• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Triangle Strategy |ST| Romance of the Three Angles [NSW|PC]

Choose your conviction!

• Utility

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Morality

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Liberty

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • One does not simply choose a conviction.

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters

MissingNo.

Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Pronouns
He/Him
sn7OZj1.jpeg

QUICK FACTS

Release Date:
2022/03/04 (Switch), 2022/10/13 (Steam)
Platform: Nintendo Switch, Steam
Genre: Tactical RPG
Developer: Artdink
Producer: Yasuaki Arai, Tomoya Asano
Publisher: Square Enix (Japan), Nintendo (ROTW)
Rating: PEGI 12, USK 12, ESRB T, CERO C
File size: 5.8 GB
Physical release: Standard Edition (WW), Tactician's Limited Edition (Europe)
Demo: available on Nintendo eShop
Voices: Japanese, English
Text: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Korean, Chinese (simplified, traditional)

IswuUjM.jpeg

Promotional art, depicting characters associated with the Kingdom of Glenbrook.

***​

INTRODUCING TRIANGLE STRATEGY

Editor's note: The following FAQ is based on some topics that popped up in the Pre-release Discussion Thread, as well as others I thought were worth noting, and serves the purpose of introducing you, the reader, to Triangle Strategy. Some information might become outdated, or turn out as incomplete or even incorrect once the full game is released. In cases such as these, I will update the OP accordingly, unless the new information constitutes a spoiler. I am also open to adding further information and explanations by popular demand. Additionally, I will do my best to highlight important new developments around the game with Threadmarks.

yWEcyol.jpeg

Promotional art, depicting characters associated with House Wolffort.

#01: What is Triangle Strategy?
Triangle Strategy is a Tactical RPG in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. It is directed by the minds behind the Bravely Default series and Octopath Traveler, and utilises the HD-2D stlye first introduced in the latter. Square Enix and Team Asano market it as the second installment in the HD-2D series.

#02: Why the stupid name?
Straight away, huh? Both Square Enix and Team Asano have a storied history with outrageously dull or outright stupid naming conventions. From more recent titles like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler, to forgotten and forgettable ones like Infnite Undiscovery. If you remain unconvinced, may I remind you of the straight up gibberish subtitles of Kingdom Hearts games?

On a more serious note, if rationalising the title helps you get over its silliness, it is worth mentioning that the game's story deals with three main factions involved in a war over resources. The game also utilises a karma system based on three so-called 'convictions', so one might say the triangular nature of the title is very much justified. Yes, this is the best I could come up with. Sorry to let you down like this.

On a more personal note, triangles are neat, and I appreciate someone finally giving them the attention they deserve. Even if — in some kafkaesque twist — that appreciation is coming from Square Enix of all things. Moving on…

#03: Mind elaborating on the three main factions?
Triangle Strategy takes place on the fictional continent of Norzelia, where, thirty years prior to the game's story, three main factions — the Kingdom of Glenbrook, the Grand Duchy of Aesfrost, and the Holy State of Hyzante — have fought for control over the precious resources of salt and iron in the so-called Saltiron War.

Following a brief period of peace built on shaky diplomacy, the situation escalates once again. As the player, you lead young Serenoa and his entourage through this re-emerged conflict. Serenoa is the heir to House Wolffort, the highest of the three High Houses of Glenbrook.

#04: Can you put some faces to these names?
Say no more! Meet (some of) the cast of playable characters.

Information for the character portraits based on pre-release information provided by Square Enix.

But wait, there's more! You will be able to recruit more than 20 playable characters throughout the game.

#05: You mentioned 'convictions' earlier?
Utility, Morality, and Liberty are the three convictions that make up Serenoa's world view. Dialogue choices and decisions the player makes throughout the story contribute to the playable character leaning towards one of those convictions more than the others. Ahead of release, it is unclear how exactly the system works or just how deep it truly is, but it is known that your convictions directly impact which NPCs you will be able to meet and recruit throughout the story.

The story will also progress on different paths depending on the decisions you make. However, you will not be able to make the big descisions all by yourself. Instead, there are points throughout the story where votes are being held with help of the 'Scales of Conviction'. In essence, the entire party votes on the issue at hand based on their individual beliefs. As the player, you will have the opportunity to listen to what your party members have to say ahead of voting, and can attempt to make your case and sway them, one by one, to vote in line with your own convictions.

While we do not know how many different routes there are, the branching story should ensure a high replayability value, especially when taking into account that the game is confirmed to have multiple endings.

#06: Anything else I should know about the game?
The development team is doing a great job at making sure to provide you with all the useful information you might need during combat. Turn orders are dispayed unit by unit. You know which unit is in the range of others, how much damage you or your enemy's units are likely to deal and which of your units are drawing aggro, and from whom, etc.

Like they did before with Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default II, the team is also taking into account player feedback. If you played the Debut Demo, you should know that they made changes based on the survey for said demo and, among other things, further improved on the readability and accessibility of all the information provided during battle. You can read about some of the changes here, and check them out in the Prologue Demo.

#07: If I like Fire Emblem, will I like this game?
Chances are high, but I feel like it is important to elaborate on this topic. It will ultimately depend on what you like most about Fire Emblem. While some mechanics are similar across both, such as class promotion, other systems can vary to some degree. Triangle Strategy does not offer a perma-death mode, for instance. It would also be misguided to expect the same level of social interaction introduced in more recent FE games, culminating in Three Houses.

However, if you are for the most part into the gameplay loop and strategic decision-making Fire Emblem offers from battle to battle, that itch should be scratched nicely, despite some key differences regarding the flow of combat.

#08: Just how different is combat when compared to Fire Emblem?
The major difference you should be aware of is that turns are handled differently in Triangle Strategy, leading to a less rigid flow of combat. In Fire Emblem, you move all of your units in your turn, before the enemy moves all of their units in their turn. In Triangle Strategy, each unit, regardless of their allegiance, has their own individual turn. As such, you might be able to move two or three of your units without your enemy getting in a turn, and vice versa. The specific turn order of each individual unit is determined by their speed attribute. Overall, battle scenarios are more dynamic in comparison, which will impact the way you want to approach combat rather dramatically while keeping an eye on the turn order.

In addition to that, unit positioning is crucial and its importance is emphasised by the game's mechanics. For instance, attacks from behind are guaranteed to deal critical damage, and units are able to follow up on attacks if they are flanking an enemy unit. Attacking from an elevated position, especially with a ranged unit, also adds a damage multiplier and increases the attack's range. Even beyond that the terrain can be utilised to ones advantage with clever use of elemental spells, further adding to the overall complexity of the system.

Those familiar with Final Fantasy Tactics will have noticed a lot of similarities. If still in doubt, the easiest way to determine whether or not the game is for you is to download the Prologue Demo from the eShop and see how you like it. The first three chapters are playable, and save data carries over to the full game.

#09: What if I enjoyed Asano's former work but am generally not into the Tactical RPG/SRPG genre?
In that case, I also suggest to try the demo and see if you like it. As mentioned earlier, the game does a good job of providing you with all the necessary tools to succeed in battle, though I have to admit being exposed to that much information might be intimidating to a newcomer at first glance.

If you are not experienced with the genre whatsoever, it might help to know that the game offers an 'easy' difficulty option on top of 'normal' and 'hard'. You will also be able to participate in mock battles between missions to try out different strategies and team compositions, and gain additional EXP and ressources in the process. You will be able to replay mock battles as often as you want, providing you with a quick and easily accessible way to grind for ressources and level up characters.

#10: Is the OST a banger? Because I need it to be a banger.
Why, yes. Worry not, it certainly is! For instance, did you know that Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood composer Akira Senju has worked on this game's OST?

#11: Hey, listen, I gotta ask — what is that ST subtitle?
The subtitle is based on Luo Guanzhong's historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms, as well as Koei Tecmo's long-running strategy game series of the same title.

In fact, this was only my second choice. Back when I claimed the ST, I planned on making the subtitle Triangles and Tribulations, a play on the title of the final game in the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. However, as a quick websearch will tell you, that was not the most original idea. So, even though I liked it on more than one level, I decided to drop it.

Another one I considered in the process was A Song of Triangles and Strategies, but I quickly dismissed that one on account of being too boring, obvious, and painfully pedestrian.

#12: Look, I am, like, super busy. Do you have some sort of TL;DR for me to fall back on?
If you typically like this kind of video game and have no inexplicable aversion to triangles, this is a game that might be worth your attention.

#13: Anything you want to add?
We all know nobody actually reads the OP of any ST. Except for you, that is! You suffered through all of it, and I salute you for it. Cheers!

Lastly, even though I lack experience in ST creation and the necessary skillset to provide flamboyant banners and an overall less essay-esque presentation, I had a lot of fun in the process, and I hope the end result is adequately informative and entertaining. Thanks for reading, be nice to each other, and enjoy playing and discussing the game.

#14: One last thing, you did not specifically say not to openly discuss spoilers in this thread, so surely this means I —
NO! I can not believe I have to stress this, but please make sure to mark spoilers appropriately in this thread. I fully understand the need for discussing each of the outrageous twists and turns one stumbles upon over the course of the story in painstaking detail, but for the benefit of others, please remember to make use of the handy spoiler feature.

Different people will start and complete this game at different times, and the effect will only be multiplied by the game's various different routes, so I am once again asking for everyone to do their part in making this thread a safe and spoiler-free zone for everyone. Thank you for your consideration, and merry Trianglemas.

***​

Triangle-Strategy-1.jpg

Promotional art, depicting characters associated with the Grand Duchy of Aesfrost.

USEFUL RESOURCES

Triangle Strategy — Pre-release Discussion Thread (archived)
Reveal Trailer
Release Date Trailer
Demo survey results and implemented changes
Challenge Your Convictions Trailer
Character & Story Trailer #1, #2, #3
Final Trailer
Triangle Strategy - Review Thread, courtesy of @Guaraná
OpenCritic (82)
Metacritic (83)

m0LgpYp.jpeg

Promotional art, depicting characters associated with the Holy State of Hyzante.

Last edited:
Great thread. Given my history with strategy games, I am preparing to have my butt kicked by this beauty tomorrow. I was even able to get a day off from work.

Amazing thread title. Looking forward to playing it soon!

Great thread!

Small correction though: You accidentely switched the texts for the first two promotional arts. The first is Glenbrook, the second is Wolffort.

Great thread!

Small correction though: You accidentely switched the texts for the first two promotional arts. The first is Glenbrook, the second is Wolffort.
My copy-paste magic was flawed, thanks for pointing it out!

My copy just dispatched, very excited for this one. Looks so nice in HD-2D, my only reservation right now is the English dub, wasn't particularly fond of it in the demo so might go for Japanese instead.

asano isn't the producer btw
I have it from here, but I seemingly forgot to credit Arai.

A note from the developers

“We’re grateful to have received a lot of responses from people all over the world, and are very glad as developers to have gotten positive feedback and suggestions from each region. We’re working on various improvements for the final version of TRIANGLE STRATEGY, based on the responses to the survey. Please take a look!” – Yasuaki Arai & Tomoya Asano (Producers)

I have it from here, but I seemingly forgot to credit Arai.

A note from the developers

“We’re grateful to have received a lot of responses from people all over the world, and are very glad as developers to have gotten positive feedback and suggestions from each region. We’re working on various improvements for the final version of TRIANGLE STRATEGY, based on the responses to the survey. Please take a look!” – Yasuaki Arai & Tomoya Asano (Producers)
i suppose i forgot about he just straight away labeling as that for survey result, considering he specifically used concept & production title for all 3 switch games (including this one).... tho i guess i'm being nitpicky for no reason as that is still being a producer lol

This came in yesterday and I have played 4 hours thus far, really enjoying it! However, I only have had 3 battles thus far and while I don't mind that as I find the plot intriguing, if you didn't enjoy the story beats in the demo I don't think the game is for you. There is a heavy focus on the plot and it doesn't seem to let up further into the game.

still debating whether to go with hard as usual per srpg/asano stuff, or just go normal for easy peasy clear.
going hard probably much more satisfying, but have a feeling that i'll end up get distracted by usual stuff mid-way and ends up having trouble to actually finish it lol

Great ST @MissingNo.! Can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow and play it all weekend and next week (the school I'm working at has Spring Break next week).

Excellent ST! Very much looking forward to this although I don't have it pre-ordered and will hopefully pick it up soon.

I need to get on this demo! Will check out reviews today, too.

I may try this soon. I have the demo downloaded, so may try that first. I know I like SRPGs, so betting will enjoy this one.

Should I add a poll to the thread? I did not really have any fun ideas for one, but if someone can think of something, I will make sure to put one up.

Also, thanks everyone! I am glad my OP/choice of title is well received.

Edit: Added MC/OC links to the OP and fixed some minor formatting errors.

Last edited:
Should I add a poll to the thread? I did not really have any fun ideas for one, but if someone can think of something, I will make sure to put one up.

Also, thanks everyone! I am glad my OP/choice of title is well received.

Edit: Added MC/OC links to the OP and fixed some minor formatting errors.
Perhaps a poll for the three conviction choices + "not fixed" or something like that.

Thanks! My mind is conflicted, for I have not attained the title of Elden Lord yet, but the Triangles beckon regardless.
Luckily my decision is made for me by having nothing to play Elden Ring on.

Triangle Strategy will be a great "waiting for a Steam Deck" game since I'm probably getting mine near the end of March. By which time I'll probably be at least close to done with the traingularly strategizing

Luckily my decision is made for me by having nothing to play Elden Ring on.

Triangle Strategy will be a great "waiting for a Steam Deck" game since I'm probably getting mine near the end of March. By which time I'll probably be at least close to done with the traingularly strategizing
As tough a decision as it is, I will probably shelf Elden Ring for a bit and keep alternating between it and Triangle Strategy every couple of days.

Hopefully that will help keep me from burning out on either game in the long run.

Excited to start the full game after finishing the Prologue demo a few weeks ago. I'm also going to be playing this in tandem with Elden Ring, but I've never really had a problem juggling two or more games at a time.

Great OP! Can't wait for this game. Quite honestly this might be my personal most anticipated of the year. I love SRPGs. So much. I do wonder if I will be able to finish all 3 routes though lol.

With all the floods going on in my state I was sure (and fine with) my copy being delayed. Good thing I picked my local place to deliver from because it came on time!
b8a43372597a28b476caebc8f9c8cbd7fdaea73e.jpg

(i come from a land down under where women glow and men plunder)

What this poll has taught me is that when Smash asks Fami to choose their fighter, Fami says "No!" and picks random instead. As it should be.

The last couple of hours until the delivery person drops by are always the worst part of the wait for me. Will not have too much time to check it out today as I have a busy evening ahead, but tomorrow is wide open.

I'm really looking forward to this (arriving later tonight).

I've avoided all gameplay videos, and didn't play the demo, so as not to spoil the surprise. Turn-based strategy is one of my favourite types of game.

Man, I would have loved to have that card deck, that is really nice.

It's better than I thought! I imagined only the Jokers, Jacks, Queens and Kings would've had art work, but instead every single card has that!
And the metal dice are also very nice and heavy.

It's better than I thought! I imagined only the Jokers, Jacks, Queens and Kings would've had art work, but instead every single card has that!
And the metal dice are also very nice and heavy.
Yeah, it looks amazing! It's a shame they don't sell that stuff separately as well.

Yup, I always get this feeling, playing RPGs in handheld is amazing especially coming from the 3ds. The presentation and gameplay of Triangle Strategy is sublime.

I also love the fact that despite being a sprite game which is most likely cheaper, they don't hold back with the budget when it comes to music. Full orchestra is so good.

Back
Top Bottom