• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

I could overhear sweaty nerds pointing out Another Castle, no laughs buuuuut I also don't particularly think it was going to get laughs since it's not really a joke as much as it's a nerdy reference anyway? It is certainly not paced like a joke atleast.

We reached to the point when in one of the future Directs we could get a look into the sequel, no need to do it separately like with this movie. Imagine watching a Direct and the last announcement or before the last is teaser trailer for Super Mario Bros. Movie 2.

There was a japanese premiere yesterday in Tokyo, Miyamoto said:

"Since we are making a movie together in America and Japan, I thought we should make a Japanese version in Japan. Not a localized dubbed or translated version. This film is not dubbed. From the beginning, I made the script in Japanese at the same time. So I think the conversations sound very natural in Japanese. I want you to see both the Japanese version and the English version. At least twice," he continued.

(This is rough translation via DeepL).

"Since we are making a movie together in America and Japan, I thought we should make a Japanese version in Japan. Not a localized dubbed or translated version. This film is not dubbed. From the beginning, I made the script in Japanese at the same time. So I think the conversations sound very natural in Japanese. I want you to see both the Japanese version and the English version. At least twice," he continued.

Woah that's actually really cool.

Well if the japanese version is gonna have it's own script I hope that someone in the fanbase does a fansub based on that so we can get a look into it too.

Yeah the Japanese from what I've heard has less "Amerikan Jooku". Less sarcasm. Like the scene in the trailer where Peach says "no pressure", in Japanese she says "ikimashou" (Let's go). I thought the movie was already pretty straight and earnest (which I liked), but they definitely aren't directly translating from English.

Also, this is probably obvious, but characters speak with the honorifics they use (at least from the M&L games which I've been trying to get through in Japanese). For example:
  • Bowser refers to himself as "wagahai", which is how older men of higher stature used to refer to themselves
  • Luigi calls Mario "Nii-san", short for "onii-san" (older brother), which I thought was cute. There's def a game where he calls Mario that, but I can't remember
  • Peach uses polite speech when speaking with mario (nasai)
  • When Toad/Peach are watching the Mario/DK fight, in English he just says, "Okay okay...", whereas in JP he says "mugoi" (terrible). So more direct about the emotions he's feeling, as opposed to it being implied in English.

It would be nice if the Japanese version with subtitles was an option on streaming/home video in the US, but that doesn't seem very likely. Would really be curious how they handle it.

Bowser refers to himself as "wagahai", which is how older men of higher stature used to refer to themselves
Bowser using 吾輩 is pretty hilarious. Does he do that in the games too? I can't help but wonder if it's a reference to I Am A Cat somehow.

Bowser using 吾輩 is pretty hilarious. Does he do that in the games too? I can't help but wonder if it's a reference to I Am A Cat somehow.
He does in the Mario & Luigi games and in Universal Studios in Japan actually. So it's consistent. I would assume the same for Paper Mario, but I haven't played those games in JP yet.

That solves that.

That situation is very odd... because when they released the promotional clip of the Plumber Rap in Brazilian Portuguese, the actress dubbing the woman was indeed the exact same person that did the voice for Princess Toadstool in the DiC cartoons here in Brazil (Guilene Conte);

But in the final movie, it's a completely different actress; --and besides some different takes and rerecodings from what we've seen from the trailers, everyone was kept from the promotional materials.. except for her lol

It's almost like they casted Guilene for the cameo, also thinking to keep the supposed reference of Jeannie, but realized at the last minute it wasn't her in the original english audio.. so they dropped the bit.

The head of marketing of Nintendo Brazil also called attention to the fact she was the voice of Princess Toadstool from Super Show here when the clip was originally released, but apparently he deleted his tweet..

Illumination and Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie remains a monster at the multiplex as it crosses the $400 million mark domestically and $866.1 million globally (still without Japan & S.Korea yet with Demon Slayer movie make $500 million in Japan alone. Mario more famous over there)

Seems like there are at least a few bootleg recordings of the movie floating around since I'm seeing a lot of clips on twitter now. Somone took the Mario and DK platforming segment and just overlayed the music and even outside of the theater, this is one of the best action sequences I've ever seen.

The canonical death of Toadsworth is very tragic.

Plenty of interesting concept art pieces across the whole thread though.

The canonical death of Toadsworth is very tragic.

Plenty of interesting concept art pieces across the whole thread though.

These are great, that’s a ton of interesting concepts! I kind of like the idea of the green pipe having been weirdly out of place rather than more naturally integrated into the sewers like it ended up being. Also interesting to see Toadette and Captain Toad in the concept art, looks like the story went through a bunch of iterations before the final concept.

Getting rid of the mansion was for the better, I feel like a ghostly mansion in the middle of the lava-filled bad lands wasn't gonna look super cohesive visually, even for a Mario product.

I was finally able to watch the film tonight!!

I went to the theater twice and the tickets were all sold out, which is wild considering it's a small city.

I absolutely loved it, loved the easter eggs, loved the animation and personality of the characters, and the story was very catchy. Loved to see Mario's family.

Also in my headcanon I finally know what happened right before Odyssey (I mean the game starts with the wedding).

Illumination and Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie remains a monster at the multiplex as it crosses the $400 million mark domestically and $866.1 million globally (still without Japan & S.Korea yet with Demon Slayer movie make $500 million in Japan alone. Mario more famous over there)

Demon slayer did 400m in Japan, not 500, and that was at 2020 exchange rates, and I'm extremely skeptical about it mattering that Mario is "more famous".

Demon slayer in 2020 was an unstoppable juggernaut. In terms of manga sales it did ten times the amount of the next best selling manga. Mario is obviously going to do well there, like it is everywhere, but there's a massive gulf between "doing well" and "literally the best performing film in the region in history".

The yen is also down ~20% Vs the dollar since then, so it's even less likely to get anywhere close to that number (in USD).

The impression that I get is that the Japanese is impossible to predict. Popularity of the IP might not apply here, as apparently Japan hasn't taken too well to Western adaptations of Japanese properties - at least at the box office.

Although, Nintendo being so heavily involved might mitigate that a bit. I think it'd be an outstanding result if it got anywhere close to Demon Slayer.

Mat's theories are very fun. But his observation of certain easter eggs, or lack thereof, is very interesting.

the-super-mario-bros-movie.large.jpg

It's very doubtful that video game films get acknowledged by the Oscars, especially when we have a Disney and a Pixar animated film this year (Wish and Elemental respectively). If this film somehow even gets nominated, that would be a surprise and perhaps a pretty high honour since they tend to not get nominated, especially if it's animated (correct me if I am wrong here).

Does it matter in the end? Unlikely to be, but sometimes the bit of attention helps to acknowledge of the unique achievements of this film (like how it grosses well, comparative to several Disney, Pixar, and Illumination films).

Thank you for reading.

Much like the Game Awards, I don't think Nintendo (or should we) care a whole lot about the Oscars. What matters the most is audience acceptance and revenue; Both fronts are covered.

Now.. if they only announce the physical version of the movie for Brazil...

It's very doubtful that video game films get acknowledged by the Oscars, especially when we have a Disney and a Pixar animated film this year (Wish and Elemental respectively). If this film somehow even gets nominated, that would be a surprise and perhaps a pretty high honour since they tend to not get nominated, especially if it's animated (correct me if I am wrong here).

Does it matter in the end? Unlikely to be, but sometimes the bit of attention helps to acknowledge of the unique achievements of this film (like how it grosses well, comparative to several Disney, Pixar, and Illumination films).

Thank you for reading.
Funny enough, the 1993 Super Mario Bros film was nominated for an Oscar for its visual effects, and arguably was a strong contender for it, only losing because Jurassic Park came out that year.

Funny enough, the 1993 Super Mario Bros film was nominated for an Oscar for its visual effects, and arguably was a strong contender for it, only losing because Jurassic Park came out that year.
What's even weirder is I just watched a video of vfx artists talking about how a ton of tools and methods that modern vfx artists use were actually pioneered in that movie, so it being nominated for an Oscar for that was quite deserved.

This is interesting...

The crew claims that they were not "Mario mandated" to hell and back like most people think they have.

I suppose that at the end of the day they just felt like using a generic old toad that they could recolor for a couple more old toads was the more sane development option than doing Toadsworth, who is a bit more characterful and thus harder to just recolor to fill a crowd.

Thing is, the Mushroom Kingdom counselor is basically wearing Toadsworth's clothes in the movie, bowtie and all.. he already stands out of the other Toads; just making him the right colors and slapping a mustache on the model wouldn't hurt :(

Toadsworth is one thing, but I think Toadette was likely just deemed to be an unneeded character early on. The leaked artwork implies she was some kind of attendant to Peach, but with Peach being presented as independent and capable, and the pacing already being as quick as it is, I imagine she just didn't get too far into the planning (outside of a visual cameo in the final film). Even Nintendo mandates don't seem to apply to Toadette, who Nintendo seems to have been pushing her as a full mainline character, with her appearances in Captain Toad, NSMBWUD, and Mario Maker.

Will cross $2 billion because it's already passed Spiderman No Way Home in 3rd weekend and that's film got $1.9 billion global. Mario still have 5 weeks to go

Eeeeh. My impression is that Japan and South Korea would have to really turn up for that to be possible, which isn't guaranteed.

Movie starts this week in Japan (and Asia?), right?

Damn, i would've loved if it hit 1 billion before that day. Would've been funny as heck. ^^

That's going to be expensive for that TV channel.

.... do these fines count towards the run for 1 billion? ;D

The sneak peak about peach’s backstory was neat. Felt like a scene that should’ve been much longer
The contribution for the franchise AlphaDream made to the big screen! Baby Peach did debut in Partners in Time, after all!

@WestEgg There's an interesting article that came out of a Japanese interview with Miyamoto

From Nintendo, we created the "Movie Project Team" by gathering staff from the character creation team and people who like movies from the team that specializes in creating demo scenes for "The Legend of Zelda" series and others.

Earlier in the press junket, Miyamoto revealed that the Japanese version of the Mario Bros. Movie wasn’t a straight translation of the US version. Rather, Nintendo had handled the Japanese script independently.

According to Miyamoto, this was in order to create a more engaging film for Nintendo’s home audience, rather than something that would be “awkward” when compared to the US version created by Illumination.

“Since we were creating this movie in both Japan and the United States, we thought we should make a Japanese version as well,” the creative fellow told assembled press.

“What I often say is that in games, we should value stories that are ‘like real stories, even though they’re not.’ They’re completely fictional, but I think they seem almost real because there’s some element of reality in them. This is true for dramas as well. When I see that the most important part, which is making it seem ‘like a real story’ is done carelessly, I feel disappointed.

“So when we decided to make this movie, we discussed creating a unique Japanese script from the beginning. Even if we were shown an English script, it would be hard to understand the subtle nuances.”

“At Nintendo, I have the joke title of ‘NHK Morning Drama Critic’,” he said, referencing the national broadcasting company in Japan. “I check morning dramas every day and provide various critiques. Sometimes I’ll praise them as being fantastic, and other times I’ll point out their shortcomings.

“Gradually, I’ve become more outspoken, and even my wife has told me, ‘I don’t want to hear it, go talk about it somewhere else.” [laughs] Over the past 10 or 20 years of doing this, I’ve developed an interest in creating dramas.

“I find that morning dramas often have lively dialogue. Directors who emphasise ad-libs tend to create more engaging content overall. When a director or cinematographer is on set and says, ‘Okay, that’s a wrap!’ I often think, ‘I can’t believe they approved this line.’ I realised that lively conversations are crucial in creating dramas.”

He added: “For this Japanese version, we wanted to create a script that wouldn’t be awkward when compared to Chris’s [the director] version, so we were involved in various ways up until the voice recording. Basically, over the past decade or so, I’ve been quite conscious of creating dramas in my daily life.”

Japanese version about to be the definitive version of the film

@WestEgg There's an interesting article that came out of a Japanese interview with Miyamoto

Japanese version about to be the definitive version of the film

Yeah, just read this - very interesting.

They way he talks about it makes it seem like it isn't a localization of the English script.

Oh dang, I'd actually love to see this (assuming accurate subs were used rather than just the english script. Hopefully that's an option on the blu-ray). Wish they were doing this in more theaters, because I'm not close to any of them.
It's not subtitled unfortunately. Extra disappointing for me because one of these is local.

FultNX8WAAEdnBr.png

Really miffed how cheaply they're pushing this out, what a waste. Would definitely see it again if it was subbed.

Back
Top Bottom