• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Thoughts on the 2DS?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2807
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2807

Hey everyone. I was just curious on what your alls thoughts were on the 2DS.

I quite like that it’s flat and feels more like a GameBoy in the hand.

I don’t have a 3DS currently and was able to snag one of these for about $60 - which seems like a very reasonable price for a whole platform with a great library.

I preferred the feel of the 3DS, personally, but it's still a nice piece of hardware especially for anyone uninterested in the 3D gimmick (and let's be real, a lot of games didn't do much with it) or looking for a budget option. For $60 you definitely got a nice deal!

I never liked the way the 2DS was designed. It looks more like a toy than it does a gaming device. But I understand that the 2DS wasn’t meant for me. I liked the n2DS better, but one of the best features of the 3DS for me was the 3D, so I wouldn’t ever be interested in buying one.

I love the 2DS. Which other Nintendo console can you pick up at such a low price point that gives you access to such a huge library of great games? I got my 2DS in 2020 for around £50 and it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made in gaming. I love the flat 'doorstep" form factor of it too, it feels very retro, and more importantly, much better in my hands for long play sessions than a 3DS/DS. I've never owned a 3DS, and I realise the 2DS is effectively just a lesser version, but at the same time it has enough going for it to make it my favourite out of any of the 3DS systems.

I believe you can still get a 2DS for around £60-£70 on CEX right now for anyone in Europe. Easy recommend if you don't have a way to play 3DS games atm, or even anyone who might need a cheap backup console & is worried about anything happening to their main console.

I think the costs of picking up second hand 3DS systems in the future will get pretty expensive. The 2DS should make an excellent alternative to paying eye watering amounts for retro gamers.

60 dollars is a great price for it. I personally like N3DS and N2DS LL the most.

I don’t like the design or the ergonomics of it but as a robust budget option, it’s hard to complain about really.

Does the 2DS also play DS games? For $60 that seems like a great way to access a huge game library

I regret not picking one up when they were abundant and cheap in the UK. There's a Zelda OOT 3D one in a handsome green and brown colourway that I'd love to own now.

I took my Switch OLED to Thailand with me but the console was a little on the bulky side... Something like the 2DS might have been ideal. They look like they can take a beating. I don't mind so much the lack of a hinge when you can just slip it into a slim case.

Did you know that it's surprisingly easy to hack your 2DS? Anyone can do it.
Does the 2DS also play DS games? For $60 that seems like a great way to access a huge game library
Yep! All 3DS models have backwards compatibility.

Considering the inflated 3DS prices nowadays, 60$ is solid.

Never was a big fan of the way it felt but it also wasn't made for me. Taking away the 3D aspect and dropping the price so much was a good call on Nintendo's part though. I knew a good handful of people who picked that up just because of how cheap it was compared to a normal 3DS.

It's a very nice console. Honestly my second favorite 3DS model after the New 3DS (never tried a New 2DS XL 🥲) and honestly the best console to play Etrian Odyssey games.

IMG-20230214-111231.jpg

For 60 dollar is a steal imho, go for it! (Edit: I'm a idiot reading forums, enjoy your 2DS!)

Last edited:
It's cute, we started my kid out with one when he was very young and it was a very good little device for that purpose, and I quite like the form factor. Obviously it was a budget device so the mono speaker, materials used make it less desirable than the other 2/3ds family members for me but I love that they did it. It's hard not to admire that they made such a solid gaming library accessible with such a low barrier to entry price wise, we need more of that in the world.

Back
Top Bottom