• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
movie 2 should be based on Mario world/yoshi's island and have bowser jr and the koopalings be the main villains, movie 3 should be super Mario galaxy

New TV Spot.

Something about the way Day delivers that fk al line reminds me of Martinet's performance in Mario Kart 64 - before the Luigi's Mansion characterisation came in.

I really feel like he's going to nail it. Him and Jack Black should be fun together at the very least.

Something about the way Day delivers that fk al line reminds me of Martinet's performance in Mario Kart 64 - before the Luigi's Mansion characterisation came in.

I really feel like he's going to nail it. Him and Jack Black should be fun together at the very least.
You know, it actually reminds me of Luigi's Mario Party voice where he was just very high pitched. Yeah, I think Luigi was in general high pitched up until the end of the GCN era when he finally got that deeper side mouth voice.

He just in general feels like the most perfect casting choice along with Jack Black.

Universal Pictures UK updated the page for The Super Mario Bros. Movie with an official plot synopsis:
While working underground to fix a water main, Brooklyn plumbers Mario (Chris Pratt; Jurassic World and The LEGO Movie franchises) and brother Luigi (Charlie Day; It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) are transported down a mysterious pipe and wander into a magical new world. But when the brothers are separated, Mario embarks on an epic quest to find Luigi. With the assistance of a Mushroom Kingdom resident Toad (Keegan-Michael Key; The Lion King) and some training from the strong-willed ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom, Princess Peach (Anya Taylor-Joy; The Queen’s Gambit), Mario taps into his own power.

The 'Mario taps into his own power' caught my eye...

The latter 3 pictures I think are all from existing footage, but I don’t think I’ve seen that up close goomba in the Mushroom Kingdom yet

The latter 3 pictures I think are all from existing footage, but I don’t think I’ve seen that up close goomba in the Mushroom Kingdom yet

Warp piping into the office on a Monday morning like

FrwjYs3aAAENIWW

(part of me wants to claim this as an avatar but at the same time...I'm hesitant to change avatars given completely coincidental forum migrations that seemed to occur less than three months later 😅)

(starts talking about Mario Movie around 2:10)

Love Grace, if you guys are interested into box office and movie stuff, she is really well researched and makes it interesting always. She didn't really care for the first trailers but she puts the movie as one of her best bets for billion dollar pictures this year with Fast X. Of course, this is just speculation.

Further more, she does box office coverage every sunday evening, so it will be interesting to follow Mario's box office every week. She gives great insight on week to week drops, review scores etc.

picking fights with directors on twitter and claimingpedro pascal was a drama queen on set for the mandolorian and wasn't in the suit for most of it and then doubling down on the claim when people on the show said she was wrong
So I just checked her Wiki for the tea and.. uh.. whoa. wwhhhooooaaa.

She sounds like the Hollywood version of SamusHunter.

She also kinda sorta victim blamed one of the people that Roman Polanski abused. Who was 13 at the time.

She's a dickhead.

Has anyone in the UK seen much advertising for this?

I don't watch regular television (just streaming services these days) - and I pay for YouTube Premium, so I don't see many ads.

Has anyone in the UK seen much advertising for this?

I don't watch regular television (just streaming services these days) - and I pay for YouTube Premium, so I don't see many ads.

Not as of yet, though presumably that's because I don't watch the more younger oriented channels which tend to show ads for those sorts of movies more often.

Edit: Though it was on The One Show last week.

Y'all.. she has sources in the industry and REPORTS what has been said BTS. She knows much more than we do and yea sometimes it might turn untrue. Public persona can be difficult behind the scenes and sometimes she brings it up when there is a situation and that rumor could explain why a contract isn't renewed.

I watch her regularly and she's had some opinions, mainly in the past, that weren't great. But like, would anyone that is a public persona ever say anything that is a bit controversial lmao.

Anyways, she has a great movie business vision and knows a lot of scoops. She always fights for representation too, she's really nicer than people think. But again, woman in the public eye, it's always easier to villainies them then men. It's true.

Y'all.. she has sources in the industry and REPORTS what has been said BTS. She knows much more than we do and yea sometimes it might turn untrue. Public persona can be difficult behind the scenes and sometimes she brings it up when there is a situation and that rumor could explain why a contract isn't renewed.

I watch her regularly and she's had some opinions, mainly in the past, that weren't great. But like, would anyone that is a public persona ever say anything that is a bit controversial lmao.

Anyways, she has a great movie business vision and knows a lot of scoops. She always fights for representation too, she's really nicer than people think. But again, woman in the public eye, it's always easier to villainies them then men. It's true.
This is a mario movie thread, not a grace thread, go somewhere else for that

Wonder when we get impressions from folks who saw it. Feels like any second those Twitter post will happen lol
That one account that posts about test screening leaks spoke about test screening reactions a couple months back, they said they heard reactions were positive with both adults and kids.

Im so very impressed with the super mario bros film.

I imagine that it will probably be overpacked and be a little thin on the story side but its still something not any of us could have ever predicted to feature this amount of attention and detail.
And like, for the first time in illumination's history they made a film that actually looks great! No more Dreamworks's uglier brother i guess, at least not for this film

Finally got around to listening to the BBC Radio 2 Chris Pratt and Charlie Day interview and Chris Pratt said there will be easter eggs for not just the Mario series but for other Nintendo series too which, I quote: 'kinda promises a Nintendo Cinematic Universe'.

Also:

Was hoping for next week ngl.

Will probably get social media impressions then at the very least.

Finally got around to listening to the BBC Radio 2 Chris Pratt and Charlie Day interview and Chris Pratt said there will be easter eggs for not just the Mario series but for other Nintendo series too which, I quote: 'kinda promises a Nintendo Cinematic Universe'.

Also:

A day before release?

Well I guess it would’ve been 3 days had it come out Friday

Also:

trying to hide the fact that the movie sucks, I see

(starts talking about Mario Movie around 2:10)

Love Grace, if you guys are interested into box office and movie stuff, she is really well researched and makes it interesting always. She didn't really care for the first trailers but she puts the movie as one of her best bets for billion dollar pictures this year with Fast X. Of course, this is just speculation.

Further more, she does box office coverage every sunday evening, so it will be interesting to follow Mario's box office every week. She gives great insight on week to week drops, review scores etc.

It’s not speculation. The folks at BOT (Box Office Theory) have been tracking the movie. The pre-sale is huge. It’s performing like a solo MCU movie. It’s going to break both video games and illumination opening records possibly more. Tracking has it at 130 million opening domestic right now. That’s massive for an animated movie.

Last edited:
I wonder what other Nintendo franchises they'll make a reference to in this film. We obviously have DKC, and PunchOut makes sense. Perhaps we'll see some Pikmin too. And maybe the Excitebiker. 👀

I think Pratt is probably spitballing - I don't see a NCU as a feasibility tbh.

Presumably they'd have to be all under the same animation studio, and I don't think that'd really suit either Nintendo or Illumination in the long term.

Plus, this first film took six years (Covid obviously playing a factor) to make - and we don't know yet if the work has turned out a quality product. That sort of development time isn't really conducive to a cinematic universe, nor should it be.

I think Pratt is probably spitballing - I don't see a NCU as a feasibility tbh.

Presumably they'd have to be all under the same animation studio, and I don't think that'd really suit either Nintendo or Illumination in the long term.

Plus, this first film took six years (Covid obviously playing a factor) to make - and we don't know yet if the work has turned out a quality product. That sort of development time isn't really conducive to a cinematic universe, nor should it be.
A connected “Smash” universe is probably a stretch, but a line of Nintendo media, with an internal “Mario Universe” seems pretty likely to me. I still imagine projects like Zelda will be their own thing.

It’s not speculation. The folks at BOT (Box Office Theory) have been tracking the movie. The pre-sale is huge. It’s performing like a solo MCU movie. It’s going to break both video games and illumination opening records possibly more. Tracking has it at 130 million opening right now. That’s massive for an animated movie.
I mean, tracking opening numbers but we can never tell how it will end up down the line for the final numbers. But i'm glad this movie will do well, i hope Nintendo announces more projects soon.

I'm sure they will branch out with other franchises too, and probably make a sequel to this Mario movie.
I don't think their projects will be connected in any way (thank god). But i do think it might have crossover down the line. Smash is too popular and crossovers are trendy and big bank potential.

Might be "controversial", but i do think their IP that could do the best after the Mario movie is Metroid. It would have to be done right, but my god that would be incredible. The is a big lack in sci-fi/space flicks right now too.

Interesting... it always scares me when they lift the embargo so close to release.
I kinda feel like it has more to do with the movie releasing much earlier in the week than usual and the embargo lifting early in the week around when it normally would for a typical Friday release. Don't think it means they're trying to keep negative reviews from interfering with opening weekend (which is I assume what that normally means)

Yea i mean... movies sometimes have their embargo lift up the week before release. They could have moved that. I would be surprised the movie would be disappointing tho.

I’m thinking the film will be a big opening weekend. If anything like Mario games, good legs too lol.

A ton of people from work are talking about seeing it. Pretty sure they ain’t video game folks, but they know Mario and like the characters. And a frequent talk of “taking my kids”.

We’ll know for sure when release week comes up.

I feel the movie will have strong legs, if only because there isn't much else that will occupy April this year. I think there's a Guardians movie, but I don't feel like the audiences will cannibalize one another much.

I feel the movie will have strong legs, if only because there isn't much else that will occupy April this year. I think there's a Guardians movie, but I don't feel like the audiences will cannibalize one another much.
The Guardians movie is in early May. The Super Mario Bros. Movie basically has all of April to itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom