• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Triangle Strategy |ST| Romance of the Three Angles [NSW|PC]

Choose your conviction!

• Utility

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Morality

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Liberty

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • One does not simply choose a conviction.

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters
Technically just trying and failing/restarting a story battle also gives xp, and the game has a rubberbanding effect where being underleveled vastly increases xp gain. You really shouldn't need to grind that much if at all
I messed up the last big battle I was on where I won with 3 units alive so hardly anyone got exp, and then due to story reasons I lost one of my best units so I'm in a weird situation atm training up people I didn't use much/trying to unlock better weapons for them.

I finally beat the game, let's goooo! I got the Benedict ending, but to me it's the Golden Ending since
Gustadolph lives and he's legit my favourite character

I also was cracking up at the end when Roland
paints himself as the saviour of the downtrodden when he himself was OK with mass Roselle genocide. OK dude. I think he is the character my feelings turned around on the worst because I really liked him for 2/3 of the game

I just got one of the endings (I don’t know which one really, the one where the last battle was on the waterfalls) and now I’m on the new game+ trying to get the other endings. I have a couple of questions:

• The game told me that I can see the characters missing and what attributes I need to get for them to join me. Where I can see this?
  • Just the first battle in the new game+ (the one in the port) on hard and I’m getting my ass beaten spectacularly (level 35). Roland gets half of its HP removed from the arrow before starting the combat and the enemies deal a really huge amount of “pain” with their attacks. I don’t think levelling up my units will better anything and I don’t remember having such a huge difficult spike on my first run (also on hard). Am I doing something wrong? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

I just got one of the endings (I don’t know which one really, the one where the last battle was on the waterfalls) and now I’m on the new game+ trying to get the other endings. I have a couple of questions:

• The game told me that I can see the characters missing and what attributes I need to get for them to join me. Where I can see this?
  • Just the first battle in the new game+ (the one in the port) on hard and I’m getting my ass beaten spectacularly (level 35). Roland gets half of its HP removed from the arrow before starting the combat and the enemies deal a really huge amount of “pain” with their attacks. I don’t think levelling up my units will better anything and I don’t remember having such a huge difficult spike on my first run (also on hard). Am I doing something wrong? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
The option to look at your Conviction Points plus how many of them you need for each character becomes available after you beat Chapter 5 on NG+, I believe.

As for the difficulty of NG+, yeah, it's quite something! I don't have any tips, sorry. I actually gave up on it and did the Golden Route on a regular file. :p

I wrote a few paragraphs about my trials and errors with that mission in an earlier post, but success basically came down to three realizations:

• Serenoa needs rez ring and rez spells on him. Your group falls apart without his damage and tanking.
  • Roland has to kite around the two melee enemies at the top, and ideally distract Trish, too. He can kite towards the upper left, then ride through opponents when they close in and run towards the ride-hand side, while getting in safe chip damage here and there.
  • Everyone on the bottom has to huddle up underneath the end of the pier, with Serenoa and Benedict taking the outer positions, Frederica and Geela in the middle.

It'll still require some luck so things go your way at critical moments. Don't hesitate to use items if that increases your odds of success. Should you end up losing anyway, spent ressources will be restored, so you never waste anything.

Thanks in advance!
There's level scaling in the game that's based on your highest level character. In which case, if only one of your characters is at 35 and the rest are lower, you're gonna get worked.

Also, I found Roland to be both too squishy and too weak to be useful through both my first run and the NG+ run (both normal difficulty). People swear by him, but I'd recommend using literally anyone else.

The option to look at your Conviction Points plus how many of them you need for each character becomes available after you beat Chapter 5 on NG+, I believe.

As for the difficulty of NG+, yeah, it's quite something! I don't have any tips, sorry. I actually gave up on it and did the Golden Route on a regular file. :p

Thanks for the conviction points explanation. I was getting crazy trying to search it in the menus.

I wrote a few paragraphs about my trials and errors with that mission in an earlier post, but success basically came down to three realizations:

• Serenoa needs rez ring and rez spells on him. Your group falls apart without his damage and tanking.
  • Roland has to kite around the two melee enemies at the top, and ideally distract Trish, too. He can kite towards the upper left, then ride through opponents when they close in and run towards the ride-hand side, while getting in safe chip damage here and there.
  • Everyone on the bottom has to huddle up underneath the end of the pier, with Serenoa and Benedict taking the outer positions, Frederica and Geela in the middle.

It'll still require some luck so things go your way at critical moments. Don't hesitate to use items if that increases your odds of success. Should you end up losing anyway, spent ressources will be restored, so you never waste anything.

That’s really good advice, many thanks! I’m just on vacation right now but when I come back I’ll try it again following your points :D

There's level scaling in the game that's based on your highest level character. In which case, if only one of your characters is at 35 and the rest are lower, you're gonna get worked.

Also, I found Roland to be both too squishy and too weak to be useful through both my first run and the NG+ run (both normal difficulty). People swear by him, but I'd recommend using literally anyone else.

Yep, I think my Serinoa is level 36 but the rest of team is between 30 and 35. And yes again, I don’t like Roland but he is mandatory in the first battle (and with half the HP before starting).

Thanks for the conviction points explanation. I was getting crazy trying to search it in the menus.
Btw, I did the exact same thing and was so confused. I went into NG+ like "now I'll figure out who I can recruit!" and it seemed like it took so long for that information to appear.

Followed your tips and I beat it on my third attempt! But with only 2 survivors (one of them a level 37 Serinoa). Thanks again!

What are you doing to get all the endings? Playing the new game+ from the beginning each time? I’m doing this for the golden route now but for the other 2 endings I’m missing (Benedict and Roland) I don’t know if I’ll play the game from the very beginning even with the fast forward action.

Curious if we have gotten any sales update, preferably worldwide numbers from SE's financials. I know Nintendo hasn't provided anything last time around.

Coming up on the final mission of Frederica's route! I just couldn't abide doing either of the others, even though I'm still feeling troubled by this ending...It still feels like the LEAST bad option. It is interesting that its almost the most nihilistic one, just taking the Roselle and giving up on Norzelia entirely, yet hopeful. It has some real DS3-End-Of-Fire vibes? As a Tactics fan it has been INCREDIBLY satisfying on the gameplay front! I'm excited to play the Golden Route and see the units I missed next time around. (Also Anna is GOATed, but I'm sure everyone agrees on that.)

I bought it because I found the physical edition on sale and... this is pretty great?

I started playing it on hard mode and it is VERY challenging (in fact, I lost the first battle twice), to the point where you really need to think some maps as puzzles and "cheese" them in some way. Despite that, the systems in the game seem really well thought: you can't overlevel because the game stop giving you meaningful exp. points after you are over the recommended level for the map but at the same time you can't be under leveled because the game gives you ton of experience for every move if you are under the recommended level.
Also, you keeping the gained experience even if you are defeated, makes it not as bad to replay the maps because you are not penalized for it. Expending that much time trying to overcome a difficult battle, also helps enjoy more the long dialogue sections; even when it's too much for my liking and they are well enough written. And to top it, the game looks great: from the pure in-game graphis to the UI which is pleasantly clean with those gorgeous portraits.

So, yeah... a positive surprise. I am liking it way more than Three Houses in fact.

Last edited:
I bought it because I found the physical edition on sale and... this is pretty great?
alwayshasbeen.jpeg

Always nice to see more people getting into it. Unless Bayo 3 is absolutely stellar, this will remain my GotY.

The limited edition was discounted at my games shop so I took that as an opportunity to finally get this! I'm only a couple hours in, but the first major decision already made me sweat, because despite everyone in the game saying "don't worry, there's no huge consequences to this one", I don't trust them.

I'm looking forward to completely bungling my way through both the politics and the tactics.

So, I progressed a bit more and I find myself just after completing the bridge fight in Chapter VI.

I am playing on hard mode and enjoying it quite a bit. The art style is great, the story is fine so far even if not too much happened for how long it took to be told, and the gameplay mechanichs are pretty great even if I believe the whole experience would benefict a lot if the maps had more interativity for you to play with.

The game seems to make a big deal at the beggining of the water/fire/ice mechanics so you can take advange of them. However, most maps I played didn't have what was needed to put these mechanics to the test. Even then, when I achieved to place three enemies on a water puddle and I told myself: yeah, now I am going to use that electric stone I bought to finish them off... ,the result, for how hard it was for enemies to be in that perfect position, was really underwhelming. I mean, I could have made more damage with a standard Frederica fire attack to all three (?).

I think Triangle Strategy would be even better if it took some pages from the Divinity Original Sin series book: the way you can play with the maps there to outpower your enemies even when you are outnumbered and they are toughter, makes you feel "smart" in a really rewarding way. For now, in my playtime, most fights were won taking a "cautious" approach and not so much thinking "out of the box" how sometimes happens in Divinity Original Sin, where these situations are highly rewarded with big damage inflicted and sometimes even instant deaths.

However, I want to applaud how well thought and user friendly some features are in Triangle Strategy: EXP is saved even if you lose your battles and your items are given back to you so you don't need to farm them, your party gains levelling points really fast if they are underlevelled and you have a long timeline that specifies the movement order of all the units so you plan way ahead your tactics. This is all great and didn't expect the game to be this polished in this regard for the first entry in the series. It's clear the devs behind it have some experience in the genre.

Last edited:
Progressing a bit more, already on chapter 12... and yeah, this game is amazingly good. If you happen to like SRPGs, just go for it, you won't regret the decision.

Character design, from art to abilities is great, each one feel pretty unique and their progression is more restricted than Fire Emblem games for exemple. This could be a bad thing for some people, but also allows for better map design since the developers know what tools the player has at their disposal and helps creating more tight and interesting maps.

For exemple, there is a character than can place traps as well as build ladders for your units. At first I thought it was one of the worst in the game so I didn't give him much attention. However, there was a map where a ladder would help me a lot because enemies had the height advantage and their archers would destroy me. I took him to that map, and thanks to the generoues EXP system if you are underlevel, and thanks to the amazing QOL feature of saving your EXP even if you are defeated in the map, I got him at my party level in just two tries. As I supossed, he was the "MVP" of that map and from there I was able to find many uses to his traps to the point of sinergizing them with other characters and building traps that launch the enemy over other traps.

I will give it a second playthrough when I finish it since I heard the New Game + is pretty well made and your EXP and unit progress carries over, while the enemies adapt to it level-wise, which is other amazing QOL feature.

Game finished in hard mode after 45 hours (I cleared all mock battles on hard mode too). It has been such a great experience all around. Highly recommended to anyone who likes tactical RPGs. It was so good that will go for the golden route inmediatly.

Gimme Square Strategy now.

Game finished in hard mode after 45 hours (I cleared all mock battles on hard mode too). It has been such a great experience all around. Highly recommended to anyone who likes tactical RPGs. It was so good that will go for the golden route inmediatly.

Gimme Square Strategy now.
Ahem, the sequel will be called Square Lesson Planning.

WHAT?! You telling me there are NEW mock battles with new rules in new game plus?!?! What a surprise when I reached chapter five and two new ones unlocked! Can I expect more from here? Between this and the option to take part of new routes you didn't play before, new game plus of this game feels like Triangle Strategy part II.

Last edited:
I have 3 hours in this game. And only played one battle lol.

I thought the “it’s like a visual novel sometimes” was an exaggeration but no. The dialogue isn’t even engaging or interesting yet so I’m getting the urge to skip everything. But then a choice comes up and feels like I can’t lol

I thought the “it’s like a visual novel sometimes” was an exaggeration but no. The dialogue isn’t even engaging or interesting yet so I’m getting the urge to skip everything. But then a choice comes up and feels like I can’t lol
I was like that in the beginning but eventaullt the story became decently engaging.

I can see how the writing isn't engaging for everyone (different tastes etc), but the big thing for me that motivated me a lot and made it a lot easier to stay engaged and pay attention (at least in the beginning, it picks up fairly quickly) is just how much the game rewards you for paying attention to the writing if you want to make the choices yourself and not just use a guide. And this extends to some things they tell you fairly early on, even if obviously some of the later reveals are a much bigger deal.

But for example, I guessed a relatively late-game twist as early as chapter 3 (what it was they discovered in the mines), and got golden route on my first playthrough without a guide, and I didn't feel like either of those things were massively flukes. And that feels so so so rewarding, because I agonized over some of those decisions haha.

I fully admit I was already primed to just enjoy it as a novel, but even then the story grabbed me really well as soon as they were done with the introductions.

The first chapters are very story heavy since they introduce almost all the characters and the proportion of story segments to battle segments are like 80-20. After that it's something more like 60-40 and the last part of the game is 40-60 I would say. But yeah, first two hours are almost all story.

iu

This game is so great! 🔥

I'm finally jumping in after taking a break from my last tactics obsession Into the Breach (which I'll eventually return to with its Advanced Edition, just not yet. :LOL: ) and it feels wonderful to be choosing tiles and character paths again. But this game is really just ⭐ perfect ⭐ in my eyes and I'm shocked at how streamlined they made such heady systems- I'm in love the with the encampment, side stories, the way it handles hard difficulty, choosing answers the way I would respond, etc.

I'm in Chapter Three, Part One, so really just embarking on the journey now when I'm not flying around Breath of the Wild on a three-heart run. The game looks absolutely incredible on the television, though I turn the vignette off when I play handheld on my non-SWOLED V2.

The dialogue isn’t even engaging or interesting yet
Hard disagree, I think the opening is great for introducing the houses and factions within factions.

So I can't find any English source for this but from a German online newssite, there is a nice update with some QoL stuff and a new chapter.

TRST_Update_patch_notes_EN.png

Wait, like an epilogue chapter?

Weird update, it's been more than a year since release. Wonder if we might get a sequel announcement soon?
I still don't have the game but I do remember Asano and the game's other producer (I think?) announcing this during the game's 1st anniversary livestream. Crazy to see it's an actual thing that's happening. And yeah, it did go under the radar.

Bodes well for a sequel I'd say.

Nice excuse to boot up the game again some time, provided I get around to it.

Also nice excuse for me to remind everyone remotely interested in SRPGs that they should play this game if they haven't yet.

Since the page appeared on my feed. Here to plug that TS is on sale 30% off. I dont know if its the first time lol.

One of the best games of 2022 and one of the best SRPGs out there.

I got through the extra chapter.

It's a nice addition to the game, and I can see why it was free. It takes place after the golden route, and it's basically just 10-20 minutes of the characters talking and reflecting on things. The moment between Roland and Avlora was nice. I hadn't played this game in over a year, but it's great how I still remember everyone who showed up. Maybe we don't need the same cast a second time, but I would love to see a sequel sooner or later!

The physical version of this is £25 in the UK now, worth it?
100%. Like it's one of my most favourite games. Genuinely a great story, great tactics, amazing orchestral soundtrack, great characters and honestly fun.

Only downside is the English voice acting is not that great.

I’ve just been playing this for the first time now, it’s extremely good! I would say worth it on sale no question

I’m also thinking about getting this on sale. Would you say it’s worth it as someone who is mostly an outsider to strategy games?
I would watch a few videos of battle gameplay and see if it's at all interesting to you- because it's not what I would describe as a strategy-lite game, quite the opposite.

I don't know how it scales on the lowest difficulty though, it might be breezy in terms of combat values and enemy aggression.

takes a deep breath
Triangle Strategy II, when?

Yes, I know it's only been a bit over a year, but if Square haven't at least greenlit a sequel by now, they are dead to me.

Anyway…

To everyone picking this game up on sale: you are in for a treat!

To everyone questioning if they should pick it up/if it is worth it: try the demo, but don't get discouraged if the demo seems too difficult, either. From what I recall the demo is harder than normal difficulty in the final release. On the easiest difficulty, the game should be manageable even for newcomers to the genre, and the story/characters alone are well worth giving it a chance. If you are intrigued at all, I say go for it.

I finished the game yesterday. In the final battle, I could actually feel my heart beating faster. I was soooooo into the story, and felt strongly about the characters and their journey. Doesn't happen often, so I Triangle Strategy is truly a great game, imo.

Back
Top Bottom