• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion This is the first generation ever where being "Nintendo only" is actually feasible to me

michael-caine-never.gif

Relinquish a PC? Not for me. Give me 2K and 4K at locked framerates with complex CPU systems chugging on turn based combat cycles every day of the week thank you.
PC is a generic open platform with many specs, there's absolutely lots people struggling to run games and chugging turns on TBS games on 'new' hardware they got ton the cheap because it's a platform not a closed ecosystem. I think you missed the point conversation of this thread completely, most people were discussing the consoles with PC being mentioned favorably. But you do you.

I subscribed to the xCloud and was disappointed by the line-up tbh, not sure what I was expecting but that was not it xD (there's some cool AA and indie stuff but most of it is also on the Switch, plus it is missing some big games)

Recently I finished It Takes Two with it though and it was great

I've been mostly using only the Switch for years so I guess it's viable but it depends on taste. I always had something to play between new releases and older releases that went on sale. But, while I noticed I don't really care for most of the missing third-party output, sometimes there's a heavy-hitter like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Elden Ring and those are hard to ignore (that is, until you look at the prices for new hardware xD specially if you won't use it for much else)

Last edited:
I don't even have enough gaming time for Switch games, it would be stupid for me to own another console...

The Yakuza franchise not being on Switch makes this an impossibility for me at the moment. I absolutely refuse to give that franchise up.

Realistically though, even without Yakuza I’d still go with two consoles given the current state of the Switch. It’s very rare for me to choose Switch over PC/PS5 if I have the choice between consoles for a specific game. Gimme that 60 FPS and short loading time.

It is the first generation where I am not interested in consoles from competitors. So console wise I agree. But I am actually a PC gamer too so actually no.
But I don't know if I would call it the first generation where its feasible because tastes are quite different.

Definitely feel like PC and Switch only is the smart choice this generation, at least for my taste. I got my hands on a PS5 digital at retail price and it has just wallowed after Rift Apart.

But Switch only? I dunno. Nintendo doesn't cater to my taste nearly enough to be able to float that (though my backlog of 20+ indies on there would probably disagree)
You can swap PC for Xbox as well, with Game Pass it’s been a huge win for me

Switch is the only console this gen that has a distinctive identity due to it 1. Offering a unique playing experience due to its form factor & 2. Its exclusives actually being very diverse and (I know it’s an ancient way of thinking) their games actually being exclusive to the console outside of a few.

Looking back I've been Nintendo-only ever since the Game Gear died; there was that brief moment when Sony jumped in the handheld ring, but now that they are done I'm happy going with just the Switch and whatever successor Nintendo comes up with as long as it's handheld.

As for "missing out" I've been told that for years, but I have more then enough on my plate gaming-wise that I'm fine with that. It also helps that a lot of games I missed out on over the years are now on the Switch.

Looking back I've been Nintendo-only ever since the Game Gear died; there was that brief moment when Sony jumped in the handheld ring, but now that they are done I'm happy going with just the Switch and whatever successor Nintendo comes up with as long as it's handheld.

As for "missing out" I've been told that for years, but I have more then enough on my plate gaming-wise that I'm fine with that. It also helps that a lot of games I missed out on over the years are now on the Switch.
Ive been told I’ve been β€˜missing out’ for being portable-focused over the years. And then people start talking about JRPGs as if barely anything decent released in the PS3 era, and I start thinking about all the stuff I played on DS/PSP, and it all gets discounted for some reason, as if anything that wasn’t in a Β£40 box on a home console doesn’t count.

Switch has been pretty much perfect for me. All of Nintendo’s stuff on a portable, a ton of indie support to the point where it’s an attractive platform for them rather than a pain to port to, and bits and pieces from elsewhere.

I'd miss the Sony exclusive stuff too much, I'm aware you can get a lot on PC but I gave up on PC gaming a few years ago.
For me, the Switch is still purely a Nintendo machine, especially as I play exclusively docked so anything non Switch exclusive would suit me better on the other machines.

I have a PS5 but I barely use it these days. I'll probably turn into a Nintendo/PC guy by the end of the gen.

Not saying that this applies to every game, but outside the Nintendo bubble, most of gaming has been going on a direction that i really don't care:
  • Live service
  • Microtransactions and Season Pass
  • Big focus on multiplayer experience
  • A game being considered dead because it doesn't have constant new content? Wtf?
Plus i don't really care about big blockbusters games, so the Switch has been satisfying all my gaming needs these past few years. The only exception was Psychonauts 2 that i played on my previous gaming laptop (sold it and bought and Macbook Air) but that's bound to happen if you only stick to one platform.

At the moment, i can't justify buying a 500€ console for just one or two games that sound interesting, i'm willing to wait for a late third party port on the Switch 2 in a few years.

(Plus, it's a minimalist dream just having one portable console to satisfy all your gaming needs)

It would work for me.. I'm almost there already

I have a Series X - which I have played 2 games on this year, probably gonna sell it once my Gamepass sub is over.
I have a PC which I mostly play boardgames on with friends, and the occasional RTS game. But I use it for all things so I'll keep this one.

Rest is all Switch.

Still too many good games on the other platforms me, that and the Switch is just not powerful enough docked for me. I've really found myself prioritising resolution above most other things when it comes to visuals these days so the idea of playing 3rd party games at like 720p docked is a big no go for me.

If we are talking about the consoles themselves with PC being a separate category. I feel this way.
I picked up all the systems at release with preorders for everything. But the Switch by far is my most used system behind my PC.
Especially now with the consoles releasing more PC ports and its looking likely its going to increase in the future. My Xbox hasn't been touched much since I got it and my PS5 has only sparingly been used for the occasional PS5 exclusive like Astro's Playroom, Horizon: FW and Miles Morales.

Prior gens when there was less a focus on PC-ports it made more sense to have more systems. But now, I can get most of my enjoyment from PC/Steam Deck with access to PS+ Streaming and XB Game Pass Ultimate. Then use my Switch for everything exclusive for that.

Ive been told I’ve been β€˜missing out’ for being portable-focused over the years. And then people start talking about JRPGs as if barely anything decent released in the PS3 era, and I start thinking about all the stuff I played on DS/PSP, and it all gets discounted for some reason, as if anything that wasn’t in a Β£40 box on a home console doesn’t count.

Switch has been pretty much perfect for me. All of Nintendo’s stuff on a portable, a ton of indie support to the point where it’s an attractive platform for them rather than a pain to port to, and bits and pieces from elsewhere.
It's so disappointing seeing people bemoan the "lack" of JRPGs during that time when all they needed to do was look toward the handhelds. I was swimming in the genre on both the DS and PSP.

As someone who mainly plays Japanese games, it isn't personally. Whether they're games like FF7R, DMC5, Tales of Arise and Nier Replicant that aren't on Switch or games that come far later than anticipated (DBZ Kakarot, Persona 5, Nier Automata, DB Fighters), being Switch only doesn't work for me (And I've tried xD)

Glad it works for others though!

Last edited:
I can easily envision myself on a timeline where my Switch and laptop are basically the only places I game. PC gaming, such as itch.io, is something that I'll always want access to, but also, doesn't require dedicated PC hardware.

My disinterest in most mainstream AAA console games--the unique selling point of Xbox/PlayStation/high-end PC systems--is very much a death by a thousand cuts. Some of is industry-side: confusing and rampant monetization, near total lack of lgbt content (besides playersexuality which I'm lukewarm about), and spectacle compensating for poor writing to name a few industry-side issues. But also, and this is honestly a thread unto itself, the consumerist culture in enthusiast spaces really is alienating. E.g. when I play JRPGs, I'm more interested in shipping whatever two characters felt right for each other than talking about minutiae of gameplay or the graphics; enthusiast spaces are decidedly more interested in the latter. When finding a community in this big wide web that balances a not only a common interest in games, but also a common enough interests in how you want to approach games, you stumble upon communities with relatively niche interests that pushes you even further from mainstream.

So anyway, where were we? Oh right--my disinterest in most mainstream console games. When I look at the PlayStation 5 (or Xbox Series whatever), Kingdom Hearts 4 and RGG studios are the only series at this time I'd seriously feel bummed about skipping. But also, I don't love those games so much that I'd pay $500+$70/game just to play them. Usually seven games is around the point I feel a console is worth the admission price, and I'm genuinely am unsure if PS5 will even clear that barrier. But also, Falcom and Atlus are huge wildcards; if Persona 6 is PS5/XB/PC exclusively, for example, a PS5 looks far more enticing. If I do get a PS5/Xbox, I suspect it'll be near the end of its lifespan.

I'm feeling the same way. I used to be a huge pc guy, but once those 10XX series cards hit, I couldn't find any available and they were quickly increasing in price due to miners and scammers so I haven't really been on pc for awhile.

Even tho I have a ps5 and a 65 oled tv, I find myself using my switch oled more and more.
Probably has something due to my old age these days...

There are many factors.

- There's more interest in gaming industry about gaas, Xbox E3n't Showcase was a proof of this.

- Numer of AAA is reducing every generation due to development cost.

- Many western AAA are broken at launch or are simply mediocre games.

- Nintendo schedule is a big improvement over last 4 generations, even counting portable systems, thanks to more internal titles, third party and indie support.

- Even if this is a matter of tastes, Nintendo games are different of the rest and far from trends, which is atracting for old school gamers (not necesarily old gamers).

My main platform is PC but i can und rstand why many people play only on the Switch.

Imho this is the best console that Nintendo has ever made by far, supassing even SNES.

it's quite early to call this gen a bust, but there definitely haven't been many exclusive games for the new boxes that justify purchasing them so far, imo. and there are so many great games on the switch that I understand just sitting tight and catching up

there are a lot of great games that aren't there, though. in 2022 alone you have stuff like elden ring, norco, tunic, the quarry, etc

I think a switch + one of the boxes or a PC is the ideal situation

Yes, it's a far cry from the Wii days of trying to get 480p to look good on HD displays and ports needing to be basically entirely new games built for the Wii. I'm enjoy Crysis, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, new DOOM, and a plethora of indies on my Switch and I'm looking forward to grabbing Nier and Persona. I own like 60% of these titles on PC but hybrid convenience is just too good. Cross-save is a blessing though.

I'll grab a Steam Deck eventually (probably an OLED revision) but the UX of that device does not match the Switch with respect to conveniently switching between docked and mobile play.

I think folks understate the convenience of the Switch when they say "it's a handheld" - yes it is, but there's also very easy to use docking station with immediate external display output, controller pairing and graphics profile switching. Let me tell you that as someone who has tinkered in Windows/Linux PC gaming for years, that this hybrid functionality is not so easy to automate, and I'm glad there's a dedicated device for it.

Don't think I would ever go Nintendo only. Or any other platform, for what it matters.

The Switch is their first console in a while that managed to convince me both in terms of its overall library and and the nature of the system. I especially love playing JRPGs and SRPGs on it, as the hybrid nature of the system works wonders for the playability of the (mostly) rather lengthy games in said genres. And I would probably have more than enough to play if I went Nintendo only.

Then again, there are still quite a few games out there I find compelling which either never make it to Nintendo systems, or only (half) a generation later. Then there are multiplatform games I would prefer to play on the big screen anyway (mostly very action-heavy games which can get hard to read for me on a small screen), so I might just as well get them on a dedicated home console. And then there always will be multiplatform games that just end up being more affordable more quickly, or are a better value to begin with on other platforms, especially when comparing digital storefronts.

So all in all, I probably could if I really had to, but it's not gonna happen.

I think folks understate the convenience of the Switch when they say "it's a handheld" - yes it is, but there's also very easy to use docking station with immediate external display output, controller pairing and graphics profile switching. Let me tell you that as someone who has tinkered in Windows/Linux PC gaming for years, that this hybrid functionality is not so easy to automate, and I'm glad there's a dedicated device for it.
The Deck has gotten a bit closer in the UX department when it comes to hybrid gaming, but still is a far cry from the Switch's almost perfect functionality in that regard; that much is for certain. With PC gaming's inherent nature, I also don't see this changing dramatically, which in the end means Switch/Nintendo/hybrid consoles (as in: closed systems designed for this purpose) will always have an edge there.

The Deck has gotten a bit closer in the UX department when it comes to hybrid gaming, but still is a far cry from the Switch's almost perfect functionality in that regard; that much is for certain. With PC gaming's inherent nature, I also don't see this changing dramatically, which in the end means Switch/Nintendo/hybrid consoles (as in: closed systems designed for this purpose) will always have an edge there.
Deck is what I've always been hoping for in Linux gaming - extended Proton compatibility, a dedicated UI, and optimized modes. But indeed, so long as there are non-compliant games (e.g. no X-input, no mixed keyboard and controller input for gyro aim, locked graphics settings) then it cannot be a true 'hybrid'. I am at least glad that it is a specific hardware target that developers can test games on.

As an owner of a launch Switch, PS5, XboneX and PC, it's a no from me.

I mainly play on PC and there's far too many games that are currently only on PC to only go Switch. My consoles are only used for exclusives and before I bought Xenoblade 3, last thing I bought for Switch was Metroid Dread.

XboneX is never in use anymore as MS releases everything on PC. PS5 isn't much in use after the Nvidia leak, my PS5 currently has installed.

As or right now, my time is 90% PC, 10% Switch, if it weren't for Xenoblade 3, it would be 100% PC.

I don't think Im gonna even use my PS5 again until Ragnarok.

I am darn near close to it this time. Though I have a PS5 and an XSX, I barely play either of them. I play the XSX more than the PS5 but 90% of my gaming time is spent on Switch. I am contemplating going "Switch 2" only and bowing out of the other consoles for the next generation.

Back
Top Bottom