• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro What is your favorite Twin Peaks inspired game?

Which is your favorite?

• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

• Mother 2 / Earthbound

• Mizzurna Falls

• Silent Hill

• The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

• Silent Hill 2

• Persona 4

• 428: Shibuya Scramble

• Deadly Premonition

• Alan Wake

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yzz

Like Like
Pronouns
She/Her
Twin Peaks and David Lynch have had an enormous influence on video games, specially the japanese game industry. Link's Awakening is one of the earliest examples of a game which took inspiration from the TV show, something that the creators have addressed more than one time. Although games like LA and Earthbound borrowed from Twin Peaks in little doses, later games like Mizzurna Falls were heavily modeled after the show, both in its aesthetic and concept. Lynch and TP started losing relevance in the 00s among the general public, but video game creators were still obsessed with them, with games like Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake releasing all the way into 2010 – 20 years after TP aired for the first time.

Much like Twin Peaks itself, many of the games that the show inspired attained cult status, ranging from the divisive (Deadly Premonition) to undisputed classics (Majora's Mask, Silent Hill 2, among others). Which of these games is your personal favorite, and which one do you think replicates TP / Lynch the best?

It’s between Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake for me, with Deadly Premonition just barely winning.

Though I’ve never really considered Persona 4 to be much of a Lynchian game. It is one of my favorites and the only Twin Peaks part that crossed my mind was the (Blue) Velvet Room. Gives me a bit to think about.

As far as actual inspiration, Deadly Premonition hands down. Before Season 3 came out I'd even describe DP as "better" Twin Peaks because whatever was going on in the show by the end was just all over the place. Deadly Premonition has issues, in both story and gameplay, but it was a singular vision as opposed to the show becoming actual soap with Looney Tunes stuff and only sometimes actual Lynch vibes.
If we just go by what's my favorite game on the list, it's probably a tie between Majora's Mask and Earthbound.

I haven't played Alan Wake, but I gotta go with Silent Hill. Much like Metal Gear Solid ended up becoming gaming James Bond despite being very unique and having its own ideas, it's kind of crazy how much Silent Hill feels like gamings Twin Peaks, with even a lot more simlarities between them than MGS and James Bond, and yet it still feels very original and unique. I don't know how they did that, as a Twin Peaks fan there was never a moment where I just reduced a moment to being too Peaks-like, and that's crazy considering how similar certain parts of the concept are. It's awesome.

As far as actual inspiration, Deadly Premonition hands down. Before Season 3 came out I'd even describe DP as "better" Twin Peaks because whatever was going on in the show by the end was just all over the place. Deadly Premonition has issues, in both story and gameplay, but it was a singular vision as opposed to the show becoming actual soap with Looney Tunes stuff and only sometimes actual Lynch vibes.
I don't know, Twin Peaks was kind of always soap opera to a very large extent. If anything it's kind of sad how much of it was removed in Season 3, because there was an almost undeniable effect on the character writing, where a lot of characters only got development either before the show starts in the time lapse, or at the very end of the show. And as much as Season 2 is the least consistent season by far, it also has the best ending of any seasons. It's basically what Season 3 did where it leaves on a cliff hanger, but more imaginative and meaningful and bleaker.

I like that there's two Zelda choices here. MM is one of my all time favorite games so I picked that, though it's maybe less directly inspired compared to others.

Deadly Premonition feels like a direct to video, slasher rip off of Twin Peaks imo, and it's still very good, but it feels more like a surface level pastiche of it (and David Lynch in the early 1990's was able to respectfully portray a trans character, unlike whatever happened in DP2 so unfortunately they didn't take that lesson), than something that took inspiration from it to make something new.

I think Alan Wake/Control-verse would be up there for sure, for me Link's Awakening is such a fun, all ages appropriate way of taking that inspiration from Twin Peaks and making something new out of it that makes for one of the more affecting Zelda stories that it's probably my favourite, even if the inspiration isn't heavily embroidered on its sleeve like some of the others.

Also would include Thimbleweed Park as an X-Files/Twin Peaks mash up that was a lot of fun

Last edited:
Not watched Twin Peaks, but out of the games you listed 428 is peak fiction raw kino zenith of the medium.

335888499_222494057004201_3170748865792610660_n.png

Making me choose between Mother 2 and Link’s Awakening for any poll is a sick joke.

(Went Mother 2 because I figured LA would get more love anyways)

I started watching Twin Peaks this year and dropped it after like 5 episodes but it's fascinating how other people see something that I couldn't see in the show. Maybe it changes in the last episodes of the season, but the show I watched had nothing to do with those games. It's so intriguing, makes me wanna go back and try it again, but I really wasn't enjoying it.

Lynch and TP started losing relevance in the 00s among the general public, but video game creators were still obsessed with them, with games like Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake releasing all the way into 2010 – 20 years after TP aired for the first time.

Hmm, I disagree with this. Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks: The Return were both pretty popular at the time of their release and continue to be talked about a lot years later. Mulholland Drive also had a lot of award buzz at the time. People were asking for new Twin Peaks for many years and The Return was successful for Showtime, driving the highest subscription service they've ever seen.

For this poll I went with Deadly Premonition since it had a similar charm as the show that I think SWERY really captured but Silent Hill 2 and Link's Awakening are such special games.

I voted for Link's Awakening, but I'll use this thread to leave a shoutout for Puzzle Agent, which is a combination of Twin Peaks and Professor Layton. Doesn't quite achieve the level it could be at, but it's at least interesting. There's a sequel as well, but it didn't run on my laptop ages ago when I tried it.

Last edited:
Oof, I'm going to try and rank the choices here out of the games I've played:

1. Deadly Premonition
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  3. Silent Hill
  4. Earthbound
  5. Alan Wake
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The others I haven't played. To be honest, games 1 through 4 could come up in any order - they're all great. I like Alan Wake but I don't love it - in fact never finished it although the remaster is sitting on my XBSS waiting for me to finish it up. The only game I don't enjoy on the list is Majora's Mask and that is only due to the time mechanic which I vehemently dislike - the OoT gameplay, artwork and general vibes are all top notch.

I didn't realize I've played a lot. To rank the ones I have from the OP:

1. Persona 4
2. Majora's Mask
3. EarthBound
4. Alan Wake
5. Link's Awakening
6. 428

I quite like all of them a lot (except 428), so maybe it's finally time to watch Twin Peaks one of these days.

This seems relevant to the thread:

Co-creator of Twin Peaks was a consultant on Link’s Awakening

It is really difficult to choose between Link's Awakening and Silent Hill 2, two fantastic pieces of software.

Back
Top Bottom