• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pokémon Legends: Arceus (12.64M), Kirby and the Forgotten Land (2.65M), and more

Kirby doing those numbers in a few days is WELL DESERVED.

I feel bad for all the 2D/traditional gameplay fans here, though. I think Dread is doing really well, but overall, this list reflects that people want 3D, open-world, non-linear games.

Oh, and go-karts and anthropomorphic villager friends. But also open worlds and 3D games.
I don't really see it. Breath of the Wild is the only true open world game in this list, and while it has certainly been an enormous success, I don't think its success overrides the success of all the other games on the list. If anything, these sales suggest to me that there is room for games of every type of genre and budget to find success, which is fantastic.

Thanks to Pierre485

FSYPLN_XIAAmt3y

FSYPOJsXsAIxLFh

FSYPQruXEAE6OjW

FSYP7LjXwAArwtl

FSYP95wXsAEiZE6

FSYRLqdXsAAcwxz

FSYROTyXoAESnST

FSYRkfBXsAAQGxv

FSYSfxZXsAApRMk

FSYSjS4XsAAPt6_

FSYStiwX0AIW9WV

FSYTN6-XEAIVqMX

FSYTRB0WQAAMdfE

FSYTTvAXsAAXBeD

FSYTj3_XoAAwwE7

FSYUmRWXMAAPNq3

FSYUu0nWYAE-6Uw

FSYU3KnXIAAqQ_k

FSYVAYYWQAEldb9

FSYVNqDWYAAAlsn

FSYVqKPWYAIOoQW

FSYWCRGX0AEBr85

FSYWEaMXoAIWA3U

FSYWsENXoAAEIO6

FSYWsENWUAAqNxT

FSYWuC_XIAA2VRd

FSYXSq1WQAIVfLJ

FSYXVGVXIAULl1z

FSYXsfhXMAAG_TL

FSYXt1xWQAEaMgR

FSYYB5yXIAU3GKj

FSYYELRXMAUv7_z

FSYYYzqXIAEfpLq

FSYYau0XoAEl2_H

FSYYsrXXsAAFRJu

FSYYvqVXoAACvMU

FSYY-pJXsAATFx7

FSYZNTLXwAEyQIF

FSYZpy1XIAMwk5y

FSYZsMEWUAIv7nk

FSYZ3PMXsAECmTQ

FSYaFJrXsAAhM75

FSYaXchXIAI-vxJ

FSYal65XwAQYOle

FSYa0t7XsAA8onf

FSYbBHjXwAMb2ji

FSYeD2nXwAA0hp8

FSYe0QsXEAE9jSg

FSaKQuyWYAEwApH

FSaKWSjX0AArSlD

FSaLOa6WUAAHN2e

FSaLRJqXoAAZYXr

• Nintendo has distributed 78 games on Switch.
  • 50 of 78 games distributed by them have reached at least one million copies.
  • 55.77m Switch games were sold in the quarter.
  • 822.18m is the total number of games sold on Switch.
  • 3DS reached 388.55m games sold, in the last fiscal year it was 2.07m.
  • WiiU stood at 103.48m, having sold 130K games in the fiscal year.
  • NDS added 20K more games to reach 948.74m
  • Wii had no variations and its figure is 921.85m
  • 49.5% of sales for the quarter correspond to digital sales.

@acezam Amazing posts! Thank you so much!

I wonder what were the 28 Nintendo distributed games that didn't reach a million.

FSYYB5yXIAU3GKj

FSYYELRXMAUv7_z

FSYYYzqXIAEfpLq

FSYYau0XoAEl2_H

FSYYsrXXsAAFRJu

FSYYvqVXoAACvMU

FSYY-pJXsAATFx7

FSYZNTLXwAEyQIF

FSYZpy1XIAMwk5y

FSYZsMEWUAIv7nk

FSYZ3PMXsAECmTQ

FSYaFJrXsAAhM75

FSYaXchXIAI-vxJ

FSYal65XwAQYOle

FSYa0t7XsAA8onf

FSYbBHjXwAMb2ji

FSYeD2nXwAA0hp8

FSYe0QsXEAE9jSg

FSaKQuyWYAEwApH

FSaKWSjX0AArSlD

FSaLOa6WUAAHN2e

FSaLRJqXoAAZYXr

• Nintendo has distributed 78 games on Switch.
  • 50 of 78 games distributed by them have reached at least one million copies.
  • 55.77m Switch games were sold in the quarter.
  • 822.18m is the total number of games sold on Switch.
  • 3DS reached 388.55m games sold, in the last fiscal year it was 2.07m.
  • WiiU stood at 103.48m, having sold 130K games in the fiscal year.
  • NDS added 20K more games to reach 948.74m
  • Wii had no variations and its figure is 921.85m
  • 49.5% of sales for the quarter correspond to digital sales.
Who bought 20k nds games

@acezam Amazing posts! Thank you so much!

I wonder what were the 28 Nintendo distributed games that didn't reach a million.
If you list off everything Nintendo have published at retail that we haven't heard hit 1m units sold in those regions, then you get exactly 28 games:
  1. Fire Emblem Warriors (NA + PAL)
  2. Snipperclips Plus (WW; Physical)
  3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (JP)
  4. Dragon Quest Builders (NA + PAL)
  5. Bayonetta 1+2 (WW)
  6. Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit (WW)
  7. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (NA + PAL)
  8. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (WW)
  9. Go Vacation (NA + PAL)
  10. Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit (WW)
  11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Torna: The Golden Country (WW; Physical)
  12. The World Ends with You: Final Remix (NA + PAL)
  13. Fitness Boxing (NA + PAL)
  14. Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit (WW)
  15. Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda (NA + PAL)
  16. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NA + PAL)
  17. Tetris 99 (WW; Physical)
  18. DAEMON X MACHINA (NA + PAL)
  19. DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (NA + PAL)
  20. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore (WW)
  21. Fitness Boxing 2 (NA + PAL)
  22. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light (NA + AU; Limited Edition)
  23. Buddy Mission BOND (JP)
  24. Bravely Default II (NA + PAL)
  25. Famicom Detective Club (JP; Limited Edition)
  26. DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power (WW)
  27. Shin Megami Tensei V (PAL)
  28. Triangle Strategy (NA + PAL)
Note that games like Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario + Rabbids and the DQ titles crossed over 1m worldwide (well over for the latter two), but that accounts for regions where Nintendo didn't publish them.

I like how Mario Maker 2 is like the most successful "flop" of all time. Game sold over 7 million copies and people seem to think Nintendo is going to cancel the series after it sold better on Switch then it did on WiiU.

I like how Mario Maker 2 is like the most successful "flop" of all time. Game sold over 7 million copies and people seem to think Nintendo is going to cancel the series after it sold better on Switch then it did on WiiU.
I think the director leaving Nintendo is more likely a culprit of the series going into cold storage. As someone who loved the game though I’m not sure what they could add to 3 that would make it stand out more. I mean I’d buy a series of iterative Mario Maker sequels but not sure if Nintendo will invest in that.

~4 million for skyward sword is not that bad, but I'm glad it didn't fly off shells and below expectations. I really enjoyed the game on Wii despite it's flaws, and don't regret getting the switch remaster (I liked the qol stuff and 1080p 60fps), but seriously.. Fuck Nintendo for trying to sell a Wii port for $60.

I get that business is business... But The success of the switch has made them really arrogant. It was questionable enough that they are selling Wii U ports for $60 with bare minimum changes... But then they threw out that $60 for skyward sword retail.

People should not be expecting $60 bundles for TP and WW HD...

@acezam absolutely epic posts, thank you. Those were super fascinating to me and that must've taken a lot of time. As for Skyward Sword, a lot of updates were put into that. $50 would have been more acceptable, but at least they did a ton of work to it--including reworking of very difficult controls.

What is crazy is if you look at some of these games, they are still selling the same in Q1 2022 as they did in Q1 2021, which was certainly a time when more folks were locked down and gaming. So the fact that Switch, one year later with people having many more options, is still selling this much, is truly astounding. I for one am very happy. They may be a corporation, but after getting an Xbox, I realized that I only game because of Nintendo stuff. If they failed, I would just stop--nothing on other systems really intrigues me. I wish they did, but they're just too gritty and get too close to the real world for me. Plus, this means more money for new games, more risks (I.e. WarioWare), and better consoles once all this chip shortage is over.

~4 million for skyward sword is not that bad, but I'm glad it didn't fly off shells and below expectations. I really enjoyed the game on Wii despite it's flaws, and don't regret getting the switch remaster (I liked the qol stuff and 1080p 60fps), but seriously.. Fuck Nintendo for trying to sell a Wii port for $60.

I get that business is business... But The success of the switch has made them really arrogant. It was questionable enough that they are selling Wii U ports for $60 with bare minimum changes... But then they threw out that $60 for skyward sword retail.

People should not be expecting $60 bundles for TP and WW HD...
Eh, Skyward Sword actually had notable improvements and it wasn’t just a port.

I think some of the Wii U ports like NSMBU Deluxe and Tropical Freeze are more egregious in their pricing.

Eh, Skyward Sword actually had notable improvements and it wasn’t just a port.

I think some of the Wii U ports like NSMBU Deluxe and Tropical Freeze are more egregious in their pricing.
Its a port that took a few months and was outsourced to a 3rd party developer Tantalus (not shitting on them) .1080p resolution and 60fps are basically free upgrades. They had some QoL updates which are nice and they put some effort into the control scheme, including dual analog. But it's by all means a Wii game. For $60. I couldn't recommend this to anyone for $60, despite the QoL features. $30 yes. Maybe $40 for really hardcore Zelda games. You would never see any other company do this. It's only Nintendo because they are trying to be Apple and over valuing their brand. We already know their 1st party titles rarely ever get permanent price drops (RIP Nitnendo select games).

Who knows what's next.. $60 port of super Mario Galaxy 2, and we'd have apologists saying, "buttt 1080p resolution and QoL features"

But hey while we are on remasters, you can expect TP HD and WW HD with minimal changes for $60 each.

If they gave the game the WW HD or Link's Awakening treatment, I could justify $60. Heck even TP HD treatment could be sort of justified with HD textures and upgraded lighting and shadows for retail or less.
They didn't
Can't tell if it's a drive-by post. I would know dude because i preordered the game from Walmart. I used two gift cards to pay less than the $60 retail. And guess how much it's selling now still for physical?

Last edited:
Can't tell if it's a drive-by post. I would know dude because i preordered the game from Walmart. I used two gift cards to pay less than the $60 retail. And guess how much it's selling now still for physical?

I'm saying it's not a port
Nintendo sets the price, not the value. As someone who never owned Skyward Sword, I wasn't just buying "a Wii game for $60 bucks", I was buying "a new 3D Zelda game in HD, running at 60fps, with QoL improvements, on Nintendo's best platform which doesn't require a godawful brick remote to play"

You are clearly someone who has already played and beaten the game on the Wii, so the most you'd be getting is its replay value, which sounds to me like isn't worth $60 to you. Which is fine

I'm saying it's not a port

It's an objectively definitive version of the game, in HD, running at 60fps, with QoL improvements, on Nintendo's best platform which doesn't require a godawful brick remote to play

Not some copy/paste "port"
I agree its the definitive version.

I acknowledged all those things you mentioned in my previous post, but again, with the changes made, I can't justify recommending anyone to purchase for $60. Nintendo's justification is "1st party zelda branding" and taking advantage of the switch selling so well.
But there are no HD textures, lighting, polygon remodels. This game didn't get the xenoblade de treatment, and certainly not the Windwaker HD treatment or even FFX treatment. It's still the same game in the end that isn't that much different from how the wii version plays. Some features to make the game less annoying, and just performs better and has more pixels from a free upgrade from being on stronger hardware, that requires minimum effort. The most effort they put into is the controls, particularly dual analog, which I commend. All which are fine, but for $60 compared to actual HD games, is laughable. But its Nintendo that's pricing it.

Nintendo is so heavily reliant on first party software sales (much more than Sony or Microsoft) that I totally get why they keep their prices relatively high and stable. I think they could be more flexible in this regard, though. I don’t understand why games like Arms or Astral Chain haven’t seen permanent price drops when they most likely stopped selling any significant numers ages ago. But there’s also nothing really "wrong" with setting a price for a game and customers deciding whether they want to pay it or not.

Kirby doing those numbers in a few days is WELL DESERVED.

I feel bad for all the 2D/traditional gameplay fans here, though. I think Dread is doing really well, but overall, this list reflects that people want 3D, open-world, non-linear games.

Oh, and go-karts and anthropomorphic villager friends. But also open worlds and 3D games.
As someone who's been hoping for awhile that Nintendo goes 3D with franchises like Kirby, DK, Yoshi, whatever or give us more 3D platformers than just Mario and same with more adventure titles than just Zelda. Metroid Dread sales are not only incredible but also the return on investment on a game like that is way bigger than a a big 3D game selling 4M or so.

So yeah, there's room for all but I agree that the majority (me included) wants more big 3D games from Nintendo.

I agree its the definitive version.

I acknowledged all those things you mentioned in my previous post, but again, with the changes made, I can't justify recommending anyone to purchase for $60. Nintendo's justification is "1st party zelda branding" and taking advantage of the switch selling so well.
But there are no HD textures, lighting, polygon remodels. This game didn't get the xenoblade de treatment, and certainly not the Windwaker HD treatment or even FFX treatment. It's still the same game in the end that isn't that much different from how the wii version plays. Some features to make the game less annoying, and just performs better and has more pixels from a free upgrade from being on stronger hardware, that requires minimum effort. The most effort they put into is the controls, particularly dual analog, which I commend. All which are fine, but for $60 compared to actual HD games, is laughable. But its Nintendo that's pricing it.
It's funny you say that, considering WWHD was only 6 months in development.

Also, the 60FPS wasn't as simple as you think, considering literally all the game's mechanics were directly tied to the 30FPS framerate. They had to redo all of them to fit the FPS upgrade, which definitely took a lot of time. A 60FPS patch doesn't even exist for the Wii version.

Nintendo is so heavily reliant on first party software sales (much more than Sony or Microsoft) that I totally get why they keep their prices relatively high and stable. I think they could be more flexible in this regard, though. I don’t understand why games like Arms or Astral Chain haven’t seen permanent price drops when they most likely stopped selling any significant numers ages ago. But there’s also nothing really "wrong" with setting a price for a game and customers deciding whether they want to pay it or not.

With the current state of Switch software, I personally aint that "upset" over Nintendo's pricing. If I think a title is too expensive but I'm interested in the title, I put it on Dekudeals wish list and wait for that standard 33% Nintendo sale to appear.

But the main reason why I don't care about Nintendo's software prices is that the pricing has become quite competitive now among the 3rd party and indie developers on Switch. There's just so many games to play for good prices. For example, at the recent eShop Spring Sale, I bought 7 third party games from my wish list for the total price of a full-priced Nintendo title. The main issue for me is a time issue: how will I ever be able to play all these great games?

Anyhow, it would be interesting to know why Nintendo isn't releasing "Select" series of some of their games for the Switch. One reason might that they notice people are interested in buying games on the Switch regardless.

I think the director leaving Nintendo is more likely a culprit of the series going into cold storage. As someone who loved the game though I’m not sure what they could add to 3 that would make it stand out more. I mean I’d buy a series of iterative Mario Maker sequels but not sure if Nintendo will invest in that.

I agree the director leaving is probably a bigger issue for the series continuing, but most people aren't raising that point on other gaming sites/twitter, they're referencing sales numbers saying the game "underperformed".

Also there is still tons they can add to Mario Maker. Theres a huge variety of enemies missing like Chargin Chuck, Fuzzies, and Thwimps. We could also see more power ups adapted like the blue shell, penguin suit, and carrot from SML2. There's a huge variety of platforms and mechanics missing too like slanted pipes that shoot you out, the spinning platforms impacted by weight, and dolphins. You can also expand 3d world theme by having more items from older themes work in it and vice versa. You can also expand the worlds mechanic to have stages more expressly linked like we saw in SMW and NSMB via overworld switches, or give stages alternative exits which open alternative routes. All of that is without even talking about completely new stuff they just make up such as more abilities like the Link powerup (like Kirby or Samus), more tools/mechanics expressly made for coop/vs multiplayer (a proper gate system to make sure players can only go down their path, buttons that require 2-4 players to hit), or even just expanding the limits of what a stage can have (levels that are only vertical, a second sub world, the start and level clear being in different sub worlds, etc).

There's just so much you can add to the Mario Maker system, and that's not even mentioning how the community is still finding new tricks or coming up with crazy devices to make levels we've never seen before.

Yosuke Oshino leaving Nintendo probably isn’t going to influence whether Mario Maker continues or not, as Tezuka and Kimura are still there.

We’ll likely never know Nintendo’s internal projections for MM2. Most of the assumptions about it underperforming are due to the game not having a huge boost in sales in comparison to the first and an additional style potentially being scrapped.

I think I mentioned it a while back, but if Shigefumi Hino‘s next game is something else, then we probably won’t see another Mario Maker title for a while. Even that could be just down to waiting for the next system.

I honestly believe Super Mario Maker 2 would have sold better if the marketing for it emphasized the "you can play infinite numbers of Mario courses" aspect. Look at all the advertising and it only ever shows the creation tools. I've had friends tell me they weren't interested in Mario Maker because "I don't like making levels," seemingly not aware that you don't have to make a single level in Mario Maker to get hours and hours of play value out of it.

Wow, depressing. Dread had no legs after all. Its going to reach 3 million but only barely. It does make sense since it didnt have much talk after launch but maaan, ugh. To think SMTV sold as much as it did after launch...
Take into account that Q4 is normally a quarter where less sales happen. AFAIK Dread hasn't been discounted yet either so that is also something to take into account for future Quarters.

Take into account that Q4 is normally a quarter where less sales happen. AFAIK Dread hasn't been discounted yet either so that is also something to take into account for future Quarters.
True. After i made that comment i began to rationalize it and i thought it wasnt so bad. Lets see the CESA report in the future and hope for a more interesting number, overall.

60fps are basically free upgrades.
It's really not. There's a reason none of the Zelda games that run in Dolphin have 60fps patches (which made the comments last year by people claiming they'd already played at that framerate all the more amusing).

That's not to say you need to be satisfied with what they put out, but making claims you can't back up are just going to detract from your point. Same goes for claiming it took "a few months".

Do we already have the Q&A section of the investor meeting with the president and the rest of the board of directors available? I am unable to find it this time, not even on twitter where it is usual to find questions and answers in threads created by David Gibson (if I remember correctly).

No doubt about Mario Maker 2 being successful, just people generally thought that after Mario Maker 1 sold 4m+ on Wii U, that on Switch Mario Maker 2 will be 10m+ seller.

Talking about series future, its unclear, same like for 2D Mario games (NSMB series is dead now).

No doubt about Mario Maker 2 being successful, just people generally thought that after Mario Maker 1 sold 4m+ on Wii U, that on Switch Mario Maker 2 will be 10m+ seller.

Talking about series future, its unclear, same like for 2D Mario games (NSMB series is dead now).
NSMBUD has sold 13+ million copies on Switch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a NSMBS/S2 in the future. New series is still incredibly popular no matter how much the hard core gaming crowd wants to deny it's greatness and success.

A new 2D traditional Mario that releases early on a successful console life is a 20m seller at worst, Nintendo will try to get a 2D Mario no matter what next console.

NSMBUD has sold 13+ million copies on Switch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a NSMBS/S2 in the future. New series is still incredibly popular no matter how much the hard core gaming crowd wants to deny it's greatness and success.

True, its still very popular, but we had like 5 NSMB games and they are similar, we need something new and different,
IMO we are getting some kind new 2D Mario game not NSMB.

True, its still very popular, but we had like 5 NSMB games and they are similar, we need something new and different,
IMO we are getting some kind new 2D Mario game not NSMB.
You WANT something new and different, nothing about the market shows we NEED something new and different.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next 2D Mario assuming it isn't part of the newer line doesn't follow up when MM2 did by using the 3D World style greatly expanded as a full 2D game.

You WANT something new and different, nothing about the market shows we NEED something new and different.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next 2D Mario assuming it isn't part of the newer line doesn't follow up when MM2 did by using the 3D World style greatly expanded as a full 2D game.

NSMBU was basically NSMB in HD and thats wasnt best or system seller Wii U launch title...but we will see, I personally dont expect any new NSMB game.

Apparently Switch Sports sold 3+ millions worldwide as of May 12. Good split between retail and digital, soft drop for second week. And strongest market is the United States (but I guess that was expected.)
So a strong start. I wonder what is the ceiling for this.
source :

The NSMB series has definitely seen a dropoff from the peak performance on DS/Wii. Of course, dropping off from 30 million to 10-15 million is the kind of sales most series would kill to have, but I think the next 2D Mario will be another reinvention of some kind, even if it's not a radical one. I doubt it's just NSMB5.

Apparently Switch Sports sold 3+ millions worldwide as of May 12. Good split between retail and digital, soft drop for second week. And strongest market is the United States (but I guess that was expected.)
So a strong start. I wonder what is the ceiling for this.
source :

Wouldn't take Paul Gale's word as absolute; hasn't exactly been the most reliable source in the past. I'm sure the game is performing around where he's saying but it'd be best to just wait for Q1 results to see how it really does.

The NSMB series has definitely seen a dropoff from the peak performance on DS/Wii. Of course, dropping off from 30 million to 10-15 million is the kind of sales most series would kill to have, but I think the next 2D Mario will be another reinvention of some kind, even if it's not a radical one. I doubt it's just NSMB5.
Definitely. Has nothing to do with the performance of NSMBUDX or SMM2, it's just time for a 2D Mario refresh. While i'd love to have a game with the same visual style as the 2D artwork used to promote these games, i'm expecting something more like the 3D World theme in Mario Maker 2. Bring some 3D Mario elements in 2D Mario.

Back
Top Bottom