• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is Sakurai working on?

What game is Sakurai working on?

• Smash

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Kid Icarus

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Smash DLC only

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters

k samedi

Moblin
It's been almost 4 years since Smash released and with Sakurai being a serious workaholic I think he started a new game soon after Smash finished up. So, what is he working on? I feel that Smash still has a lot of sales power left in it and that it will sell well for another few years so I don't think he's working on Smash personally. I think it will be a new Kid Icarus.

Smash still hasn't finished up though.

He's described Smash as being a continuous 9-year development period for him, between the start of Smash 4 after Uprising finished up, to now making DLC for Ultimate. It truly is his life's work at this point; he hasn't been working on something else on the side while the DLC fighters were being developed, he's still incredibly involved in the creation of that content.

I don't think he started working on a new game. He didn't with Smash 4 as far as I remember when the DLC was still going for that game.

I really don't think he's been involved in anything other than Smash DLC.

Smash still hasn't finished up though.

He's described Smash as being a continuous 9-year development period for him, between the start of Smash 4 after Uprising finished up, to now making DLC for Ultimate. It truly is his life's work at this point; he hasn't been working on something else on the side while the DLC fighters were being developed, he's still incredibly involved in the creation of that content.
I don't think he is only working on the dlc btw. I figure that if he made a full game ground up with 80 characters in 4 years (Smash Ultimate) it would not take him another 4 years for an extra 10 chars. I think the dlc is a side project and he has something major cooking.

I also don’t think he’s working on anything new yet. I don’t think he would develop a new Kid Icarus as well. I think I read somewhere that he doesn’t like sequels (ironic as it might be).

I wish he would work on Star Fox. I think he could do a good job with lots of content (if Kid Icarus is any indication of how he approaches content).

I need a brand new Meteos. I know he can make it work on Switch!

I don't think he is only working on the dlc btw. I figure that if he made a full game ground up with 80 characters in 4 years (Smash Ultimate) it would not take him another 4 years for an extra 10 chars. I think the dlc is a side project and he has something major cooking.
He didn't start preparing Ultimate's project plan until Corrin and Bayonetta were close to completion in Smash 4, and full pre-production didn't begin until a few months after those two launched.

I feel pretty confident in saying he hasn't been working on a new game alongside Ultimate's DLC.

Sakurai is the type of person who playtests everything, so each character just takes that much more time to work on. Clearly this game does not have the same team as the original release, otherwise I'd seriously question the length of time to develop a set of characters this long.

I wholeheartedly want Sakurai to try something new after Smash, but I don't know if he wants that.

I'm more likely to see him announce his debut as a vtuber.

Doubt he'll be working on anything except Smash atm, and he'll probably take a break after that.

But after that? Well, who knows. I'd hope for a follow up to KI:U in some way

I honestly have a feeling he is going to take a bit of a break after the final DLC character.

The development of the last DLC fighter shouldn't have been done by now?

I could see him engaged with a smaller project before the inevitable smash sequel.

I would like him to take the concept of Kid Icarus and make a sequel or reimagine it into a Star Fox game. Space battles then land and Fox gets out and has some shooting/fighting skirmishes then back into the Arwing.

I'm also in camp Smash DLC only. After that I hope he gets to take a long break before he works on the next game.

Wonder if another Project Sora type of arrangement is in the cards. I know that the development of Kid Icarus Uprising wasn't a great experience for Sakurai but I'd love for him to mentor a new generation of game developers at his new studio. He's probably content working like this, though.

I really doubt he is working only on Smash DLC

Before Smash 4 DLC was done he had already presented the documentation for Ultimate, so probably he already presented his next project

I heard he's been putting together some Ikea furniture and grinding some events in The iDOLM@STER Million Live Theater Days.

As much as I think he's done a superb job stewarding Smash, I would like to see him take on something else next. Uprising was superb and needs a Switch port, and Sakurai should be let loose on a new project.

I think he moves into being more of a mentor for the next Smash project, whatever that ends up being while working on smaller projects from here on. Where do you go after Ultimate after it being his life work.

Hopefully Kid Icarus or something new. It's a shame he's been developing Smash for 10 straight years.

Overseeing the final weeks of adjustements for Smash Ultimate, and probably starting to think about what's next for him.
Ultimately, I think he'll just go on to design the next Smash. He'll probably think along the lines of "what's next after Ultimate ? How do you top it ? Is it impossible ?", it's something that he has mentionned after Ultimate's reveal, talking about the Pandora's Box. How can you come up with another game after Ultimate ? You can't make it again. But if you do less, people will be disappointed.

I really think he'll find the challenge attractive and probably won't feel like letting someone else take care of it now that it's such an uncertain time for what's next for Smash.
And Smash development cycle are so long that he can start fully pre-producing it on 2022 and it probably won't come out until 2026. The next system will be there by then.

Personally I'd just think it'd be kinda weird for Sakurai to hype up Ultimate marking the end of a decades worth of Smash development that started with Smash 4 back in 2012...only for him to then jump straight to working on the next Smash right away.

Sakurai said it himself, if Nintendo asks him to do Smash he will answer.
And with almost 25 million units sold, and likely to sell 30M+.. you bet Nintendo would want him to make smash for Switch 2.

Maybe he's doing something small on the side, but until Sakurai says absolutely no - He's gonna make smash until he retires like the workaholic he is.

I'd love for him to take some time off and try something new.. but I think his maingig will continue to be Smash.

It is late enough in the Smash DLC dev cycle ( work on the final character is almost assuredly done, but there might by more adjustments and fixes to be made in the game ) that he is probably kicking around some ideas, but I highly doubt he is working heavily on any other project. I think leading Smash development is an all hands on deck scenario, or at least that's the impression that I get, what with him being a very hands on leader/director.

I was be ecstatic if he was developing a Kid Icarus: Uprising followup, as I absolutely loved that game ( also going from all the comments I've read over the years, I'm one of maybe 3 people that played it who's hands didn't hurt ). As far as I can tell the game was a relative financial success, at least from the standpoint of a revival of a franchise that had been dormant for over 20 years at the time on a system that had launched only a year prior with a shaky start. But I get the feeling from interviews and assorted comments he and others have given that the development of Uprising was a very rough ride and thoroughly unpleasant for most involved( seemingly due to a variety of factors including working on new hardware and working with a new team structure and the fragmented nature of the dev team ), this probably puts a big damper on that series ever continuing.

Didn't Sakurai say he is done with Kid Icarus?

I remember years ago Hideo Kojima said he would like Sakurai to make a Metal Gear game. I wonder if Konami would license the ip to Sakurai if Sakurai were actually interested.

Didn't Sakurai say he is done with Kid Icarus?

I remember years ago Hideo Kojima said he would like Sakurai to make a Metal Gear game. I wonder if Konami would license the ip to Sakurai if Sakurai were actually interested.
I don't know if he's ever said that he's done with it as in not willing to be involved. Be he as spoken numerous times about the difficulty of it's development process and that he does not think a remake/remaster or sequel would be possible without great difficulty and does not see it as very likely to continue. Even though he doesn't say anything definitively, if you read between the lines it does not seem like he sees a future for the franchise.

If all the scuttlebutt over the last few days is any indication it seems Konami has other plans for Metal Gear. But I would love if Nintendo were to give Sakurai the opportunity to re-imagine or revitalize one of their other dormant properties, that is if he even has one in mind that he likes.

Sakurai had an offer to make a VR game for Oculus I believe. I don’t see why he wouldn’t give it another shot with Smash done. I think at the time he didn’t do it because it was a small user base.

That was back in 2015. The audience is a little bigger since then (of course not some huge audience).

Sakurai had an offer to make a VR game for Oculus I believe. I don’t see why he wouldn’t give it another shot with Smash done. I think at the time he didn’t do it because it was a small user base.

That was back in 2015. The audience is a little bigger since then (of course not some huge audience).
I guess it's worth remembering that he isn't beholden to Nintendo the company or their systems in any way, and he could easily decide to move over to something else. I think he had previously expressed an interest in working on other platforms or at least an openness to the idea, so if Ultimate really is the culmination of SMASH he might take this opportunity to move on.

Selfishly I kinda want him to remain connected to Nintendo as I only really game in this ecosystem these days and I really do love his body of work, but if he has a strong desire to branch out it's probably best for him to take the opportunity to do so, even if just for his personal satisfaction.

Nintendo’s going to want a new Smash in a few years, and I think he’s too protective of his baby to let anyone else do it, so…

Whatever he ends up doing, next I'm down for it. Besides Smash, Meteos and especially Kid Icarus Uprising are among my favourite games ever.

Back
Top Bottom