• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro What is your favourite Enix game? (or rather, just a general Enix Appreciation Thread)

What is your favourite Enix game?

• Dragon Quest (any from I to VII)

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Dragon Quest Monsters (I or II)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Torneko: The Last Hope

• ActRaiser

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Soul Blazer

• Illusion of Time/Gaia

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Terranigma

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Robotrek

• Star Ocean (I or II)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth)

• Mischief Makers

• Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

• The 7th Saga

• E.V.O.: Search for Eden

• Other (specify)

• Total voters

freedomseekr

life is noise
Pronouns
he/him
Enix_Logo.png
Starting off in 1975 as a tabloid-cum-brokerage firm (Yes, really), Enix would gradually enter the software publishing market, beginning to focus on video games starting in 1982 with one of the first titles being Love Match Tennis, a tennis sim for personal computers programmed by Yuji Horii, as well as Door Door, a single-screen platformer (think Rod Land or Rainbow Islands) by Koichi Nakamura (who, at the time was still in high school). Both would eventually end up working together on various games for Enix over the years, with Nakamura's company Chunsoft (named after an alternate reading of the 中 kanji) being the developers of Horii's The Portopia Serial Murder Case, which is seen as highly influential on adventure games (and thus, 'Visual Novels') in Japan, as well as the first five Dragon Quest games and their first spin-off, Dragon Quest: Torneko's Adventure, which in turn would create the Mystery Dungeon formula, which has been used in conjunction with Chunsoft's own Shiren The Wanderer series, as well as in further cross-overs with Dragon Quest, as well as Final Fantasy, Pokémon and Etrian Odyssey.

In 1990, Enix would publish ActRaiser, a game combining strategy and action platforming, developed by a newly-formed team made up of former members of Falcom's sound team named Quintet. Quintet would go on to produce six more games with Enix within the decade, including a sequel to ActRaiser, Robotrek and The Illusion of Time (aka Illusion of Gaia). Quintet would slowly partner up with other parties in their later period, before becoming presumably defunct in 2008. 2021 saw a release of a remake of ActRaiser published by Square Enix, leading many to believe that Square Enix has at least some of the rights to Quintet's back catalogue.

Another dev team with a similar history would show up late in the SNES's life cycle. Made up of members of Wolfteam, a studio formerly owned by Telenet Japan (where they had the created, among other titles, the first game in the Valis series) and having just released Tales of Phantasia for the SNES with Namco, the newly-founded tri-Ace would release Star Ocean in 1996, which received a sequel a few years later on the PlayStation, where they also published the first entry to the Valkyrie Profile series. After the merger with competitor Square(soft) in 2003, both series were still retained on the company's game roster and received two new entries this year in the form of Valkyrie Elysium and Star Ocean: The Divine Force, though only the latter would be made by tri-Ace themselves, who had been purchased by mobile gaming company Nepro in 2015.

Throughout the 1990s, Enix would work together with various other companies, such as Almanic/Givro (E.V.O. Search for Eden, Wonder Project J), Tose (Dragon Quest Monsters) and Produce (The 7th Saga), as well as handle publishing duties in the West for Japanese companies (notably, the first entry in the Ogre series by Quest Corp. was localized for America by Enix) and vice versa (including the Sega Saturn and PlayStation versions of Riven and the PlayStation version of Tomb Raider III). They would also, in 1993, create their own manga imprint named Gangan Comics, which, across many magazines, publishes titles such as Kingdom Hearts, High Score Girl, My Dress-Up Darling, Inu x Boku SS, The Mandalorian (Yes. The Mandalorian has a manga adaptation) and Fullmetal Alchemist.

The end of the 90s would spell trouble for Enix, as various titles such as Dragon Quest VII (developed by Heartbeat, who had taken over development duties from Chunsoft starting with Dragon Quest VI) and Dragon Quest Monsters II experienced delays. Especially the release of DQ VII being delayed from 1999 to 2000 had cut into the company's profit-to-sales ratio for FY99 and ended up hurting Enix's evaluation on the stock market. In 2000, Enix would begin talks with former competitor Square Co. Ltd about merging the companies, which was delayed by the financial losses of Square's first foray into film, 2001's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Two years later, following the success of titles such as Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X, as well as a capital injection by Sony, the merger could go through and both companies became Square Enix (officially: Square Enix Holdings) on April 1, 2003. Two days prior, Enix would release the last game under that name, Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart for the GameBoy Advance.

After the merger, Square Enix would continue production of some of Enix's most notable series, including Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and Valkyrie Profile. Square Enix would also bring many of these games to Europe for the first time by way of a series of remakes on the PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS, as well as full localization of games such as Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King.

So, why this thread?

Well, the short answer is that I feel Enix is underappreciated. They were key players in shaping the Japanese game industry at the tail end of the 1980s and published a catalogue of rather intriguing games throughout the 1990s, but their praise seems to go largely unsung. Part of this may be on language barriers, as well as many of their games seeing releases in the West rather irregularly compared to Squaresoft's, part of it may be the rather nasty toxicity spewed about them in the late 2000s, as Square Enix was slowly struggling and games like Final Fantasy XII and XIII received mixed-to-negative receptions with the common wisdom (falsely!) proclaiming that without The Spirits Within, the merger wouldn't have happened (this is wrong, talks of the merger began in 2000, TSW became a box-office flop in 2001) and that "Enix [had] ruined Squaresoft" (despite the majority of those working on both titles being mainly staff who had been with Square since the mid-1990s, including directors Hiroyuki Ito (XII) and Motomu Toriyama (XIII) and Enix, as a result, seemingly being written off as an also-ran who tried to capitalize on Squaresoft's popularity, a narrative so bone-headedly wrong and misinformed that it borders on conspiratorial thought.

It's also worth noting that Enix was one of the Japanese publishers still willing to work with Nintendo during the 5th gen. While their output was more focussed on the PlayStation, which was far more popular in Japan, they took over publishing duty for Wonder Project J2 by Givro (which was the then-new name of Almanic) as well as Treasure's Mischief Makers. They also poured support into the GameBoy, mainly by way of ports of the first three Dragon Quest games as well as a new spin-off series created specifically for the GameBoy called Dragon Quest Monsters, whereas Squaresoft cut ties with Nintendo so hard, they had decided to support Bandai's WonderSwan portable console instead.

How do you feel about Enix in general? Should Square Enix make more of an effort to bring back some of the company's 90s catalogue? And, if you've played any of Enix's games, which is your favourite?

Mine is Terranigma, but it's SUUUUPER closely tied with Valkyrie Profile.

Last edited:
I'm not terribly well-versed in Enix, having mostly missed Dragon Quest and being primarily a Square fanboy, but curiosity got the best of me after years of hearing about "the only game to rival Chrono Trigger" and as of 2021 I've finally played Terranigma. Actually I played through the whole "Quintet Trilogy" in one go but Terranigma is the one that actually made me feel something. I don't even know how to describe the feeling, but it was like nothing I'd ever played before, and yet at the same time, somehow nostalgic. The world was immersive and the story was somehow beautiful and heartwrenching. It was almost surreal, experiencing the lore they built. And the way they built the gameplay and progression around really driving the lore home, rather than simply using traditional game progression and then building the lore through exposition or something, it was incredible. I felt like I was in that growing world, isolated and exploring, watching my actions shape the world's history in a way I haven't really felt since Chrono Trigger.

I genuinely hope the Act Raiser remake is an indication that they're looking to revisit the Enix part of Squeenix, because Terranigma deserves to be unleashed on the modern gaming world.

I cried at the end of a 16-bit game, yall. It's good.

The only Enix game I’ve played from the poll is Illusion of Gaia because my brother had it. I really enjoyed watching him play through it (I was young then), but could never beat it myself. I got trapped in one of the dungeons and struggled for a few hours trying to get out, but never did.

Wish they’d rerelease it so I could finally beat it one day.

It's gotta be DQ. The early games were my formative jRPG experiences, and both III and IV are outstanding exemplars of the genre even today.

I played through Terranigma once, about 20 years ago, and while some of the music and atmosphere has stuck with me, I don't have any desire to revisit it.

Very few of their games released here in the 90s, although I did enjoy Actraiser. I got to play Dragon Quest IV, V and VI only on DS, and they immediately cemented themselves as some of my favourite JRPGs. I love them all but DQV in particular I prefer to even FFVI and Chrono Trigger. It’s a magical story, and also neither DQIV or V get enough credit for constantly changing up the party to keep things interesting. Easily my favourite 16-bit rpgs.

Dragon Quest I through VI are awesome, especially 2/4/5/6 (not a giant fan of 3, and 1 felt like a prototype for the entire genre). V is probably my favorite, feeling like a genuinely epic adventure throughout generations while being paced in a way that doesn't make it feel daunting.

I played some of ActRaiser as a kid but never got a handle on it. Its action half seemed like a pretty solid action platformer, somewhat reminiscent of Super Castlevania IV, another SNES launch game, but the simcity stuff completely lost me. I played it with my cousin once, with me handling the platforming and my cousin handling some of the god sim stuff, and that was a bit more fun.

Star Ocean 1 is kinda rough, but 2 is great stuff. To date probably has my favorite completely 2D action RPG battle system, and it's just a cozy sci-fi romp.

Based on that poll, I haven’t played any Enix games at all. I have lots of experience with Squaresoft games, and obviously Square Enix games, but not any Enix games. I think that’s probably because I didn’t start seriously start playing games until the N64, then later on went back and played some classic SNES games like earlier Final Fantasy games or Super Mario RPG.

I do want to get into the Dragon Quest series at some point in my life. I remember thinking that DQVII looked cool.

Probably Actraiser. I haven't played very many Enix games, seen a playthrough of Terranigma that looked cool though. Oddly the only one I owned growing up was 7th Saga, which is a WEIRD game that I wouldn't call very good, but it was interesting and kind of unique

I actually got my first taste of Enix-published games with Illusion of Time (as it was called in PAL-land) in the late 90s. I recall spotting it at a car-boot sale as a loose cartridge and just being drawn to the artwork. Back then some stalls would have a TV hooked up to a console so you could be given a quick demo before you bought but this seller didn't and so I just had to go in blind.

I'm so glad I did because that game is wonderful. Beautiful graphics, amazing sound, and tactile combat. The closest thing I'd played at tha time to my beloved A Link to the Past.

Thanks to emulation I was able to play the prequel and sequel but Illusion of Time remains my favourite of the quadrilogy. (There was another spiritual sequel called the Granstream Saga released for PS1.)

Somebody at Square Enix has surely floated the idea of a packaged re-release or re-imagining of these iconic games?

ActRaiser is also a gem. DQ11 was my first DQ but I'm ashamed to say it remains unfinished despite putting so many hours into it. Hard to go back to and the end-game seems to go on forever.

I need to play more Enix. OP is right, definitely underrated probably in part because DQ was always overshadowed by FF in the North America.

Last edited:
Somebody at Square Enix has surely floated the idea of a packaged re-release or re-imagining of these iconic games?
Well, ActRaiser got a remake last year which, as I mentioned in the OP, has led many to believe that Square Enix may still own some of the rights from the Quintet games. However, since a lot of Enix' releases were in conjunction with other studios (despite having internal dev staff) and with some of these, it may be difficult to make something new with these IPs. Especially Quintet's status seems mildly unclear, as they are considered defunct but have reorganized to become Shade (who made The Granstream Saga and, more recently, Super Bullet Break, Gun Gun Pixies and Kandagawa Jet Girls) and it's unclear who owns the rights to what.

On another topic, this just floated across my timeline and I think it's funny (especially given the PC-98 also has a game named Sex II):

Last week I played The Portopia Serial Murder Case, published by Enix, developed by Chunsoft and directed by Yuji Horii. It was really cool. It's basically the grandfather of the modern mystery VN/adventure game genre. It actually is a fairly solid game by today's standards too. I'd recommend the Famicom version with a fan patch for any fans of the genre.

That's not my favorite Enix game or anything, but I thought I'd talk about it since it's cool and a bit lesser known.

Anyway, the correct answer is Dragon Quest V

Edit: or Illusion of Gaia, that game owns (haven't played Terranigma)

Of the few I've played, I'd say either Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma. I just love those RPGs. I need to finish Star Ocean on the Switch so I can officially say it's my favorite one though.

In fact, I need all of these games to come to the Switch. This platform is already the best RPG machine (currently having a blast with Tactics Ogre) and I want any and all classics I've never gotten to play to come ASAP.

I chose ActRaiser, mainly because it was such a unique premise and did a lot of cool things for the time. Plus anytime I can mention Yuzo Koshiro, I have to. I think over time though, I’ve come to appreciate the SNES Dragon Quest games, as I feel these are some of the best in the series. Enix a very good publisher. Need to get Mischief Makers on NSO since that is awesome and most every other major Treasure game is on the system in some capacity now (Bangai-O and Gradius V excepted).

Dragon Quest 3 is my favorite, but really Valkyrie Profile is very close, was a very unique experience. I also have to add Bust a Groove / Move since it was published by them in japan and it's one of the best rythm game of the PS era

I almost feel a little silly posting here since I've only played Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma and a bit of Mischief Makers... All three are great games, but my vote has to go to Terranigma, a true SNES gem.

I hope we get a re-release or even a remake someday.

I almost feel a little silly posting here since I've only played Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma and a bit of Mischief Makers... All three are great games, but my vote has to go to Terranigma, a true SNES gem.

I hope we get a re-release or even a remake someday.
Well then I'm silly too because I only played Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. And my vote was Terranigma.

basically, don't feel silly

Well then I'm silly too because I only played Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. And my vote was Terranigma.

basically, don't feel silly
I never actually played Soul Blazer, I'd get down to it if Square Enix actually gave us a legal way to play these games. I don't want to preserve it.

more nfts?

if i remember correctly Portopia's IP was partially shared with Chunsoft like their development work on the first five dragon quest games is. they're listed on the page for the old mobile port.
© 2005-2007 ARMOR PROJECT / CHUNSOFT / SQUARE ENIX All Rights Reserved.
said rights would have still stayed with them even after they merged with that other company, as the modern switch ports of Dragon Quest contain a similar notice.
© 1986, 2019 ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/SPIKE CHUNSOFT/SQUARE ENIX All Rights Reserved.
(bird studio would be Akira Toriyama's art company, and not related to this)

I am really really behind on my Enix games apparently. I've only played two games on that list. Dragon Quest IV and V.

Dragon Quest V wins.

God I loved SNES and PS1/GBC era Enix. The Gaia trilogy might just be the best series in gaming from that time imo.

Enix is still killing it today as that's basically the R&D group within Creative Business Unit II. They're responsible for not just Dragon Quest but also NieR, Bravely and the HD-2D games. Oddly the tri-Ace series (Star Ocean, Valkyrie) moved over under the "old Square" production side though (CBU1).

Back
Top Bottom