• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro [TimeExtension] Random new photos show the POV of a Nintendo developer in the 90s

PixelKnight

Observing the process
Pronouns
He/Him

When it comes to the preservation of Nintendo's history, Forest of Illusion is constantly working away to archive anything it can and share it with the wider gaming community.

In July, for instance, we covered how it had managed to preserve an Intelligent Systems' dev kit for Game Boy and Game Boy Advance, giving us a chance to see how titles like WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!, Fire Emblem, and Advance Wars were made. Now it seems to be offering us another unique insight: giving us the opportunity to see from the perspective of Nintendo developers working on the Super Nintendo

I love these images of the assets, something about the Arwing always looks cool

Oh man this is fascinating. I love seeing this stuff. It's a shame it had to come from the gigaleak, but still.

I wonder if SNES homebrew devs would gain anything from these tools being leaked and usable. I guess they'd probably have to be hacked to be useable on modern operating systems.

While I'm aware that the stuff that happened with the Gigaleak was less than legal, I'm honestly somewhat disappointed that it stopped. It was a true treasure trove and some of that stuff was absolutely mind blowing to see.

on a related note, nintemdo's later usage of Silicon Graphics workstations actually got referenced in a game.
NATzol7.gif

look familar? this ui design would later go on to be the basis for Mario 64's file select menu.
RDoyS6a.gif

I wonder if SNES homebrew devs would gain anything from these tools being leaked and usable. I guess they'd probably have to be hacked to be useable on modern operating systems.
not really, no. there's plenty of unofficial tools designed for modern hardware already.
the real main use case here is being able to easily look at the proprietary formats Nintendo used at the time.

in fact, these weren't the only useful tools in the gigaleak. there was also a message editor for games using the .gmm format, and a tool for generating mystery gift events in the gen 4 Pokemon games.

on a related note, nintemdo's later usage of Silicon Graphics workstations actually got referenced in a game.
NATzol7.gif

look familar? this ui design would later go on to be the basis for Mario 64's file select menu.
It's a bit too fast, but the reflective cow, same reflective texture as metal Mario?

Back
Top Bottom