• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic TUNIC |ST| 🦊 🗡️🛡️ | Manual Transmission | Please Tag Spoilers! |

I had a great experience on Xbox Series X (as I've chronicled in this ST). I'm 90% a Switch player and don't really finish games on Xbox. But this grabbed me. Glad it's coming to Switch. The trailer looked like it's 30fps and maybe less. I hope it's playable, but from what I've seen so far I'm not sure I'll double dip.

Looked rough performance wise, but hopefully an old-ish build and day 1 patch can bring it to 30fps locked, at least in portable mode. I hope it’s at least 600p in portable mode, it’d be great if it could hit 720p dynamic but not holding my breath

Ugh. Please be decent please be decent please be decent.

It can be blurry as fuck but please have decent performance.

This is one of those games that I could've played for free on Game Pass but I'd rather pay for it to have on my Switch if it's decent.

Looks like the Switch announcement had to be on Nintendo’s own presentation. I thought that game looked cheesy in the way that it goes pretty far in the homage territory (did it really need to be called Tunic and have a fake Hylian Shield) but if it’s apparently this mindblowing puzzle game GOTY contender then I guess I could buy it day 1 and see what it’s about
It's phenomenal, in my top 3 GOTY so far. It's definitely meant to evoke playing something like the original Legend of Zelda as a kid, with nothing but the manual as a guide. I would advise anyone who's remotely interested to go in knowing as little about it as possible, odd as that may sound. The sense of discovery is the magic.

Coming to Switch after all! I was worried it might skip it, since the PS version was announced separately earlier. I'm definitely going to play this, but I'll wait and see how the handheld performance is to decide the platform.

It's definitely worth playing. The swordplay is a little mushy (the rest of the combat works better), but just exporing the world and making progress is extremely satisfying.

I wasn't a fan of the massively esoteric puzzles at the end, but they're optional so I suppose it's fine.

The "game manual" within the game is one of the best crafted pieces of in game art I've ever seen. It's perfect.

@Heron, esoteric is definitely fair. 😆

We have one and a half mini notebooks filled with trying to figure them out. It was worth the time it took though! Solving the puzzles was one of the most satisfying gaming experiences ever for me.

@Heron, esoteric is definitely fair. 😆

We have one and a half mini notebooks filled with trying to figure them out. It was worth the time it took though! Solving the puzzles was one of the most satisfying gaming experiences ever for me.
I liked it for a while, but I did think it got to be a bit much by the end. The endgame didn't quite capture the pure magic of the early-midgame for me, but it was still good!

Get it, people. One of the best indie games of all time.

And I never really understood complaints about the combat. Sure, it's simple, but it felt very satisfying and decently challenging.

I've been following it for years pre-release and I was really skeptical whether it would carve out its own unique game space or if it would just be a Zelda clone like others. But yeah, it really lived up to the hype for me and greatly exceeded it. The progression of the game and feeling of discovery and the thoughtfulness of the puzzles on display...and the incredible OST... really make for a special experience. The direct homages are definitely there but the game does its own unique thing, especially as you progress.

I can see the game being polarizing in the way it asks a lot of the player to deduce where and how to progress. But for me it was a perfect balance of direction and discovery. I can also see the high difficulty of some sections being a turn-off but I found it really rewarding to persevere through these, and thankfully there are accessibility options if it gets too frustrating.

The mechanic the game uses to teach the player about the game and its world is endlessly engaging to me and really put me in touch with my gaming inner child.

Ok, I'll stop gushing lol. I'm glad you're going to give it a shot and I hope you dig it. Of course even the best games rarely feel incredible right from the beginning so I don't want to mis-set expectations or overhype people. I'm just really glad this is coming to Switch where I think a lot of gamers will appreciate it deeply.

And if anyone's wondering, since yesterday I wore my Tunic shirt, today I'm wearing my Celeste shirt. 😄
Yeah I actually didn’t follow this game at all, I knew about it when it was announced during that Microsoft presentation, thought it was way too on the nose. Once it came out and people mostly praised the puzzles (something about an in-game manual and a fictional language, that’s all I know), I figured that the game must stand out from the indie Zelda clones out there. I don’t really have huge expectations but I would be pleasantly surprised if it delivers in terms of originality

Get it, people. One of the best indie games of all time.

And I never really understood complaints about the combat. Sure, it's simple, but it felt very satisfying and decently challenging.
Agreed with all of this! And it has some surprising complexities to it when you plumb its strategic depths.

To be honest, even if it would be "to on the nose" and just a indie zelda... if it would be just an really good indie zelda i already would be in.
Think about it, the last NEW Singleplayer 2D zelda was 2013... its not like those are a big priority for nintendo anymore.
And even that leaned heavily on an existing one...
Before that we had the DS ones (they are a part of discussion... i accept, they are fine zeldas, but i did not like the artstyle (love WW...), presentation, designes, it all fellt way below WW. And the controlls where...not that fun.
The last before that was Minish Cap 2004.

Having a good fresh 2D zelda like experience every 3-4 years would be ideal for me.... but oh well.

And im really curious whats up with that manual.

There's certainly some Zelda in it. But, at least for me, it had enough originality and cleverness in its bones to blow me away completely. So in a way, I think it feels like its own thing.

To be honest, even if it would be "to on the nose" and just a indie zelda... if it would be just an really good indie zelda i already would be in.
Think about it, the last NEW Singleplayer 2D zelda was 2013... its not like those are a big priority for nintendo anymore.
And even that leaned heavily on an existing one...
Before that we had the DS ones (they are a part of discussion... i accept, they are fine zeldas, but i did not like the artstyle (love WW...), presentation, designes, it all fellt way below WW. And the controlls where...not that fun.
The last before that was Minish Cap 2004.

Having a good fresh 2D zelda like experience every 3-4 years would be ideal for me.... but oh well.

And im really curious whats up with that manual.
I think your curiosity will definitely be slaked with the game! Like @Earthbounder said there's definitely some Zelda in there and then plenty of doing its own thing. I was looking for a solid Zelda-like and came away really happy with how it explores and diverges from the Zelda tropes. 😄

I was going to pick this up on the Switch but I’m going to wait for reviews to see how it pans out in terms of performance. It’s more ideal on Switch but if it runs poorly I’ll opt for PS5.

Weird question for those who have played both games....

Death's Door or Tunic?
Tunic for me. It held my attention even if the boss battles are extremely hard and unbalanced (you can just turn on invincibility mode if you don't wanna bother). But the world building, manual mechanics, discovery and puzzle elements were super rewarding.

Death's Door was neat but I just stopped playing after a few levels.

Last edited:

Death's Door or Tunic?
Another vote for Tunic.

Death's Door is a nice indie game. Tunic is one of the best ever.

Both have touches of Zelda and Dark Souls, but I feel that where Death's Door simply mixes both gameplay styles while not truly excelling in any of them, even if what it does is very competent, Tunic is far more clever. Its puzzles are thoroughly original on account of something I won't mention because of how spoilery it is, and I also felt its level design and battles were more engaging.

Death's Door or Tunic?
having played both I have to say I enjoyed Tunic a lot more even tho I am not the biggest fan of both games.

Never heard of deaths door? This a new game similar to 2d zelda?
It's not so new. It's an indie game that came out last year, and it does have some Zelda elements, but I wouldn't compare it too directly with 2D Zelda games as it also heavily drinks from Dark Souls. So although it has some dungeons with light puzzles, I feel it has a bigger focus on surviving sequences of enemy encounters in order to get to the next checkpoint or open a shortcut.

Weird. Isn't the game supposed to launch today? I bought it, but the Switch doesn't let me play yet. It's 12:16PM here already

Watched the NWR review... graphics/performance talk starts around 6:30 in. Very Impressed with graphics ...30 fps dock and handheld. Slightly long loading times. "Nothing to fear....runs like a charm."

The NL review mentions some random freezes/hitches in boss fights, which, according to them, didn't bring down the experience, though.

Haven't seen any other reports on potential performance issues thus far.

Like @Nabbit said, I fully endorse this game. Sounds like the Switch port is solid based on the YouTube videos. I’m hoping DF does a tech analysis too.

It’s easily my GOTY for 2022 so far, and I doubt anything will surpass it. I’ll definitely buy the Switch version but trying to wait for a sale since I already played it and will buy a physical copy too if they make one. But now I’m itching to complete the stuff I missed and it would be so much nicer to be able to do that on Switch….

What, this game is already out?! I was somehow stuck with the impression that it's still months off from the initial PlayStation reveal, so this came as a complete surprise. Based on the NWR review, the handheld Switch performance seems to be alright, so I'll definitely get the Switch version.

Very excited to start this, once I finish the Splatoon 3 story. :) Been quite a few busy days, so I haven’t been able to do much, and once I’m done with that I’m starting this! Very excited.

Really enjoying this so far. I already went with the new "reduced" combat difficulty, which I'm glad is an option. I may bump it up once I figure more things out - I'm trying not to look any tips or anything up for this one.

Pretty keen to check this one out. Randomly played the original Zelda years ago in college (pre-BotW) and was surprised by how unique it still was compared to the rest of the series. Obviously BotW aped it’s style a bit but it’s also a totally different thing what with its third dimension and all. There is definitely a Zelda 1 well that deserves to be explored further.

Looking forward to reading everyone's impressions! Please use the spoiler tags, since the game is all about discovery.

I watched a comparison video and is it just me or does the game look better on the Switch?

I mean I know it's 30fps and much lower resolution but they seemed to have applied some post processing effects that make the game look dreamlike. There's a lot of blur and bloom but I think I dig it, especially when put side to side to the other versions which look too clean and less artistic in comparison.

About to start this after I make some mac n cheese. What a relaxing night. Food, Tunic, and a fucking hurricane outside my window. It's gonna be fun!

About to start this after I make some mac n cheese. What a relaxing night. Food, Tunic, and a fucking hurricane outside my window. It's gonna be fun!
Stay careful out there! That sounds like an epic Wednesday evening though.

This is what the Link’s Awakening remake should have looked like
Playing it right now and... it already kind of does? The environment's more abstract in Tunic and it's isometric, but comparing the two side-by-side they strike me as similar in vibe.

Back
Top Bottom