• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Tokusatsu |ST| Forum Squadron FamiRanger, Combine!

I’ll probably pick up Geats despite the steep price and being a little ambivalent about the show. At least Shout is making an attempt, unlike Toei.

Still waiting for that Build Blu-Ray… any day now…

Went ahead and pre-ordered Geats

Also I gotta say, whoever edited this trailer... they chose some interesting clips here

Last edited:
First episode of Boonboomgers was positively zany. I loved KingOhger but oh man is it nice to see some real locations again :LOL:

First episode of Boonboomgers was positively zany. I loved KingOhger but oh man is it nice to see some real locations again :LOL:
Yeah just watched it too - it was fun, i liked the mario kart allusions racing the monster of the week on rainbow road before he grows etc... definitely nice to see real locations after KingOhger too (though ive only seen bits of it and i hear the story was decent) - Boonboomger feels like very classic Sentai in comparison to all the more off the wall stuff theyve tried lately

keX46lv.png

yw1dR1.gif

Boon Boomgers continues to be wonderfully unhinged. After all the experimental stuff since Kiramaiger was done, it's nice to have a sort of back to basics show. Rica Matsumoto as a legally distinct Transformer is funny but her just using her Satoshi voice is throwing me off :LOL:

Also Tomioka writing what he knows, in this case a goofy, mafia-like villain group, reporting to a mysterious entity that only communicates with them through a screen. Also they use (kinda impractical) vacuum mechas to achieve their goal 👀

I really don’t like that the most prominent sub group is going with “Cranked-Up” as the TL for Bakuage. I normally love O-T and their work but I dunno, “Crank” just doesn’t work for me. So I’ve been editing all of my sub files to replace “crank” with “rev” because “Revved-Up Sentai BoonBoomger” sounds better to me.

I really don’t like that the most prominent sub group is going with “Cranked-Up” as the TL for Bakuage. I normally love O-T and their work but I dunno, “Crank” just doesn’t work for me. So I’ve been editing all of my sub files to replace “crank” with “rev” because “Revved-Up Sentai BoonBoomger” sounds better to me.
I wanted to say that I saw someone I watch Sentai with share a tweet with that same complaint... then I checked back and realised that that tweet was probably yours :LOL:

I can kinda see where you're coming from, but I will always associate "rev up" with cardgames on motorcycles :D

this pic goes hard.

as noted in the tweet, they recently had a discussion about their films. which was uploaded a few hours ago.

Sigh BoonBoomgher does sound cool, but watching it is difficult due to Toei as always

On another note
Well this is sad to hear, seems he lived a long life tho

got really excited because I thought this thread was about tonkotsu ramen…

The word 'tokusatsu' has been officially added to the Oxford English Dictionary in a March update of Japanese 'borrowings'

From Oxford English Dictionary:
"A genre of Japanese film or television entertainment characterized by the use of practical special effects, usually featuring giant monsters, transforming robots, and masked and costumed superheroes."

The word 'isekai' was also added.

Don't stop the Boon Boom... the full opening theme for Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger and Bundorio Bunderas' debut single are now available

The new Ultraman has been announced and revealed!! Looks clean and classic

%25E3%2582%25A6%25E3%2583%25AB%25E3%2583%2588%25E3%2583%25A9%25E3%2583%259E%25E3%2583%25B3%25E3%2582%25A2%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2582%25AF%25E8%2585%25B0%25E6%2589%258B%25E3%2583%259D%25E3%2583%25BC%25E3%2582%25BA-768x1024.jpg

Oh man, I like this guy already, dual purpose sword is hilarious

image.png

Also along with being a sword user seems form changes are back but it’s addon armor this time which is honestly fine? Doesn’t interfere with the core design being clean which is major

Geats came in, forgot it came with a poster so I was very confused by the long, narrow box it shipped in:

IMG_9128.jpg

Tore through disc 1 of my Geats Blu-Ray last night, for whatever reason I’m enjoying the show way more on rewatch. I think part of it is meeting the show where it is rather than hoping it’s something it’s not. Sadly the packaging and presentation of the Blu-Ray itself is a bit disappointing in some ways, but I’m glad it got a home video release all the same.

Cosmic Fury was a finale of sorts for the existing Power Rangers continuity, and in theory it's supposed to come back with a reboot next year.
Given the strikes delaying writing/development by a year pretty much etc... and Entwistle who is apparently behind the reboot/overseeing the new PR franchise on screen, is on the Karate Kid movie which is releasing at the end of this year... there's a showrunner in Jenny Klein but at this point (and strikes potentially on the way this year too), PR is going to be gone til 2026 at the earliest you have to assume, given nothing is planned for shooting this year.

Hard to say what happens atm... the reboot could very easily still fall apart too

Damn, that sucks. Dino/Cosmic Fury was pretty good and now there's nothing. i might have to check what Super Sentai is up to these days. I stopped watching some years ago when they got too weird with the suits.

Damn, that sucks. Dino/Cosmic Fury was pretty good and now there's nothing. i might have to check what Super Sentai is up to these days. I stopped watching some years ago when they got too weird with the suits.
boonboomger is very classic sentai - nothing too weird going on. Enjoying it a lot - definitely worth a watch.

Almost done with my Geats rewatch and although the last arc is definitely very spotty I think this show has gone up significantly in my Rider ratings. Something about it just works much better for me now. It’s like discovering a new favorite show that I didn’t know existed for now.

Imho, Sentai has been on a roll for the past couple years, since at least DonBros, if not Kirameiger. Any of the past few years' show since then is a great watch (though I don't know if DonBros is a particularly good entry point). But Boonboomger does feel very "back to basics" so far, so not a bad thing to check out.

Last edited:
Wait Kamen Rider Agito and 555 got English dubs? Just finding out cause freetv just put em up.
apparently these are completely new and based off a Spanish dub the site made.

there's a noted history of dubs for the series being made in various regions such as Singapore, Agito seemingly wasn't dubbed back then. But 555 was and is currently missing beyond a brief commercial clip.

Wait Kamen Rider Agito and 555 got English dubs? Just finding out cause freetv just put em up. Gonna have to give a go for a change of pace XD

Also Discotek picked up Jiban Jiban, Jibaaaannnnnnn

huh, wonder why they skipped shaider-Jiraya. Hopefully Jiban is good in the meanwhile.

huh, wonder why they skipped shaider-Jiraya. Hopefully Jiban is good in the meanwhile.
Cheaper license with less red tape maybe? I know some of the others are in that Kamen Rider black RX category.

Also finally dawned on me the other week: RX=Redux
apparently these are completely new and based off a Spanish dub the site made.

there's a noted history of dubs for the series being made in various regions such as Singapore, Agito seemingly wasn't dubbed back then. But 555 was and is currently missing beyond a brief commercial clip.

Woah that’s cool. Well I’m giving it a go, almost none of the KR dubs outside of that are available right now and gives me a good break from watching subs(I’m working on Build right now with Kuuga and Ryuki next on the list).

Begs the question, 555 or Agito first? Leaning the former

Finished Geats rewatch a few days ago and yeah, I think this is a top 5 Rider now, warts and all. Put another way, I'd consider it an 8/10 show bumped to an 8.5 thanks to the fantastic action sequences. Hope we get more Rider from Shout before too long.

Also had the last few episodes of Kingohger to finish up today and what a ride. While I think the first half was more enjoyable than the second half, this was in many ways a very ambitious Sentai series and I loved the big swings it took even if there were obvious limitations with the production. Probably the best final battle in Sentai history also. Would likely put this in my top 5 Sentai as well.
Begs the question, 555 or Agito first? Leaning the former
You can really go either way on this, though I would perhaps suggest watching Agito after Kuuga as Agito is kind of a spiritual successor to Kuuga (it was originally going to be more explicitly a canonical sequel to it, but was changed last minute).

Finished Geats rewatch a few days ago and yeah, I think this is a top 5 Rider now, warts and all. Put another way, I'd consider it an 8/10 show bumped to an 8.5 thanks to the fantastic action sequences. Hope we get more Rider from Shout before too long.

Also had the last few episodes of Kingohger to finish up today and what a ride. While I think the first half was more enjoyable than the second half, this was in many ways a very ambitious Sentai series and I loved the big swings it took even if there were obvious limitations with the production. Probably the best final battle in Sentai history also. Would likely put this in my top 5 Sentai as well.

You can really go either way on this, though I would perhaps suggest watching Agito after Kuuga as Agito is kind of a spiritual successor to Kuuga (it was originally going to be more explicitly a canonical sequel to it, but was changed last minute).
Yeah that’s why I was leaning towards 555(tho I watched the first episode of Agito a while back before building him)
IMG_8487.jpg

Music Collection Vol. 1 soundtrack for Boonboomger has been released on Spotify/Apple Music/YouTube/digital download

Hasbro have entered into a strategic partnership with Playmates to produce Power Rangers toys from 2025 across all regions except Asia (I'm guessing in a non-compete with Sentai etc...) beginning with a kid focused MMPR line.
Hasbro retain entertainment rights, though as mentioned earlier in the thread, it doesn't seem like the show will be returning to screens until at least 2026.
https://newsroom.hasbro.com/news-re...tes-toys-enter-strategic-relationship-produce

No shade on people who enjoy Power Rangers, but I kind of hope the brand withers away as to free up the stranglehold it has on Sentai distribution rights.

No shade on people who enjoy Power Rangers, but I kind of hope the brand withers away as to free up the stranglehold it has on Sentai distribution rights.
I think there's a place for both - and it certainly looks like Power Rangers is undergoing a fairly significant transformation one way or another - but i think both can live side by side and it would be great if that would happen instead of pretending Sentai doesn't exist largely in the west - the fact we have Geats on BluRay already but have never seen anything of series like Lu/Pat, KingOhger etc... is insane

I think there's a place for both - and it certainly looks like Power Rangers is undergoing a fairly significant transformation one way or another - but i think both can live side by side and it would be great if that would happen instead of pretending Sentai doesn't exist largely in the west - the fact we have Geats on BluRay already but have never seen anything of series like Lu/Pat, KingOhger etc... is insane
I kind of view it like Macross in that regard. Obviously if they could exist side by side that would be ideal.

I kind of view it like Macross in that regard. Obviously if they could exist side by side that would be ideal.
I suspect with Power Rangers going off and doing its own thing with American original stories, designs, mecha etc... as seems to be the plan for the new reboot, this will be more likely/possible going forward

I kinda wonder what the hell the point of a MMPR-toyline for kids is supposed to be. Like, sure, Dinosaurs probably never stop being cool but... kids these days barely know MMPR at all? I kinda wish Power Rangers would be managed a bit better, they seem a bit stuck in nostalgia land nowadays. I also wished we'd get official Sentai releases here though.

That aside, while the Robotech/Macross comparison seems apt, it's not quite fair to Power Rangers. At least that one tries to do something original once in a while and it even gets acknowledged overseas.

Back
Top Bottom