• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion The Pokémon Day '24 Speculation Thread

What are you expecting the big announcement to be?

• remake

• legends

• let's go

• new generation (...)

• something different

Results are only viewable after voting.
Also add me to the camp that sees absolutely no pattern to the release cadence of remakes. They're so spread apart and most of them happened under different circumstances that they don't tell us much.

was there a pokemon trainer amiibo?

I only remember the pokemon getting amiibo!

Yeah, every pokémon character that was in Smash got an amiibo. I wanted a Pikachu instead of Pichu, but his pose was so boring. The other ones are great, though, all very dynamic and badass.

Yeah, every pokémon character that was in Smash got an amiibo. I wanted a Pikachu instead of Pichu, but his pose was so boring.
You know what, I looked through my collection and found mine. I completely forgot about it!

Update on this:

Khu has seemingly started to tweet again in the old riddler way. Probably puts to rest the murmurs about the account having lost its sources.

This interpretation of it on Era is pretty interesting (essentially both gen 2 and 5 are being teased). Wonder if we'll get more hints that can paint a more solid picture in the coming days.

People are saying “gen 2 and 5” but what if this means two gen 5 (Unova) games? I mean they did have two Sinnoh games release back to back two years ago

People are saying “gen 2 and 5” but what if this means two gen 5 (Unova) games? I mean they did have two Sinnoh games release back to back two years ago
Could be, yeah (ILCA-made BW remake and a GF-made experimental Gen 5 game, or ILCA-made BW and BW2 remakes releasing two months apart, etc. lmao). Khu knew the image would be interpreted in multiple ways. It's wait and see situation.

Personally I've already stated that I'd much rather have revisits of past regions than remakes, so I'm hoping that if we have to get a game this holiday it's something original rather than a retread.

Plot-twist:
• We’re getting ILCA B/W remakes
• B2/W2 will be remade in Legends format:
— The content will be adapted to the open-area format or Legends, with some regional versions (or paradox, whatever they do)

Part of me wonders if ILCA having been given more time since BDSP and their involvement with other games since puts them in a position to do something more ambitious than a straight remake this time around. If TPC did actually want to do something both Johto and Unova in the coming year, that'd probably be it, as cool as Paradox Johto+Unova in one game with time travel sounds. Though if the dev team was put on Sand Land, that might rule out anything from ILCA this year.
It's actually Pokemon Sword and Shield 2.
Pokémon Gunsword and Pokémon Gunshield

Update on this:

Khu has seemingly started to tweet again in the old riddler way. Probably puts to rest the murmurs about the account having lost its sources.

This interpretation of it on Era is pretty interesting (essentially both gen 2 and 5 are being teased). Wonder if we'll get more hints that can paint a more solid picture in the coming days.

Okay, but…you can literally make any number between 0–9 out of the parts that make up a digital clock “8” like that. It’s not like a 2 and a 5 piece together perfectly to make an 8, anyway, because there are overlapping pieces. You can accomplish the same thing with a 4 and a 6, for example, or a number of other combinations. “E1” is the only thing that I can see fitting perfectly together to make an “8” (Gen I eShop release, anyone? =p), but I doubt it’s supposed to be that, either.

Honestly, I still think Khu is full of shit if what they’re supposedly teasing is Unova related. Johto? Sure, I can absolutely see that happening, and it’s about time for a third visit to Johto now that it’s been over 5 years since Let’s Go. But I will be absolutely shocked if we get Unova remakes this soon. But if we for some reason do get that, then I guess we can assume that TPC has finally decided to give their games a longer development time going forward, otherwise they’re gonna run out of games to remake if they keep up that pace.

Fusing Pokemon from future and past sounds like a fever dream with a headache

But interesting hahahahaahhhaahah
Well less fusing the Pokémon as a mechanic and more the physical regions themselves are fused. Don’t think it’ll happen but just a thought, could end up potentially with some interesting pre designed fusions of people and Pokémon idk

1 and 3 makes 8 on the clock. 13 is Weedle. Let's go Weedle confirmed
Sorry to disappoint Weedle fans, but a 1 is oriented on the right side of parts that make up the “8” on digital clocks, not the left side, so E+1 is possible, but 1+3 is not. =P (Not that any of this actually means anything, lol.)

Sorry to disappoint Weedle fans, but a 1 is oriented on the right side of parts that make up the “8” on digital clocks, not the left side, so E+1 is possible, but 1+3 is not. =P (Not that any of this actually means anything, lol.)
Okay how about I 3 which means, uh, Indigo Disk 3rd part?

I feel like this is going to be very similar to the February 2022 presentation, B&W remake with legends style game.

My problem with that theory is that there wouldn't really be any underlying reason to make that ILCA-like Johto remake. BDSP likely existed to soothe fans who would have otherwise been upset at Sinnoh not getting a straight remake like prior generations and only instead getting Legends: Arceus. Remaking Johto again alongside a Legends style Unova game would just be random, why bother with Johto at all if the next game in line for a remake is Unova?

Not to mention that if the 8 is really meant to be broken down into a 2 and 5 to represent those generations, the implication of showing them fused as an 8 would be that it is the Johto/Unova fusion idea, at least to me anyway.
Both gen 2 and 5 are up next to bat for remakes.
Also add me to the camp that sees absolutely no pattern to the release cadence of remakes. They're so spread apart and most of them happened under different circumstances that they don't tell us much.
The main issue is that now they've relatively recently (as in just over 5 years ago) also started remaking gens that have already been remade. The previous cadence has kinda changed a bit.

The main issue is that now they've relatively recently (as in just over 5 years ago) also started remaking gens that have already been remade. The previous cadence has kinda changed a bit.
True, but LGPE was a Kanto game for no reason other than Gen 1 being the most relevant generation for the mainstream Go crowd. It didn't come about because of some preconceived notion on how much time needs to pass between old titles and remakes.

On top of that how exactly are people saying with a straight face that it's too early for Unova games (and again I'm not strictly referring to Remakes) when more time has passed between now and BW's release than it had between RBY and FRLG, GS and HGSS, RSE and ORAS. Like uh? What?

I dislike how that even seems plausible.

Black and White's cutscenes felt ambitious.

tumblr_mp0tlxF1Ci1rsvh7bo6_250.gif

tumblr_mgzn53NVtK1r2mho4o1_500.gif

3a9cbb176a7b6f95b4ac0cc24080d8350b10db7b.gifv

It meant a lot to have played Gen IV for years and then see the upgrade in visuals for this game, with more '3D' environments and smoother battles. A natural progression of beautiful pixel art that looked splendid on the DS screens.

bw-seasons.gif

6c0f9ffcce695562837ace778473dc0a.gif
I genuinely don't need an HD-2D remake of this. Hell, or even something like the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. Just have these set at 1080p output and touch up the 3D environments and I'd be content.

Why would they be specifically hinting at Gen 2 NSO when we don't even have Gen 1 NSO?
Tbh I really don't think they were hinting at Gold and Silver on purpose. Games get automatically tagged in YouTube videos all the time. Whether it means anything, I guess we'll see in a week.

Given that next year is potentially an off-year for Gamefreak, I think they’re going to hold off Gen 1-3 on NSO/eShop until next year.

If they do it this year though, it’ll just be Gens 1-2, with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald next year

Given that next year is potentially an off-year for Gamefreak, I think they’re going to hold off Gen 1-3 on NSO/eShop until next year.

If they do it this year though, it’ll just be Gens 1-2, with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald next year
We don't really have reason to believe that next year's going to be an off year at this point. There's been a new generation every 3 years since Black and White.

This year is most likely either going to be the remake/Legends year, the Gen 1-3 rerelease year, or both.

The only reason I'd even slightly entertain the thought of gen 10 in 2026 is because Game Freak seem to care at least a little about anniversaries, and maybe that the clearly rushed state of most Switch games (and subsequent fan reception) is finally getting to them. Because otherwise yeah, every generation going all the way back to 5 has been three years. Heck even before that, gens 1 and 2 were three and a half and three years respectively, and even 3 was intended to only last three years, until Diamond and Pearl got delayed. Everyone was even sure gen 9 would skip 2022 because of Arceus and potential expansion, but they still did it! Perfect opportunity for them to buck the trend, give the games some more time, and they chose not to. Instead we got three mainline games in the span of one year!

We don't really have reason to believe that next year's going to be an off year at this point.

The reason people are speculating is because 2026 marks the 30th anniversary of the franchise, and would be a great occasion to release the symbolic generation 10.

We don't really have reason to believe that next year's going to be an off year at this point. There's been a new generation every 3 years since Black and White.

This year is most likely either going to be the remake/Legends year, the Gen 1-3 rerelease year, or both.

The only reason I'd even slightly entertain the thought of gen 10 in 2026 is because Game Freak seem to care at least a little about anniversaries, and maybe that the clearly rushed state of most Switch games (and subsequent fan reception) is finally getting to them. Because otherwise yeah, every generation going all the way back to 5 has been three years. Heck even before that, gens 1 and 2 were three and a half and three years respectively, and even 3 was intended to only last three years, until Diamond and Pearl got delayed. Everyone was even sure gen 9 would skip 2022 because of Arceus and potential expansion, but they still did it! Perfect opportunity for them to buck the trend, give the games some more time, and they chose not to. Instead we got three mainline games in the span of one year!

The reason people are speculating is because 2026 marks the 30th anniversary of the franchise, and would be a great occasion to release the symbolic generation 10.
With Switch 2 in Q1 2025, I wouldn't expect Gen 10 (which will be Switch 2 exclusive) to be in 2025. Pokémon games need a big userbase at launch.

That pushes Gen 10 to 2026, so a 4 years gap with Gen 9.

So will 2024/2025 have an off-year ? Not necessarily, they could have a remake this year and Legends in 2025.

3 years dev schedule for the remake, ~4 years for Legends and Gen 10, sounds ideal imo.

With Switch 2 in Q1 2025, I wouldn't expect Gen 10 (which will be Switch 2 exclusive) to be in 2025. Pokémon games need a big userbase at launch.

That pushes Gen 10 to 2026, so a 4 years gap with Gen 9.

So will 2024/2025 have an off-year ? Not necessarily, they could have a remake this year and Legends in 2025.

3 years dev schedule for the remake, ~4 years for Legends and Gen 10, sounds ideal imo.

Just gonna quote myself from another thread
I don't see why hardware cycles should affect their release cadence. If gen 10 comes in 2025 and Switch 2 is indeed delayed to next year, I'm willing to bet it will be playable on both systems. Might be a different discussion if no backwards compatibility, but... nah

Yeah, that too. I don't think a new gen has ever released in the first year of a system.

I think the release-timing interest goes in both directions too, namely, that Nintendo might be more interested in having a New Pokemon Driving Console Sales in 2026 as something that continues the momentum of the console heading into it's second holiday than as something they necessarely need there on the first year.

Back
Top Bottom