• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Postgame & Spoiler Discussion Thread

Okay, I’m in postgame and struggling a bit to find a few things. Without giving direct answers, some help/advice would be welcome!

- the 7 Nopons quest. For the camp discussion it seems I only need to find 5, and I’m currently at 4/5. I guess the discussion will allow me to find the 6th and complete the quest?
But I went to a lot of places including lower Maktha forest and still couldn’t find the 5th.

- Triggering Melia’s ascension quest. I got that she wants to explore the world with us, and noticed she has things to say when going to Keves’ colonies with her. That’s what I did but it didn’t seem to trigger anything, and she doesn’t seem to comment on anything in Agnus’ colonies.
I also noticed she’s curious about the food, but that’s for every colony.

Do I really have to eat at every colony table with her? Or simply visiting colonies is fine and I missed something?

- finding the discussions about the Aionios’ strongests. I found only one by chance but still no other after many hours.
I guess those discussion spots are spread all over the world, not necessarily colonies? At this rate it seems I’ll never find them lol
Are they required to trigger the super bosses by the way? Or me can I find them without this discussing this topic/quest at a camp?

- When going to lower Maktha don't forget to look also up, not just in the ground.

- You can find the superbosses without discussing them. I didn't even knew you could discuss them lol

- For Melia, as with for most of the heroes, you just need one character at level 10 of her class and go with her on your team to the place "she belongs". Don't overthink it, it's that place.
The Throne Room at Keeves castle.

Last edited:
Okay, I’m in postgame and struggling a bit to find a few things. Without giving direct answers, some help/advice would be welcome!

- the 7 Nopons quest. For the camp discussion it seems I only need to find 5, and I’m currently at 4/5. I guess the discussion will allow me to find the 6th and complete the quest?
But I went to a lot of places including lower Maktha forest and still couldn’t find the 5th.

- Triggering Melia’s ascension quest. I got that she wants to explore the world with us, and noticed she has things to say when going to Keves’ colonies with her. That’s what I did but it didn’t seem to trigger anything, and she doesn’t seem to comment on anything in Agnus’ colonies.

Do I really have to eat at every colony table with her? Or simply visiting colonies is fine and I missed something?

- finding the discussions about the Aionios’ strongests. I found only one by chance but still no other after many hours.
I guess those discussion spots are spread all over the world, not necessarily colonies? At this rate it seems I’ll never find them lol
Are they required to trigger the super bosses by the way? Or me can I find them without this discussing this topic/quest at a camp?

- The Nopon smith I was missing was in Li Garte. Apparently you need Valdi in your team to make him react.

- Did you reach level 10 with her class with Noah or any other character?

- I believe you need to defeat the superbosses in order to obtain the remaining the remaining parts of the discussion, but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't done that yet myself.

- The Nopon smith I was missing was in Li Garte. Apparently you need Valdi in your team to make him react.

- Did you reach level 10 with her class with Noah or any other character?

- I believe you need to defeat the superbosses in order to obtain the remaining the remaining parts of the discussion, but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't done that yet myself.
- Well unfortunately, I actually found the white nopon in lower Maktha forest (sorry if that wasn't clear in my post) as well as the one in Li Garte. I'm sure I've missed hte most obvious/easy one for some reason

- I haven't yet! I had absolutely no idea that was a requirement for any quest or such, is it the only case? I'm glad I asked cause I wasn't looking for the right thing (though I would have ended up reaching lvl 10 and trigger it anyway; I went to the throne room already just in case)

- Oh I didn't think of that! I thought getting all the discussions would trigger a quest or something that make the superbosses appear (or much easier to find). The only lvl 100 I found is Ryuho (just like everyone I guess), but he has the standard UM music so it doesn't seem to be considered as a superboss which are supposedly postgame only. I'll try to find at least one of them myself then, to listen to their unique theme!

Thanks all :)

- Well unfortunately, I actually found the white nopon in lower Maktha forest (sorry if that wasn't clear in my post) as well as the one in Li Garte. I'm sure I've missed hte most obvious/easy one for some reason

- I haven't yet! I had absolutely no idea that was a requirement for any quest or such, is it the only case? I'm glad I asked cause I wasn't looking for the right thing (though I would have ended up reaching lvl 10 and trigger it anyway; I went to the throne room already just in case)

- Oh I didn't think of that! I thought getting all the discussions would trigger a quest or something that make the superbosses appear (or much easier to find). The only lvl 100 I found is Ryuho (just like everyone I guess), but he has the standard UM music so it doesn't seem to be considered as a superboss which are supposedly postgame only. I'll try to find at least one of them myself then, to listen to their unique theme!

Try in the first Ferronis Hulk, where they gave you the Nopon Register quest. Oh and there's another one in one of the Erythia islands, tied to Riku & Manana's ascension quest.

And yes, reaching level 10 with the classes is always a requirement. It probably happened naturally for you.

Try in the first Ferronis Hulk, where they gave you the Nopon Register quest. Oh and there's another one in one of the Erythia islands, tied to Riku & Manana's ascension quest.

And yes, reaching level 10 with the classes is always a requirement. It probably happened naturally for you.
I think we've listed the 4 Nopons I already found then (first Ferronis Hulk, Erythia Island, Lower Maktha Forest & Li Garte).
At this point I think I'll find the 5th randomly haha

Ohh that makes sense. That explains why the new heroes' ascension quests weren't instantly available, and my first focus with new heroes was mostly to have every character gain access to their class anyway.

(Oh and btw, the door between colony 11 and O'Virbus finally opened, I thought I had some weird glitch where it didn't occur but it just happens late in the game; what a relief!)

In that case the one you're missing is in
a secret area in Fornis region. You can access it through a tunnel located in Dannagh desert.

Thanks again for the help!
(I haven't opened the spoiler yet, I'll try one last time to find this Nopon tonight and open it if I failed)

Ryuho is one the superbosses. Four of the superbosses are already on the map from the beginning. Defeating each one gives you another piece of the Aionios's Strongest info. When you defeat all four, you can discuss the info to unlock the final fifth superboss.

Levels are a bit deceiving. One of the superbosses is level 95 while a couple of non-superboss uniques are over 100. But you'll know it was a superboss if the tombstone is different than other uniques'.

Ryuho is one the superbosses. Four of the superbosses are already on the map from the beginning. Defeating each one gives you another piece of the Aionios's Strongest info. When you defeat all four, you can discuss the info to unlock the final fifth superboss.

Levels are a bit deceiving. One of the superbosses is level 95 while a couple of non-superboss uniques are over 100. But you'll know it was a superboss if the tombstone is different than other uniques'.
Oh, thanks for the info! I've actually been confused by the "Aionios strongest" theme when listening to the soundtrack on YouTube, as it doesn't play against Ryuho. Maybe that only plays when you're about to kill one of them?

Oh, thanks for the info! I've actually been confused by the "Aionios strongest" theme when listening to the soundtrack on YouTube, as it doesn't play against Ryuho. Maybe that only plays when you're about to kill one of them?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it only plays for the final superboss while the other four have the regular unique theme which is similar to what X did.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it only plays for the final superboss while the other four have the regular unique theme which is similar to what X did.
Ooookay so I just learned something about X, and my hopes of listening to this theme ingame without doing a proper 100% are pretty much gone lol, but thanks again 🙏

Well, I’ve continued to sink time into the game. I think my complaints are well-documented, but I’ve tried to put my disappointment aside and enjoy it.

And I’ve had good success - my issues remain but I thought I’d jot down a few additional thoughts. They’re mostly positive too!

- I do think XC3 has probably the best side content. There’s a lot of voice acting in the ascension quests and most of them tell pretty decent stories. Ashera’s was a highlight for me, with Fiona’s not too far behind. Miyabi’s quest was wholesome and surprisingly enjoyable too. By introducing you to these characters and colonies through story/exploration, requiring you to do a hero quest and then side quests to eventually unlock the ascension mission, you do get invested. The side content feels a lot more in step with the main story and the themes the team is trying to tackle as a whole, than the side content in the other games. Now, I do have a soft spot for the blade quests in XC2 and I do miss the goofier scenarios and broader scope in that game (there’s no setting up a dessert shop or recruiting an all-female entourage here). The second game’s story also left me more satisfied, so XC2’s blade quests were more the icing on the cake - where as they feel more integral in XC3. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. But I’m keeping this positive so I’ll just say I appreciate the effort put into these. I thought it was a really cool detail that the hero character will comment on events within non-voiced side stories that lead into their ascension quests, Helping the kids in Colony Mu takes a long time and it’s not voiced, but Diona will comment on the kids after you help each one with a couple of voice lines. Great stuff.

- XC3‘s world has grown on me a little bit in terms of exploration. I do still miss the denser maps, towns and sheer variation in XC2, but there is a lot to appreciate. Many areas still feel too big for me, but I’d like to shout out Erythia Sea. It’s huge, but getting to the pockets of smart design doesn’t take long in the boat. So you’re hopping off every few seconds onto a landmass that might be quite large, it might be small, it might connect to others and so on. It’s got to be one of the best areas in the series. It’s particularly strong when you look at the whole region. The swamps, the shipyard, the sea, prison, castle, etc. Unlike the Fornis Region, which feels like a bunch of biomes glued together, it feels like a really seamless exploration experience. I’ve had a lot of fun exploring that area. I’d also like to mention the cool vertical design of the Aetia Region too.

- I loved tinkering with my party in XC2 and as I’ve delved into XC3 I’ve begun to enjoy that side of the game too. Mastering different classes to slowly build up a character with various different arts is a lot of fun. I won’t bother with all of them. Some classes don’t interest me at all, but I’ll master a handful on each character so I’ve got some flexibility. To be honest, I’m just gearing everyone up for the challenge battles, just so I can get some cool unlocks. I’m not sure the incentives are going to be as good as in XC2, but I’d like to be in decent shape when the update drops. I still don’t think the combat is as moreish as in XC2 for me personally, but I’ve had fun toying around with different compositions.

- The music continues to grow on me. I do think the field themes just lack that magic that the other games have, but there’s some great stuff there. The vocal themes are beautiful, and the battle tracks are brilliant. And it’s not that I didn’t think this was the case before, but I’ve warmed to everything a bit more.

So yeah, I don’t think I’ve been turned round on anything, but my appreciation has grown.

I’m not sure how much longer I’ll play. I’ve still got some stuff I want to do, but I don’t feel excited or compelled to do everything like I did with XC2. It’s a pity NG+ just feels utterly pointless.

XC2 gave you a bunch more blades (who had heart to hearts), an extra accessory slot, vendors with special gear and a way to upgrade Poppi without messing around with Tiger! Tiger!.

And of course this was before we got the Land of Challenge, which gave us Shulk, Fiora and Elma. I expect to get the colour swaps, the swimwear we’ve already seen, maybe M’s outfit… but it’s not as enticing as the aforementioned protagonist unlocks.

So you wanted that extra accessory slot, that rare gear and a way to fast rack Poppi to godhood for those challenges. That doesn’t really exist in XC3. NG+ offers nothing and unless the devs are remaining tight-lipped for dramatic effect, I don't see the rewards stacking up to XC2 either. But I hope I'm wrong.

It's funny because XC2 feels more like a series finale than XC3 in some respects.

For the 7 Nopons, one doesn't appear until you do a certain hero's ascension quest.
Specifically Riku & Manana's.

I think there's only one discussion spot for the "Aionious' Strongest" quest. You get the remaining 4 discussion points by actually going out and beating the superbosses.

Almost finish the game now and Ghondor is the most poorly written character in this game so far, despite having a lot of potentials

The in-game hero designs had been so good. I don’t know how I feel about this one. Her design might need to grow on me. Ironcially, it’s another “guest” artist (giving Xenoblade 2 flash back here). I think Monolith Soft should just stick with their in-house designers. They did a wonderful job on the game. I don’t think we need more “guest” artists.

What bothers me the most about these guest artists is that the work that got in the game look worst than their portfolio. Their own work tends to look better than what got into the game. This happened to XC2 quite a bit. Not every artists obviously. Some artists really did the best they could and are comparable or even better their portfolio but most of them?… Look worst.

I mean you can just take a look at this PALOW person and they could’ve picked any of those designs from their twitter page, but nope we got this weird moe red skeletal green PlayStation triangle chicken lady. It’s weird to me because shouldn’t you be putting your best foot forward to a product that could potentially reach MILLIONS of people and be immortalize in culture? idgi.

15724_2-1.jpg

15724_1.jpg

118786558_3601072793288912_1747444443587838970_n.jpg

I mean I understand that some artists do keep their best work to themselves and also they can get hired because of their portfolio but at the same time you can get hired by your work on another product esp if it’s known/well regarded. Like your art can still be appreciated on another person’s work.

It left a sour taste in my mouth because I got an impression that some of these artists simply don’t care about Xenoblade that’s why designs are questionable at times. They did it because it’s just another job. Monolith should really just stick with their in-house artists simply because they are more passionate. Although, PALOW said he’s “a fan of the series” and that he was “deeply moved” he could design a character but like it’s not showing up on paper I’m sorry. I don’t know what to believe because I don’t think anyone would say anything negative about a client esp when you have your work in it. Same reason I don’t expect the voice actors to come out and say the game sucks.

Their in-house artist is more than good enough. Strictly speaking about artistic skill level alone not “design”. You can just look at the heroes art. They are technically better drawn than Saito’s work even. On a technical level, the shading, color, perspective, pose dynamism, anatomy are top notch. Saito‘s character portraits are actually a bit flat and stiff. He’s gotten better with gestures on XC3 for sure, but it still doesn’t look as well as Monolith’s own artists. A curious thing about Saito tho is that his BEST work/design is definitely with Xenoblade. He took it very seriously. I can see through his work. That’s very good. That’s what we like to see. Monolith managed to snag a free lance artist and somehow got his best work on the game. It doesn’t always go this way as I’ve elaborated. It probably put more pressure on him since he’s the main designer so he kind of has to do his best, but still I’ve seen other artists that are “main character designer” and it was not their best work lol so..yeah.

I say this as an outsider looking in. Art is subjective (for the most part). A passionate work can still end up being bad. Although, I would say rarely so but it can happen. I guess it tis..fate.

You're going waaaaayyyy too far here. Slow it down a bit.

You just don't like the design. Monolith and the artist who designed it do like it, and you don't. It's as simple as that.

This does not mean monolith should stick with their in-house artists; they're going to keep inviting artists they like because that's what they want to do.

The fact that you're implying this artist isn't "taking it seriously" is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, the word you're looking for is "worse", not "worst". You said it twice, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

When you say "these games"... you mean you're new to Xenoblade?
Come on, don't just dismiss their criticism just because you don't like it. They bring up several points. Talk about those instead of just asking if they're new to Xenoblade.

- I do think XC3 has probably the best side content. There’s a lot of voice acting in the ascension quests and most of them tell pretty decent stories. Ashera’s was a highlight for me, with Fiona’s not too far behind. Miyabi’s quest was wholesome and surprisingly enjoyable too. By introducing you to these characters and colonies through story/exploration, requiring you to do a hero quest and then side quests to eventually unlock the ascension mission, you do get invested. The side content feels a lot more in step with the main story and the themes the team is trying to tackle as a whole, than the side content in the other games. Now, I do have a soft spot for the blade quests in XC2 and I do miss the goofier scenarios and broader scope in that game (there’s no setting up a dessert shop or recruiting an all-female entourage here). The second game’s story also left me more satisfied, so XC2’s blade quests were more the icing on the cake - where as they feel more integral in XC3. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. But I’m keeping this positive so I’ll just say I appreciate the effort put into these. I thought it was a really cool detail that the hero character will comment on events within non-voiced side stories that lead into their ascension quests, Helping the kids in Colony Mu takes a long time and it’s not voiced, but Diona will comment on the kids after you help each one with a couple of voice lines. Great stuff.

Yeah, like, based on some of the comments in the other thread, I'm glad I left the majority of the ascension quests until after I finished the main story.

The funny thing is, when I first started playing the game, I was doing the hero quests and thinking, "wtf are people talking about, these are way worse than the blade quests in 2". In a way, I still feel that way because of the lack of diversity.

But the writing in most of the ascension quests is astoundingly good, and the way the colonies evolve and develop relationships with each other is so satisfying.

For me, the start of chapter five was almost profound in its depiction of natural human life as being magical. Seeing our existence to these kids who are total strangers to it made me think about it in a way I had never done before. What I love about the majority of the ascension quests and late-game sidequests is that they introduce so much nuance that moment of revelation. We only really saw that in the main story with N and M and their representation of the dark side of love: Possessiveness, obsession, objectification. I was kind of shocked by this considering that the game is suggesting that our One True Romantic Pairing actually had this latent darkness inside them the entire time. Which is true to life, but not true to fictionalised romance most of the time.
In the main story, the cast see the city (and by extension: our world) as a utopia that they will fight for, but the side content reveals the cracks. This is most explicit when Sena talks about how she thought parents would naturally have a strong, unbreakable bond of love with their children, and Monica just walks in and is like, "lol nope".
We see that the city is riven with political conflict and fundamental disagreement. People are unable to choose their path in life due to the circumstances of their birth. Society is unequal and has hierarchies that can dictate your ability to find happiness, either in your chosen career or your love life. You can fail to achieve your aspirations and have to live with your failure.

All of this feeds back into the main core of the game: The endless now vs. the uncertain future. Unlike most stories of this kind, the characters aren't fighting for a happily ever after. The world they intend to bring into existence is deeply flawed, and for some people, far crueller than what currently exists. But unlike Aionios, it has the potential to grow, and evolve. To change and become fairer. But potential is all it is, and our characters are unable to realise that potential in their lifetimes. They can only be one chain in a very long process.

But there is that enormous caveat that exists whenever I talk about this game:
It hinges on the ending, on the decision, on the costs of it. None of which I thought was handled well at all. If all the side content feeds into the question of the endless now, then how that question is answered is crucial. For me, it didn't land, and so the potential is squandered. The emotional gutpunch that the game had been building ended up to being a love tap.

Eh, but to continue on the positive stuff:
In miniature, the Colony 9 farming quest deals with the difficulty of societal progress beautifully. It is incredibly fucking hard to grow those godamn potatoes. You have to overcome the resistance of others, form alliances with former enemies, and persevere after failure upon failure. Those potatoes represent so much, godamn.

And I loved a line in Triton's hero quest: He talks about all the people he's known through his long life, and their eccentricities and passions. And then laments that, for the most part, their entire lives were consumed with feeding the flame clock. I felt that.

Addendum 2 the above:
I'm greedy and want more. The more the game satisfies me, the more unrealistic my desires become. I start to think, "there had to have lot of people who have had their limbs blown clean off during these battles but still lived, how do the colonies treat people who are now unable to fight?" "Sexual crime is not a thing that exists in the system of Aionios but almost certainly does in the City, I wonder how our party would react to that". lolll

But to address the New Game Plus point: I'm the opposite, I resented that 2 had locked away stuff behind NG+ and I'm glad 3 doesn't. Chrono Trigger is the only time New Game Plus ever appealed to me.

Come on, don't just dismiss their criticism just because you don't like it. They bring up several points. Talk about those instead of just asking if they're new to Xenoblade.
I wasn't dismissing because it's not that I didn't like the rest of the stuff they wrote. I was asking, sincerely, just out of mere curiosity for how they were referring to the series as a whole. Don't jump to conclusions.

Guess I should've asked better, though.

And on top of all this, in a game that feels a bit lacking in plot, a quest where the City is attacked and people are turned into living statues is a side story!

It even features a boss who can freeze you in place, incentivising character switching… something the game never really does otherwise.

M being the only other notable example of an enemy doing something a bit different (though I’ve still got a lot of side content to experience).

I‘ve trying to mix in some of the main party side stories in among the ascension quests, and I finally did Sena’s quest tonight…

… and I’m playing this mission, which is full of cutscenes, builds up a main antagonist, puts our only safe haven in danger, offers some unique imagery...

And I’m just thinking, why is this stuff relegated to side content? Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that you can find quality, meaningful content off the beaten path.

But as someone who felt there wasn’t enough plot in XC3, I think bugger, I wish they could have worked this in somewhere.

It’s really solid and could have been expanded upon in some fashion. I don’t think it would have fit into the main story in its current incarnation, but still.

I haven’t done Eunie’s side story yet, so no X fight for me in Origin. And when you beat Y, there’s no cutscene. Crys feels haphazardly thrown in too.

And then you look at how slight chapter six and seven in terms of actual plot beats - the former being a few boss fights and a traipse through a small, linear snow area and the latter being a triforce hunt and an overly long dungeon - and you kind of wonder if Monolith Soft just didn’t quite know what to do with all the content they’d built.

The plot of XC3 often feels quite modular, as in, it’s built out of chunks, particularly with how they lean into hero quests on the critical path to try and pace the story.

Having something like an attack on the City would have felt like a surprise, a bit of a twist. It’s novel and unexpected.

And that’s the reason I like the prison sequence, it’s just really different. Not much to write home about in terms of gameplay, but it felt spontaneous. The game does start to ramp up from the castle infiltration onwards, but before then, it’s very much ‘reach new region, meet hero, do quest, exit region’ - and it’s quite heavy handed early on with Ethel, Valdi, R&M and Juniper all being sandwiched in, in a similar way.

XC3 does mix it up in two spots. One is the aforementioned prison sequence. Think you’re about to escape? Nope, here’s a bunch of boss fights, story revelations and big emotional beats. It’s unexpectedly takes you in a totally different direction.

And then when you break off to attack the annihilator, encountering the mech duo, N, robot Melia and the like. It felt like that early formula was being broken in a good way.

My affection for the game is growing quite a lot. It’s just now, as I experience this great side stuff, I look at the main story and just think I wish they could have thrown a bit of it in there.

Yeahhhh the Side Stories being optional is wack. Eunie in particular seems like it originally meant for late chapter 3/early chapter 4 but got forced out of the main story, it's the only way I can rationalize the party being genuinely shocked that the evil Consuls are evil post-Keves Castle

Yeahhhh the Side Stories being optional is wack. Eunie in particular seems like it originally meant for late chapter 3/early chapter 4 but got forced out of the main story, it's the only way I can rationalize the party being genuinely shocked that the evil Consuls are evil post-Keves Castle
Actually I just had a thought

Monolith said something about how Xenoblade X initially had a typical, non-silent main character and a more robust, linear narrative, but those were scrapped mid-development as they decided to make the game more MMO-like and a lot of the narrative and literally even the MC didn't fit the new structure of the gameplay.

I wonder if a similar thing happened here?

It could explain some of the weirdness like important story beats and lore being locked behind side quests, gameplay and narrative of the side quests themselves not fitting the path of the main story (all the backtracking not making narrative sense, I mean), the wonkiness of Colony Omega's events, and maybe even the somewhat vague and unfinished feeling of the final dungeon/boss.

Colony Omega especially had me feeling like the game had sorta reached rush-job status at that point, like they were trying to cram in several arcs that they just didn't have time to properly flesh out but they already had the characters built and integrated into the gameplay so they had to do something with them. But if these encounters and character arcs were initially meant to be occurring more naturally in the main narrative, but then the whole Hero quest loop of "explore to find colony, turn Hero, beat Consul" was something decided on later-ish, I could see a lot of what was intended to be "main story" being shuffled into sidequests instead.

I'm probably really reaching but I wanted to get that idea off my mind before it ate me alive. 😅

Actually I just had a thought

Monolith said something about how Xenoblade X initially had a typical, non-silent main character and a more robust, linear narrative, but those were scrapped mid-development as they decided to make the game more MMO-like and a lot of the narrative and literally even the MC didn't fit the new structure of the gameplay.

I wonder if a similar thing happened here?

It could explain some of the weirdness like important story beats and lore being locked behind side quests, gameplay and narrative of the side quests themselves not fitting the path of the main story (all the backtracking not making narrative sense, I mean), the wonkiness of Colony Omega's events, and maybe even the somewhat vague and unfinished feeling of the final dungeon/boss.

Colony Omega especially had me feeling like the game had sorta reached rush-job status at that point, like they were trying to cram in several arcs that they just didn't have time to properly flesh out but they already had the characters built and integrated into the gameplay so they had to do something with them. But if these encounters and character arcs were initially meant to be occurring more naturally in the main narrative, but then the whole Hero quest loop of "explore to find colony, turn Hero, beat Consul" was something decided on later-ish, I could see a lot of what was intended to be "main story" being shuffled into sidequests instead.

I'm probably really reaching but I wanted to get that idea off my mind before it ate me alive. 😅
I personally think it was a "if I had more time I would've written a shorter letter" kind of deal. The game itself is fucking huge as-is, the main story is like 50-70 hours including all the Side Stories. By the end of development, they probably didn't have enough time to edit down cutscenes and areas for the sake of pacing so they tore off bits of the main story and made them """""optional"""" content.

I personally think it was a "if I had more time I would've written a shorter letter" kind of deal. The game itself is fucking huge as-is, the main story is like 50-70 hours including all the Side Stories. By the end of development, they probably didn't have enough time to edit down cutscenes and areas for the sake of pacing so they tore off bits of the main story and made them """""optional"""" content.
Yeah, I could definitely see that.

And if the DLC comes out and as speculated it's a prequel that gives context and answers to a lot of the questions people had after the ending, I'll believe it even more.

I took it more as Monolithsoft’s attempt at BioWare Mass Effect-style side quests were doing them has an impact on the main story/progression.

Personally I don’t mind if much of the content like this is found in side-quests. It gives incentives for the player to actuslly do them. This feels leagues ahead of the side quests found in XC2.

I haven’t done Eunie’s side story yet, so no X fight for me in Origin. And when you beat Y, there’s no cutscene. Crys feels haphazardly thrown in too.

Wait, X doesn’t show up and have a boss fight in Origin if you don’t do Eunie’s side story? Wonder if that’s why she doesn’t really get a cutscene after.

I was very glad to not have to sit through a death cutscene for X.

Them taking the absolute worst consul (and character) in the game and putting her in the most important and emotional cutscenes is the most bizarre decision of the entire franchise. It's like if Akhos and Patroka showed up in 2 as Rex says"... She's right there"

I have to say I'm finding a lot of joy in watching people's art of the adult cast of 2. I'm so happy for them <3

And on top of all this, in a game that feels a bit lacking in plot, a quest where the City is attacked and people are turned into living statues is a side story!

It even features a boss who can freeze you in place, incentivising character switching… something the game never really does otherwise.

M being the only other notable example of an enemy doing something a bit different (though I’ve still got a lot of side content to experience).

I‘ve trying to mix in some of the main party side stories in among the ascension quests, and I finally did Sena’s quest tonight…

… and I’m playing this mission, which is full of cutscenes, builds up a main antagonist, puts our only safe haven in danger, offers some unique imagery...

And I’m just thinking, why is this stuff relegated to side content? Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that you can find quality, meaningful content off the beaten path.

But as someone who felt there wasn’t enough plot in XC3, I think bugger, I wish they could have worked this in somewhere.

It’s really solid and could have been expanded upon in some fashion. I don’t think it would have fit into the main story in its current incarnation, but still.

And then you look at how slight chapter six and seven in terms of actual plot beats - the former being a few boss fights and a traipse through a small, linear snow area and the latter being a triforce hunt and an overly long dungeon - and you kind of wonder if Monolith Soft just didn’t quite know what to do with all the content they’d built.

The plot of XC3 often feels quite modular, as in, it’s built out of chunks, particularly with how they lean into hero quests on the critical path to try and pace the story.

Having something like an attack on the City would have felt like a surprise, a bit of a twist. It’s novel and unexpected.

And that’s the reason I like the prison sequence, it’s just really different. Not much to write home about in terms of gameplay, but it felt spontaneous. The game does start to ramp up from the castle infiltration onwards, but before then, it’s very much ‘reach new region, meet hero, do quest, exit region’ - and it’s quite heavy handed early on with Ethel, Valdi, R&M and Juniper all being sandwiched in, in a similar way.

XC3 does mix it up in two spots. One is the aforementioned prison sequence. Think you’re about to escape? Nope, here’s a bunch of boss fights, story revelations and big emotional beats. It’s unexpectedly takes you in a totally different direction.

And then when you break off to attack the annihilator, encountering the mech duo, N, robot Melia and the like. It felt like that early formula was being broken in a good way.

My affection for the game is growing quite a lot. It’s just now, as I experience this great side stuff, I look at the main story and just think I wish they could have thrown a bit of it in there.

I agree. At the very least the main cast's side stories should have been in the main story. Sena and Taion's stories especially. Like... they feel so important to the main party I can't believe they are optional. I'm glad I did them before beating the game. Some of these like Ashera's seem pretty relevant to worldbuilding as well. (I get flashbacks to the main antagonist of Future Connected's story being wrapped up in a sidequest lol)

I wonder if it was a case of them looking down the barrel of a 150-hour game and they were looking for ways to shorten the "campaign experience" and make it more concise for the "average" player.

I say this without any game development knowledge so I might (probably) be talking out of my ass...

Last edited:
I agree. At the very least the main cast's side stories should have been in the main story. Sena and Taion's stories especially. Like... they feel so important to the main party I can't believe they are optional. I'm glad I did them before beating the game. Some of these like Ashera's seem pretty relevant to worldbuilding as well. (I get flashbacks to the main antagonist of Future Connected's story being wrapped up in a sidequest lol)

I wonder if it was a case of them looking down the barrel of a 150-hour game and they were looking for ways to shorten the "campaign experience" and make it more concise for the "average" player.

I say this without any game development knowledge so I might (probably) be talking out of my ass...
I ain't either, but that makes a lot of sense. Would explain the main cast's reaction to the revelations by X in Eunie's side story, which would only make sense if they happened earlier on. Same for other side stuff.

Has there been any more information about the DLC from Japanese Twitter? I haven't checked since they showed the swimsuits. Also I'm losing my goddam mind waiting for this stupid Collector's Edition to go up.

One major mark against a prequel DLC IMO is if the key art is hinting at playable shulk and rex i would much rather play as the shulk and rex we already know and not some aionios copies

My progress continues.

I’ve now beaten all the super bosses. I found them all quite easy to be honest. I beat four of them, back-to-back, over the span of about 25 minutes, first try. That’s not to say I’m disappointed or didn’t enjoy it.

I had Noah with FMJ, Mio as Zephyr, Eunie and Taion as Signifers, Lanz as Lone Exile, Sena as Ogre and of course, Ashera.

All classes level 20, Mio and Sena with nopon-upgraded weapons, and the latter with a break brooch.

Building a team that can crush everything is part of the fun. My gems are pretty average, so I might, if I can be bothered, try and upgrade them ahead of the incoming challenge battles. I wanted to build a team strong enough to beat everything in the game, but also to ensure that I can get the challenge battle unlocks. I think I’ve achieved that (provided some unlocks aren’t tied to some insane challenges).

Everyone’s got a smattering of level 20 classes that they can pick from, so while there’s still some classes to level cap, I don’t feel too inclined to do it to be honest.

The other big progress I’ve made is finally wrapping up all the party side stories.

A few posts back I said I was baffled that Sena’s quest wasn’t integrated into the main story in some way, as it feels really meaningful.

Well, having done them now, I’m even more baffled. Eunie’s quest reveals another outpost, lifts the lid on the colony rank system and pits you up against X.

These aren’t small things. She even references the bloody ‘dog tag’ she picked up in the main story, finally revealing her past to the party. Eunie picking that up and keeping it to herself builds up some good tension that the plot never uses outside of their fight with D - and even then it’s not explicit.

Finding out that the colony ranks were imposed by moebius as a way of motivating everyone to kill, so they could eventually reap the rewards is great. Yeah you can kind of piece that together yourself, but to have that gleefully spelled out by X is a really good moment.

And the fact that - yes @YoboD - she doesn’t appear in Origin if you don’t do this quest is just another, why? After the quest, I went and beat her in Origin and Eunie says something to her in the pre-battle cutscene, it’s not much, but it just connects it back in a nice way. Though I’m not sure if this is the reason she doesn’t get a cutscene after her death, as Y doesn’t either and he’s mandatory.

And then there’s Taion’s quest… where do I begin with this one. It not only develops his character, it broadens out the world, introduces a new colony, a series of caves, unique monsters and so on.

Taion interacting with Nimue and eventually convincing her to stay behind and protect the colony is great. This quest shows that Nimue will always be inquisitive, with dreams of seeing the outside world. And seeing Taion successfully leverage his knowledge of the ‘old Nimue’ to protect her in a way Isurd never managed is such a good piece of storytelling.

Did you ever wonder what the Ouroboros before our party did in the world? Yeah, me too. And here, tucked away in an optional side quest, is a hint of that. A lost colony, heavily implied to have been freed from the flame clock system by heroes past, has lived in peace for generations. The City is a monument to what they were trying to achieve, but this is an example of them actually having an impact in the world of Aionios. There’s next to no evidence of this throughout the main game.

And of course, I can’t forget about the colony itself. I must confess, I didn’t expect much from it as the quest started to ramp up. I’d found myself in so many boring, cookie cutter caves in XC3, I didn’t anticipate I’d get anything truly memorable, but I was glad to be totally wrong. There’s a visual wonder to The Lost Colony - partially because it’s riffing on Uraya, but also because in a world where everything feels a bit dull, it actually looks fantastical. It was nice to reach a colony that didn’t have a commander you could recruit, but just a regular person instead. I was a little bit scared I wouldn’t be able to access it after the side story, but thankfully it’s available to wander through.

The quest even saw two giant mechs fighting each other in real time and you can watch them from a cliff…

… again, it’s crazy that none of this stuff made it into the main story. I take @BradenAndEggs point about game length and I suspect that may have been the fear.

My problem is, if you look at what is in the main story - or what isn’t when you look at the final two chapters - this stuff is either a lot better or could have helped fill a void. I don’t see why some of these couldn’t have been weaved into the Origin Shard hunt at the end in some capacity,

Lanz probably had the weakest quest of the bunch, but not because it’s bad, but because it does feel more like a personal story than the others. The others are personal stories yes, but they also have really big world revelations in them.

In terms of side stories -

Taion/Sena > Mio/Eunie > Lanz > Noah

I will also say one thing. I miss heart to hearts. I’m not sure they could have worked in this game where all the party shares a similar age, life experience and so on, but I do miss them. While you couldn’t have had Pyra and Nia giggling over Rex wetting his pants when he was a young boy, or Morag and Zeke debating the importance of duty or Mythra telling Morag to ignore her station and treat Niall as her brother, I still miss them.

I do miss that mixture of ages, upbringings, outlooks on life, etc. that the other games had. XC3 kind of needs to take everyone on the same journey for the story to work though.

One major mark against a prequel DLC IMO is if the key art is hinting at playable shulk and rex i would much rather play as the shulk and rex we already know and not some aionios copies

I don’t see how the devs could offer up a satisfying answer as to why Rex and Shulk aren’t part of XC3, while also saying they’re part of the flame clock system.

If they are in the world of XC3 but we just don’t see them, that’s lame.

<snip>

I don’t see how the devs could offer up a satisfying answer as to why Rex and Shulk aren’t part of XC3, while also saying they’re part of the flame clock system.

If they are in the world of XC3 but we just don’t see them, that’s lame.
I think Rex or Shulk were never put into the reincarnation system to begin with and are truly dead. We know Shulk lived till 80 resisting Moebius and helped found the 2nd City, so the part calling him a "Kevesi soldier" who was once under a Flame Clock feels like a case of history getting muddled over time. Or if not, it could simply mean Y hadn't yet iterated the system to where it is at the time of the story - given that Homecomings weren't invented when N and M became Moebius, that's also entirely possible.

I'm bearish on Shulk and Rex showing up in the DLC, though it would be interesting if a prequel campaign had City folk using a cradle to bring them into Aionios on the premise that the legendary heroes will surely be able to destroy Moebius, only to find that they're regular schmucks whose swordsmanship isn't anything special

My progress continues.

I’ve now beaten all the super bosses. I found them all quite easy to be honest. I beat four of them, back-to-back, over the span of about 25 minutes, first try. That’s not to say I’m disappointed or didn’t enjoy it.

I had Noah with FMJ, Mio as Zephyr, Eunie and Taion as Signifers, Lanz as Lone Exile, Sena as Ogre and of course, Ashera.

All classes level 20, Mio and Sena with nopon-upgraded weapons, and the latter with a break brooch.

It's funny how I had the exact same team composition except for Incursor in place of Full Metal Jaguar, even to the brooch.

I hope they introduce something in the DLC to change the meta of the combats, because right now is limited to break the boss (reason why Sena class is so good) and press the chain attack button to win. The final superboss melted for me in hard mode from 80% health to none with a 28 million points chain attack... it's pretty absurd. And I don't even have a single gem over level 7 except for the Critics multiplier one.

So with this ending, and everything. I think it was just fantastic.

Now, it's really clear that the main cast definitely were descended from the original parties.

Mio is obviously Nia and Rex's Daughter. She has really the kindness of Rex and all of Nia's physical attributes.

Sena could either be Pyra and Rex's daughter to the flames motif, or it could also be Bridgits

Eunie, is likely Melia's daughter due to her small wings.

Taion is a bit harder to place, but I think he could be Morags son. Certainly has the temperament, and he looks a like Nial.

Lanz is definitely Reyns offspring. Which is really interesting, it means that Reyn ended up with a Machina partner.

And Noah, is a bit harder to place. However, I really think he is Sharla's son. He has her kindness, hair color, and temperament. And he certainly looks a lot like Juju.

Now, it's really clear that the main cast definitely were descended from the original parties.
I really don't get that from the party. Outside of Mio I don't see any real strong connections with party members from 1/2. Sena and Eunie have some small features that make them visually similar to other characters but not really much outside of that. The rest just sounds like character archtypes, which seems just like wishful thinking tying them to specific characters.

Plus if Enuie was Melia's daughter then her appearance in the opening and post credit cutscenes make no sense. Why would a princess be out and about in a city square during the queen's anniversary?

Nice summary of the various pros and cons of the two big story DLC possibilities from Luxin. I do think there might be something to that compromise idea he mentions at the end to have it take place after, but not far after, and have playable flashbacks to Aionios as the party talk to the relevant people and they remember things.

Just finished this and wanted to share some thoughts. Overall left feeling a bit disappointed, the game feels a bit middling to me in the sense that it never reaches the highs of XC1 or 2, but it never really reaches the lows either, it's just kinda average.

Characters while definitely a big improvement over XC1, they don't hold a candle to the XC2 cast. Kinda bummed me that aside Noah and Mio the rest of the main cast are just kind of there and don't get a whole lot of meaningful time. Each character kind of gets their one moment (Lanz with Joran, Eunie with the murder, Sena with Shinia, Taion with his officer), but that's it. Where the game really falls flat is with its antagonists though. Really hate it when JRPGs do the whole "villain in the shadows" thing, because it means you end up fighting a powerful nobody that's had close to no development the entire game. I was also just a huge fan of how XC2 present Malos and Jin, basically throwing them in your face and having the constantly taunt you the whole game. Made those final showdowns all the more sweet and well deserved.

Story was a bit of a letdown, but more so is the story progression. When you summarise it, it's kind of pathetic. You spend essentially half the game just running towards the City finding samey colonies and characters on the way, then you sidetrack to destroy a cannon, get to the city, infiltrate a prison, have all the big reveals happen at once, do what is basically a side quest with Y, a fetch quest ala Wind Waker in the final chapter and then finish it off with a dungeon. The big reveals just fell really flat too. Such an interesting premise - why are Melia and Nia here, why do the worlds seem to have fused, why are Keves and Agnus made to fight, why are their lifespans only 10 years, what are the Moebius? So when the answer basically boils down to "Emo life force decided to freeze the world cuz people have anxiety over the uncertain future and the rest just kinna happened cuz", that's a pretty big letdown, in fact its probably the worst explanation they could come up with. The stuff with N and M was handeled excellently, but the entire rest of the story? Didn't cut it for me. Also weird to what they delegated to side content - hearing you guys talk about how X appears if you do Eunies side story was interesting to me; I was just wondering why X literally doesn't appear in the story again after Mios homecoming because I never did that.

Combat was a bit of a fusion of the first two games, but I wasn't a fan. They introduce so many aspects so quickly and then like nothing for the remaining 90% of the game (the opposite of XC2). It's really overwhelming and takes a while to actually learn how everything works. Positional arts seemed kind of stupid, ain't no one got time to sacrifice auto-attacks to change positions when you're constantly art cancelling. It worked in XC1 because you attacked while moving, but not here. I literally just chose all the non-positional arts for the second half of the game and never looked back. Combat is really one-note though. Basically boils down to Fusion arts to get interlink lv 3 > interlink with Noah for best damage & cancel arts into each other until approaching limit > Chain attack or Origin Sword > repeat. Even the whole Break > Smash sequence isn't all that relevant. You spend half your time fighting watching chain attack cutscenes and not actually doing anything. As frustrating as XC2s combat was to learn, the whole elemental tree stuff for certain field effects was a lot more engaging and actually required thought. But realistically, this series doesn't have particularly enjoyable combat in general and basic enemy fights take way too long. Surely I'm not the only person that literally runs past every single non-boss fight in every Xenoblade game? Benefits and exp are just so small, and enemies are way too numerous and combat too uninteresting to even bother. I realised that by playing on Normal the only difference was that fights took 3x longer than on easy (which was still too long), so I turned that shit down about 10 hours into the game.

World design was a huuge letdown. XC1 had you ascending two titans of wildly different environments, XC2 had you travelling between living continents and interacting with different races and political figures. Meanwhile XC3 has you travelling across flat land to a big sword meeting colonies that are all essentially the same, with the same aethetics, same looking characters and races and that's it. The game just doesn't feel grand or on a world scale, it feels small if anything because no real focus is ever given to the world or its inhabitants, it's just "military forces" the game. Some of the environments that are left to the endgame are actually fairly interesting, but barely anything along the main mission path is. It also means that it's just not that enjoyable to explore environments either.

Side quests are an area where the game does deserve some praise. XC1 had heart to hearts, and 2 had blade quests which were all pretty decent, but generally unlock requirements were far too excessive and I just found them completely out of reach. The equivalents in Hero quests and the like are far more interesting and actually doable here which was nice. The average side quests did seem more interesting on too, but still not really worth doing. Main thing is just that the rest of the game didn't hook me enough to really ever want to engage in the side content which was a shame. While I do want to experience some of it, by the time I reached chapter 5 or so, I just wanted to be done with the game and the remaining 15 hours just exhausted all my interest in continuing the game post-credits.

Overall I did enjoy the game, after all it's still a Xenoblade game. Even if objectively better than XC1 in most ways, it's probably the least enjoyable entry in the trilogy for me because of story and environments. XC2 just really stands so tall to me, it's so bold and knows exactly what its trying to be, and the highs it reaches are superb (even if plenty of shitty design choices also make it have some of the lowest lows in the series). I'd rate the games XC2 >> XC1 > XC3.

Just beat the game. Thought the ending worked very well emotionally speaking, but would've probably worked even better without the last dungeon which is a bit of a drag. The overall themes of the game were very interesting, and as always with a Takahashi game, I think I really need to sit down and reflect on them a bit, go (re)read the works of philosophers and theologians to put everything in perspective. But I kinda agree with what is said above : even though I liked the story, the progression could've been better done. I love that it doesn't try to answer every question though, it's something that more games should learn from.

The game's absolutely beautiful, way above 2 especially in portable mode, but I had some issues with character animations in some cutscenes, which were a bit too robotic (like characters standing still and then going straight into the running animation). I love that they took the time to address the mouth sync issue with the English dub. It shows how much care they put into these games even though I assume they must be made on some budget constrains.

The combat system is good, way better than 1, but not as good as 2 : it's easier to learn, yes, but it lacks a bit of the chaos of the last one, with combats that get more complex over time and almost look like a rythm game by the end of it. At least people won't complain about too many tutorials here. Musically speaking I'd say it's also a bit under the other two mainline games (but still way above X), with a bit less memorable overworld themes (it's still way above most games, mind you).

I'd have a hard time ranking these games, despite some flaws Xenoblade 2 is still the best one, but 3 is probably above 1 and X. Speaking of Xenoblade 2, the inclusion of the picture at the end of the game surely wasn't a good choice, and I really really hope that the three kids are either kids Rex had with one women, not three different women, or at least kids they adopted.

Speaking of Xenoblade 2, the inclusion of the picture at the end of the game surely wasn't a good choice, and I really really hope that the three kids are either kids Rex had with one women, not three different women, or at least kids they adopted.
What exactly is so wrong with that to you? Why does it matter if Rex had kids with just one of them or all three, and why would it be any different if some were adopted? There’s nothing wrong with poly relationships or having kids with multiple partners.

What exactly is so wrong with that to you? Why does it matter if Rex had kids with just one of them or all three, and why would it be any different if some were adopted? There’s nothing wrong with poly relationships or having kids with multiple partners.
Idk to be honest, in my head the adopted kids were more like raised by them as a group of friends rather than some kind of Mormon family. However, you’re right, there’s nothing wrong in that scenario between consenting adults, I guess, but given what was shown in XC2 it kinda looks like three girls are in love with Rex and he took advantage of the situation ? Really, it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It just bothers me that some people saw this picture and used it to describe Rex as some kind of « harem chad » which I found misogynistic.

Idk to be honest, in my head the adopted kids were more like raised by them as a group of friends rather than some kind of Mormon family. However, you’re right, there’s nothing wrong in that scenario between consenting adults, I guess, but given what was shown in XC2 it kinda looks like three girls are in love with Rex and he took advantage of the situation ? Really, it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It just bothers me that some people saw this picture and used it to describe Rex as some kind of « harem chad » which I found misogynistic.
I don’t care for people describing it like that either—I’d much rather people be recognizing it as positive polyamorous representation than calling Rex a “gigachad” and similar bullshit—but in the game itself there’s nothing to suggest that the relationship isn’t fully mutual and positive. Not that we’re exactly given much to go on, but it’s a bigger leap in logic to suggest that the relationship is somehow misogynistic or toxic or whatever than just accepting it as a positive/neutral thing with what’s shown, given Rex’s whole characterization in XC2 and how Nia clearly thinks fondly of her family and misses them all in XC3.

I’m just begging people to actually consider real polyamorous people and relationships when it comes to this particular subject, because there’s so much polyphobia in the discussion surrounding it (even if it may not be intentional by some people) that’s just been allowed to go unchecked, and as a polyamorous person myself it’s fucking infuriating and disheartening seeing that kind of shit flourish even within so-called leftist spaces.

I find it interesting that a lot of people don't consider the possibility that the girls are just as much in love with each other as they are with Rex.

Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom