• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Valve: "Take a look inside the Steam Deck™!"

They had better tell us something about Switch’s successor before this hits. Personally, I think games are more important than hardware. Also, I never cared about fancy graphics, but not everyone is the same. Nintendo should come up with something soon if they don’t want to lose customers, because this thing is semi-portable and capable of doing a lot. It can be a threat.

It is maybe the most random thing to pick on but for such an interesting product you should want to sell for a global audience, the lack of subs in the video tells me Valve still lives in its own bubble in many regards for better or worse.

I have to wait until April for mine, which is fine, I wanted to get impressions first and cancel if it wasn't positive. That's still to be seen, but as a concept, it does excite me.

Super excited for mine. It feels like Valve is really doing everything just right.

This whole video makes me wish I actually was someone who would ever bother opening up and tinkering with the insides of something like this, since its so adamant not to do so. Anyways excited to get a steam deck have a good few PC/PS only games I wanna try on it.

I'm glad the Steam Deck looks to be easily repairable. It'd be nice if Nintendo took some design cues from Valve for the Switch successor. The Switch's Joy Con joysticks are such a pain to replace.

The giant
You shouldn't
do any of this.
text in the thumbnail is hilarious to me.

and also a bit unexpected, considering they previously released the CAD files for the Steam Controller.

if i were to guess, i'd say it's likely lessons learned from the steam controller. there was a vibrant community for them but perhaps oversold the hardware modification aspect which was more for the enthusiast than your average user. positioning steam deck as a friendly alternative to other pc-as-handheld products means they probably want to avoid encouraging everyone ripping theirs open, even if it seems perfectly safe to do so from the looks of this teardown.

It's also worth noting that just because someone has had experience messing around inside of their desktop, that's a whole different ballpark compared to something like the Steam Deck in size and stature. I've done some modifications to a few Vitas in my time, and I'd feel comfortable enough messing around inside of a Steam Deck, but it's absolutely the case where if you're the type of person that knows how to and loves to tinker - you know that notice isn't for you.

That was a very fun watch, lol.

I still feel some people have their expectations for this wayyyy too high, but I still hope it does well. We need the handheld PC market to expand.

It is maybe the most random thing to pick on but for such an interesting product you should want to sell for a global audience, the lack of subs in the video tells me Valve still lives in its own bubble in many regards for better or worse.
They're clearly not interested in a global audience. If they were, they wouldn't limit it to being sold only on Steam and in just a few specific countries.

Sucks.

If Deck becomes a thing I'll never purchase a desktop computer again.

They had better tell us something about Switch’s successor before this hits. Personally, I think games are more important than hardware. Also, I never cared about fancy graphics, but not everyone is the same. Nintendo should come up with something soon if they don’t want to lose customers, because this thing is semi-portable and capable of doing a lot. It can be a threat.
I sincerely doubt that. Most folk aren't gonna purchase a more niche device like this. Never mind that the Switch is selling for different reasons than the Steam Deck will. Saying this as someone who definitely wants to get his hands on one next year for some emulation, modern games, and indie stuff

I think the Steam Deck is positioning itself well where it doesn't need to sell nearly as well as the Switch. Valve is clearly happy with the interest so far, and developers seem to have a lot of good to say about the hardware/software too.

It's nobodies "main" market, and that's ok for what Valve is going for with it.

It's a PC. Emulator or not it's gonna have a bigger library than every console in existence.

Period.

With a emulator this will have a better classic library than the switch. Also playing modern games makes me think it might be a better value to consumers

Especially when that PS4 emulator gets open-sourced and tweeked by all those devs that's waiting for it.

Seeing as how sony plans to keep playstation 4 around for years more.

I am very excited about the steamdeck but dreading the release when it doesn't do everything under the sun.

Am just glad they have the touchpads - this is more or less my biggest wish from a handheld device. Not jumping in at launch (there are too many factors by the different hardware) but looking forward to seeing it come out and hopefully we see some develops go all in and take advantage of features.

Looks sick!

Can't wait for mine in quarter 1 2022! Already bought like 50 steam games lol. And wishlisted like 20. Hopefully someone makes a epic launcher work around without a fresh os install then i have hundreds of free games aswell ^^

As someone with no space or desire for building a PC or purchasing a gaming laptop, I am very much the Deck's target audience. I opted to wait for reviews and general availability but it looks great.

When I put my reservation down for the 256GB model I wasn't sure if I'd follow through but I gotta admit, they got me.

I really hope they nail compatibility. It sounds promising, but I'd really like to just get away with SteamOS and not have to put Windows on it.

Still hoping my order's getting pushed forward to Q4 2020. ;(

I expect my PC gaming time to grow considerably thanks to it.

I really hope they nail compatibility. It sounds promising, but I'd really like to just get away with SteamOS and not have to put Windows on it.

Based on the stuff that Krejlooc was talking about back on era, it really sounds like SteamOS and Proton should be more than suitable and you won't have to worry about dual-booting unless you really want Windows. Time will tell if they live up fully to that promise, but I look forward to it.

And besides, my unit won't ship until Q1 '22, anyway, so, I have more time to wait and see where the chips fall on compatibility, anyway!

Steam Deck is a must for me. That alongside Switch and I am done with "home consoles"

This would be the dream, for me. More and more, I grow weary of Sony's various things, but I wasn't really all that interested in getting back into the business of rebuilding a rig (again), even if PC gaming has been looking more enticing as years go by.

Steam Deck couldn't have come at a better time, for me.

When I put my reservation down for the 256GB model I wasn't sure if I'd follow through but I gotta admit, they got me.

I'm pretty much on the same boat.

I got my order in day 1 so I'm pretty excited for it. I do hope it will end up meeting expectations.

I thought about it, but then I looked at the price and realized it wasnt worth it. Hopefully its worth it for plenty though.

Really wish this was available in Australia. Though, by the time it releases here I have should have hopefully been able to save the money for it!

Mine's not coming in until late next year, unfortunately. This thing slots in so perfectly with my habits that it's a no brainer. Huge Steam library, love tailoring my experience to my preferences, don't want to pay up for cloud or online, I play lots of indies that will run like a dream on it, and I love getting games cheap. I don't think I'll even bother running Windows on it because there's more quality stuff than I have time to play on Steam alone.

Sounds like ProtonDB, but official and integrated into Steam? Definitely good to have for the end-user experience.

I might actually save for it and buy it, just to be able to play FFXIV when at my parents

Back
Top Bottom