• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is the best first party game of all time NOT by Nintendo?

Gotta give it to Bloodborne. That does count as first party, yeah? Checks OP It does!

Even though, it still feels a bit like cheating given it's more on FROM's skill than on Sonys side.

Halo 2 would be my pick. But I think God of War Ragnarok is gonna steal the crown.

Last edited:
Oh man. It's tough but my shortlist for internally made stuff:

Sega
  • Phantasy Star (SMS)
  • Ghouls 'n Ghosts (MD)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 1/2/3K (MD)
  • Phantasy Star IV (MD)
  • Panzer Dragoon 1/Zwei/Saga (SS)
  • NiGHTS (SS)
  • Fighters Megamix (SS)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth (SS)
  • jaw dropping CTS team arcade ports (SS) of Sega Rally, Daytona CCE, STTC
  • Jet Grind Radio (DC)
  • Skies of Arcadia (DC)
  • Phantasy Star Online (DC)
Hudson
  • Neutopia 1/2 (TG16)
  • Bomberman 93/94 (TG16)
  • Soldier trilogy (TG16)
  • Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (TGCD)
SNK
  • Samurai Shodown 1/2/4 (Neo)
  • Metal Slug 1/2/X/3 (Neo)
  • The Last Blade 1/2 (Neo)
  • Garou (Neo)
PlayStation
  • Ape Escape (PS1)
  • Ico (PS2)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
  • LocoRoco (PSP)
Xbox
  • Phantom Dust (Xbox)

db990da07069484611c8420373490fcb

I mean.. even though when Naughty Dog made this they weren't owned by Sony, the game is still published by them!

Also, the franchise being multiplat these days should apply the same way early Sonic games counts as "1st Party" for SEGA consoles. ;P

db990da07069484611c8420373490fcb

I mean.. even though when Naughty Dog made this they weren't owned by Sony, the game is still published by them!

Also, the franchise being multiplat these days should apply the same way early Sonic games counts as "1st Party" for SEGA consoles. ;P
I actually tackle this situation in the OP, but simply a platform holder publishing a game doesn’t count. The definition of first party here is that the platform holder funded and/or owns a stake in the game, which was not the case for these Crash titles (conversely, Ratchet and Clank or Death Stranding would count because Sony did own the IP even if they don’t own the developer).

I actually tackle this situation in the OP, but simply a platform holder publishing a game doesn’t count. The definition of first party here is that the platform holder funded and/or owns a stake in the game, which was not the case for these Crash titles (conversely, Ratchet and Clank or Death Stranding would count because Sony did own the IP even if they don’t own the developer).
So we classify Crash and Spyro for Sony the same way as Bayonetta for Nintendo? It's fine by me, but otherwise I don't have a big baggage with Sony 1st Party offerings '^'

It's a difficult question to answer, because there's so much I love from Sega, Hudson, Sony, etc...

Right now, maybe just because it's Christmas season, I'm going to say NiGHTS into Dreams. It plays so well with the Saturn's analogue controller. Great looking stages, really cute character designs, excellent music... it's just such a fun arcade-style title that really captures the feeling of flight to me. It plays like a dream!

The answer is always Xi / Devil Dice. ALWAYS.
SIE might not have appreciated what it had, but I sure as hell do.

Yup. Or even the original Gears trilogy for MS
Bayo 2/3 are Nintendo produced though. It's just a licensed IP, no different from Popeye, Tetris, SimCity, Jump or Fatal Frame, they're all technically 1st party.

Same for the Gears trilogy, MS funded dev and published globally even though they didn't own the IP (MS did this a lot on OG Xbox and early 360). I'm not sure how the setup was for Crash between Universal and Sony, I guess it was different?

Imo, probably Spider-Man 2018 and/or Miles Morales. Bias talking, but I LOVE Spider-Man and those are easily the best one's I've ever played and the best 1st party game from Sony I've ever played.

It's Bloodborne for me, and it's not even close. The gap between it and every other PS first party game is just that huge.
I'd say a very distant second for me would probably be The Last Guardian! Followed (closely) by Soul Sacrifice (Delta). Yeah, pretty sure that's what my top 3 non-Nintendo first party games would look like. Which basically boils down to PlayStation first party games, in my case. Can't think of any MS or Sega first party release that I've ever played to completion, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom