• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion The Pokémon Day '24 Speculation Thread

What are you expecting the big announcement to be?

• remake

• legends

• let's go

• new generation (...)

• something different

Results are only viewable after voting.

rêverie

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
Hello Pokémon fans, haters, and otherwise! We have something to discuss - the upcoming Pokémon announcements on (or, near?) Pokémon Day, which is February 27th this year.

pokemon-day-2019-169.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but I'm both fearful and excited of the possibilities. We have heard of several rumors going around. Some say it's a B/W remake, some say it's a B/W sequel, others even say it's something different à la Legends or Let's Go. What do you think we should be scared of looking forward to TPC announcing, fami?

My expectations are in line with a B/W remake. I'm hoping they go the route of using the S/V engine as I feel like, based off the original presentation of the engine's capabilities, it is capable of producing a better looking and running game. Couple that with the fact that this will be GF's second time using the engine, I'm hoping we would get some improvements like we saw with D/P to HG/SS. The team should be able to spend more time optimizing and detailing than they did with S/V (or D/P, in the case of the HG/SS comparison.) Also fully expecting this to be a Switch 1 only game that releases post-Switch 2 launch. Funnily enough, similar to the original B/W.

Feel free to discuss any other predictions/expectations not related to the main game announcement. For instance, I'd also expect some updates to Pokémon Go, possibly a new mobile game, or something else I won't care at all about.

Last edited:
BW Remake by ILCA for Switch in late 2024
Legends 2 for Switch/Drake in late 2025
Mystery Dungeon for Switch in 2024
Pokken 2 by Bamco and Arika for Drake in early 2025

I don't follow Pokemon rumors, as I don't play the series anymore since gen 4. Although, I tried to play gen 6 and Let's go, but felt it wasn't for me anymore.
Anywho. I do wanna say I think it'll be a next generation made for the Switch 2.

if you look at what pattern gamefreak gives with their games, it would imply the next pokemon game is a Switch 2 game.

DS: New gen (Diamond/Pearl) -> Remake of older gen (HG/SS) -> New gen (black/white) -> new game same gen (black 2/white 2)

3DS: New gen (X/Y) -> Remake of older gen (OR/AS) -> new gen (Sun/Moon) -> new game same gen (US/UM)

Switch: New Gen (Sword/Shield) -> Remake of older gen (BD/SP) -> New gen (Scarlet Violet)

Only difference in the last order is that Sword/shield and scarlet/violet did get DLC, but can be seen as the ''new game, same gen'' sorta thing.
That's why I see the new Pokemon game starting of as a Switch 2 game, and having a new gen again, because of how I see this pattern.
I posted this somewhere else on Fami, this is my main reason.
Sure, I am also told of a remake on Switch, due to Game Freak and TPC not wanting to jump in the new system at first hand, but I stick with my pattern that I found, and find it also particular that there are already many many many many Pokemon games on Switch.

Expectations:
Black and White remakes
Pokemon Legends: Celebi
Pokemon Cafe Remix/Unite/Masters EX/GO updates
Pokken 2 (teaser trailer, coming to Switch, revealed coming to Switch 2 after the console announcement)

Hopes (that I have no confidence in):
New Pokemon Snap more course DLC

I actually think this is the year that we get another Mystery Dungeon (maybe an Explorers remake), alongside B/W remakes in the same style as BDSP.

Maybe some of the older games finally come to the eshop but i'm not holding my breath on that one.

I imagine straight BW1 remakes by ILCA and Legends: Original Dragon.

I want Legends: Original Dragon and wouldn't mind more ambitious remakes.

1. Unova remake Nov 2024, not by ILCA
  2. Legends Teaser 2025
  3. Side-game. I would love MD, but Spike Chunsoft is releasing Shiren this year and I think they share staff (mobygames does not have full credits for the shiren games)

Black and White Remakes in a joint collaboration between ILCA and Game Freak (heavy supervision this time) in a brand new non-Chibi artstyle. No Legends.

ILCA is exclusively working with Namco now, I don't think they'll ever do another Pokémon game. Currently they're making Sand Land for PS5/Xbox SX.

My guess is the next Legend game for this fall. Game Freak is most likely to be assisted by another studio, I can't guess who it could be right now.
And of course, bunch of mobile shit.

ILCA is exclusively working with Namco now, I don't think they'll ever do another Pokémon game. Currently they're making Sand Land for PS5/Xbox SX.

My guess is the next Legend game for this fall. Game Freak is most likely to be assisted by another studio, I can't guess who it could be right now.
And of course, bunch of mobile shit.
ILCA is not exclusive. they have a joint owned studio for Ace Combat, but that's it. they're still work for hire

B/W ILCA remakes for Switch in late 2024.
Legends Unova for Switch with next gen upgrades in early 2025
Mention of B2/W2 remakes in late 2025, but no other info.
Gens 1, 2 and 3 coming to NSO over the course of 2024 with a shadowdrop of gen 1.
New Mystery Dungeon game for Switch.

Recent rumors seem to indicating Let's Go Johto so I am assuming that for this year

I really want Gen 5 remakes to be done properly. If it's half assed I will cry because the best Gen deserves better. Black White 3 will be for 2025 I think

Legends Original Dragon early 2026

ILCA is not exclusive. they have a joint owned studio for Ace Combat, but that's it. they're still work for hire
Oh right. I should have known the you-know-who Nintendo newssite only does clickbait headlines...

But Sand Land does look like a big project and just before that they did OP Odyssey. I don't think they're big enough to handle a third project...

I voted "Something Different", which in my mind is Black 3/White 3. That to me would be preferable to just a straight BDSP style remake of just Black 1/White 1, and would be fitting for the only generation that had direct sequels rather than the then typical third version (now DLC).

I haven't kept up with the rumor mill on this too closely though, I feel like it's been sort of all over the place though?

I'm going to say a remake, but not of the Unova games, of the Johto games.
And then, of course, GB/GBC/GBA Pokemon games on NSO.

Recent rumors seem to indicating Let's Go Johto so I am assuming that for this year

I really want Gen 5 remakes to be done properly. If it's half assed I will cry because the best Gen deserves better. Black White 3 will be for 2025 I think

Legends Original Dragon early 2026
do you have a link/source to the LG Johto rumor?

agreed that an LG Johto, leaving more time and space for a gen 5 remake later on is preferable. gen 5 are my faves too and as you can see by my vocabulary in the OP, i am... frightened what they will do with them
Oh right. I should have known the you-know-who Nintendo newssite only does clickbait headlines...

But Sand Land does look like a big project and just before that they did OP Odyssey. I don't think they're big enough to handle a third project...
this is promising as i'd like ILCA nowhere near my precious unova games.
I voted "Something Different", which in my mind is Black 3/White 3. That to me would be preferable to just a straight BDSP style remake of just Black 1/White 1, and would be fitting for the only generation that had direct sequels rather than the then typical third version (now DLC).

I haven't kept up with the rumor mill on this too closely though, I feel like it's been sort of all over the place though?
as you can see in the quotes above, yes, rumors are kind of all over the place lol. not sure if that means no one knows what they're talking about or just that there are multiple things actually in the works.

black/white 3 would be really cool to see. black/white 2 are my favorite games and i think unova has some of the most interesting storylines, they really could pull more out of it. i think it's less likely than a pure remake, though.

A follow-up to Legends is all I'm really interested in, at the moment. If it's also tied to Unova, so much the better.

But if a Pokken 2 ever does happen, then by all means...

I'm thinking some kind of new unova game that isn't legends early 2025 as well as a faithful unova remake probably different from bdsp but not sure how.

Just like let's go, legends will probably be a one time thing. It seems the remake team wants to do something different for each region.

Following the pattern of remakes gen 2 should be next however it seems they're jumping straight to gen 5 which seems odd, creatures inc. Teased gen 2 in the detective pikachu 2 so maybe they plan to do multiple generations at once?

I don't follow Pokemon rumors, as I don't play the series anymore since gen 4. Although, I tried to play gen 6 and Let's go, but felt it wasn't for me anymore.
Anywho. I do wanna say I think it'll be a next generation made for the Switch 2.

I posted this somewhere else on Fami, this is my main reason.
Sure, I am also told of a remake on Switch, due to Game Freak and TPC not wanting to jump in the new system at first hand, but I stick with my pattern that I found, and find it also particular that there are already many many many many Pokemon games on Switch.
while GF stuck to a pretty predictable pattern in the past, i think that's kind of dissolving. even your example alone shows that there is a wavering of the pattern. DS was the last time we got something incredibly predictable - new gen -> third version -> remake -> new gen -> third version. 3DS started off normal with new gen, then skipped third version, brought us a remake, then new gen and a third version. switch deviated even further with new sub-franchise first (LGPE), then new gen, skipping third version (relegated to DLC from here on out), remake, new sub-franchise again (Legends), new gen w/DLC.

i don't think there's really a "pattern" to follow anymore. a new Legends or LG is more likely than a new gen right now. i doubt GF has had any time to plan a whole new gen when they just released one. though, "no time" hasn't stopped them before, so...
I imagine straight BW1 remakes by ILCA and Legends: Original Dragon.

I want Legends: Original Dragon and wouldn't mind more ambitious remakes.
what is this "Original Dragon" game people are talking about?

while GF stuck to a pretty predictable pattern in the past, i think that's kind of dissolving. even your example alone shows that there is a wavering of the pattern. DS was the last time we got something incredibly predictable - new gen -> third version -> remake -> new gen -> third version. 3DS started off normal with new gen, then skipped third version, brought us a remake, then new gen and a third version. switch deviated even further with new sub-franchise first (LGPE), then new gen, skipping third version (relegated to DLC from here on out), remake, new sub-franchise again (Legends), new gen w/DLC.

i don't think there's really a "pattern" to follow anymore. a new Legends or LG is more likely than a new gen right now. i doubt GF has had any time to plan a whole new gen when they just released one. though, "no time" hasn't stopped them before, so...

what is this "Original Dragon" game people are talking about?
The Original Dragon is one of the unrevealed bits of lore from the original Gen 5 games. Specifically, Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem used to be one being before they split apart, ie. the Original Dragon. The Black 2 and White 2 games saw the fusions of Kyurem with one of the other two dragons, but the fusion of all three is still a mystery.

I'm thinking some kind of new unova game that isn't legends early 2025 as well as a faithful unova remake probably different from bdsp but not sure how.

Just like let's go, legends will probably be a one time thing. It seems the remake team wants to do something different for each region.

Following the pattern of remakes gen 2 should be next however it seems they're jumping straight to gen 5 which seems odd, creatures inc. Teased gen 2 in the detective pikachu 2 so maybe they plan to do multiple generations at once?
I'm confused. Gen 5 has been next since bdsp came out.

I don't think the Let's Go games were a sign of anything tbh. It was more about getting a Pokemon game on the brand new console while also taking advantage of the PoGo hype.

I think we will get Black and White remakes coming this Holiday developed by ILCA (the same studio that did the Diamond and Pearl ones). As for brand new mainline titles, that would be it. I do think spin-offs are a different story and Mistery Dungeon will come back. Pokken 2 is also a possibility, although I see that for next year.

My personal hopes are mainline Pokémon releases on NSO, particularly gen 3 and Fire Red and Leaf Green, and as a dream a Polemon Colloseum / XD Gale of Darkness collection.

I think there are actually a lot of different possibilities this time around (at least for the mainline console entries):

Option 1 - No New Mainline Game In 2024
Truthfully, I like this option because it (in theory) gives Gamefreak more time and resources to focus on Gen 10 in 2025 (or even better, 2026 for the anniversary). I think despite the initial disappointment of there being no new game this year, most would be pleased knowing that Gamefreak is taking the quality of Gen 10 more seriously. This announcement could easily be supplemented with adding legacy Gameboy + Advance titles onto NSO (possibly via shadowdrop). The major problem with this is that the anime, trading cards, merchandise etc. would have to find something different to adapt until 2025, which makes this scenario fairly unlikely.

Option 2 - New Non-Gamefreak Developed Mainline Game
Again, this option gives Gamefreak more time and resources towards Gen 10 while also giving the transmedia content something to tie-into (plus another 10 million plus seller in sales). I don't think Gamefreak/TPC would let another developer handle anything besides a remake, so that's what I'll speculate on below.

ILCA seems like the most likely developer, but I've seen conflicting theories on whether or not Gamefreak was happy with how BDSP turned out.

Platinum Remake - ILCA could build off BDSP and fix many of its problems. A more faithful remake could be better received this time around and would be the easiest option to develop. At the same time, this would likely be retreading ground from a nostalgia perspective and would be viewed as a cash grab (even if there are notable improvements).

Black/White Remake - Again, ILCA could handle this either by building off BDSP or starting from scratch in a new style (HD-2D please!). Personally, I think it's a bit too soon for this and I'd rather they hold off until after Gen 10 and we are fully into the next generation. Assuming this differentiates itself from BDSP, it could be well-received. Personally, I think a safe/faithful remake of BW would land better than BDSP because those games have aged more gracefully, but that's just my opinion.

Option 3 - New Gamefreak Developed Mainline Game
Ultimately, this takes away resources from Gen 10, which I'm not thrilled about, but it's absolutely a possibility that should be considered.

New Legends Game - The most likely options are adaptations of either Johto (Legends: Celebi) or Unova (Legends: Kyruem) based on leaks/speculation and my own predictions. Gamefreak already has a well-received base to work off of and could expand the formula. I would be most hyped for this scenario.

New Let's Go Game - Would likely be Let's Go Johto (I'm not sure what the Pikachu/Eevee replacements would be in the title). Pokemon Go is still very big, though not as big as it was when LGPE came out. Again, they have a well-received base to work off of and could rush this out fairly quickly. Seems less likely than a new Legends game to me.

New Style of Mainline Game - Obviously this is very difficult to predict, but Gamefreak has already made two new styles this console generation. There's no reason they couldn't go for a third.

Black/White 3 - This seems like wishful thinking on the fanbase's part IMO. Would it be in the Scarlet/Violet engine or would it be 2D? Black/White 1 & 2 aren't available on modern platforms and they're going to release the third? I just don't see this happening (but would love to be wrong!).

More Scarlet/Violet DLC - Could be launched alongside the Swtich 2 with a next-gen patch that fixes graphical fidelity/performance/bugs for the base game. While not impossible, we have no precedent for a game having two years worth of DLC. Admittedly, I like this option given it would be easier to make than a new game and could help reclaim the game from being solely remembered for its raft of technical issues.

Gen 10 Comes Early - Seems very, very unlikely, but it's technically possible. Would it be made for Switch 2, be cross-gen, or be a Switch 1 game? Hopefully, we don't have to find out this holiday.

Gen 5 Remakes (but by Gamefreak) - Maybe Gamefreak felt burned by ILCA and never wants to work with them again, so they'll remake their own games from now on. Again, this is very unlikely, but technically a possibility. See option 2 for remake speculation.

Option 4 - New Gamefreak and Non-Gamefreak Developed Mainline Games
Similarly to how we got BDSP and PLA released close together, it's possible they could try and repeat the success by launching another remake and Legends game around Holiday 2024. In this scenario, the most likely option would be a remake of Gen 5 and Legends Unova or a remake of Gen 2 and Legends Johto. If this is the case, I hope they will use the opportunity to experiment with their first Switch 2 game. I would also worry much more about Gen 10 in this scenario, especially if it's coming as soon as 2025.

They save remakes for even number generations these days (gens 4, 6, and 8), so I’m not expecting Unova until after Gen 10. So they’re most likely doing something weird like Let’s GO or Legends. Though I’m not expecting sequels to either of those because Let’s GO underperformed in Japan and Legends is too recent and will most likely be seen again with Gen 5 remakes. I think we’ll get something unique that I can’t really predict.

Quoted by: Tab
God, please no.
Not sure how much of a hot take that is, but I got Shinning Pearl for about 25 euros on sale and I enjoyed them quite a lot for they were (the base of the game was very solid, and gen 4 is my second favorite generation). Getting rid of HMs alone massively improved the experience for me. Obviously not worth 60 euros but I still think kmowing their flaws theynare worth picking them up at the right price.

They should have remake Platinum though.

- GS remake with LGPE engine/artstyle November 2024

- Legends celebi Q1 2025.

Both built on switch 1 but run better (resolution and FPS) on switch 2 so they can help next gen sales with minimum effort.

I hope I'm not alone in this but I sincerely hope Let's Go was just a one-off game. I would be far more interested in Legends: Celebi that could deepen the lore surrounding Johto with the tale leading up to the events of the Burnt Tower, the legendary gerbils, the Unown, Lugia's hidden power in the Whirl Islands, and on the far-off chance they might resolve the mystery of the GS ball that was never addressed in the anime (something about how it was supposed to contain Celebi but that storyline wasn't fully developed so it was dropped). Celebi is a literal time traveling fairy that would make more sense to send a player character back in time than just literal God in the Pokéworld

I have no desire to revisit Johto with mobile phone game mechanics translated to a console with subpar control schemes that won't even allow the use of a Pro Controller.

Gen 5 remakes I think are practically a given, plus a new spin-off like dungeon or even snap could be announced. The wild card to me is a new legends game, because it’s been 2 years since arceus and they said legends arceus started up “a new pillar for the franchise”, so I could see the, announcing one here or waiting for 2025. Either way, I think we’re in for an entertaining Pokémon day

I want to believe that we're going to get a new Legends since it's the best Pokémon experience I had since the original RSE, but I feel both Let's Go and Legends are just one-off games. We might get a third kind of sub-franchise at best, although I wouldn't be so sure.

In my opinion we will have Gen 5 remakes made by another studio, with classic gameplay and beautiful art style (so TPC show us they learnt the lesson with Gen 4 remakes), but nothing from Gamefreak apart from SV content.

They save remakes for even number generations these days (gens 4, 6, and 8), so I’m not expecting Unova until after Gen 10.
I don't think it's certain there's really a generational pattern to it. Gens 5 and 7 were at the end of their respective consoles lifespan, with their successors already out by the time Black 2/White 2 and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon released. They weren't going to linger on the old consoles any longer by that point. This year's release would actually be in line with those two games as well, as the Switch 2 will almost certainly be out by the time this year's Pokemon comes out.

Of course, there's no guarantee this years release will be a Unova remake. But even some sort of Let's Go Johto game would still be a remake. Personally though, I think there's going to be a sort of curveball this year.

The Original Dragon is one of the unrevealed bits of lore from the original Gen 5 games. Specifically, Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem used to be one being before they split apart, ie. the Original Dragon. The Black 2 and White 2 games saw the fusions of Kyurem with one of the other two dragons, but the fusion of all three is still a mystery.
ohhh, okay. i know what you're referring to now. just didn't remember it being referred to as original dragon in the games. thanks!

that could be pretty interesting.

I’m frankly more interested in a spinoff game than the less than 2 year developed 5 piece gum budget mainline games.

A new mystery dungeon or conquest 2 would be lovely.

But it’s likely Gen 5 remake that will be butchered.

Legends was my favourite Pokémon game in years because it was more reserved in what it tried to achieve instead of trying to be a jack of all traits, so I voted for that.
It focused on a few things to make them as good as possible and succeeded.
It deemphasized trainer battles cause they just weren't as good in there.

I just don't think it has been enough time for any the poll options actually other than a spinoff.
And Legends is still very adjacent to the normal mainline games.
I really don't want another undercooked game.

I think there are actually a lot of different possibilities this time around (at least for the mainline console entries):

Option 1 - No New Mainline Game In 2024
Truthfully, I like this option because it (in theory) gives Gamefreak more time and resources to focus on Gen 10 in 2025 (or even better, 2026 for the anniversary). I think despite the initial disappointment of there being no new game this year, most would be pleased knowing that Gamefreak is taking the quality of Gen 10 more seriously. This announcement could easily be supplemented with adding legacy Gameboy + Advance titles onto NSO (possibly via shadowdrop). The major problem with this is that the anime, trading cards, merchandise etc. would have to find something different to adapt until 2025, which makes this scenario fairly unlikely.

Option 2 - New Non-Gamefreak Developed Mainline Game
Again, this option gives Gamefreak more time and resources towards Gen 10 while also giving the transmedia content something to tie-into (plus another 10 million plus seller in sales). I don't think Gamefreak/TPC would let another developer handle anything besides a remake, so that's what I'll speculate on below.

ILCA seems like the most likely developer, but I've seen conflicting theories on whether or not Gamefreak was happy with how BDSP turned out.

Platinum Remake - ILCA could build off BDSP and fix many of its problems. A more faithful remake could be better received this time around and would be the easiest option to develop. At the same time, this would likely be retreading ground from a nostalgia perspective and would be viewed as a cash grab (even if there are notable improvements).

Black/White Remake - Again, ILCA could handle this either by building off BDSP or starting from scratch in a new style (HD-2D please!). Personally, I think it's a bit too soon for this and I'd rather they hold off until after Gen 10 and we are fully into the next generation. Assuming this differentiates itself from BDSP, it could be well-received. Personally, I think a safe/faithful remake of BW would land better than BDSP because those games have aged more gracefully, but that's just my opinion.

Option 3 - New Gamefreak Developed Mainline Game
Ultimately, this takes away resources from Gen 10, which I'm not thrilled about, but it's absolutely a possibility that should be considered.

New Legends Game - The most likely options are adaptations of either Johto (Legends: Celebi) or Unova (Legends: Kyruem) based on leaks/speculation and my own predictions. Gamefreak already has a well-received base to work off of and could expand the formula. I would be most hyped for this scenario.

New Let's Go Game - Would likely be Let's Go Johto (I'm not sure what the Pikachu/Eevee replacements would be in the title). Pokemon Go is still very big, though not as big as it was when LGPE came out. Again, they have a well-received base to work off of and could rush this out fairly quickly. Seems less likely than a new Legends game to me.

New Style of Mainline Game - Obviously this is very difficult to predict, but Gamefreak has already made two new styles this console generation. There's no reason they couldn't go for a third.

Black/White 3 - This seems like wishful thinking on the fanbase's part IMO. Would it be in the Scarlet/Violet engine or would it be 2D? Black/White 1 & 2 aren't available on modern platforms and they're going to release the third? I just don't see this happening (but would love to be wrong!).

More Scarlet/Violet DLC - Could be launched alongside the Swtich 2 with a next-gen patch that fixes graphical fidelity/performance/bugs for the base game. While not impossible, we have no precedent for a game having two years worth of DLC. Admittedly, I like this option given it would be easier to make than a new game and could help reclaim the game from being solely remembered for its raft of technical issues.

Gen 10 Comes Early - Seems very, very unlikely, but it's technically possible. Would it be made for Switch 2, be cross-gen, or be a Switch 1 game? Hopefully, we don't have to find out this holiday.

Gen 5 Remakes (but by Gamefreak) - Maybe Gamefreak felt burned by ILCA and never wants to work with them again, so they'll remake their own games from now on. Again, this is very unlikely, but technically a possibility. See option 2 for remake speculation.

Option 4 - New Gamefreak and Non-Gamefreak Developed Mainline Games
Similarly to how we got BDSP and PLA released close together, it's possible they could try and repeat the success by launching another remake and Legends game around Holiday 2024. In this scenario, the most likely option would be a remake of Gen 5 and Legends Unova or a remake of Gen 2 and Legends Johto. If this is the case, I hope they will use the opportunity to experiment with their first Switch 2 game. I would also worry much more about Gen 10 in this scenario, especially if it's coming as soon as 2025.
option 1 would be the lawfully good path, something i wish would happen. however, i heavily doubt it, unfortunately.

i don't think an entirely new mainline game is likely, nor a B/W 3, agreed there. legends or let's go seem like a possibility to me. i would put more weight on let's go, if only it weren't for the fact that it is fundamentally tied into Go in most ways. though, i'm not sure if that really matters? i feel like a lot of people probably bought LGPE just because it was a remake of gen 1, much like a LG johto would pull people in just because it's a remake of gen 2.

gen 10 coming early would truly be the chaotic evil of it all. i don't think, and massively hope, for that not to happen. i can see GF developing B/W remakes alongside another developer as a possibility, actually. maybe not even ILCA, but namco or something. they have worked together before on pokken and there's that new contracting studio namco just made as well..! this would let them have more control over it while not having everyone in the studio focused on remakes.
I hope I'm not alone in this but I sincerely hope Let's Go was just a one-off game. I would be far more interested in Legends: Celebi that could deepen the lore surrounding Johto with the tale leading up to the events of the Burnt Tower, the legendary gerbils, the Unown, Lugia's hidden power in the Whirl Islands, and on the far-off chance they might resolve the mystery of the GS ball that was never addressed in the anime (something about how it was supposed to contain Celebi but that storyline wasn't fully developed so it was dropped). Celebi is a literal time traveling fairy that would make more sense to send a player character back in time than just literal God in the Pokéworld

I have no desire to revisit Johto with mobile phone game mechanics translated to a console with subpar control schemes that won't even allow the use of a Pro Controller.
all of those sound like very interesting ideas for legends! i would be okay with another LG, but primarily because i would hope that means they just use the LGPE engine and assets and do a Johto version for switch 1. low effort, yes, but hopefully that would mean they have a "stop gap" so they have more time to focus on better things for the switch 2.

ohhh, okay. i know what you're referring to now. just didn't remember it being referred to as original dragon in the games. thanks!

that could be pretty interesting.
Pretty sure it's a fan nickname, we don't have an official name for it, or even an official descriptor.

The games speculate that Kyurem is its discarded shell, so it's entirely possible the Original Dragon would just be a complete form of Kyurem. Or it could be something entirely different.

Maybe they'll do a johto remake then a new unova game, tackling different regions/gens might be better than two of the same gen a few months apart like last time. Maybe that's why they crammed so much unova into the dlc because that's being used as people's new "introduction" to gen 5

One of the things pointing me towards gen 5 being the focus this gen is the sheer amount of Unova pandering in the Indigo Disc with two characters being direct relatives and how the Terrarium contains B2W2's hidden Nature Preserve.

There's also the fact that the largest number of missing Pokemon left unavailable in gen 9 (outside of Home transfering) specifically come from Unova.

My main reason why I believe they will remake both games in gen 5 is because there's enough differences in terms of story, characters, and content while still being similar enough to remake them together to remake both of them. The only other games that work this way are gen 7, but I could see USUM's unique content being folded into SM's remakes.

Thats being said, Kitikami, despite the real world one being closer to Kanto, has enough Japanese vibes you could say they could be doing something with Johto, the most Japanese of the Pokemon regions. But then again, I don't remember people talking about any sort of Johto pandering in The Teal Mask. If the Epilouge story has any Johto pandering, this might change my mind.

49% ILCA gen 4, 50% ILCA gen 5 and/or Prophecies Kyurem, 1% Not gen 10 but something new. 0% Lets go Johto (lmao).

I actually would really prefer lets go Johto in 2024 (I know its dead, at the least the art style is consistent and pleasant if not very basic, and they have kanto built for post game already),
and then a substantially improved ILCA gen 5 (bW2 as DLC? or later release hopefully not dropped entirely?) in early 2025, as Cross gen to Switch 2.
And then Prophecies Kyurem with more towns/trainers as the big big pokemon game with an extra year for polish as the first big Switch 2 pokemon game. Late 2025/early 26
Heck even pad out the release schedule with DLC for any of these so the next big release can be polished.

Then gen 10 later. 2026/2027 maybe.

New good spinoffs would be good also.

Realistically it will be ICLA gen 5 late 2024, Legends gen 5 early 2025, and then Gen 10 either late 2025 or some point in 2026. Hopefully using legends gen 5 dlc to push gen 10 to late 2026.

Something Unova from Game Freak themselves. The usual mainline mid-gen game, either a full-on Legends title or something more traditional-RPG-ish that takes player movement and catching mechanics from it. Ideally not a remake but a new storyline althogheter. Too much Unova teasing for the next game to be set in Johto methinks, though that would be one hell of a curve ball from the studio.

My only real concern for whatever it is they're making is Game Freak not having fixed what the hell's going on with their engine, and not having updated, not even a little, their tech and tools. Though they seem to be doing that at least, going off of their tech talks.

Only thing that has me skeptical of something more expansive in scope than a Legends type of game is that a more traditional RPG would likely mean an even larger developer headcount than PLA, their biggest mid-gen game yet, which was then followed by their biggest new-gen game yet with SV. The size and costs (yes, they can more than afford it) of their productions would be scaling up at such a rapid pace. On the bright side this project wasn't impacted by COVID nowhere near as much as something like PLA/BDSP/SV+DLC were, no doubt.

I know that Unova is already getting the spotlight in S/V’s DLC, and multiple Pokémon leakers are pointing towards B/W remakes… but I just don’t feel like they are going to put out Gen 5 remakes this soon, only 3 years after BDSP.

My gut feeling is still that we’re going to see something Johto-focused, similar to Let’s Go but not quite leaning so hard into the GO aspect. As much as I would love a Legends Celebi, that just feels too much like a fandom pipe dream for me to have faith in it actually being reality.

Aside from that, the usual mobile/tcg/animation updates, and maybe a new Mystery Dungeon?

Last edited:
Outsourced Pokémon B/W remakes this year, cross-gen. (B/W2 will be remade, too, either holiday 2025, or DLC for B/W, in either case probably not mentioned at this Presents, even if I think they should.)

Pokémon Legends, next gen only, early-mid 2025, probably Unova, possibly Johto-Kanto.

A spinoff slated for mid 2024, like Mystery Dungeon or Pokken

Updates on the mobile titles and Pokémon HOME, probably minor.

Next Gen Patch for Scarlet and Violet detailed, launching day and date. Possibly a "long term support" announcement for ScVi detailing a handful of more returning Pokémon with attached raid events or mass outbreaks, balance patches, bugfixes, etc., they're going to stretch ScVi out across the console generation until Gen 10 in 2026.

Extremely hopeful, maybe, pessimistic in places, perhaps, but this is what I'm thinking.

Outsourced Pokémon B/W remakes this year, cross-gen. (B/W2 will be remade, too, either holiday 2025, or DLC for B/W, in either case probably not mentioned at this Presents, even if I think they should.)

Pokémon Legends, next gen only, early-mid 2025, probably Unova, possibly Johto-Kanto.

A spinoff slated for mid 2024, like Mystery Dungeon or Pokken

Updates on the mobile titles and Pokémon HOME, probably minor.

Next Gen Patch for Scarlet and Violet detailed, launching day and date. Possibly a "long term support" announcement for ScVi detailing a handful of more returning Pokémon with attached raid events or mass outbreaks, balance patches, bugfixes, etc., they're going to stretch ScVi out across the console generation until Gen 10 in 2026.

Extremely hopeful, maybe, pessimistic in places, perhaps, but this is what I'm thinking.
i really wonder how feasible a next-gen patch for scarlet/violet is. we have no precedent to prove nintendo or game freak would want something like this because there simply has been no reason or popularity of this in the past. yet, next-gen patches are definitely a thing now, seeing as how sony is implementing them for PS5. i'll be really interested to see if nintendo wants that. i'm not convinced either way yet. if anything, though, scarlet/violet is probably one of the games on switch that needs it most.

Back
Top Bottom