• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What size Micro SD card do you have in your Switch? And what are your buying habits?

What size Micro SD card do you have in your Switch?

• None

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • 32GB or less

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 64GB

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • 128GB

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • 256GB

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • 400GB

Votes: 24 18.0%
  • 512GB

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • 1TB or more

Votes: 23 17.3%

• Total voters

Waluigilicious

Piranha Plant
Personally I have a 400GB that has run out of space, and I can't justify upgrading to a 512GB as it will run out in due course. I'm standing by until the 1TB come down in price, as currently they cost about the same as a Switch lite lol.

If a game is available both digitally and physically, I always go physical. I buy a lot of digital only games. If a digital version of a physical game is heavily discounted (usually by 50% or more), and I like it, I buy the digital version too. In the case of first party games, I give in to their measly 33% discount if I feel the game has good pick up and play appeal (Mario Kart, Mario Tennis). In extreme circumstances where I really want the game digitally, I buy both (Smash).

To make space I've had to delete all digital games that I own physically too. I've also had to delete update data for some physical games that have huge data (like MK11 - effectively not being able to play them). It sucks. What also sucks is physical games that don't have them all on the cartridge (Spyro, Bayonetta etc).

I've also now started to really go out of my way to buy "digital only" games physically to free up space. I've bought FF7 and FF8 on cartridge, NMH1 and NMH2 on cartridge (Asia version - has English), Phoenix Wright Trilogy on cartridge (Japanese version- has English) and I've made an exception and bought one of those "super rare games" because I really enjoy this one (Old School Musical)

Last edited:
My habits flip flop from digital to physical but usually skew more digital considering the number of games I buy are digital only (or on a deep discount digitally).

128gb has served me well for quite some time. My library isn't huge and the bigger games are physical.

I had a 400gb and then got a 1tb for 100 on Amazon for my OLED. I had less than 20gb on my 400gb sd card so it was time to upgrade.

On my launch Switch, that I sold back in mid-2019, I was physical-only. On my Lite, which I got around a month ago, I have purchased one digital game (SMT V preorder) and one physical game (Link’s Awakening) so far. The digital purchase was to gain access to the game as fast as possible at launch, and the physical one was because it was cheaper (less than half the digital price). It can be resold too. All told, I probably get to play Link’s Awakening for less than $5 :p
I have never replayed a game in my life (because there are too many great games I haven’t played even once), and I hate clutter. Also, I live in a country where the minimum wage is ~$200/month. Having a physical collection is a luxury most of us simply cannot afford. In my case, buying physical and reselling is more or less the only logical option.
Haven’t bought a microsd card yet because there has been no need so far. I’m a one-game-at-a-time kind of person anyway.

Last edited:
I have 400 GB with a mix of digital and physical, around 115 GB free on the card.

I had a 128GB card that filled up fast, then upgraded to a 512GB card that’s got about 150GB left. I’ve started becoming more conscious of how much space a game takes up, and have started buying physical versions of games I have digitally to avoid running out of room. I actually imported a Japanese copy of Final Fantasy X and X2, because the digital version is nearly 30 gigs and I couldn’t justify all that space knowing I could get a cartridge with both games on it.

I loathe switching cartridges for the Switch though. They’re so small, and the cartridge door is flimsy. So I got digital most of the time.

256 in my hacked OG Switch and phone, 200 in my Switch Lite and my surface go, 128 in my OLED Switch.

Mostly physical but some games like Pokémon and Animal Crossing as well as some digital only (or, annoyingly, previously digital only) games I have digitally.

If I had the money I would gladly buy a 1TB one, I'm 95% digital (except for Pokémon, Dragon Quest and something that's obligatory like Ring Fit).

I had a 128GB one for a long time but it was always, always full. Recently managed to buy a 256GB one but it is already full again, had to delete stuff for next month's games. I wish I could find 400GB/512GB cards here that don't cost an arm and a leg, but that's just how it is and I'll have to make do with 256.

Another problem is that here there are so many goddamn fakes around that you can't find an original card anywhere. I ended up buying that silly Nintendo sponsored microsd just because the seller was legit and it would be easier to get my money back if it was false.

256GB. I'm mostly digital but my library isn't that huge and I do have a few physical games.

a rather odd 200GB one, which isn't in the poll. it was slightly cheaper than the 256 GB one and i thought it was already a massive upgrade from the 64GB one i had before. i don't think i'm gonna run out of space anytime soon with it either.

The biggest upgrade for me they could've given the OLED model would've been dual mSD slots.
For me it would have been dual cartridge slots lol. I can't recall it ever happening on a console but I've always thought that'd be pretty cool. Guess no one ever thought it'd be worth the space/expense.

32GB from an old phone, though it's starting to malfunction so I'll end up having to swap sooner than later. Will probably go for 128GB after that.

For me it would have been dual cartridge slots lol. I can't recall it ever happening on a console but I've always thought that'd be pretty cool. Guess no one ever thought it'd be worth the space/expense.
Not a console technically but it was common on some MSX models.

Nintendo actually considered doing it on DS for one of the remodels too iirc.

I had a 64GB for my OG Switch and I use the same in my OLED. I think I might have like 100 games in total on the Switch, a good half being physical. Digital is for indies and sometimes games with huge sales (like when I bought Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0 for 20€ while physical was about 80€ online lol). Never had a problem, most of my digital games aren't so heavy and if so I just delete the games I don't play with at the time. 32 extra GB of the OLED will allow me to keep many more.

I’ve got a full 256GB in my launch and OLED. I want to upgrade but can get by just removing games I’m clearly not going to play anytime soon.

256GB here. Mainly got it as a means of future-proofing, as I primarily buy physical. I get digital when either the price is better or I simply cannot get a physical copy, so I've only used about 60GB or so, with the entirety of the internal storage used as well.

I own a 512gb and I ran out of space a long time ago. I think I have 160 games and most of them are digital. I want to get a tb card but I wont pay for one until it's like £50. Even then it'll probably be nearly full when I upgrade so I sometimes wonder if it's better just to keep things archived.

I think 128gb? I archive games when I finish playing them, so I doubt I've used more than a fourth of it.

128GB card for me. I buy physical whenever possible but I have a 50/50 split in physical and digital icons. I can't have everything because a few games like Mortal Kombat 11 take up a lot of space with patches and downloaded content.

I'm planning on getting a larger card for the next system. Maybe a 1TB around Black Friday. I like having as many games downloaded as I can.

I'm all digital and buy quite a few games. I had a 400GB for most of the gen, but last year it started filling up and I had to start archiving and holding off on purchases. I don't like archiving things because that kind of defeats the purpose of being all digital, the convenience. I picked up a 1TB card when they were on sale last Black Friday and the thought of storage space has been out of my mind since. It's probably more space than I'll need for the rest of the gen, but it's worth the peace of mind, y'know?

Haven't had space problems since I got a 256gb. I do archive heavily and dump my screenshots and video captures every once in a while.

I buy physical for most games that I'll play once and won't feel the need to touch again. Anything with replay value I'll try to get digital to avoid cartridge swapping though, so roguelikes and multiplayer games.

Got a 200GB card, which is more than enough for me since I buy all my games physical.

a rather odd 200GB one, which isn't in the poll. it was slightly cheaper than the 256 GB one and i thought it was already a massive upgrade from the 64GB one i had before. i don't think i'm gonna run out of space anytime soon with it either.
You weirdos can have the 256gb option lol :p

I have a ton of physical games also kind you. Plenty digital too, like indies or some multiplayer focused games like Party and Smash. But even then they use up a lot of space. All those 500mb games add up.

Heck, Smash alone takes 17gb. The biggest memory suckers on my sd card are Smash, Skyrim, Ultimate Alliance 3, and the resident evil revelation games.

512 GB - Mostly all digital. Have about 160GB left. The added 32 GB on the Switch OLED is low but welcome. I really don't want to buy another MicroSD card, 512GB was expensive enough but I also don't fancy managing downloads.

I upgraded from 256 to 400 a few months ago. While I geht most of the "big games" physical, the good EShop sales made me buy many indies and third party games.

I have 200 GB. Voted 256 GB since my option is not available. 35.5 GB left.

Physical for games I really want and will keep in my collection, but also for games I expect to sell (impossible with digital).

Digital for digital only games, deep discounts, MK8 with 33% off (my first Switch impulse buy, didn't want that game at first, turns out it is a good party game).

Animal Crossing, first voucher game. Since this game was to be played daily in shorter burst, we figured digital is the way to go.

Splatoon 2 is the only game I bought twice, physical and digital.

I deleted only some deep discount games, since they did not meet my expectations.

So far I have not hit the memory limit. I still have a backlog of unplayed games.

My wishlist fluctuates between 15-20 games.

256GB. Everything digital except some stuff for the novelty of it (like, TW3 I got physical because TW3 on one cartridge is cool as shit, and GTA Trilogy I will get physical if it is available physical).

I have the 256GB yellow Switch-branded card with the power star on it. I know it cost more than other 256GB cards but it's yellow <3 <3

Sort of tempted to get the 512GB Animal Crossing one once that drops in price a bit...

I buy as much physical as possible and held onto my 256GB sd card as long as possible, but I had to upgrade to a 1TB card last year. Just way too many good games on Switch and now I hopefully won’t have to worry about space again.

Last edited:
Moved to all digital for the Switch. Especially for multiplayer sessions it’s so convenient to just select the games without swooping cardriges.
Started with 200, then 400, 5120Gb now with a 1TB card and 400GB left.
It’s great to have everything on the go, but hurts when you realize the game is not for you. I buy physical now when I’m not fully sure about the game so I can resell or resell and buy digital on a discount.

I must have one of the smallest one with 64 GB, bought in 2018 and still don't need to upgrade it because all of my games are physical except digital only games.

Last year I upgrade to a 256 GB card, I mostly get physical games but I like get some cheap games at the eShop too. Lately, if I don't care for a physical copy and I don't care playing in portable mode I tend to get games in the Xbox digital store.

512. At some point I will have to upgrade to 1tb since I'm all digital. I only have about 90gb left right now.

64 GB. I only go digital for indie games or stuff like Castlevania, Mega Man etc. Collections and I don't have a problem uninstalling a game when I am done.

1 TV here. I buy almost every game digital. I think the main point of a portable console is having a lot of games in it without the need of having to carry a lot of cards.

Only a 64GB microSD card as I tend to buy all of my games physical. I guess it'll be enough until Nintendo's next console comes out.

Now that I have a Switch OLED, I’m considering getting rid of a microSD. I have more than 30 physical games, I never play two games at the same time, and my eShop purchases are small indie games.

I don’t think I need it, so I voted none.

1 TB. It's my main console(have Xbox one and PS4) as it fits my lifestyle. Barely have any time to sit down on a couch and play, and when I do, it's usually in a different city 😂. It will likely still be the same thing when the steam deck drops purely based on portability.

I buy all my gmses digitally, except for BOTW. Just had to get that one physical.

Back
Top Bottom