• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News The source code for Rayman 2 has been leaked online (update: a large amount of Rayman 3 GBA docs and builds have also been found)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

unknown.png

Yes, it's definitely shaping up to be a wild year for game preservation.
For the record, the filename for the archive says it was for "Rayman 4". (I.E. the original version of Raving Rabbids that was a proper platformer, rather than the mini-game collection it turned into) But most of the files are Rayman 2 related, with the modification dates suggesting it was pulled out for the DS port of that game.
70160-rayman-2-the-great-escape-nintendo-ds-front-cover.jpg

(Ignore the title, this really was just a port of Rayman 2!)

A build of the game (Using Nintendo's internal ".srl" format) is even included in the files, but it requires dev hardware to run.
Alongside this, there's a pair of music players in that same format. Which don't require dev hardware, and are naturally filled with Rayman music.
unknown.png

There's also assets from other games that use Rayman 2's engine, such as Tonic Trouble and Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers.
unknown.png

and you get to learn numerous developer in-jokes. Like the fact they frequently used Iron Maiden album covers as placeholder assets, and that there's an official John Lennon Rayman OC.
unknown.png
unknown.png

I'd recommend checking out Ribshark's Twitter thread, as it contains quite a few other details worth noting.
You might also be interested in seeing this collection of unused animations taken from the source.

Very interesting stuff. Bizzare that the source code came from the DS version of all things though!
Eh, not really that surprising.
Grabbing the code from a more recent port would be a lot easier than finding where it was originally stored.

The gigaleak had something a bit similar. There was a small portion of code from the original NES Super Mario Bros left in due to the devs pulling it out for Mario All Stars.

It's exciting that this game will finally be able to be ported.

It's a shame that this borderline masterpiece has not been brought to consoles of recent generations.

A Rayman 4 prototype (and source code) has leaked

i suppose that explains why the original Rayman 2 archive was named "four". this is specifcally a PC proto, and seems to even run on modern windows without issue/

like the last leak, assets from other games using Ubisoft's internal "JADE" engine are also included. such as king kong.
Screenshot_2022-12-24_101944.png

As a massive fan of Rayman 2 specifically, this is awesome. Hope we'll get a decent, modern PC port out of this or something.

It’s kind of crazy that there are no currently no official means to play rayman 2 from ubisoft. That game was available everywhere like a decade ago

Oh man, seeing these images brings me back yearssssss. I loved Rayman 2 so much, played it on PC back in the day and it was my first experience with the franchise. And it's what led me to ask my parents for Rayman 3 on the GBA, which turned out to be some hybrid between Rayman 2 and 3 esthetics and I really loved that game. I also ended up buying Rayman 3 on the Gamecube for like €5 back then.

I hope we'll be able to play Rayman 2 on modern systems again. Ubisoft should've remastered it, but I'll take anything at this point.

Back
Top Bottom