• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Top SNES music that don't make it to Top 10 lists

ReyVGM

Game Endings Master
SNES games (even terrible ones) are usually graced with enjoyable music.

However, every time there's a Top SNES soundtracks list, it's usually populated by the most famous titles: the Zeldas, Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, etc. Although, I got to say, music from some of the less popular games have gained notoriety in the last few years, such as Plok and Waterworld.

So what are some of the great music tracks you think belong in a top 10 list if all the other more popular soundtracks didn't exist?

Mine are:

Super Ghouls'n Ghosts - Level 2

Shadowrun - Vampires

Megaman 7 - Shademan

Arcana - Last Boss (this game has kickass boss musics)

7th Saga - Dungeon

Last edited:
solely speaking about Zelda but every time someone mentions ALttP it is all about the Dark World theme.

This piece to me is probably a Top 3 Theme in all of gaming and it rarely gets a shout out:

The ending theme of Super Turrican 2 is, IMO, Chris Huelsbeck’s best track ever. Easily my second favorite SNES OST after Terranigma.

Last edited:
From Otogirisu (which created the Visual Novel genre though Chunsoft trademarked "Sound Novel" which is why the genre has a slightly different name).

From Gakkou de atta Kowai Hanashi (another Visual Novel, it's the entire OST since Youko Watanabe made a fine job)

From Lethal Weapon

From Equinox:

From Super Off-road:

From X-men Mutant Apocalypse:

From Stunt Race FX:

From The Ninja Warriors:

From Gundam Wing Endless Duel:

From Dynami Tracer:

From Super Bomberman 5:

From Jurassic Park Part 2:

From Hyper Iria:

From Ihatovo Monogatari:

From Choujikuu Yousai Macross - Scrambled Valkyrie:

Super SWIV:

From HAL's Hole In One Golf:

Last edited:
Not from a lesser-known game, but it is an all-time favourite of mine and it's tucked away in a sense. It only starts playing if you stay on the title screen for long enough which I recon very few people really did.

Also: the best sounding rock soundtrack I've heard on the platform:

Sweet, another thread where I get to plug the Super Bonk OST!

Twilight Space (the song linked above) is the highlight, but I spent almost my entire first playthrough enjoying the soundtrack. Definitely worth a listen!

Sweet, another thread where I get to plug the Super Bonk OST!

Twilight Space (the song linked above) is the highlight, but I spent almost my entire first playthrough enjoying the soundtrack. Definitely worth a listen!

Love me some Super Bonk.

This song in particular gives me that good ole 80s/90s anime nostalgia.

I've gotta give Sparkster some love here too.

Gives off that "This is a start of a great adventure!" energy.

solely speaking about Zelda but every time someone mentions ALttP it is all about the Dark World theme.

This piece to me is probably a Top 3 Theme in all of gaming and it rarely gets a shout out:

Might be my most listened to SNES theme of all time. Absolutely adore this track.

Shout out to the Super Mario World credits theme too.

Anything from Lufia:

Lufia 2: Boss Battle Theme

Lufia 2: Sinistrals Battle Theme

Lufia 2 - The Savior Of Those On Earth

Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals Music Snes - To Those of the Azure Skies

Just a criminally underrated JRPG on the Super Nintendo

Top Gear. I don't even like racing games but I played the shit out of that one solely for the music

Super Castlevania IV, stage 2, Forest of Monsters. That bass underpinning it. I’ve never forgotten it.

Super Castlevania 4 in general doesn’t get much credit for its soundtrack (at least compared to other games in the series), but it’s great. This theme, the cave theme, the water cliffs, all bangers

Shout out to the Act Raiser 2 soundtrack. Just like the game, the soundtrack is oppressive and not as good as the 1st game, but there are still some outstanding tracks here.

Back
Top Bottom