• A new Metroid event is now active. Come join the fun over in Aurc's thread!

StarTopic Tokusatsu |ST| Forum Squadron FamiRanger, Combine!

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Pronouns
he/him
Famiboards-Toku-ST-Banner.png

What is Tokusatsu?

Tokusatsu is a style of Japanese television and film that features heavy use of special effects, practical and computer generated. In layperson’s terms: it’s got people in costumes, explosions, miniature city sets, etc.

Godzilla, Ultraman, Power Rangers and its Japanese equivalent Super Sentai, and Kamen Rider are all well-known examples of the medium. Its history dates back to the 50’s, and they’re still making television and movies in this style all the way to today.

Famiboards-Toku-ST-break.png

What’s currently airing?

Donbrothers_Poster.jpg

The 46th Super Sentai show, Avataro Sentai Donbrothers, is a Sentai take on the story of Momotarou, the peach boy.

Kamen_Rider_Geats_poster.jpg

KAMEN RIDER GEATS

The newest Kamen Rider, 4th of the Modern Era, is Kamen Rider Geats. This show is a tokusatsu take on modern Battle Royale video games such as Fortnite and Apex Legends.

MV5BOTA4MjZjOTMtYzVlMC00NTViLWE0YzEtNDdmOTU5ZDU2ZDBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzMTI1Mjk3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

ULTRAMAN DECKER

The 34th Ultraman, Decker, is both a sequel to last year’s Ultraman Trigger, and a 25th celebration of Ultraman Dyna.

KRBlackSun-AmazonPrimePoster.jpg

KAMEN RIDER BLACK SUN

Kamen Rider Black Sun is a modernized version of 1987’s fan favourite Kamen Rider Black, to celebrate it’s 35th anniversary, as well as the 50th anniversary of the Kamen Rider franchise overall.

Kamen Rider Black Sun is coming to Amazon Prime Video on October 28th, worldwide!

Famiboards-Toku-ST-break.png

I’m excited to chat about tokusatsu with however few fellow toku fans are on Famiboards.

What’s your favourite tokusatsu show? Who’s your favourite characters? What suits do you like the best? Let’s hear all of your explosively hot takes on the medium below!

ermitron2

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
They finally separated the thread. If I have to mention favorites that would be the original Garou and Gokaiger. Both of the have very good action and the armor / pirate theme worked great

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Pronouns
he/him
They finally separated the thread. If I have to mention favorites that would be the original Garou and Gokaiger. Both of the have very good action and the armor / pirate theme worked great
Garo was always so wildly interesting because Keita Amemiya got to make his own non-franchise tokusatsu show. It wasn’t ever really my thing but I cannot deny the show simply oozes Amemiya’s signature style!

slide's

Sunlight zone
Pronouns
he/him
thanks for splitting the thread! now that the original thread is very busy with anime season stuff I'd stopped checking it for any hope of tokusatsu discussion lol

i just started Build the other day, I don't love it yet but I'll stick with it for a bit, the posts above are encouraging at least

I've been watching Geats each week, the first time I'm watching one of these as it airs, and I'm actually enjoying it a whole lot. much more interesting tonally than the other recent series I've sampled. also excited by Black Sun despite the bizarre, tone-deaf police violence/protestor angle that's been present in the trailers lol—if nothing else I'm psyched to see Hidetoshi Nishijima transform

Keita Amemiya's stuff is my absolute favorite though—I've only seen up through the original Garo series but all of his film output is imo the pinnacle of the medium

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/Him

hey look, interesting video game factoid. :)

i still need to finish watching Kamen Rider Zero One at some point. i've already went through Kuuga.

Mandos

Starman
Pronouns
He/Him
I’ve only watched a chunk of power rangers fully with just a smattering of OG Kamen rider, Zubat and half of Ultra Q and og Ultraman otherwise. But I’m in the mood to have some more on the shelf for a whim since I have budget again so I’m leaning Kamen Rider Black. KR Kuuga, CS Jetman and Gavin on my random Toku series I’d love to add to my collection list. It’s just fun to have something I can pop in and watch on a long weekend or vacation. Kuuga and Jetman specifically I’m going to try and get during the big RSA sale next month.

(I currently have Ultra Q, Ultraman, Ultra Seven, Return of Ultraman, Ultraman orb, and a random smattering of Godzilla movies.)

Mekanos

Kuwabara The Man
Pronouns
he/they
Black Sun is pretty damn good so far, two episodes in. Way more into this than Amazons. Sadly, for some reason it's not accessible in the Amazon search if you're American. But if you have a Prime account, you can watch it clicking this link:

Then if you pause it and continue it on your TV your Amazon account should keep the episode.

Mandos

Starman
Pronouns
He/Him
Here’s my fun but small collection. Just got in Gavan and Kuuga today. Now as for when I’ll get around to watching them? That’s a mystery

IMG_6077.jpg

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/Him
FYI, Shout Factory is starting a 4-day long series of airing various giant monster films daily in about an hour, hosted by the legendary John Carpenter.

schedule is....
  • 11/3 - Godzilla (1954)
  • 11/4 - Rodan
  • 11/5 - Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
  • 11/6 - The War of the Gargantuas
it's also sponsored by Call of Duty, for some reason?
mLXSqVk.png

there was an event starring godzilla in Warzone, but still.

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Pronouns
he/him
Here’s my fun but small collection. Just got in Gavan and Kuuga today. Now as for when I’ll get around to watching them? That’s a mystery

IMG_6077.jpg
Nice! I should post a similar pic of my collection.

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Pronouns
he/him
I meant to post my thoughts on Black Sun, which I finished recently! So here are my SPOILER-FREE THOUGHTS:

It was neat! It was trying a LOT, really swinging for the fences, and while I do think it accomplished more than one would expect going in I don’t think it nailed everything. I think it was neat to see a higher-budget, shorter-run Rider show like this and I do hope to see more in the future, but I hope Toei gets over the “let’s make it messed up and bloody/gory because we can’t on Sunday mornings” thing because while I think some of the excessive violence of Black Sun was in-place to help establish tone/stakes, it definitely got well past the point of “unneccessary” less than halfway through the show’s short run. Some of the narrative choices also felt like runtime padding, and I think this almost would have been served better as like a 2.5 hour movie than a 10 episode miniseries.

Some of the plot points do not make sense but I don’t think anyone making the show cares. Frankly I don’t think you should either. I have a long rant in my heart about tokusatsu prioritizing “cool moments” over “plot coherence” and why that’s one of the best things about toku that sets the medium apart, but that’s a rant for another day!

The show has a lot to say about racial injustice that takes a LOT of imagery from modern day anti-racism protests/movements. It’s handling of that subject is frankly pretty loose in a way that, while it’s heart is in the right place on the topic, should have maybe put more care into.

In fact there’s one moment in the last 10 minutes of the show’s runtime that they absolutely should have cut. In fact I’ll just put it right here in a spoiler tag. CW for mention of racist police violence.

A Kaijin, the show’s stand-in for a group of people discriminated against, is being arrested by human police. They bring him to the ground while people start filming it. The police officer puts his knee on the neck of the Kaijin, who starts shouting “I can’t breathe,” recreating the murder of George Floyd.

The rest of the show isn’t nearly that careless, but it being within a few minutes of the end of the show really left a terrible taste in my mouth. Just an absolutely unnecessary moment that should have been cut.

Other than that one final moment, I do think the show is worth watching for Rider fans, especially fans of Kamen Rider Black. But it’s not even close to perfect and it’s absolutely not the 18+ mature Rider show to show non-toku fans that I know a lot of people were hoping for.

Top Bottom