• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Hardware We need a Switch successor pronto

Game Drake

NnL5ZVc.png

With the chip shortage and cross multiplaform support for last gen lasting way longer than expected, it could take a while before we get a pro console for Sony and MS. Maybe not at all. Not to mention inflation and Sony increasing PS5 price.

Also, the pro consoles will likely just focus on 4k resolution while games will still be focused the base ones. Would be pretty expensive too with the chip shortage.
I doubt that will stop people, they'll just lament that it's weaker than consoles from 2020, that the latest Xenoblade doesn't look as good than the latest first party PS5 blockbuster, and that the specs are holding back whatever the next big EAD game is, and we'll be back where we started.

I doubt that will stop people, they'll just lament that it's weaker than consoles from 2020, that the latest Xenoblade doesn't look as good than the latest first party PS5 blockbuster, and that the specs are holding back whatever the next big EAD game is, and we'll be back where we started.
Sure, devs will keep pushing consoles to limit, but Its going to be different this time for 1st party games at least. The PS4 is and always has been a 1080p machine, and Drake will likely follow in a similar fashion. We also have DLSS as well.

And Nintendo consoles will always be weaker. There isn't much changing that.

Sure, devs will keep pushing consoles to limit, but Its going to be different this time for 1st party games at least. The PS4 is and always has been a 1080p machine, and Drake will likely follow in a similar fashion. We also have DLSS as well.

And Nintendo consoles will always be weaker. There isn't much changing that.
Logically yes, the reality of hardware means its silly to hold a hybrid device to the standard of dedicated home consoles, but that never stopped people before.
I dunno, I just feel like the whole discourse has been toxic for years now, and sadly I can't see Drake changing that, within a year the cycle will repeat and all we'll hear about it's not good enough and we need new hardware ASAP.

We do need a new Switch, but people really forget what the Switch is capable of and the gorgeous smooth games it has because of Pokemon being such a mess always.

Well i doubt they'll announce anything this year, but i wonder if GameFreak had released it on the rumoured Switch Pro things would be any different. Still, the game is an embarassment i thought i would never see from Nintendo. It looks like a crash between Cyberpunk and the Fallout 76.

how will we be back where we started when nintendo will have more horsepower to play with

I'll repeat what I said in the "Is the Switch Showing Its Age?" thread, I feel a large percentage of the performance problems people see in Nintendo/3rd party games is more an issue of the Switch's marketing and developer expectations rather than hardware. Since they almost definitely won't stop the "console first/ handheld second" marketing for Drake, I imagine it'll be a big bump at first before we're back to this same exact situation like 4 years after release

how will we be back where we started when nintendo will have more horsepower to play with
Especially now that we are reaching diminishing returns. I've yet to see a PS5 game that would be fully impossible to make run in a PS4 pro. The jump is not that obvious for now and PS4 level games are good enough. Nintendo's knowledge of their own tech and good artistic direction has given us some amazing looking games in the Switch (BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3).

I fully believe first party games on the next Switch 4K will be comparable to current gen games in terms of "does this look modern and beautiful enough?". If Xenoblade 4 doesn't look as amazing as a Final Fantasy game it will be because of the budget and development time, not because of the hardware. Final Fantasy VII Remake doesn't look bad next to Final Fantasy XVI, and one is a PS4 game and the other is a PS5 game.

Especially now that we are reaching diminishing returns. I've yet to see a PS5 game that would be fully impossible to make run in a PS4 pro. The jump is not that obvious for now and PS4 level games are good enough. Nintendo's knowledge of their own tech and good artistic direction has given us some amazing looking games in the Switch (BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3).
exactly, nintendo is already getting a ton of bang for their buck, as it were, and the rumored boost could have huge impact to "ooooh pretty" even if it's still miles behind

for example if they can up shadow resolution in splatoon 3, whether conventionally or via ray tracing, the game will feel noticeably prettier

Yeah, I don't really buy the argument that people will ask for even better hardware once the Pro/2/Drake is out. I take more umbrage with the way new hardware is treated as a silver bullet that will suddenly solve all performance issues when it's much more nuanced than that. It's definitely going to be interesting to see when the new system is out and what devs do with it.

Yeah, I don't really buy the argument that people will ask for even better hardware once the Pro/2/Drake is out. I take more umbrage with the way new hardware is treated as a silver bullet that will suddenly solve all performance issues when it's much more nuanced than that. It's definitely going to be interesting to see when the new system is out and what devs do with it.
yeah, there will be a lot of cases where people are disappointed by what's done with the hardware, but very few hardware enthusiasts will demand better, because better pretty much won't exist for a while.

unless, of course, it's somehow clocked way below what even the most pessimistic are expecting

I was listening yesterday Nate's podcast on the Switch 4K (the one from october 2021) and he says that according to the people he's talked to, devs were very excited about the new tech.

Honestly, I have no idea how to feel about a new switch. It’s been years of rumor and speculation. I hope whatever they do isn’t underwhelming. Making the decision to work with Nvidia was the best move they have made in decades. The true test of their next system will be what software from third parties release with it.

I guarantee that within 12 months of Drake releasing, many will already be saying it's falling too far behind the PS5 Pro and Xbox Series Z and that Nintendo needs to make stronger hardware, and that it's specs are holding back whatever the next big first party games will be.
We aren’t getting Pro consoles this time around. Sony and MS are losing a decent chunk of change on the current boxes as it is. Hell Sony rose the price cause of costs. Phil was basically yeah we we losing like a hundo on each box sold (I still maintain the Series S is a steal for only $300 in the current price climate).

At this point both Sony and MS are just hoping pricing stabilize to the point where maybe they can break even or build a smaller box to save some cash vs hemorrhaging cash on hardware like they are now.

I'm not gonna blame the Switch for how these Pokemon games look. I'm pretty sure they're just like that

Graphics aren't a big deal to me, but I really do want a new Switch to be announced because it puts us one step closer to new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash
The pokemon issue is a dev issue due to memory leaks and rendering the whole world at once with no culling

Don't get me wrong, it'll be super cool to see what Nintendo and friends can do with more powerful hardware.

I meant more that the internet discourse on the subject will probably still be unrelentingly, exhaustingly negative, as it has been for ages now. Last time, people didn't even wait until 2017 was over before proclaiming that Xenoblade 2 and the Doom 2016 port proved Switch was trash and needed a Pro ASAP.

I guess it's just been wearing on me recently, the constant negativity.

There will always be people who want better hardware. That is not the measure imho. It's the broader market and how the current hardware is affecting games released on it. It's undeniable the Switch is showing its age.

In 2017 Doom was a minor miracle and was exciting and proved the Switch won't be a portable 360. This was followed up with a lot of 3rd party content that was thought impossible.

Don't get me wrong, it'll be super cool to see what Nintendo and friends can do with more powerful hardware.

I meant more that the internet discourse on the subject will probably still be unrelentingly, exhaustingly negative, as it has been for ages now. Last time, people didn't even wait until 2017 was over before proclaiming that Xenoblade 2 and the Doom 2016 port proved Switch was trash and needed a Pro ASAP.

I guess it's just been wearing on me recently, the constant negativity.
You are correct that people complained about Switch power not long after launch. But you have to understand that as a home console, Switch wasn't much of a leap beyond Wii U.

So for me and others, it WAS disappointing to see XC2 running the way it did in 2017. As a handheld? Amazing. But I and others use it as a home console exclusively. And from that perspective - as the Wii U successor only - it was a let down.

But with the Drake, this will be apparently a 4 to 6x increase in power. A huge, huge leap. Capable of 4k gaming. So the circumstances that led to the very quick criticism of the Switch's power just won't be there.

It's the same as when the Gamecube transitioned to the Wii. The power leap wasn't very big, so complaints about Wii visuals came quickly, and by the end people were desperate for something with more horsepower. Same here.

I think you'll see a far different reaction to what you expect.

I doubt that. as soon as someone ports a current gen only game to Drake, it's gonna start up all over again
It doesn't really matter anyways, I don't want a Switch successor to make console warriors on twitter or wherever happy, they'll obviously complain when it's out and I'll continue to just not read that discourse. I want a Switch successor because (by my standards) a lot of the Switch games for a while now have either ran like shit or looked ugly and compromised, and judging from the rough specs we know the succ will have it'll improve on that in a huge way and I'll be content.

I don't care that the PS5 is still stronger and that people will point that out, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't really matter anyways, I don't want a Switch successor to make console warriors on twitter or wherever happy, they'll obviously complain when it's out and I'll continue to just not read that discourse. I want a Switch successor because (by my standards) a lot of the Switch games for a while now have either ran like shit or looked ugly and compromised, and judging from the rough specs we know the succ will have it'll improve on that in a huge way and I'll be content.

I don't care that the PS5 is still stronger and that people will point that out, it doesn't matter.
Well said. I dont want a better switch because thats where ill play all my multiplats, i want one because i want to see nintendo games not being held back by very old hardware :D

I think nintendo can make a very competent 1080p -1440p machine, just as Microsoft did with the series s

To be honest, i want a Switch successor but not because i feel that the current one isn't powerful enough (I'm still playing Game Boy games ffs) but because i want to see what Nintendo does with a great leap in horsepower.

Because let's be honest, they did amazing things with Wii U, even with the limitations that console has we got

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Captain Toad
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Pikmin 3
  • Xenoblade X
  • Freaking Breath of the Wild
  • DKC Tropical Freeze
  • etc...
Then with Switch we have gotten things like, on top of my head
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Super Mario Oddisey
  • Smash Ultimate
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Splatoon 3
  • Mario Strikers (Yes, very poor content, but technically very sound)
  • Metroid Dread
And have the following coming
  • Tears of the Kingdom
  • Pikmin 4
  • Fire Emblem: Engage
If a discrete leap in power has given us so many impressive games, i really want to see what they can do with Xbox One tier hardware.

The haters? Fuck them, not understanding basic hardware concepts is their fault.

do we know this or are people assuming?
Someone had done tests that to the best of their knowledge those things are occurring and would explain the dismal performance. And why the bugs get worse in multiplayer

Back
Top Bottom