• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Visual Novels |ST| Let’s-a-read!

Language like this is overly harsh and unwarranted. - blondkayvon, hologram, paranoodle
Thanks, good to know!

Yes, why? Was it not clear?
You don't think that switch can run a video?
Thanks, good to know!

Yes, why? Was it not clear?
I suppose that you could say that there are many people with stupid opinions, like doubting the Switch can run a video.
Thanks for clarifying which ones you have.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have heard the Switch version of Centennial Case is blurrier than it is on other platforms. My guess is the videos are more compressed or at a lower resolution to make the filesize more acceptable for the Switch. It's about 15GB on PS4/PC and they have the videos at 1080p, while PS5 is like 60GB(!) or something for 4K videos. What's the size on Switch?

For what it's worth, I have heard the Switch version of Centennial Case is blurrier than it is on other platforms. My guess is the videos are more compressed or at a lower resolution to make the filesize more acceptable for the Switch. It's about 15GB on PS4/PC and they have the videos at 1080p, while PS5 is like 60GB(!) or something for 4K videos. What's the size on Switch?
the videos are running at 720p on Switch and the game is about 15GB too

As I'm playing through 13 Sentinels last night, I was thinking to myself, after this, I only have AI Nirvana and Project Rain Code (new game from team Danganronpa) and potentially AA7 left when it comes to quality and unique VNs. And then boom, a brand new detective murder VN by the author of Fata Morgana. Keep them coming!

Although I must admit, I haven't bought Fata Morgana and I hear so much praise for it.

The premise of "M" looks so neat!!!

Like wow you're basically playing tag with yourself since you'll play through the pov of the detective AND killer!
Very interested in Novectacle's new work!

Is it bad i've made the last three posts back to back?

There is a demo out now for YuruKill
just wanted to drop it here, I gotta remind myself to try the demo out some time!

Some impressions from the demo of Yurukill:

• The art is fantastic. Character portraits are colorful and show some expressions in a given situation
  • The voice acting is only in japanese, I dont think a dub was ever confirmed. Nonetheless is great, the host of the game takes a while to get use to because she has this childish personality where her voice changes for dramatic effect.
  • The premise is interesting not because of the death game but its team arrangement. And the writing, so far, sets it up nicely. No spoilers for that.
  • The structure of the game, so far, consists of puzzles, shmup sections, interrogations and quizzes.
  • Like any vn you have dialogue history, but beware, at least in the switch version, if you click to see it while someone is talking it takes like a good 3 seconds to load. It very weird, hopefully they optimize it for launch.
  • Shmup sections run nicely, but it feels rather simple. You wont get crazy upgrades or weapons, at least in the demo. But they dont overstay their welcome and its a nice change of pace, a la 13 sentinels.

Overall the game was on my radar and I got to say I really enjoyed the demo.

AI: the Somnium Files is on sale for many European eShop sites. Gonna grab the game and update this post with my impression later.

I've already put more than 9 hours into nirvanA Initiative and I'm loving it. I'm liking it more than the first one atm (I loved the first one but the beginning kinda "bored" me, I started loving it after I had been playing for a while)

I am like an hour in, mostly handheld mode, and it looks better than the first one. Character models look sharper, better IQ. Cursor is kind sensitive so I got to change that. But overall very excited to continue this weekend.

Aksys had a show at Anime Expo, but was not lives streamed. 3 Otome games and Inescapable is described as a Social Thriller and a sequel to Spirit Hunter

Last edited:
Between Chaos;Head finally coming over and now Anonymous;Code, it’s wild that we’ll finally be able to officially experience the full SciAdv series.

Anonymous looks great. Since the year is pack, Ill probably play them next year. I am not sure if there is an order to play them.

Witch on the Holy Night will be localized by Aniplex of America, making it the first TYPE-MOON VN with an official Western release.

No press materials yet, but I suspect it'll come out after the AX 2022 Aniplex of America panel.

EDIT:
Announcement tweet has a typo lol

I wanted to write up a big post for Ai NirvanA Initiative and this feels like the best thread for it! In general I liked it more than the first one. The moment to moment flow is much better and the investigation / Somnium gameplay is a massive improvement over the first game (the logic here is so much clearer). I think it is my second favorite game of the year so far behind Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Since it's pretty hard to talk about otherwise, I'm just going to throw the rest of this behind a spoiler tag, but yeah I highly recommend it whether you've played the first game or not. I will discuss other recent Uchikoshi games in this post to be clear btw.

Ok obviously the coolest thing about NirvanA Initiative is the true timeline twist and the details that make it work. I was suspecting something was up in Mizuki's route when you find the other half of Andes Komeji's body on the rooftop. The thing with the suitcase was the big tip off, but I was also considering Ryuki was the drunk person since he starts the game drunk and could have been an unreliable narrator for a variety of reasons. I also was toying with Ryuki was shifting between timelines/worlds when he saw the ViewQube videos or as a reaction to them and separately that actions in Somnia were somehow affecting the past to the point I was occasionally rewriting it. I especially felt this where the big split in Mizuki's route is when you stop the drill as Aiba and shift to Bibi and I guess you can't say it isn't happening either with the Frayer / Simulation Theory stuff not to mention Dahlia Boat which Mama conveniently did not address! I definitely realized who Bibi was when you visit Shoma at this point in the hospital and that the timeline was messed up for that last Mizuki section before it's fully spelled out how extensive it was.

Anyway I really love how the twist works here because it makes the final meta ending really work for me. That there's three protagonists and Jin essentially had three body halves in play due to the organ transfer was super clever to keep you guessing. The rest you kind of fill in yourself at that point (ie incorrectly assuming the bodies halves were six years apart) and the twist clears up why Boss got so mad at Ryuki when he let the culprit escape in the cathedral when I believe if I have my timeline straight was actually when he shot the person setting up balloons. So yeah all of that is cool and then it leads into the final ending where you give Tokiko the Nil Number and share the future with Ryuki to get the golden ending. I have to say I definitely sympathize with Mame here in that she murdered a psychopath who butchered her father without remorse and she helped save humanity (not to say she didn't make other bad choices at points, but y'know!). The final dance had felt incomplete without Mame there so to see her get a good ending in the golden one felt right for me. Then you get that final scene though of Ryuki, Mizuki, and Bibi at the empty stadium and you kind of begin to wonder what people lost still not going on the adventures both we and they experienced. It made me think about the final ending of Zero Time Dilemma with the coin toss. Where that felt like a hell yeah ending (screw the people who only won the coin toss), here Uchikoshi leaves us with some bittersweet feeling instead for the characters whose lives we've guided differently and that Tokiko won. I would say the first Ai game created a much more interesting adventure / mystery and some of its story highs were a bit higher among other things, but I think I value NirvanA Initiative more walking away from it since it really left me thinking about stories in general with what we want from them, what we expect from them, and what we get from interacting with them both positively and negatively and how this shapes future stories that get made.

That was my big takeaway, so I'll just sort of bullet point the rest:

Loved the first 999 Escape Room being recreated as a Somnium. What a cool thing for Uchikoshi fans. I wonder if they plan to remake 999 at some point like this, if it was just for fun, or if it was some kind of test they then fleshed out for the more escape room like Somniums?

I enjoyed playing as all three protagonists. My favorite other character was definitely Gen. Absolute bro and ProZD / Sungwon Cho had an awesome performance. Greg Chun incidentally still gave my favorite performance even if Date is occasionally an awful person lol.

I liked that you can keep asking Kagami his name at every opportunity and you could run off with the secretary again even though I don't believe for a second Ryuki ever would lol.

Definitely preferred the Grand Finale and the final Go Getters Theme performance over the final song and dance here. Part of it was I felt Mame should have been there, but the song is not as catchy as those two. Maybe I'll like it more when the full OST comes out. Incidentally, I guess I didn't care too much for Kizuna and Lien. Felt like Lien's English dub voice was a bit off compared to everyone else which took me out of it. He definitely proved himself over those six years and I do like his Somnium's story. I'm still relatively happy they got together in the end and he carries her so she can dance again.

Best Somniums were definitely Tesa's Pokemon themed one and Gen's cookoff. Incredibly fun stuff in both of them. Bibi's is a solid third. Shame the story ones didn't win out here for me, the first game had some really excellent ones for the story.

I kept thinking the "recreate the murder thing" was going to come up and get Ryuki and Mizuki fired lol.

Wink Psync was rad.

While my favorite part of the game, I was a little sad Uchikoshi was so heavily focused on the simulation theory thing. I like when he brings in more ideas that all come together. Here it was just always in your mind (especially since you experience it with Ryuki!), so I knew Mama was lying when she said nothing occult here.

I'm glad Uchikoshi / the game even more firmly and loudly says it stands with LGBTQ+, women, etc. That felt extra good at this moment in time.

Definitely wonder what a sequel will look like. Will it incorporate the golden ending in any way? If Tokiko escaped the world, will she ultimately care enough to return in a major way or not? I'm obviously more invested in the main timeline here. Maybe they will cross over? Not sure who I would want to see as playable characters next time either. I like all four protagonists so far for different reasons.

I just finished Hotel Dusk (finally)! Man, that was a great experience. Kyle Hyde is an a-hole, he's rude and sarcastic, but why do I still like him? I liked his dynamic with Louis, who I liked way more than I've expected. He's probably my favourite alongside Melissa, she's adorable and a really well written character, which I find pretty rare for a child character to be well written.
All the characters are pretty great. At first glance they seem just a few random people gathered together in the same hotel, but all their back stories and reasons why they're at the hotel is great and everything comes together so well. These are all characters dealing with their own problems in life, and it really left an impression.

I didn't get the secret(?) ending, but I looked it up online, which is just a few seconds of a post credit scene. Though it was pretty cool!

I got the regular ending where Mila left with Hyde. which I think is the canon ending because there is a sequel of this game. Though I don't have the sequel, so it'll be impossible for me to get my hands on it since it's so niche.

I got the Nonary Games on Gamepass and played a couple hours yesterday. Then, having played some and knowing I will enjoy these games, I took advantage of the steam sale on Zero Time Dilemma. Looks like I will be set for a while!

I know a lot of the hype right now is going to AI: nirvanA, so I may play that after finishing one of the Zero Escape games. I really enjoyed the Somnium Files, so I'm excited to be digging into more games from the same author!

I just finished Hotel Dusk (finally)! Man, that was a great experience. Kyle Hyde is an a-hole, he's rude and sarcastic, but why do I still like him? I liked his dynamic with Louis, who I liked way more than I've expected. He's probably my favourite alongside Melissa, she's adorable and a really well written character, which I find pretty rare for a child character to be well written.
All the characters are pretty great. At first glance they seem just a few random people gathered together in the same hotel, but all their back stories and reasons why they're at the hotel is great and everything comes together so well. These are all characters dealing with their own problems in life, and it really left an impression.

I didn't get the secret(?) ending, but I looked it up online, which is just a few seconds of a post credit scene. Though it was pretty cool!

I got the regular ending where Mila left with Hyde. which I think is the canon ending because there is a sequel of this game. Though I don't have the sequel, so it'll be impossible for me to get my hands on it since it's so niche.
I'm really happy I imported The Last Window when I did, crazy to see how expense it is now. I highly recommend you play the game anyway you can.

I wanted to write up a big post for Ai NirvanA Initiative and this feels like the best thread for it! In general I liked it more than the first one. The moment to moment flow is much better and the investigation / Somnium gameplay is a massive improvement over the first game (the logic here is so much clearer). I think it is my second favorite game of the year so far behind Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Since it's pretty hard to talk about otherwise, I'm just going to throw the rest of this behind a spoiler tag, but yeah I highly recommend it whether you've played the first game or not. I will discuss other recent Uchikoshi games in this post to be clear btw.

Ok obviously the coolest thing about NirvanA Initiative is the true timeline twist and the details that make it work. I was suspecting something was up in Mizuki's route when you find the other half of Andes Komeji's body on the rooftop. The thing with the suitcase was the big tip off, but I was also considering Ryuki was the drunk person since he starts the game drunk and could have been an unreliable narrator for a variety of reasons. I also was toying with Ryuki was shifting between timelines/worlds when he saw the ViewQube videos or as a reaction to them and separately that actions in Somnia were somehow affecting the past to the point I was occasionally rewriting it. I especially felt this where the big split in Mizuki's route is when you stop the drill as Aiba and shift to Bibi and I guess you can't say it isn't happening either with the Frayer / Simulation Theory stuff not to mention Dahlia Boat which Mama conveniently did not address! I definitely realized who Bibi was when you visit Shoma at this point in the hospital and that the timeline was messed up for that last Mizuki section before it's fully spelled out how extensive it was.

Anyway I really love how the twist works here because it makes the final meta ending really work for me. That there's three protagonists and Jin essentially had three body halves in play due to the organ transfer was super clever to keep you guessing. The rest you kind of fill in yourself at that point (ie incorrectly assuming the bodies halves were six years apart) and the twist clears up why Boss got so mad at Ryuki when he let the culprit escape in the cathedral when I believe if I have my timeline straight was actually when he shot the person setting up balloons. So yeah all of that is cool and then it leads into the final ending where you give Tokiko the Nil Number and share the future with Ryuki to get the golden ending. I have to say I definitely sympathize with Mame here in that she murdered a psychopath who butchered her father without remorse and she helped save humanity (not to say she didn't make other bad choices at points, but y'know!). The final dance had felt incomplete without Mame there so to see her get a good ending in the golden one felt right for me. Then you get that final scene though of Ryuki, Mizuki, and Bibi at the empty stadium and you kind of begin to wonder what people lost still not going on the adventures both we and they experienced. It made me think about the final ending of Zero Time Dilemma with the coin toss. Where that felt like a hell yeah ending (screw the people who only won the coin toss), here Uchikoshi leaves us with some bittersweet feeling instead for the characters whose lives we've guided differently and that Tokiko won. I would say the first Ai game created a much more interesting adventure / mystery and some of its story highs were a bit higher among other things, but I think I value NirvanA Initiative more walking away from it since it really left me thinking about stories in general with what we want from them, what we expect from them, and what we get from interacting with them both positively and negatively and how this shapes future stories that get made.

That was my big takeaway, so I'll just sort of bullet point the rest:

Loved the first 999 Escape Room being recreated as a Somnium. What a cool thing for Uchikoshi fans. I wonder if they plan to remake 999 at some point like this, if it was just for fun, or if it was some kind of test they then fleshed out for the more escape room like Somniums?

I enjoyed playing as all three protagonists. My favorite other character was definitely Gen. Absolute bro and ProZD / Sungwon Cho had an awesome performance. Greg Chun incidentally still gave my favorite performance even if Date is occasionally an awful person lol.

I liked that you can keep asking Kagami his name at every opportunity and you could run off with the secretary again even though I don't believe for a second Ryuki ever would lol.

Definitely preferred the Grand Finale and the final Go Getters Theme performance over the final song and dance here. Part of it was I felt Mame should have been there, but the song is not as catchy as those two. Maybe I'll like it more when the full OST comes out. Incidentally, I guess I didn't care too much for Kizuna and Lien. Felt like Lien's English dub voice was a bit off compared to everyone else which took me out of it. He definitely proved himself over those six years and I do like his Somnium's story. I'm still relatively happy they got together in the end and he carries her so she can dance again.

Best Somniums were definitely Tesa's Pokemon themed one and Gen's cookoff. Incredibly fun stuff in both of them. Bibi's is a solid third. Shame the story ones didn't win out here for me, the first game had some really excellent ones for the story.

I kept thinking the "recreate the murder thing" was going to come up and get Ryuki and Mizuki fired lol.

Wink Psync was rad.

While my favorite part of the game, I was a little sad Uchikoshi was so heavily focused on the simulation theory thing. I like when he brings in more ideas that all come together. Here it was just always in your mind (especially since you experience it with Ryuki!), so I knew Mama was lying when she said nothing occult here.

I'm glad Uchikoshi / the game even more firmly and loudly says it stands with LGBTQ+, women, etc. That felt extra good at this moment in time.

Definitely wonder what a sequel will look like. Will it incorporate the golden ending in any way? If Tokiko escaped the world, will she ultimately care enough to return in a major way or not? I'm obviously more invested in the main timeline here. Maybe they will cross over? Not sure who I would want to see as playable characters next time either. I like all four protagonists so far for different reasons.
Yeah both AI Somnium games have been fantastic. Back to desert mode waiting for the next Uchikoshi game. I did play ever 17 which I found 90% boring as hell 10% mind blowing amazing. How are the other games in that series? Worth playing?

I'm really happy I imported The Last Window when I did, crazy to see how expense it is now. I highly recommend you play the game anyway you can.
I am debating importing it. I got hotel dusk super cheap, like $20, but the last window is triple digits.

There are just too many great DS games man, I keep finding hidden gems!

I am debating importing it. I got hotel dusk super cheap, like $20, but the last window is triple digits.
Yeah, I got Hotel Dusk for €5 10 years ago. I didn't even know about a sequel until it was too late. No way am I paying a fortune on a videogame.

There are just too many great DS games man, I keep finding hidden gems!

Yeah, I got Hotel Dusk for €5 10 years ago. I didn't even know about a sequel until it was too late. No way am I paying a fortune on a videogame.
I had a ds growing up, but I did not appreciate its library. It was mostly my pokemon machine.

The I am willing to get at a high price, but once you go triple digits you lost me

Yurukill is out. I am going to get it this week but I am busy with AI: Nirvana plus work so Ill check it out a bit later.

Yurukill wasn't on my radar until last night but I immediately took interest. Thinking about picking it up, even though the backlog is endless, but I should probably at least play through the demo first since progress carries over.

I've been checking my Switch VN wishlist and I forgot I had some games on there.
How are the Grisaia trilogy and Grisaia Phantom Trigger games? There is a lot of stuff included in there, but I can't find any real impressions for this.
Same with Island and Loopers, are they good?

I'll probably get Yurukill at some point as well.

I had a ds growing up, but I did not appreciate its library. It was mostly my pokemon machine.

The I am willing to get at a high price, but once you go triple digits you lost me
I'm not paying anything above original store price, so I'm quite picky. I was lucky enough to buy some games when they were dirt cheap after the 3DS already released. But I have many that are cartridge only, or even fake ones.

I stopped caring about owning the box and stuff since I've dumped pretty much everything I own.

Yurukill wasn't on my radar until last night but I immediately took interest. Thinking about picking it up, even though the backlog is endless, but I should probably at least play through the demo first since progress carries over.
The demo is what sold me on the game.

I've been checking my Switch VN wishlist and I forgot I had some games on there.
How are the Grisaia trilogy and Grisaia Phantom Trigger games? There is a lot of stuff included in there, but I can't find any real impressions for this.
Same with Island and Loopers, are they good?

I'll probably get Yurukill at some point as well.

I'm not paying anything above original store price, so I'm quite picky. I was lucky enough to buy some games when they were dirt cheap after the 3DS already released. But I have many that are cartridge only, or even fake ones.

I stopped caring about owning the box and stuff since I've dumped pretty much everything I own.

I haven't played them yet, but my understanding is that, at least trigger, is that they are on the short length of a VN.

Loopers and Island, their coverage is minimal, maybe a site here or there.

Repo cards are super easy to get and cheap. Its great for pokemon games since the og are so expensive.

I haven't played them yet, but my understanding is that, at least trigger, is that they are on the short length of a VN.

Loopers and Island, their coverage is minimal, maybe a site here or there.

Repo cards are super easy to get and cheap. Its great for pokemon games since the og are so expensive.
Yeah, both I've mentioned are a collection of games. Phantom Trigger has 1 to 5, while there is a separate 5.5 VN.
Would be nice if more outlets would cover VN's.

The thing with the fake ones I have is that I was thinking I was buying a real cartridge. I would have been pissed if they didn't actually work, so it's not that bad I guess.

I lost my Heart Gold copy, I only have a backup and the original box. If I want to buy a new copy, it's going to cost a lot lol.

Yeah, both I've mentioned are a collection of games. Phantom Trigger has 1 to 5, while there is a separate 5.5 VN.
Would be nice if more outlets would cover VN's.

The thing with the fake ones I have is that I was thinking I was buying a real cartridge. I would have been pissed if they didn't actually work, so it's not that bad I guess.

I lost my Heart Gold copy, I only have a backup and the original box. If I want to buy a new copy, it's going to cost a lot lol.
The sites that I have seen tackle VNs are NintendoLife and NoisyPixels and even then its not a large range. Recently NL did the Yurukill review.

I bought a repo of Soulsilver cause I also lost my copy and it keep crashing. So yeah its a luck of the draw with those things.

The sites that I have seen tackle VNs are NintendoLife and NoisyPixels and even then its not a large range. Recently NL did the Yurukill review.

I bought a repo of Soulsilver cause I also lost my copy and it keep crashing. So yeah its a luck of the draw with those things.
Yeah, I've noticed NintendoLife having some VN reviews.

I'm too paranoid to deal with games that might or might not work lol. It's ridiculous that a popular game like Pokémon is so expensive.

Working through Zero Escape 999, already reached one ending. Really liking the story but the puzzles make me feel dumb sometimes.

"you're familiar with hexadecimal numbering, right?"

uhhh..... yeah.... of course..... hahaha

I've solved everything I've come across but sometimes it takes longer than I care to admit 😂

Does Yurukill seem like the type of game that may be hard to find physically later on? Only a couple of GameStops and independent stores seem to have it locally, but it is available on Amazon.

Yeah, I've noticed NintendoLife having some VN reviews.

I'm too paranoid to deal with games that might or might not work lol. It's ridiculous that a popular game like Pokémon is so expensive.
In 2022 you're just better off buying a flash cart and accepting you won't get to try pokewalker then spending a fortune on the gamble of getting a working copy with the walker.0

Does Yurukill seem like the type of game that may be hard to find physically later on? Only a couple of GameStops and independent stores seem to have it locally, but it is available on Amazon.
IzanagiGames last game was Worlds end club last year and you can still find a copy on amazon. NIS America is also handling the physical copies so at the very least you have a year-ish to find a physical copy before they become rare.

Cause I'm still thirsty for murder mystery and sci-fi, I'm now playing for the first time ever the Kojima classic Snatcher on Sega CD. Outside of the goofy gun sections so far it's been really good. Voice acting is really impressive for the mid 90's.

Finished Zero Escape 999! After playing this and Somnium Files earlier this year, I'm definitely an Uchikoshi fan now. I will likely start Virtue's Last Reward in a couple of weeks or so. These VNs are always a wild ride, so I want to let this one sit and play some other games before diving back in.

I'm at the last chapter of Great Ace Attorney 2.

Is this the hypest Ace Attorney has ever been? I'm inclined to say yes. It's also very sad that Shu Takumi hasn't released a game in forever at this point, give all the money to the man Capcom.

Apologize for the double post but goddamn

this is peak Ace Attorney.

Honestly, this game might break into my top 5, what a classic.

I wanted to redeem the gold coins off Yurukill and decided to boot it up. And not surprising they fixed the performance and weird frame pacing in the menu select on the switch version.

I completed AI Nirvana Initiative last night.

Man...this game definitely lived up to my hype and expectations. So many crazy twists and implications. It's currently morning and I'm still gathering my thoughts but god dammmnnnn, this game is everything I wanted.

I hope these types of games never die and we have more hybrid adventure/Visual novels.

P.S. Nirvana Initiative is craaaazzzzyyyy good.

Finished Yurukill earlier today and I really enjoyed it. Not gonna write a whole breakdown but it was an interesting experiment that merge VN, puzzles and shumps (got me into more shumps lol). It wraps up very well and maybeeee you can say a sequel might be in the works but who knows. Sales were ok so.

Pros: Interesting character design, VA was extra (in a good way), the individual stories are full of twist and turns.

Cons: Puzzles are either way too easy or obscure. Shump sections are rather basic (power ups are ok) bomb system is different. There are "quiz" sections (no spoilers) that answering that the logic seemed off.

Its middle of the road in length (took me around 13 hours to roll credits), late story get a bit predictable but fun nonetheless. So in the end I recommend it for anyone curious, try the demo (progress carries over), its 40$ digital, 50$ physical with soundtrack and artbook. It will probably go on sale in august/sep.

I played the switch version and it was great. Hope we keep getting games like AI (which I need to finish) and Yurukill that experiment with the genre

Back
Top Bottom