• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse announced for PC and consoles, coming March 9th 2023 (UPDATE: new story trailer, see threadmarks)

mazi

picross pundit

the snitch, an insider/leaker with a very good track record, has posted this on his discord:

ff4tease9wet2.png

direct announcement?

Last edited:
Would be neat. Was apparently a good entry and another Wii remaster is cool in my book.

(Seriously though, I'm asking more for stuff like The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Disaster: Day of Crisis, hell, even Zangeki no Reginleiv).

It seems EA and KoTec will post the Direct videos on their own YouTube channels too. The thing is, many Direct reveals remain at Nintendo official channel so we might not get a lot from Snitch. Maybe Namco games too.

As someone who owns Fatal Frame 4 on Wii, while I'd prefer a brand new entry over another remake, at least this game might finally get the attention it deserves, because it really is something special.

It has this wonderfully creepy yet also melancholy atmosphere that really sets it apart, and it's both one of the best games on Wii and one of the best horror games I have played. It is quite old school in its design philosophy, but if you can accept that, it offers a distinctly Japanese ghost story (albiet modernized) that has genuine soul, if you'll pardon the pun.

It's a crime it wasn't localized back in 2008.

Yeah, that's what I wager as well, seems specific. Snitch also seemed to hint it was a horror title so yeah, it fits the bill.

As someone who owns Fatal Frame 4 on Wii, while I'd prefer a brand new entry over another remake, at least this game might finally get the attention it deserves, because it really is something special.

It has this wonderfully creepy yet also melancholy atmosphere that really sets it apart, and it's both one of the best games on Wii and one of the best horror games I have played. It is quite old school in its design philosophy, but if you can accept that, it offers a distinctly Japanese ghost story (albiet modernized) that has genuine soul, if you'll pardon the pun.

As someone who played Crimson Butterfly on Wii and Maiden of Black Water, where would you rank this one?

Really excited to play it

As someone who played Crimson Butterfly on Wii and Maiden of Black Water, where would you rank this one?

I've not played it, but I know series fans who did, they place it higher than Maiden of Black Water generally from a pure gameplay and story perspective overall.

Personally, I find it better than both of those.
It's more polished than Maiden of Black Water and I personally found its story the most interesting of the three.
I do really like Crimson Butterfly too though.

I totally agree.
I played it back in the days with an English patch.
I didn't re-buy FF5 on the Switch, having already played it on the Wii U, but 4th...4th is another story. My fav of the series, probably (and of course, an "HD enanched resolution" version would be neat)

I hope it's true! Played this a few years ago using the fan translation and thought it was great. I'd love to give it a second playthrough on Switch.

doesn't bayonetta 3 kinda sorta count?
Well, technically yes, she IS a witch but Bayo herself fails to scare me. There are mountains of difference between an attractive lady with guns on her heels with weak little girls with a camera as the only weapon.

I hope the Nintendo costumes stay in and they do a fucking physical release this time. The game has excellent atmosphere even if I hate the change in camera and control system compared to the first three.

Would be neat. Was apparently a good entry and another Wii remaster is cool in my book.

(Seriously though, I'm asking more for stuff like The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Disaster: Day of Crisis, hell, even Zangeki no Reginleiv).
Last story and Pandora's Tower are games that I really wish would get a remaster. I feel they would at least build a cool fanbase (and I just don't like wii's control....)

Dear Koei Tecmo, regarding the Fatal Frame/Project Zero franchise, I have one simple wish: REMASTER. FUCKING. EVERYTHING.

Yours truly,

Cucufate.

Also, kinda worried that we might not get a Halloween game for Switch this year, after getting some 4 years straight. This is the perfect Halloween game for me.
Unless it turns out to be shadowdropped, I can see Alan Wake releasing near Halloween. It would be fitting.

This is massive for me if true, I sold all my physical games a decade ago and the few Wii games I could not download on the Wii u eshop I bought again physical, apart from fatal frame 4 as it’s so rare and expensive in the UK now. This game will look amazing in HD as well, also I think it might be the best in the series.

I believe Suda51 actually wrote this one, which has me very interested. Also will be great to finally have it localized.

Man don't give me hopes.

I love Fatal Frame 5 but i never got the chance to play the others cause they're stuck on old systems or straight up never came here like IV.

Hopefully like 5 it comes with the gyro controls when using it in handheld, a bit like Pokémon Snap that's part of the charm to hold the console as if we're holding the camera obscura.

Oh and please don't mess up the boxart KT, it's perfect the way it is.

Project_Zero_4_Mask_of_the_Lunar_Eclipse-722048228-mmed.jpg

Last edited:
Now this could be exciting. I always wished I'd managed to obtain this one at the time.

I hope the Nintendo costumes stay in and they do a fucking physical release this time.
Now this is the hope.

Honestly, between this and Crimson Butterfly, it really seemed it would make sense that Nintendo leverage the partnership with Koei Tecmo to support their systems with such a franchise. And then with another addition on Wii U. But it was never used to such extent.

The full series released and readily available in physical seems unlikely, but that's the dream.

Yes, more of this, please.

I'm glad they're going to keep the franchise alive. Hopefully we see it at the Direct.

Strange they did not try with a collection of the first 3, is something the creator wanted to do

Maybe they thinked that PZ4 would sell more

Hyped for this to hopefully show up tomorrow in the Direct, then.

Also, kinda worried that we might not get a Halloween game for Switch this year, after getting some 4 years straight. This is the perfect Halloween game for me.
Here's hoping Tecmo follow up on this news with ports for 1, 2 (Wiimake) and 3. Maybe they'll release 4 during Halloween like they did for 5?

Please be true. One of the better ones in the series, but they're all good (even Spirit Camera).

Just please do a physical NA release, please.....

Strange they did not try with a collection of the first 3, is something the creator wanted to do

Maybe they thinked that PZ4 would sell more
FF4 is effectively a new game outside of Japan, and inside Japan this is their chance to release a non-glitched version. I'm sure it has the highest sales potential of the existing games, even if I really want re-releases of the first three games more.

Having played it on the Wii quite a few years back, it was a great (albeit somewhat buggy) experience. If this happens, I'll be all over it!

Will have a physical release, at least in Europe (I imagine distributed by Nintendo).
It's funny that 5 didn't get a physical outside of Asia but this one gets it. Very hype.

Last edited:

Everything I wanted to hear, and I'm immediately interested. Thanks for sharing!

I wouldn't call it too weird. Nintendo seems fine with licensing it out and 5 did better than the original launch
Though I can see why it could be seen as weird. Keeping this series on their own consoles could be a foundation for cultivating a particular niche in the playerbase. But Nintendo must have determined it's more in their interest to allow these elsewhere.

I'm curious what this means for their partnership with Koei Tecmo going forward with this series.

Though I can see why it could be seen as weird. Keeping this series on their own consoles could be a foundation for cultivating a particular niche in the playerbase. But Nintendo must have determined it's more in their interest to allow these elsewhere.

I'm curious what this means for their partnership with Koei Tecmo going forward with this series.
KT probably just paid up for a game Nintendo doesn't see much worthwhile growth in. I don't think Nintendo will be footing the bill for any new games, so Fatal Frame 6 will be on KT's dime

Well, now that we've seen it, looks like a quality remake; very nice visuals that retain the style of the original while still looking modern.

I really hope it finally gets the recognition and love it deserves; I am curious how it will be recieved as while it is a very good game, it's also a game from 2008, and I can see it being docked points for not being as slick or frictionless as today's audiences might want.

Still, I maintain that if you go in with the right expectations its a terrific horror experience.

Back
Top Bottom