• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pokémon Legends: Arceus (12.64M), Kirby and the Forgotten Land (2.65M), and more

mazi

picross pundit

updated sales numbers as of March 31, 2022 (+sales in the last quarter):

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 45.33M (+1.98M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 38.64M (+1.02M)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 28.17M (+770K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 26.55M (+750K)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 24.27M (+370K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 23.50M (+480K)
  • Super Mario Party - 17.78M (+390K)
  • Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 14.65M (+680K)
  • Pokemon: Let's Go! - 14.53M (+200K)
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 14.09M (+560K)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 13.31M (+590K)
  • Splatoon 2 - 13.30M (+620K since September 2021)
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 12.64M
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - 11.43M (+390K)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - 9.43M (+580K)
  • Mario Party Superstars - 6.88M (+1.45M)
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 4.22M (+1.08M since March 2021)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - 3.91M (+60K)
  • Metroid Dread - 2.90M (+160K)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 2.65M
  • New Pokémon Snap - 2.40M (+40K, not including sales in Japan)
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush - 2.35M (+90K)
  • Miitopia - 1.68M (+50K)
  • Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain - 1.59M (+310K)
  • WarioWare: Get It Together! - 1.27M (+30K)
  • Game Builder Garage - 1.06M (+50K)

Last edited:
Mario Kart at 45m...God damn.

What's even more insane that it sold 9m throughout the year.

Last edited:
Was hoping Dread would have crossed 3 million. Didn’t see too much talk after launch. Still an amazing game that I’m so glad we have. Only real contender to Super Metroid for the 2D games imo.

Over 9 million for Super Mario 3D World is awesome. Fantastic game.

Wow, depressing. Dread had no legs after all. Its going to reach 3 million but only barely. It does make sense since it didnt have much talk after launch but maaan, ugh. To think SMTV sold as much as it did after launch...

Kirby doing 2,65m in the last days of March is impressive.

Too bad about Metroid Dread not cracking 3M but I still think it's a positive result.

Do we have updated Japanese numbers for Pokémon Snap?

Dread and the Forgotten Land sales seems excellent to me, if you consider the range of this two franchises. TFL wil probably be the best Kirby game sales wise, and 2.9 millions units in 6 months is huge for a 2D Metroidvania game these days. I'm impressed by Legends: Arceus, a sequel sooner or later is a given, with this sales range.

I'll re-iterate what I said in the last Dread sales thread that Metroid has never been an evergreen series and it should never have had that expectation placed upon it. Moody, slow-paced atmospheric sci-fi shooters have a limited appeal among general audiences. It's still going to be the best selling Metroid and that should be seen as a success by any measure.

The lack of legs of Skyward Sword is astonishing.
I feel like a $60 remaster for a game that was already on a userbase of >100 million with minimal changes just isn't a very appealing product on the whole.

Kirby Forgotten Land if it has got this number, plus the amazing legs is having everywhere means that right now it should be the 2nd best selling entry and that it could even be the best selling ones by the end of the FY.

from install base:

Metroid lifetime-to-date shipments:

Metroid Prime (GC): 2.84 million
Metroid Dread (NSW): 2.74 million
Metroid (NES): 2.73 million
Metroid 2 Return of Samus (GB): 1.72 million
Metroid Fusion (GBA): 1.60 million
Super Metroid (SNES): 1.42 million
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (Wii): 1.41 million
Metroid Prime 2 (GC): 1.10 million
Metroid Prime Hunters (DS): 1.08 million

Below 1 million:
Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) (482K in USA, 85K in Japan)
Metroid Other M (Wii) (349K in USA, 76K in Japan)
Metroid Samus Returns (3DS) (42K in Japan)
Metroid Prime Pinball (DS) (172K in USA, 15K in Japan)
Metroid Prime Federation Force (3DS) (6K in Japan)
I asked about Metroid series sales in the last thread. Dread is already now the best selling Metroid game with the latest numbers.

3 mil for Metroid Dread within the FY was never the goal. It was always 1 year from release...IYKYK

Otherwise great numbers - as usual. Nintendo, suffering from success etc etc.

3 mil for Metroid Dread within the FY was never the goal. It was always 1 year from release...IYKYK

Otherwise great numbers - as usual. Nintendo, suffering from success etc etc.
We will know not Metroid Dread hitting 3M one year from release now if there is no PR post which is uncommon by Nintendo.

Yeah yeah i know 2,9 is still a great number. I just saw SMTV managing to hit 1 mill and i thought "man if smt did that then dread could do something larger yeah"

Also im not worried anymore about not seeing the sales numbers, isnt there that japan website that reports sales from games nintendo doesnt reports anymore?

Also im not worried anymore about not seeing the sales numbers, isnt there that japan website that reports sales from games nintendo doesnt reports anymore?
you mean this?

I did not know Clubhouse Games was this popular.
I'm glad Mario Party Superstars is doing really well, crazy how Super Mario Party passed 17 million lol I forgot about that

I did not know Clubhouse Games was this popular.
I'm glad Mario Party Superstars is doing really well, crazy how Super Mario Party passed 17 million lol I forgot about that
It is very successful in Japan. There it is a million seller at retail, not even including digital. It is also a very well made game so I'm glad it is doing great.

It is very successful in Japan. There it is a million seller at retail, not even including digital. It is also a very well made game so I'm glad it is doing great.
Yeah, I'm happy it's doing well too. I love when big publishers still do smaller games, plus I love party games.
Being a million seller at retail in Japan alone might be even more impressive, I missed that as well.

What I find interesting is how, despite carrying the prestigious name of "Super Mario", Super Mario Maker 2 did not have sustained records, whereas the other games including the first-year game Super Mario Odyssey, still got the sales. It's little wonder the support for that game did not last long.

As for Switch setting records, thus far a few did not manage to beat older games. For example, the original Super Mario Bros. have not been beaten for the best-selling Super Mario game, and the same goes for Pokemon (Sword & Shield may be second-best, but still far from being the best). It remains to be seen for Kirby despite having a strong start.

Once again, seeing Mario Party doing great is wondrous. That series tends to be overlooked and underestimated by a lot of folks.

Thank you for reading.

According to Wikipedia, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales (45.33 million) are bigger than the population of Sudan (44.4 million), but slightly below Algeria (45.4 million). Spain, the 30th most populous country in the world, sits at 47.3 million people according to Wikipedia. Will the booster pass push Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales beyond the population of Spain by the next financial update? Certainly seems possible.

NDCube may end up getting a 20M+ seller with Super Mario Party which is amazing for them when you consider their size.

splatoon series sales have passes 18 million.
A couple more before it will be qualified for Wikipedia's "List of best selling video game franchises" page, and it would be the youngest to be on that page (Watch Dogs is currently the youngest)!

Thank you for reading.

Lots of big milestones coming up this coming year or so:

50m for MK8D (and well beyond)
40m for ACNH
30m for Smash Ultimate
20m for Super Mario Party
15m for BDSP, LGPE, Ring Fit, and possibly Legends Arceus
10m for SM3DW+BF and MPSS (and beyond)
5m for Clubhouse Games
3m for Dread

Good stuff!! Can't wait to see Switch Sports numbers!

Switch will become the third best selling system of all time by the end of this calendar year, PS4 and GB will be overtaken. Crazy to imagine this.

Does Nintendo update the sales numbers of all their games at some point? I'm curious to how much games like Fire Emblem and Astral Chain have sold since the last time they shared them. Or am I missing something?

Switch will become the third best selling system of all time by the end of this calendar year, PS4 and GB will be overtaken. Crazy to imagine this.

Does Nintendo update the sales numbers of all their games at some point? I'm curious to how much games like Fire Emblem and Astral Chain have sold since the last time they shared them. Or am I missing something?

Wii Sports is never gonna be topped huh?
Hard to beat a pack-in game i’d say. Maybe if they bundled in 1-2-Switch! 😛

Already explained above; the CESA white papers are where sales will be updated even for games that fail to hit 1m within or after their launch year. My spreadsheet already has the most recent numbers (December 2020) from them.

Breath of the Wild is an evergreen beast. Would never have thought Zelda to outsell mainline Mario, but here we are. A genuinely new 2D Mario might do some crazy numbers though.

Once again, it makes me think that BotW2 is going to be a completely different beast. They'd want BotW to keep selling as well, so differentiating the two would make sense.

It’s interesting how many of these smaller games like Big Brain Academy, Game Builder Garage etc. have all managed to hit at least 1m. It’s a positive sign for future entries in "handheld series" like Rhythm Heaven etc.

the success of switch's top software is insane, if the new system (whenever it comes) supports switch's cartidges or digital games then they are gonna keep on selling for years and years

and Mario Kart 8 doing almost 10 million on its 5th year, come on man :LOL:

even Splatoon 2 did a million this year even after the announcement of 3

Also 14 10-million sellers (which will be without a doubt 19 with Mario Party SS, 3DWorld, BOTW2, Splatoon3, new Pokemon) versus 10 in DS and 9 on Wii... what a success

If 39 titles sold more than 1 million units during the past 12 months, there must be a healthy amount of 3rd party titles among those.
They say as much themselves in the results, yes.

IMG_9314.png

By the end of next fiscal year 5 of the top 10 games could be Pokémon.
This shows how important Pokemon was to Switch success, imo more than pandemic (which of course helped) having Pokemon + Animal Crossing late 2019/early 2020 is what made Switch go from this is a success worldwide and an even bigger hit in Japan to this is one of the biggest consoles of all time

They share the updated sales on their 1M sellers to CESA last update : https://famiboards.com/threads/cesa...tendo-switch-wiiu-3ds-sales-data-update.2775/

Hard to beat a pack-in game i’d say. Maybe if they bundled in 1-2-Switch! 😛

Already explained above; the CESA white papers are where sales will be updated even for games that fail to hit 1m within or after their launch year. My spreadsheet already has the most recent numbers (December 2020) from them.
Many thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom