• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Hardware We need a Switch successor pronto

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
nintendo-switch-2.jpg

it's been six years. The Switch is officially old hardware, and that is increasingly begin to show its age

While the Switch is a more modern chipset than most consoles on the market, functionally, its hardware spec is equivalent to the PS3 and Xbox 360 - 2005 era hardware, and the last generation where games felt constrained by their hardware. The Switch managed to extend the life of that spec level by a few years, but as of right now, games are increasingly running into the limits the hardware imposes on them, and I think it is time we get something better. Soon.

Within the last year, Shin Megami Tensei V, Pokemon Legends, and then Xenoblade 3 all increasingly showed us the Switch hardware was no longer able to keep up with the ambitions of the developers working on it. Even before then, we had started to see the Switch hardware start to falter, in games such as Age of Calamity. Then Bayonetta 3 was probably the straw that broke the camel's back, a game that is so utterly beyond the hardware it is running on it would be hilarious if it wasn't constantly and pervasively noticeable how much the game's ambition is being curtailed as a result.

Look, the Switch is almost 6 years old. For every system ever, at this point, we start either hearing about the successor, or we get the successor outright. This is no longer a controversial point, even if you yourself are absolutely fine with the Switch hardware, we are objectively at a point where it needs a successor, where the games running on it are making that clear, and where it is increasingly clear that third parties, who have found so much success on the system, are not going to be willing to lower their base spec to what is now two generations and 20 year old levels to keep things going. 50% of all software sales on the Switch were third party, which means that what those third parties want is something Nintendo will absolutely consider too – before someone tries to tell me they won't.

I don't know how many of you, like me, are finally feeling the Switch hardware is long in the tooth now. Perhaps you've felt this way for a long time. Perhaps you never notice any of these technical deficiencies in any of these games, and having played Hyrule Warriors, SMTV, Pokemon Legends, Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3, and Sonic Frontiers, you are wondering what the hell I am talking about.

That's totally fine! But like I said, this is now beyond opinion. We are objectively entering this system's seventh year on the market in a few weeks. Nintendo needs to have a successor ready to go, and soon. Or a lot of what they achieved with the Switch will be in needless jeopardy.

I'm not gonna blame the Switch for how these Pokemon games look. I'm pretty sure they're just like that

Graphics aren't a big deal to me, but I really do want a new Switch to be announced because it puts us one step closer to new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash

Console generations are getting longer. Ps4 and xbone got seven years before a successor, and continued support to this day, and the switch is a bigger success than either of them. It having a shorter lifespan would be weird, and even if the switch got a replacement right now, it is guaranteed software support for at least another full year, as we've already seen with Nintendo's plans ala splatoon and mario kart.

But it's utterly absurd to say that the switch is ps3 tier hardware. That was a machine that had 256mb of ram. It could only dream of getting games that looked like mario kart 8, and that was already just a Wii U port.

Last edited:
Switch was the one system that desperately needed a mid gen refresh that didn't get one (wii was fucked from the start by being developed around standard def)

Agree with everything you've said. SMT V was a good example where I said "I can't deal with this, technically" and left the game. When you're at that point, it's bad. Playing through XC3 I wished I had left it until Switch 2 (but didn't due to spoilers).

And having just played through Pokemon Scarlet, let me tell you this thread might get busy in the next week.

It's time. Hell, it's past time.

The switch 2 could be as powerful as a series x and the pokemon games still wouldnt be up to standard, dont blame the hardware for gf's shortcomings.

Nintendo could literally do nothing whatsoever to improve the hardware, and they'd still make bank. On their end, there isn't really a ton of urgency.

With that being said, the current hardware internals stink, considering that Nintendo can't even run some of its own output smoothly anymore. It's time for an upgrade.

We will get lucky if Nintendo announced the next state at the end of next year. They are milking the Oled for all it’s worth

stop blaming hardware for Game Freak's deficiencies.
You're missing the point. This is not about the developers' technical capability, nor is it about the hardware's true capability if people spent the time to really get the most out of it, the point is most developers are not in a position any more where the Switch can put out games on an acceptable level technically speaking. This might be because their technical capability is poor and the hardware is unable to afford them the buffer they need to make the games they want to make, or it might be because they simply will not slow down for the Switch long enough to do that, but the end result is, functionally, it is past time for new hardware to be out.

So when do we think it's coming? I'm saying late 2024 since that's when the switch first party line up will have dried out. 2023 will have ToTK, FE, Pikmin, maybe DK while early 2024 will have Prime 4. They'll probably launch it with new 3d Mario and MK9/10.

I will never not laugh at people suggesting Switch hardware is holding Game Freak back

As for the other games you mentioned, they are perfectly acceptable in my opinion

the point is most developers are not in a position any more where the Switch can put out games on an acceptable level technically speaking.
But I mean, in the case of Pokémon, Game Freak is still the one that holds more responsibility in this situation. It's patently obvious given how much better other games on the system with similar scopes look than Arceus.

Hard agree. SMT V was the game that really hammered it home for me. The game was totally playable. Enjoyable, even! I loved it a lot!

But oh my GOD did that game struggle…

So when do we think it's coming? I'm saying late 2024 since that's when the switch first party line up will have dried out. 2023 will have ToTK, FE, Pikmin, maybe DK while early 2024 will have Prime 4. They'll probably launch it with new 3d Mario and MK9/10.
2024 for sure, unless they're feeling hungry for some new hardware sales next year. I do think we'll see it fully announced in 2023 though.

Do we need a new Switch? Of course. Gotta remain patient though or get into emulation for dem performance gains until then I guess.

doesn’t that prove his point?
...no, because then the point would have been proven before we got the switch lite. they did get more, but "switch is getting to weak" is a thing since the beginning. (I still think last year was the point for a revision...instead of the oled)
how come every switch 2 concept looks like shit
Because its made by people that tolerate the switch hardware, not love it. They would want either a standalone powerhouse or a bulky beefy handheld console like the steamdeck. (bigger, double the weight)

I've mentioned it before a few times, but the thought of Metroid Prime 4 running on the current, dated hardware fills me with more dread than the Metroid game by that name. I mean, I know Retro Studios has the talent to pull off something magical, even despite imposed constraints, but after all these years of waiting, it's unfortunate to consider the possibility of the game being held back by a console on its way out.

Agree OP and I understand why you made the thread, even if the topic might be covered elsewhere

You’re 100% right

I don't think Xenoblade 3 is a good example of "showing the hardware's age." Game looks and runs great.

SMT V was announced as a console exclusive all the way back in 2017. The devs were well aware of the console's limitations and they launched it a whopping 4 years later. I think that's more on the devs rather than the console

Hard agree. SMT V was the game that really hammered it home for me. The game was totally playable. Enjoyable, even! I loved it a lot!

But oh my GOD did that game struggle…
I played V for over 180 hours and while it is true its performance is rough in many areas, I'm not sure if I can't relate to the sentiment that it struggles that much. Xenoblade 3 is actually worse, I feel. Cadensia is choppy all around and Kilocorn Grandeps is the worst superboss in the entire series because the game severely tanks during the fight, to the point that button prompts delays start appearing.

SMT V was announced as a console exclusive all the way back in 2017. The devs were well aware of the console's limitations and they launched it a whopping 4 years later. I think that's more on the devs rather than the console

Atlus also then proceeded to release a game that looks worse and still doesn't run great on all the other consoles...

Hardware refresh is a must but for a new console, Nintendo needs a little more time. If it's not another revolutionary piece Nintendo needs to work on it until it is.

A beefed up Switch next year while a brand new Nintendo system for 2025 makes the most sense.

They got quite a bit of software coming up, so I think 2024 is their upper limit. 2023 should be the last real push for Switch only software imo.

So brave.

But also yes.

But also also Pokémon isn’t the game I’d use to make this point. The rest? Fair.

It really sounds like Nintendo is simply not interested in doing a cross-gen phase like PlayStation and Xbox are doing right now. I think that gives them more time to prepare.

Will the more powerful Switch that's been rumored/partially leaked solve the issue, though, or just alleviate it?

Going by recent conversations about the Series S holding back next gen, how long will it take before devs like, say, Atlus or Bamco move to UE5 and we're doing this song and dance again?

If anything I want it asap so the games that come out for the Switch get day 1 patches for the Switch 2. As it is, the older a game is, the less likely it is to get a patch, and we might be stuck with things like P5 at sub native res forever.

What's more annoying, posts that are calling for a new switch successor after six full years, or people pretending Switch entering its seventh year is fine and we don't need a successor?

You're missing the point. This is not about the developers' technical capability, nor is it about the hardware's true capability if people spent the time to really get the most out of it, the point is most developers are not in a position any more where the Switch can put out games on an acceptable level technically speaking. This might be because their technical capability is poor and the hardware is unable to afford them the buffer they need to make the games they want to make, or it might be because they simply will not slow down for the Switch long enough to do that, but the end result is, functionally, it is past time for new hardware to be out.
Game Freak is at that position. because of their cadence they can't pull as much out of the switch as other devs. this bolsters bad practices and leaving it accrues technical debt that will have to be paid eventually. new hardware isn't the solution, it just makes bad situations worse underneath the surface

Will the more powerful Switch that's been rumored/partially leaked solve the issue, though, or just alleviate it?

Going by recent conversations about the Series S holding back next gen, how long will it take before devs like, say, Atlus or Bamco move to UE5 and we're doing this song and dance again?
IDK, but I'd definitely like Xenoblade 3 and Bayo 3 locked at 1080p/60 if possible. I'm fine with the visuals these two games have, I just would like the resolution to not be soupy at times and/or the performance be stuttery.

I hope it doesn’t happen for another year or so because I know some of you have a few more of these threads in you. And it’d be a shame if you couldn’t get them out in time and had to port them to Switch 3 discussion.

Boy do I wish we'd all stop using hardware to hand-wave devs' incompetence. Like it's so obvious that a lot use uber hardware to hide their poor optimization skills (see Compile Heart as one prime example). Meaning the second they have to TRY to optimize for a system like Switch, they quiver.

If Game Freak were making a Pokemon game specifically for PS5-grade hardware, they'd STILL be horrifically under par. Other devs would still try to overachieve and get poor performance. It's never going to end. As I always say; it's not the hardware, it's the devs. It's not the tools, it's how you use them.

I’ll say again that Bayo 3 didn’t deserve to release on the current switch with how shitty its performance is. I’m hoping that by the time Prime 4 comes out that the next system has already been out for a good while.

What's more annoying, posts that are calling for a new switch successor after six full years, or people pretending Switch entering its seventh year is fine and we don't need a successor?

FWIW it's not actually that old yet. If Switch gets the same lifespan as PS3/360 and PS4/XBO then its successor would be coming in March 2024(seven years).

Yeah if there was going to launch next year, they would have told us by now.
It's obviously 2024 and hopefully a more than worthy jump to stand out from the first Switch.

I don't think this will be as relevant, because development costs are plateauing for a number of studios. Most of the developers that have the funds to keep pushing the graphical capabilities of their games don't really have a particularly large presence on Nintendo consoles in the first place.

Once Nintendo can run PS4ish level AA games at a consistent rate, then they'll have open access to most of what their consumer base will want. They don't really need to worry about consistently pushing hardware capabilities like PlayStation or Xbox, because that's not what their consumer base is looking for.

At this point we have some idea of what the next hardware is capable of, based on leaks. I'm done dreaming since Nintendo and Nvidia seem to be making the device I want, just waiting at this point.

Back
Top Bottom