• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Wave Race 64 coming to NSO August 19 (out now!)

Never played this much back in the day but definitely interested to give it a whirl!

I've never actually played this game before. I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

I know some folks were hoping for a roadmap, but it's kind of exciting to be in the unknown.

Haven't played this in probably 20 years at least, definitely looking forward to diving back in, no pun intended.

Main thing I remember killing time in is that dolphin minigame.

Who’s ready to play some wave race 64 online?

Also I wonder if 1080 or Excitebike next?
We got what, 1080, Excitebike, DK64, Diddy Kong racing, Mario Party 2,3, and Smash for first party with no caveats. CRUIS’N trilogy isn’t an impossibility but not super likely. If they got Konami and Capcom on board for genesis I’d be surprised if they didn’t get them here, even if there was some limitations(wouldn’t rule out Megaman 64 after Wily wars happened. Konami has a sick lineup thanks to Hudson). Oh and sega with snowboard kids 1/2 and the 2 Pyro puyo games

We got what, 1080, Excitebike, DK64, Diddy Kong racing, Mario Party 2,3, and Smash for first party with no caveats. CRUIS’N trilogy isn’t an impossibility but not super likely. If they got Konami and Capcom on board for genesis I’d be surprised if they didn’t get them here, even if there was some limitations(wouldn’t rule out Megaman 64 after Wily wars happened. Konami has a sick lineup thanks to Hudson). Oh and sega with snowboard kids 1/2 and the 2 Pyro puyo games
What about Pilotwings 64

Anything left from their original tease not yet released?
No. The original roadmap's been finished since last month(technically June for the US/Europe since I'm counting Custom Robo V and Custom Robo V2 that was Japanese Exclusives that was released last month.).

Last edited:
This is what the first N64 game I saw in person at a demo unit and it blew me away when I saw the water effects.

No. The original roadmap's been finished since last month(technically June for the US/Europe since I'm counting Custom Robo V and Custom Robo V2 that was Japanese Exclusives that was released last month.).
that's a surprise, i woulda thought Wave Race 64 would have been in wave 1. rewatched the direct and it wasn't listed.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if DKR is a safe bet. DK64 was re-released on Wii U but no sign of DKR. On the bright side Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship seems only better and stronger year by year.

The game that will probably get me to bite on NSO expansion.

I've got such great memories playing this ultra-pure video game back when it's fluid graphics could wow people and rumble was a revelation.

I don't know why I never got into Blue Storm despite holding this game up as perhaps my favorite N64 game 🤔

Anyways, I've missed Waverace 64, I miss those times crushing new bests to those timeless tunes, and I miss when Nintendo would create awesome "racers" practically every year like clockwork (why'd they stop?!).

normally wouldn't phase me since this is a game i haven't really checked out much and I'm bummed goldeneye didn't show up this month like rumors indicated (though maybe that was the remake), but the rumble version being made available in Japan (with ghost support!) makes it the version I'm gonna play for the first type. Pretty hype!

Unfortunately I'm not sure if DKR is a safe bet. DK64 was re-released on Wii U but no sign of DKR. On the bright side Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship seems only better and stronger year by year.
I want to say it was datamined for wiiu with quite a number of other titles but they cut wiiu VC hard and fast, remember it didn’t even get smash bros.

I wonder if we’ll get Ridge Racer 64. It’s a similar situation to tennis on Snes

I want to say it was datamined for wiiu with quite a number of other titles but they cut wiiu VC hard and fast, remember it didn’t even get smash bros.

I wonder if we’ll get Ridge Racer 64. It’s a similar situation to tennis on Snes
That's reassuring! I don't think I knew that. That's for sharing. Hoping to see lots of these under-appreciated and rarely re-released gems on N64 NSO.

It’s complicated. It has the twin towers, and a magazine character. Former is the bigger issue
Oh fuck I forgot about this lol

With Banjo on NSO I think DKR is reasonably likely, even if it's not 100% confirmed. It would be nice to have another roadmap like before though.

DKR and Smash 64 are probably the first party titles I want to see the most. Well, those and DK64... not because it's good, but because I also haven't played it in nearly 20 years, I need to see if I still have the stomach for it.

Definitely will try this one out. I don't recall playing much of Wave Race but I did play a ton of Hydro Thunder and Jet Motto with my friends. Water racing games were the jam back in the day.

What was the deal with the ads, they were edited out in the Wii U release? So they haven’t been in since the original N64 version?
Only the Wii VC release. Both Wii U and Switch retain the Kawasaki ads.

In fact if you watch through the end of the video. They even put out a copyright notice for Kawasaki.

Screenshot_20220816-081634_YouTube.jpg

Oh fuck I forgot about this lol

With Banjo on NSO I think DKR is reasonably likely, even if it's not 100% confirmed. It would be nice to have another roadmap like before though.

DKR and Smash 64 are probably the first party titles I want to see the most. Well, those and DK64... not because it's good, but because I also haven't played it in nearly 20 years, I need to see if I still have the stomach for it.
Good point about Banjo! I keep forgetting it's on there. I suppose we'll see B-T eventually then too. The N64 Rareware games were a huge part of my childhood. As to DK64...I played it so much and mostly enjoyed it but when I tried it on Wii U VC I was surprised how quickly I bounced off of it. It (and probably B-T) feels like the ultimate excess expression of collectathon overload of that era. Still love the OSTs though!

Good point about Banjo! I keep forgetting it's on there. I suppose we'll see B-T eventually then too. The N64 Rareware games were a huge part of my childhood. As to DK64...I played it so much and mostly enjoyed it but when I tried it on Wii U VC I was surprised how quickly I bounced off of it. It (and probably B-T) feels like the ultimate excess expression of collectathon overload of that era. Still love the OSTs though!
Yeah, Rare games were a huge pillar of my gaming childhood... I mean half an hour ago I was playing as K. Rool in Smash, 4 years after his reveal lol.

I'm not itching to replay Tooie anytime soon with that god awful N64 framerate (and I'm not a framerate snob at all, but even as a kid I could tell it was choking on itself), but I do hope it makes its way over to NSO as well. I'm the same with DK64; I wanna say maybe 10 years ago I tried to replay it? I got bored by the second world, but I'm hoping with Switch portability and save states I have more patience for it. Banjo-Kazooie is a contender for my favorite game of all time, and I enjoy Tooie warts and all, but DK64 might just test my limits.

I loved having that road map, but I think it is going to be surprises from here on out.

It did, alongside every other Rare game minus Conker and Mickey's Speedway.

N64.png

Yeah, Rare games were a huge pillar of my gaming childhood... I mean half an hour ago I was playing as K. Rool in Smash, 4 years after his reveal lol.

I'm not itching to replay Tooie anytime soon with that god awful N64 framerate (and I'm not a framerate snob at all, but even as a kid I could tell it was choking on itself), but I do hope it makes its way over to NSO as well. I'm the same with DK64; I wanna say maybe 10 years ago I tried to replay it? I got bored by the second world, but I'm hoping with Switch portability and save states I have more patience for it. Banjo-Kazooie is a contender for my favorite game of all time, and I enjoy Tooie warts and all, but DK64 might just test my limits.
Same, I never really recognized FPS as a kid but certain games felt sluggish and looking back I'm sure that's what conveyed that feeling. For me it's the character switching and absurd number of collectibles in DK64. I think I made it further in the game than I did in B-T as a kid but the latter feels like a more cohesive experience looking back (though its levels are way too big for my tastes). The final DK64 level being timed to fifty minutes or so was a huge barrier for me. I couldn't beat it in a couple tries and that was such a time suck. I remember it being pretty deflating. The arcade games being mandatory was kind of a stifling barrier for me too.

Both are super atmospheric though. One thing Rare has in spades. Part of why I like going back to the DKC trilogy best out of the older Rare games is that the gameplay holds up so dang well to me. Those have atmosphere in spades so they feel like the full package. DKR is in the same boat (hovercraft?) for sure. And another incredible OST there.

It’s complicated. It has the twin towers, and a magazine character. Former is the bigger issue
Do you mean the Nester lookalike? It's hardly an issue since Nintendo owns Nester.

The game might be in license hell, though. Paradigm Simulation co-owned the game. Shortly after the game's launch, they were split into Paradigm Entertainment (focused on videogames), and Paradigm Simulation (focused on SGI works). Assuming the Entertainment branch kept the game rights, it was since acquired by Infogrames and then THQ. After THQ failed, who knows where those rights went.

The best.

To this day the best arcade racer, I have ever played. One of the best N64 games I have ever played und maybe the only N64 game, I still keep coming back to. And I am talking PAL-version here... Excited to play this game in 60hz for first time.

Good stuff. Won't be able to use my N64 controller with it till I'm back at my own place at the end of the month, but it's good to have it.

Hoping that Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja 64 come along at some point.

Back
Top Bottom