• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is/are your favorite cuisine(s)

I love a curry although I’m aware the stuff we get here in the UK isn’t the same as it would be in India. I still like it though, our local place is always an great night out, the food and the staff are awesome.

I love cuisine that is focussed on small and diverse portions, think sushi or tapas-like food. Love Asian cuisine and South European cuisine.

in terms of category, probably traditional American comfort food. A Chicago style Hot Dog is one of my favorites. Japanese cuisine also ranks pretty highly.

My faves tend to be southeast Asian: Vietnamese, Thai, Laotian, Malaysian, Indonesian. Also love Japanese, Korean, Sichuan, Indian.

I really like Italian, Indian, Korean, Japanese, French, British (well I’m from there and we do have a lot of tasty dishes), Mexican, and of course Chinese.

I just love food in general but if I had to choose just a few... how about my five core favorites (no particular order): British, Indian, Thai, Italian, Mexican.

I'll eat just about anything Italian and Japanese. Chinese and Mexican slightly less so but still lots of great food there.

1. Various Asian cuisine (I don’t want to put one over another, just put it in my face)
2. Italian
3. Mexican

Q. Taco Bell

Several years ago, I went to Taco Bell with a friend, and he changed his mind after I already ordered because he wanted California Tortilla instead. He was really apologetic. I merely said, “I don’t want tacos; I want Taco Bell.”

Indian cuisine is my favorite. Vindaloo, korma, biryani, tikka masala, and so on. My local place is fantastic, and the owner is an amazing guy. Within a short walking distance, so really the only downside is how expensive it can get, if I eat there too often. Gotta be careful with that.

Mexican would be a close second. I'm always up for some carne asada or al pastor tacos.

oh shit maybe I should finally watch that
The second episode is much better than the first, and was finally completed and released last month. I think it's amazing! The only downside is that since it's one guy doing most of the story, animation, music, voice acting, etc., it (understandably) takes him a super long time to put these out. The third episode won't see completion for a few years, though he does have other animators helping him.

Italian
Japanese
Chinese
Thai
Indian
Mexican
Vietnamese
Korean

There's loads.

I'm having ramen for lunch today. Getting hungry!

Indian cuisine is my favorite. Vindaloo, korma, biryani, tikka masala, and so on. My local place is fantastic, and the owner is an amazing guy. Within a short walking distance, so really the only downside is how expensive it can get, if I eat there too often. Gotta be careful with that.

Mexican would be a close second. I'm always up for some carne asada or al pastor tacos.

Karahi and Balti are my faves nowadays. Used to gorge myself on vindaloos & phal curries in my younger days, definitely felt that the next day lol.

I'm personally fond of Italian food, always in mood for some good lasagna

Lasagna is life.

Italian, South Indian, Thai, Japanese, Vegan Soul Food, American Comfort, Ashkenazi Jewish, Georgian (the country), Korean, Tex Mex, uhhhhhh really I'll try anything as long as it fits within my dietary restrictions. I just like trying new things.

Peruvian, Mexican, Italian, Indian, French, Thai, and obviously Spanish

I love a curry although I’m aware the stuff we get here in the UK isn’t the same as it would be in India. I still like it though, our local place is always an great night out, the food and the staff are awesome.

Curries in the UK are incredible, though.

Last edited:
My favorite cousins are the kids of my uncle Mauricio, they are like my brothers honestly.

.....Mexican (im Mexican) and Italian.

As a non-American, I think American is kind of underrated! Chilli dogs and buffalo wings are amazing. I think overall, Italian and Spanish food would be my preference because it's more nuanced, but in terms of "my favourite dinner", it's the (frankly absurd, but very American) macaroni salad, buffalo wings and chilli dogs with bacon. Special shout out to British cuisine. Gets way too much hate for what's just proper scran.

My least favourite is Irish cuisine. Having been raised on it, it's... woeful. Like boiled bacon. Salt cured leg of bacon, boiled for 4 or so hours with a torn up head of cabbage and enough potatoes to make the "bacon water" into a thick sauce. I think the texture is quite nice and find the flavours nostalgic. But it's admittedly atrocious. Especially since it's served with mustard and ketchup (classically mushroom, more often tomato nowadays).

I really like Mexican, Mediterranean, Japanese, and Cuban. Italian is very good too, but I haven't eaten really good Italian in a very long time.

I went to Ayr on holiday once and the curry house there has stayed in my brain forever. What a meal.
Manchester has a lot of great curry houses too. Cheetham Hill. So many great places there.

kuLUaww.jpeg

I've been lucky enough to do a decent amount of travelling and living in different countries in Europe and I'm a total food wanker.
My ranking is based on the authentic food in the actual country, not the versions of it abroad that can be very different and often quite inferior.

For me, there is one cuisine that's head and shoulders above all others and that's Japanese.
The average standard of cooking in Japan is comically good.
We tend to go there once a year for 3-4 weeks and almost every day our mind is blown.

In second place comes Italy, close behind Spain, France, Vietnam and Thailand.
Other honourable mentions go to Malaysia, Singapore, Mexico and India. Korea also good.

Other countries whose food I enjoy but I haven't yet visited are Lebanon, Pakistan, Greece, Turkey, Peru, Argentina and others I can't remember right now.

Meh countries where you can enjoy some great individual dishes but are well behind the top guns include UK (where I'm from), Switzerland (where I live), Germany, Austria, the Nordic countries, Eastern Europe, the USA, the Philippines, Australia, Brazil etc.

Biggest disappointment was China, I've been plenty of times to Hong Kong and always loved Dim Sum, I really enjoy Szechuan flavours too but I spent 4 days (only 4 days in 1 city I admit) in Beijing and we had some great duck and some nice Xinjiang style lamb but everything else was really greasy, really sweet, felt artificial and very unhealthy. My expectations were much higher but I recognised it's 4 days in one part of a massive country.

oooooh German cuisine is a blind spot for me, educate plz
Schnitzel with lemon juice or Spätzle (doughy noodles boiled in water) with roast gravy is top tier in my books (or even Käsespätzle if you want mozzarella cheese baked in with the noodles haha). Rouladen is a roll of thinly sliced beef and stuffed with rice, pickles and drenched in a rich, brown gravy. There's also a stew my Oma loves to make called Eintopf (sp?) which I'm pretty sure just amounts to the kind of stew that consists of everything but the kitchen sink tossed in (lentils, carrots, corn, peas, tomatoes, beef, etc.) and really tastes amazing when you pour it over shell pasta.

And then desserts....oh man, Black Forest cake is always fantastic when made from scratch. Also these pastry puffs I'm not sure what they're called but it's a fluffy kind of pastry like croissants and filled with whipped cream.

I have no idea if it's technically German, but my Oma also knows my favourite cake she makes is this apricot cheesecake that's just 😘👌 perfection

Eintopf is German for stew in general (literally “one pot”) so I imagine your Oma makes “her” stew :)

I do enjoy Spätzle now and again, it’s been too long.

I've been lucky enough to do a decent amount of travelling and living in different countries in Europe and I'm a total food wanker.
My ranking is based on the authentic food in the actual country, not the versions of it abroad that can be very different and often quite inferior.

For me, there is one cuisine that's head and shoulders above all others and that's Japanese.
The average standard of cooking in Japan is comically good.
We tend to go there once a year for 3-4 weeks and almost every day our mind is blown.

In second place comes Italy, close behind Spain, France, Vietnam and Thailand.
Other honourable mentions go to Malaysia, Singapore, Mexico and India. Korea also good.

Other countries whose food I enjoy but I haven't yet visited are Lebanon, Pakistan, Greece, Turkey, Peru, Argentina and others I can't remember right now.

Meh countries where you can enjoy some great individual dishes but are well behind the top guns include UK (where I'm from), Switzerland (where I live), Germany, Austria, the Nordic countries, Eastern Europe, the USA, the Philippines, Australia, Brazil etc.

Biggest disappointment was China, I've been plenty of times to Hong Kong and always loved Dim Sum, I really enjoy Szechuan flavours too but I spent 4 days (only 4 days in 1 city I admit) in Beijing and we had some great duck and some nice Xinjiang style lamb but everything else was really greasy, really sweet, felt artificial and very unhealthy. My expectations were much higher but I recognised it's 4 days in one part of a massive country.
German food is actually quite underrated, stuff like Spaetzle etc... but if you're a non-meat eater then it's rough. German cuisine's bigger strength is baking - stuff like desserts and cakes imo. Kaffee und Kuchen?

Eintopf is German for stew in general (literally “one pot”) so I imagine your Oma makes “her” stew :)

I do enjoy Spätzle now and again, it’s been too long.
Then I really need to get the recipe out of her because everytime I ask her she just waves me off as a non-chalant "you don't want to make it, takes too long" but like...I want to learn! From you! Let me! Please!

But yeah for as simple as Spätzle to make it is surprisingly difficult to find restaurants that do it well

Schnitzel with lemon juice or Spätzle (doughy noodles boiled in water) with roast gravy is top tier in my books (or even Käsespätzle if you want mozzarella cheese baked in with the noodles haha). Rouladen is a roll of thinly sliced beef and stuffed with rice, pickles and drenched in a rich, brown gravy. There's also a stew my Oma loves to make called Eintopf (sp?) which I'm pretty sure just amounts to the kind of stew that consists of everything but the kitchen sink tossed in (lentils, carrots, corn, peas, tomatoes, beef, etc.) and really tastes amazing when you pour it over shell pasta.

And then desserts....oh man, Black Forest cake is always fantastic when made from scratch. Also these pastry puffs I'm not sure what they're called but it's a fluffy kind of pastry like croissants and filled with whipped cream.

I have no idea if it's technically German, but my Oma also knows my favourite cake she makes is this apricot cheesecake that's just 😘👌 perfection
German food is very underrated, unless you're a non meat eater then you're kinda f****d lol. Something about Spaetzle is just so special, I can't put it into words. It's just so comforting.

German food is actually quite underrated, stuff like Spaetzle etc... but if you're a non-meat eater then it's rough. German cuisine's bigger strength is baking - stuff like desserts and cakes imo. Kaffee und Kuchen?

Also real. I have fond memories growing up in my childhood where my Oma would bake lemon cake, and I'd have a slice while she had hers and a cup of coffee while we watched Jerry Springer together on her tiny kitchen counter TV.

Lowkey I think German baked goods are better than Italian, but I feel like the world isn't ready for that discussion yet and I don't wanna get crucified for saying that out loud lol

German food is very underrated, unless you're a non meat eater then you're kinda f****d lol. Something about Spaetzle is just so special, I can't put it into words. It's just so comforting.
Ahaha, yeah, you're not wrong if you won't eat chicken, beef or pork. Spatzle is just so good, once I asked for a birthday dinner my Oma just make a big ass bowl of it for me with gravy and I must have eaten my 12 year old body weight in carbs that day ahaha

I guess Mexican because most of chilaquiles, but it has to be my mother's chilaquiles, please. Otherwise, American junk food is my friend.

Hey there, fellow foodies! Talking about favorite cuisines always gets my taste buds tingling. Personally, I'm a huge fan of diverse flavors, and my go-to cuisines are Mexican, Thai, and Italian. The combination of spices, herbs, and unique ingredients in these cuisines never fails to excite my palate. By the way, have any of you ever tried incorporating bone broth into your recipes?

I like lots of food but I find it’s particularly hard to argue against Italian. Meat, cheese, sauce, starch. Chicken Parmesan. Cacio e Pepe. PIZZA (yes Italian style is different than takeout but still extremely good).

Italian food takes the cake for me, followed by German/Austrian, Vietnamese and Thai food - which all covers most of my everyday cuisine choices.

American classics, Korean cooking in general...Italian American cuisine! There's so many options.
For now tho...
Nacho Fries my beloved.

Back
Top Bottom