• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic TUNIC |ST| 🦊 🗡️🛡️ | Manual Transmission | Please Tag Spoilers! |

Nabbit

Heading to Lorule? Rent your equipment here!
Now that the game is out, since discussion seems to be focused ITT, I'm gonna make this the ST by default.

Platforms: PC and Xbox Game Pass, Steam, Xbox, Switch, PS4/5

Reviews: https://opencritic.com/game/12888/tunic

What is it? Vulpine Zelda-like rife with secrets. The less you know going in, the better. The game will slowly unfold its content to you.

How much is it? Included with Game Pass, $25 otherwise.

Spoilers? Please tag impressions and outright spoilers to keep the experience fresh for everyone.

Pre-release OP from 2021:

Anyone else mega hyped for Tunic?

I'm still hoping it somehow releases this year. I thought we were getting pretty close to a release date but it's been radio silence for a month or two. I'm hoping a last minute Christmas release is still in the cards.

I'm linking a great interview where creator Andrew Shouldice gives some intriguing insights into the development of the game:

A memorable trailer:

Demo footage:

I'd love to hear about others' experience with the demo. I really enjoyed my time with it but I did find it to be incredibly tough. I hope the final game is a little more forgiving. The sense of adventure is ever-present though and the way the game hints at its secrets is engaging and tantalizing.

Last edited:
The demo was brutal but fun. It’s a definite download whenever it finally does arrive. Was its release on GamePass confirmed?

The demo was brutal but fun. It’s a definite download whenever it finally does arrive. Was its release on GamePass confirmed?
Nope, I think this one is specifically not coming to Game Pass. At least as far as we know. Probably the first fully priced purchase I've made on Xbox in years.

Demo available on Xbox again

The Tunic demo is back up for the Xbox Winter Game Fest. If you have an Xbox, I hope you try it and post your impressions here, especially if you are @Tailzo, @Lozjam or @Pineapple Pizza.

The Tunic demo is back up for the Xbox Winter Game Fest. If you have an Xbox, I hope you try it and post your impressions here, especially if you are @Tailzo, @Lozjam or @Pineapple Pizza.
I’m still in Spain, but I’m very interested to check it out asap when I get home to Norway :) Thanks for the mention :)

I was super excited about this game, but the demo kind of put me off. The game felt kind of sterile/bland after 10 or so minutes, and while combat against smaller enemies was fine, fighting a specific larger skeleton enemy didn't feel great. Hard to recall specifically why (could very well have been a 'me' problem), but I tried it twice and never went back.

Looking forward to some final reviews/impressions.

I’m still in Spain, but I’m very interested to check it out asap when I get home to Norway :) Thanks for the mention :)
You got it! Enjoy you time in Spain and stay safe, friend.

I was super excited about this game, but the demo kind of put me off. The game felt kind of sterile/bland after 10 or so minutes, and while combat against smaller enemies was fine, fighting a specific larger skeleton enemy didn't feel great. Hard to recall specifically why (could very well have been a 'me' problem), but I tried it twice and never went back.

Looking forward to some final reviews/impressions.

I feel you. It had a surprisingly steep learning curve and the mechanics are somewhat hidden from the player. There are some neat hidden secrets, discoveries and just an interesting progression through the mini-dungeon as you explore different books and crannies. It definitely took some time for me to even get into a barely groove with it. I enjoyed it a lot, but I do hope the final game is a little less challenging or has some accessibility/difficulty options

I'll make sure to check it out pretty soon! Lol

I haven't got an Xbox quite yet! I have to say the game does look absolutely adorable. 🦊 Link!

I've spent the last two days off playing Ys VIII in between basic life stuff like eating and breathing and occasional trips to the toilet. 😅

I haven't got an Xbox quite yet! I have to say the game does look absolutely adorable. 🦊 Link!

I've spent the last two days off playing Ys VIII in between basic life stuff like eating and breathing and occasional trips to the toilet. 😅
Those are all important things to do, even the toilet! I agree, the game is absolutely lovely looking, it looks really nice in motion IRL, too. The fox design is super cute and charming.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Since I now own a Series S, I can finally try this game out!

At this point I try to not even think about this game until it’s actually out. I was hyped three years ago when it was at E3. Now I’m just sad about it.

The demo was quite good. It's a nice mix of traditional, top-down Zelda and the stamina based combat of Dark Souls. Great visuals and soundtrack too. And it runs at a silky smooth 60fps on Series S. I'll definitely check out the game once it's released.

@Nabbit I was able to try it 10 minutes with my daughter, or more like me 3 minutes and then she was wandering around most of the time left. I love the low poly look and the framerate is perfect. It was too hard for us though. So despite a ton of charm, it’s not on my buy-list.

At this point I try to not even think about this game until it’s actually out. I was hyped three years ago when it was at E3. Now I’m just sad about it.
I feel you. It's been on my Games spreadsheet since it was first announced and that was the first year I used a spreadsheet to track games I'm interested in. I'm really hoping it'll turn out wonderfully and be fully worth the wait.

The demo was quite good. It's a nice mix of traditional, top-down Zelda and the stamina based combat of Dark Souls. Great visuals and soundtrack too. And it runs at a silky smooth 60fps on Series S. I'll definitely check out the game once it's released.

Is it 60 fps on Xbox One? If not, this may be one incentive for a Series S. It seems like a game that would benefit from it tremendously in terms of the combat. Anyway, really glad you enjoyed it. How cool was that in-game manual??

@Nabbit I was able to try it 10 minutes with my daughter, or more like me 3 minutes and then she was wandering around most of the time left. I love the low poly look and the framerate is perfect. It was too hard for us though. So despite a ton of charm, it’s not on my buy-list.

Aw, I feel you and I appreciate you posting your impressions. This is exactly why I hope the final product has difficulty and accessibility options. I wonder if it would most benefit from a Mario Odyssey-style assist mode where it draws paths to keep players pointed in the right direction (and combat alterations would be a must there, too).

I feel you. It's been on my Games spreadsheet since it was first announced and that was the first year I used a spreadsheet to track games I'm interested in. I'm really hoping it'll turn out wonderfully and be fully worth the wait.

Is it 60 fps on Xbox One? If not, this may be one incentive for a Series S. It seems like a game that would benefit from it tremendously in terms of the combat. Anyway, really glad you enjoyed it. How cool was that in-game manual??

Aw, I feel you and I appreciate you posting your impressions. This is exactly why I hope the final product has difficulty and accessibility options. I wonder if it would most benefit from a Mario Odyssey-style assist mode where it draws paths to keep players pointed in the right direction (and combat alterations would be a must there, too).
The look of the main character combined with the almost story-book like world (in low poly) makes the game so exciting for my kids. But being really hard it hard for two young girls (and a tired dad) to enjoy. So despite all the souls games staying away from difficulty or accessibility options, I hope Tunic does implement something like you suggested.

I can see it could be an enjoable adventure to go through as a family.

The look of the main character combined with the almost story-book like world (in low poly) makes the game so exciting for my kids. But being really hard it hard for two young girls (and a tired dad) to enjoy. So despite all the souls games staying away from difficulty or accessibility options, I hope Tunic does implement something like you suggested.

I can see it could be an enjoable adventure to go through as a family.
I feel you, friend. It's this family friendly quality I'm often looking for in games to enjoy. Like Wuppo for example, and Yoku's Island Express and Snake Pass, these are the Nintendo or Sega-like family friendly fare that poses difficulty but also robust options for all ages accessibility, wrapped up in a cozy package without feeling dumbed down or aimed only to small children. That's what I'm looking for in indies.

TGA Release Date Trailer
At TGA, the game was announced for a 3/16 release date!

A new trailer was shown, too.

I feel you, friend. It's this family friendly quality I'm often looking for in games to enjoy. Like Wuppo for example, and Yoku's Island Express and Snake Pass, these are the Nintendo or Sega-like family friendly fare that poses difficulty but also robust options for all ages accessibility, wrapped up in a cozy package without feeling dumbed down or aimed only to small children. That's what I'm looking for in indies.
Yoku’s island express should be played by more people. I loved it. Maybe an interesting thread would be «What kind of game are you looking for, but feel there aren’t enough of?»

My answer would be what we’re describing here. Sometimes games will look super charming, but be too hard for a kid. Sometimes I would guess my daughter could gandle the controls, but the game is about murdering as many as possible.

Cross-posting this brilliant thought from @Super Nintendad that Tunic could come to Switch!
Yeah! I was thinking the same thing. Death's Door, Twelve Minutes, and now The Artful Escape have been 4 months after release on xbox. So if we go by that logic Moonglow Bay Could be the end of February or March, but they are also working on updating the game because of complaints at launch. So that might be a bit behind, but Sable should be free to go in any day now too. Fingers Crossed this means 4 months for Nobody Saves the World and Tunic as well.
It would be crazy (and awesome) to see Tunic leave Xbox after years of Xbox promotion. I thought it had exclusivity but that was probably my own assumption.

Edit: oh wow launch exclusive only indeed..the game will get so much more attention on Switch if it turns out well.

In two days, the game will for real be out.

I'm really curious when reviews will drop and how the game turned out! I'd also like to know the price!

Definitely interesting that its releasing on Mac, but might wait for it on Switch/PS over my Macbook Pro

It's crazy how much it looks like Death's Door from a visual standpoint.
Indeed! No blood though - I think that's why I skipped that one, a bit too violent-looking for me. Loving that isometric games are making such a comeback though.

Indeed! No blood though - I think that's why I skipped that one, a bit too violent-looking for me. Loving that isometric games are making such a comeback though.

Blood/no blood is an option in Death’s Door, accessible from the start.

Blood/no blood is an option in Death’s Door, accessible from the start.
Thanks for sharing! I think I did read that, but it still was a turn off for me personally that the game by default has blood. Just not my wavelength of that makes sense.

How much are y'all expecting the game to cost? I'm thinking around $25...

Based on a post on another forum, it appears the review embargo may not be ending until March 16th (I previously posted the exact time but the person who gave me that information asked me to remove it so I've now removed it to follow their request).

I'm kinda surprised the game will come out on March 16th with an as-yet unknown price and with reviews not yet known till after release.

On the bright side, the person who revealed the embargo time indicated the game turned out well.

And personally, I won't be able to play it until Wednesday afternoon anyway. But I would like to know how it turned out ASAP, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks! Praying every day that nintendo ressurects the series.

Also perfect, just another reason to give them some cash. Hope it sells well!
One day we'll get our M&L successor! In the meantime, speaking of indies, don't miss out on Bug Fables and UnderHero if you haven't already played them - two splendid Mario RPG-esque games.

I just woke up and thought to myself, today's the day. I've been looking forward to this for almost five years. I just set up my Series S yesterday and this will be the first game I play on it (unless reviews are completely terrible which I don't expect)? Can't wait. Happy Tunic day all! 🦊🗡️

There was a tweet about surprise Game Pass drops today, so people are wondering if that means Tunic. Just recently Tunic was specifically noted by the devs not to be coming to Game Pass, but it's possible things came together for a GP release last minute. That said my gut feeling is it won't be a GP game. Excited to find out in under two hours, but even more excited to see those reviews!!!

Seems like my gut feeling as often is the case is being affected by my IBS 😆

FN-oYKJXIAosDlf.jpeg

Hopefully this is real!

Seems like my gut feeling as often is the case is being affected by my IBS 😆

FN-oYKJXIAosDlf.jpeg

Hopefully this is real!
Huh! That’s interesting, like you said they came right out and said that it wasn’t hitting GP. There’s always time for a hot business deal though. 😯

Yeah there is. I'm still slightly in doubt!
Wait.. there's an indie showcase today too 🤔

EDIT:
"For some extra fun, be sure to tune into the /ID@Xbox Showcase tomorrow, March 16 at 10:00 a.m. PDT for more awesome news and interviews from our friends at ID@Xbox. Who knows, there may or not be some surprises for Game Pass members (you know I'm writing this for a reason)."

Last edited:
Honestly given that the listing still has no price and plus that image leak, I think we're gonna get it! I'm going to hold off on buying if so, and like Death's Door will grab on Switch once the GP deal expires if the eventual port is good.

Oh yeah I'm intrigued about the indie showcase for sure, and looking forward to whichever other cool surprises we get there. I think it's just the recent GP deconfirmation and the odd lack of storefront prices/pages (like on Steam) that's keeping me a tiny bit skeptical.

It's out, and on Game Pass! Lmao beat the stream announcement to the punch. Let's get a threadmark and title update to get people's eyes on this!

Reviews

Back
Top Bottom