• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad that I don't have to waste my time watching The Game Awards to see this trailer. Curious to hear Anya Taylor-Joy's take on Peach.

There's gotta be more than just a trailer. Maybe Miyamoto saying something again along with other members of the cast? Highly doubt they would call this a Direct when there would be like only 2 minute trailer there.

I'm hoping this one is an actual trailer. The last one was a good demonstration of the animation style and the voice acting of Jack Black and Keegan-Michael Key (and Chris Pratt was also featured). But it didn't really feel like a trailer, just two early scenes

I am so glad that I don't have to waste my time watching The Game Awards to see this trailer. Curious to hear Anya Taylor-Joy's take on Peach.
There goes the only Nintendo-related content I expected at the TGAs
I could have sworn I had heard there would be a trailer for this movie at TGA, or was that just speculation? Because yeah, if it’s just this one again, that diminishes my interest in it this year.

Didn’t see a thread yet so figured I should make one. New trailer tomorrow. At 2pm PT/ 11am ET. I am cautiously optimistic after the first trailer, looks like we’ll be seeing Peach this time around.
Just a friendly nudge, I think you mean 5PM ET haha

I could have sworn I had heard there would be a trailer for this movie at TGA, or was that just speculation? Because yeah, if it’s just this one again, that diminishes my interest in it this year.
Just speculation as far as I knew, likely based on the pattern of seeing the Sonic 2 trailer last year.

A pattern that surely is broken now that it has its own bespoke Nintendo Direct.

Wow, this comes out of nowhere. Wondering what Nintendo has for Geoff now.

Also hoping for more Luigi in this one.

Leaked promotional images
Leaks already, huh.

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

Leaks already, huh.

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png
New thread, New MondoMega leaks. Like clockwork.

So we got a full view of the poster from the McDonald's ads and we got a poster of the Brooklyn stuff, as cleverly noted by...every avenue sign saying Brooklyn. Okay then. Anyway, the use of the classic 2D Mario art and font as the logo and iconography for the brothers' plumbing business is really cute and feels right.

Hi, Mayor Pauline!

EDIT: oh yeah the direct Super Show reference in the Mario character poster tickles my nostalgia bone.

What are the chances that we will also get to see the other princesses? Slim? Not at all? Peach is great and all, but I just want to see at least Daisy. Looking forwards to the 2nd trailer still!

What are the chances that we will also get to see the other princesses? Slim? Not at all? Peach is great and all, but I just want to see at least Daisy. Looking forwards to the 2nd trailer still!

The McDonalds toy leak from back when the first trailer dropped included a Luma toy, so there’s a chance Rosalina appears somehow.

New thread, New MondoMega leaks. Like clockwork.

So we got a full view of the poster from the McDonald's ads and we got a poster of the Brooklyn stuff, as cleverly noted by...every avenue sign saying Brooklyn. Okay then. Anyway, the use of the classic 2D Mario art and font as the logo and iconography for the brothers' plumbing business is really cute and feels right.

Hi, Mayor Pauline!

EDIT: oh yeah the direct Super Show reference in the Mario character poster tickles my nostalgia bone.
I have it on good authority that they are in fact not like the others who get all the fame

I think if they mess up Peach I'll be more worried. But if they get her right, then I think we're good on all the characters, really. I see the other actors really matching the characters...just not Chris Pratt, he was the one I was worried about most and he was....just ok. Toad was excellent. Luigi, though we didn't hear voice, was accurate. But Peach has such a slow and high-pitched voice that's hard.

Excited to see this tomorrow! First trailer, outside of Mario’s voice, was pretty good!

Oh man, I'm excited! Funny how it is, right? I was so nervous before the first trailer, but now.. phew.. confidence is hell of a drug!

Also.. on the leaks..

LOVING the Brooklyn lore and the Super Show references! And is that PAULINE in the background of the van picture?! She's a pretty major character for the early life events of the Mario Brothers.. but they didn't announce her casting at all... Very odd!

Also, just I don't lose my habit: Chris Pratt suck! ;P

I see Pauline in the background of that shot with the Bros. Truck! But still no DK still, huh?

At this rare, I'd almost give credence to the "conspiracy theory" that DK's not getting shown until they're ready to show off his new game!
:ROFLMAO:

Little bit of a cast description:

unknown.png

The movie tells the story of two Brooklyn plumbers who are brothers and best friends: Mario, the brave one with the "let's-a-go" attitude, and the perpetually anxious Luigi, who would prefer to go nowhere.

We open with the Super Mario Brothers reckoning with their struggling plumbing business, and wind up in a whirlwind adventure through the Mushroom Kingdom. Through their journey, we meet a cast of familiar, loveable characters, ultimately uniting together to defeat the power-hungry villain, Bowser.

Mario
Mario is a little guy from Brooklyn with big dreams. He's the classic "big brother" brimming with charm and confidence.

Luigi
Mario's devoted, but anxious, little brother and business partner. Where Mario is calm and confident, Luigi is...not.

Princess Peach
Not your typical princess, Peach is the charismatic, capable, confident leader of the Mushroom Kingdom and the sworn protector of the toads.

Toad
Toad is an adorable, cheerful, and perpetually snarky citizen of the Mushroom Kingdom who is desperate to go on his first adventure.

Bowser
Obsessed with Princess Peach and gaining power, Bowser is King of the Koopa's and the film's crooning chanteuse-villain.

No Kongs anywhere in the leaks really has me suspecting they're not going to exactly have super major parts after all and will instead be mostly set-up for DK's own movie.

Slim chance, seems like this is a retelling of SMB. But I see them adding Daisy and Rosalina in sequels.

The more I see of the characters, the more strange they look. They looked ok in motion, for the very little bit we saw in the first trailer, but these stills are really off looking.

IMG-20221128-WA0008.jpg

They're retaining her Odyssey design, but I don't expect her to be a mayor in this context. But I'm so glad that they're actually going with Brooklyn instead of New Donk! Even the extras, are designed as "Mario characters" and not uncanny valley NPCs!

Mario looks good in this film except the jumping shot in the poster. I don’t know what it is about that pose, but I have an acutely strong negative, imposter Mario reaction to it.

IMG-20221128-WA0008.jpg

They're retaining her Odyssey design, but I don't expect her to be a mayor in this context. But I'm so glad that they're actually going with Brooklyn instead of New Donk! Even the extras, are designed as "Mario characters" and not uncanny valley NPCs!

That's a street sign, so it could be Brooklyn st, New Donk City lol.

Either way, this is what I wish New Donk had been, I really dislike the generic people in suits thing they went with. This has so much more personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom