• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic TUNIC |ST| 🦊 🗡️🛡️ | Manual Transmission | Please Tag Spoilers! |

Started this last night, made it up to the first bell—loving it so far, it makes a great first impression. I love how tactile everything in the world feels (especially chopping trees) and the unexpectedly flashy visual effects in certain sequences, really beautiful. The booklet pages are like the best collectible I’ve seen in a game in recent memory.

I noticed a slightly jarring lighting glitch whenever loading into a new area, but it otherwise looks pretty great on Switch. Psyched to play more!

lmao….playing this on a largish TV in a fairly dark room and the enormous shopkeeper in the windmill emerging from the void completely scared the hell out of me, haven’t had a stomach-dropping feeling like that from a non-horror game in a long time

This is something that is taken from the Souls games that I will never understand. You are actively punished for trying items out and then failing. No reason to not just load a previous save like you said except to make things even harder. (This is me mostly criticizing the Souls games, I am only a little bit into Tunic and am playing in damage-less mode or whatever it is called)
The comparisons with Souls games is actually what turned me off from the initial praise and why I waited to play until I heard there was a damage-less mode. The current gluttony for punishment obsession (especially having grown up playing miserable NES games where this was the norm) has zero appeal to me.

20 hours in and this would easily be my GOTY if not for Xenoblade 3 and Triangle Strategy. Also, the loss of consumable items is less of an issue than first appears, but has more of an impact early in the game when you're weaker. The game is mostly forgiving with save point locations (saving you the need to walk far) and map features you unlock stay unlocked after death (e.g. if you lower a bridge for a shortcut it's permanently lowered). Looking back, if you're getting killed very quickly in an area, there's probably something hidden you should have to make it far more manageable.

So I beat the heir, credits rolled, was told I have two pages left. I left the game but now I’m thinking I’ll look up those two and revisit the heir battle.

Am I correct here:

-ending A is beat the heir
-ending B from reading this thread is apparently obtained by revisiting the heir once you have all pages
-am I right that the true ending is a separate third ending, related to the mountain door, golden path, etc? Obviously ending B is ‘on the way’ but the true ending is a third ending, yeah?

So I beat the heir, credits rolled, was told I have two pages left. I left the game but now I’m thinking I’ll look up those two and revisit the heir battle.

Am I correct here:

-ending A is beat the heir
-ending B from reading this thread is apparently obtained by revisiting the heir once you have all pages
-am I right that the true ending is a separate third ending, related to the mountain door, golden path, etc? Obviously ending B is ‘on the way’ but the true ending is a third ending, yeah?
-yes
-yes
-no, there are only 2

I encourage you to try to find those pages and the other secrets if you feel inclined 😄 it may be more satisfying that way 🦊

figured out what the holy cross is tonight—amazing
hidden mechanics that are available from the start but invisible until you know about them are among my favorite tricks that games can pull and this is the second time this game has done it! (holding the A button without pushing in a direction being the other one). the fact that this "holy cross" that's been hyped mysteriously and extensively in the manual is literally the controller d-pad is so good

i knew there was some more puzzley layer of secrets in this game but not exactly what form they'd take, and i'm very into it so far. pretty great variety in the half dozen or so i've solved already & some latent skills from playing The Witness 5 years ago have already come in handy

i haven't played a ton of new stuff this year but this is quite comfortably my fav of 2022

figured out what the holy cross is tonight—amazing
hidden mechanics that are available from the start but invisible until you know about them are among my favorite tricks that games can pull and this is the second time this game has done it! (holding the A button without pushing in a direction being the other one). the fact that this "holy cross" that's been hyped mysteriously and extensively in the manual is literally the controller d-pad is so good

i knew there was some more puzzley layer of secrets in this game but not exactly what form they'd take, and i'm very into it so far. pretty great variety in the half dozen or so i've solved already & some latent skills from playing The Witness 5 years ago have already come in handy

i haven't played a ton of new stuff this year but this is quite comfortably my fav of 2022
Working out those secrets was such a good feeling of ohhhhhhh. It was such an incredible experience.

finished the second ending today—I played the whole thing with my partner so much of it was a team effort, but we managed to only need to look up a hint on one thing, which felt pretty great
which was where one of the two East Forest fairies was—as it turns out, the puzzle itself is only visible at night with no indication to that. I think that's the only one like that and we still worked out the puzzle itself without help so I don't feel too bad about that particular bit of "cheating"

anyway I loved it! some of the puzzles are basically identical to each other and you could have some minor gripes about how they're implemented (the door in the mountains in particular is maybe too tricky without any feedback—no way to know where or if you missed an input or need to redraw your map or anything; when it actually accepted the inputs from my initial drawing on the fourth try I was pretty shocked lol), but in all other respects this is an incredibly tightly-designed and smart game. I love how much it respects your intelligence without ever being totally opaque or hostile, and how much mileage it gets out of each area and mechanic. I feel like its framing as an "indie Zelda knockoff" works perfectly: players expecting certain Zelda elements will find them and more easily stumble on certain secrets, but those expectations are also gently subverted or surpassed, in its puzzles, its small narrative, how the quest for its macguffins ends up playing out. I hope this continues to reach a bigger audience because I really think fans of games like Outer Wilds or The Witness or even stuff like Obra Dinn would love what this game is doing even from the beginning, and the layers underneath are even more interesting

still got a few secrets to find—we found the illustration on the bottom of the developer note, but I have no idea what to do with that without translating the language, and there was at least one path drawing in the manual that I don't think we used anywhere. plus I never found anywhere that the hourglass helped out with (unless it really is just supposed to help with combat) and there are I think four more of those golden collectibles. translating the language might be beyond me, but I love that its sort of a bonus objective outside of what you'll actually need to finish the game
oh and also I apparently missed a ton of power-up items? if you can really get everything up to level 8 then we are apparently missing twelve, which seems completely implausible considering how much corner-scouring of every area we already did lol, but maybe they're all out there somewhere

I have reached the point in the game where
I run around as a ghost.

Is it normal that
I don't have access to my boosts (HP etc) anymore? All meters look like there have reverted back to the defaults again.

I have reached the point in the game where
I run around as a ghost.

Is it normal that
I don't have access to my boosts (HP etc) anymore? All meters look like there have reverted back to the defaults again.
Yes.
You now need to get them back.

Alright collectors, our patience has paid off! Tunic is getting a physical release for Switch and PS4!

$45+ $4 shipping in the US. Shipping in July

Alright collectors, our patience has paid off! Tunic is getting a physical release for Switch and PS4!

Been WAITING for this one!!!!

📣

plus a standalone hardcover version of the manual (they note that the one that actually comes with the game is spoiler-free), very cool:

plus a standalone hardcover version of the manual (they note that the one that actually comes with the game is spoiler-free), very cool:
Yeah it's going to take a lot to hold off on this one!

Surprisingly reasonable for (slow) international shipping too, at $5.68; $60 total when taxes are added. I'm very tempted...

I wish Fangamer EU wasnt curated to the point where it's almost just a skeleton of what the regular website is.
They will stock the instruction book but not the game lol.

With customs and duty it'll probably land around ~75$ for me for just the game and that's just too much.

Last edited:
Honestly, it feels like that size might be a bit excessive.
Good point about the size. I hadn't paid close attention to that. I think I might prefer the regular size but... Man, it's so pretty. I dunno!

I ended up ordering both 😭. And I got my huggable Fox plush last week 🦊!

Rad! My pre-there-being-an-official Tunic 🦊 is hanging out in our closet, considering secret legends to embark on next. 🗡️

I know I'm late to the party but I kind-of impulse purchased this seeing the physical version at my local Gamestop and played it all weekend, it's really excellent. I held off initially after hearing the 'Souls-like' comparisons but I guess I'm just better at isometric games, it's challenging but I don't have as much trouble as Souls games.

Starts off seeming very straight-forward but some of the areas I'm getting to now are crazy, great scale and art design. It's just superb. Can't wait to play more!

I know I'm late to the party but I kind-of impulse purchased this seeing the physical version at my local Gamestop and played it all weekend, it's really excellent. I held off initially after hearing the 'Souls-like' comparisons but I guess I'm just better at isometric games, it's challenging but I don't have as much trouble as Souls games.

Starts off seeming very straight-forward but some of the areas I'm getting to now are crazy, great scale and art design. It's just superb. Can't wait to play more!
Warms my heart to read this! Can you describe where you are in the game using only emojis? It's thread tradition! 🦊

I know I'm late to the party but I kind-of impulse purchased this seeing the physical version at my local Gamestop and played it all weekend, it's really excellent.
Oh, wow, I completely forgot this release was already out. I should probably not track this down, but I need to track this down.

Thanks for the reminder!

Having this pop back up reminded me how great the soundtrack is in this, I still listen to it every so often as it’s really chill and brings good vibes.

I never loved the actual game as much as I thought I would for some reason, I do intend to replay it one day and maybe a second play through will benefit me

Having this pop back up reminded me how great the soundtrack is in this, I still listen to it every so often as it’s really chill and brings good vibes.

I never loved the actual game as much as I thought I would for some reason, I do intend to replay it one day and maybe a second play through will benefit me

The combat can be a little jank I find, the game as a whole succeeds best when it's not trying to be too demanding of the player combat-wise. To that end I've found the boss fights to be a little frustrating, and even some of the regular encounters now are starting to be a bit much, but I'm pushing. The soundtrack, art design, and exploration are all top notch though. I love the little shortcuts you'll find that were hidden in the isometric world right in front of you the entire time. And the instruction manual pages are a genius addition.

I'd like to use this opportunity to state once more that Tunic is one of the best games of all time. Get it if you haven't already, folks.

Thanks for your attention.

I'd like to use this opportunity to state once more that Tunic is one of the best games of all time. Get it if you haven't already, folks.

Thanks for your attention.
Played it on Gamepass and it really was incredible. One of the best game soundtracks ever. Loved every minute of it.

I will try - my journey has gone like this: 🦊⚔️🔔🏡🏮🔔🦀🐸📖🟢🟪🪨🤿👻🕷️👿🔵

I imagine you’d have to be pretty familiar with the game for this to make sense lol
That makes perfect sense! Well done, lol, exemplary emoji use. You're very far into the main game. I hope you are able to avoid spoilers for some or all of the secrets in the game. I felt like that was more important to the experience of this game than nearly any other I've ever played. We spent countless hours pouring through the world and its complex crevices, and it's a treasured memory now. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences with the rest of the game.

+1 for the OST, it's one of my faves and it's joined the rotation for work background music.

Bonus interview about the making of the OST, no real spoilers:

That makes perfect sense! Well done, lol, exemplary emoji use. You're very far into the main game. I hope you are able to avoid spoilers for some or all of the secrets in the game. I felt like that was more important to the experience of this game than nearly any other I've ever played. We spent countless hours pouring through the world and its complex crevices, and it's a treasured memory now. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences with the rest of the game.

+1 for the OST, it's one of my faves and it's joined the rotation for work background music.

Bonus interview about the making of the OST, no real spoilers:

I really knew basically nothing about it aside from the glowing reviews at release, having Souls-y elements, and watching a couple trailers. I was already quite surprised to have it take an abrupt spooky sci-fi turn for the last major section I did!

I did discover the next major area pretty quickly (the picture of the 'Eastern Fortress' in the manual having a red gem tipped me off to look in the East...) and saved and stopped right at the start of it. Probably heading in tonight...

I was also turned off from the Souls comparisons, but the second I learned you can turn damage off I was willing to try it out. It's very forgiving and so you can focus on the incredible puzzles. Definitely one of my favorite games ever.

I didn't have much time to play last night but still managed to make this progress:

🌲🏰🔴

Mostly in part to this area's enemies and boss being much easier than the previous one, and even the one before -- I think I was probably supposed to go here first, lol. Oh well, it was a nice change of pace after beating my head against the wall on a previous boss.

Now I have: 🔴🟢🔵 and am ready to see what happens with all of those TONIGHT.

So I noticed this game was updated at least once on the Switch since I got stuck. If people remember the game kept spawning double the amount of enemies than there was supposed to be so I could not continue. Did the update fix any major bugs and I can head back again?

So my physical edition came in a couple weeks ago. The problem is that it looks so beautiful sealed, almost like I own a brand new NES game. I can't pull myself to open it.

Yes, I have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom