• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is the strangest game you love?

big lantern ghost

the notorious blg
Pronouns
he/him
I love a strange game, and for me one in particular out-stranges the rest: Cruelty Squad. If you’re not familiar, it’s a little bit like Hitman and Deus Ex met up with Rainbow Six and everyone took a boatload of LSD, in hell:

I love it. I completely understand why someone would hate this game. It’s intentionally noisy, abrasive, hard on the eyes. It feels straight-up confrontational to play it. But the mood is so expertly realized — its nightmare reflection of the doomed world humans have made for themselves so singular — I sink right into it.

What about you? What’s the strangest game you love?

Mine is Tux and Fanny, a no-stakes adventure game where you play as two friends trying to reinflate their soccer ball. Though it takes place entirely within their house, yard, and a bit of the neighboring forest, this game goes places.

I have such a soft spot for Stretch Panic…

Treasure had really interesting stuff in this era, like this and Wario World. It’s not the most complex concept (it’s basically just if a boss rush were a whole game + stretching) but it has always had an appeal to me.

I love Return of the Obra Dinn which is an undeniably weird game that just happened to be hugely popular. Same with Inscryption

I also played a lot of Fallen London back when it was still called Echo Bazaar, and while I have trouble recommending it now for lots of reasons (one of which is that, as a browser based live service game, I can't speak to what the game has become), it is unabashedly weird, and that's why I loved it.

Mine is Tux and Fanny, a no-stakes adventure game where you play as two friends trying to reinflate their soccer ball. Though it takes place entirely within their house, yard, and a bit of the neighboring forest, this game goes places.
You and the trailer have convinced me. Downloading now

It's not up to the level of the first examples in the thread, but I've found Horace to be both a weird and a wonderful game. The story is all over the place and I'm never quite sure when it's trying to be serious or funny, but I like it exactly for that. The combination of the Meatboy-esque difficult platforming with a story like that also feels odd, but mostly in a charming way.

In Super Mario Bros., you play an Italian plumber that gets bigger when he eats a mushroom... was Nintendo on drugs when they made this???

Tanks! in Wii Play was one of the best experiences I had on that console. The other mini-games range from actively terrible to meh. Tanks! slapped so hard, the quality of the other games didn’t even matter. I only bought Wii Play because it was the easiest way to get a second Wii Remote back then so in a sense, Wii Play was only $10. Absolutely worth it for Tanks!

Last edited:
Golden Light, which I didn't actually play a lot of, is a roguelike prop hunt game where everything in the environment is made of flesh.

I’ve played hundreds of hours of Out of the Park Baseball games and I don’t even play the individual games. I just manage the team and sim.

Pepsi Man is a game I genuinely love, Gubble I like because its Gubble, not much more to say

Back in the DS era I loved this B-tier game called Avalon Code, where you ran around hitting things with your magic book. This gave you a codex page that gave you some info about the monster, NPC, weapon or geographic feature... that you could change on a whim. Starter mobs too strong? Give it the weakness effects that your starting sword had. Sword gets stronger, mob gets weaker. Random NPC suffering from a deathly illness? Stack on the bless, water and hope effects and cure her. You could use the same effect on your consumables to turn them into healing items. And of course you had to scan everything into the book because the end of the world is coming and you're needed to lifeboat everything into the next one.

Game was a total mess of systems and ideas that turned some pretty stock elements into a fun romp.

Is Baba Is You weird enough? Then Baba Is You. Viva Piñata is also a fricking strange concept if you think about it.

There was a demo on the Switch eShop, I played it until this point

Tux-and-Fanny-teeth.jpg

and then bought the game.

Back
Top Bottom