• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Mental Health [ST]

What economic status do you have and how do you feel

• Poor mentall illness

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Poor no mentall illness

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Middle class mentall illness

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Middle class no mental illness

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Upper middle class mental ilness

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Upper middle class no mental illness

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Jeff musk zuckerberg the 3rd mental illness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jeff musk zuckerberg the 3rd no mental illness

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FluffyPower

Devil Bringer
Pronouns
They
Hi, I'm not aiming for this to be the final version or anything, I just wanted there to be a thread in the meantime. It's been especially trying times the past two years for everyone, so I wanted to make a mental health community thread.

Suicide Hotline for United States:

800-273-8255

(Spanish and English available)

https://www.therapyroute.com/article/suicide-hotlines-and-crisis-lines-in-the-united-kingdom

This site provides services and links for all kinds of Health Services across the United Kingdom from Suicide Prevention to resources for patients with Bipolar.

UK:

Tel: 0800 689 5652

UK and Ireland:

Tel: 116 123

This link provides links for services across Europe

Including Germany, France, Croatia, and Austria.

Similar Resources for South America

Including Argentina, Brazil, and Colombia

Suicide Hotline – Mexico​

Contact Info​

Phone Resource, MEXICO5255102550
Website
Mexico Suicide Hotline: 5255102550

LGBT friendly support:

Call or Text 1-800-985-5990 or 1-800-273-8255

877-585-8860

Trans suicide hotline Canada: 1-877-330-6366

Australia hotline and resources: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/who-d...n-for-gay-guys-by-gay-guys/suicide-prevention

UK hotline and resources: https://www.papyrus-uk.org/help-advice/lgbtqia/ (Call: 0800 068 41 41; Text: 07860 039 967)

Canadian hotlines and resources: https://www.kidthink.ca/resources-for-crisis-support-lines/

Please, come in, vent your problems, talk about your troubles, whatever you want. This thread is for everyone.

Last edited:
Just need to vent about something that's stressing me out.
Honestly completely fed up with school right now. Two (online, fuck me!) group projects due on the same day, one filled with idiots who cannot read instructions (CITE YOUR FUCKING SOURCES) and a professor who just will not respond to emails, and another with people who aren't doing anything, so I'm carrying. On top of a pile of other assignments due at the same time. I'm filing through them as fast as I can, but this is ruining me. Not sure what I should do.

Thanks for the thread. I think these things are necessary to talk about.

Going through a major crisis myself that is taking an enormous toll on my well-being. Ever since I've been forced to moved back to the town I've desperately wanted to escape from, I've been in a constant, suffocating state of depression. It feels like I'm barely scraping through, trying to play games and take walks in order to stay afloat and not break down, but sometimes I don't even have energy for that.

Feels like I'm slowly losing control of my life. Financial issues, unemployed, single, fragile friendships and completely stifled creativity. I know that if I felt better, I could do something about some of these things, but the depression sometimes is so prevalent that I find myself unable to hold on.

I was wondering if we had a thread for this and I'm so glad it's been made even if it is not the finished edition. It is an unbelievably important subject to me - for those who didn't see my posts in the Nintendo General Discussion thread I live on disability because of anxiety, asperger's syndrome, and OCD. I've wanted to be in a thread in like this because if I can help anyone in some small way I'd like to try.

So I'll start by saying to both you, Robert, and you, Irene, even though I can't know the exact feeling of what your respective situations are like I can understand how anyone can feel stressed and out of control. I know you also can't apply a one-size-fits-all solution to every problem but I do know you can find solutions. Sometimes simple perseverance is enough to get through things other times it may take more but at least there's always a place here where we will support you.

I'll try to respond to anyone who posts in this thread with whatever encouragement I can. I don't want anyone to feel like their posts are being forgotten. It wouldn't make sense to "Yeah" some of these posts but I want for people to know that someone is listening to them and is thinking about them.

Being the family caretaker sucks. “Hey, her career’s going nowhere, she has no kids, she can take care of her parents.” I already had some mental health issues on top of this but I just feel drained all the time. I spend 99% of my time waiting for the 1% when shit goes sideways and it’s gotten into my head to the point where I constantly expect an ambulance to be pulling up even though I‘m the one who calls them and shouldn’t be expecting one when there’s no emergencies. If that makes any sense.

Recently quit therapy. Felt like it was going nowhere. I overall feel better, but my therapist kept ignoring me when I brought up my body image issues. Guess I'll just have to work on that myself.

Being the family caretaker sucks. “Hey, her career’s going nowhere, she has no kids, she can take care of her parents.” I already had some mental health issues on top of this but I just feel drained all the time. I spend 99% of my time waiting for the 1% when shit goes sideways and it’s gotten into my head to the point where I constantly expect an ambulance to be pulling up even though I‘m the one who calls them and shouldn’t be expecting one when there’s no emergencies. If that makes any sense.

My parents are getting up there in age and I've had to watch out for them. I'm constantly worried about their safety. I would try to focus on that 99% part - if most of the time things are okay, you can allow yourself to feel calmer and not like you have to be on 24/7 watch. I know from experience what it's like to stress out endlessly about something that doesn't happen most of the time. In those situations it helps to ask yourself what is the likelyhood of a catastrophe and if it's not as high then hopefully you can begin to relax and feel less concerned about things.

Recently quit therapy. Felt like it was going nowhere. I overall feel better, but my therapist kept ignoring me when I brought up my body image issues. Guess I'll just have to work on that myself.
It's good that you feel better. Sometimes you hit a wall with a therapist and there's just nothing that can be done - it's nobody's fault. Keep working on whatever you feel you have to but remember there's always other doctors out there who may be able to give you a new perspective.

I hope I'm doing a good job with this. Just want to help everybody as best as I can.

I think you’re doing an excellent job.

I’ve got a bit of a support network, at least. I have a lot of difficulty staying mindful or in the moment (thanks, executive dysfunction).

Therapy can be frustrating at times, especially when there can be a disconnect between what one needs and what the therapist sees, I've been there myself.

It's always good to work on things though, hang in there! Sometimes we need time to find inner strength, with or without help. You can always pick up therapy again later if you feel the need, and find someone that can see you and meet your needs better.

Hi everyone,

I hope it's okay if I make this thread. I wanted us all to have a place to talk about how we're doing, what's happening in our lives, what we're enjoying and what we're struggling with.

You all know how to post in here I'm sure, but let me propose a few basic rules just to be safe:

• All of our feelings are valid. We will not argue about this and judge others.
  • We treat each other with respect, empathic understanding, and constructive feedback
  • We do not diagnose or label people in here; we focus on resources and strengths of a person
  • We provide help and advice if desired, to the best of our abilities

As psychologist Steve de Shazer put it:
Problem talk creates problems, solution talk creates solutions

I will expand this OT as needed.

Last edited:
Thank you for the idea. I'll open up a bit by saying that I am in constant battle with my consciousness regarding my decision to marry my wife. I am in a loveless marriage but I haven't told her about my true feelings, or rather lack thereof. We have a child now and I wonder time and time again how better my life would be if I had had the courage to man up and cancel everything when I could. Still, my life is not bad at all. However, I wonder how things will change as I grow older. I hope that my child, my wife and I won't be affected on the long term.

And since this is a collaborative (?) thread, I wonder if someone else have taken decisions against their heart and how they dealt with it eventually. I t would help me to hear about what others have to say in this regard.

Thank you for the idea. I'll open up a bit by saying that I am in constant battle with my consciousness regarding my decision to marry my wife. I am in a loveless marriage but I haven't told her about my true feelings, or rather lack thereof. We have a child now and I wonder time and time again how better my life would be if I had had the courage to man up and cancel everything when I could. Still, my life is not bad at all. However, I wonder how things will change as I grow older. I hope that my child, my wife and I won't be affected on the long term.

And since this is a collaborative (?) thread, I wonder if someone else have taken decisions against their heart and how they dealt with it eventually. I t would help me to hear about what others have to say in this regard.

you should see a psychologist if you have the chance and open up with a profissional. If you do, be sure to make a thoughtful research beforehand.

you should see a psychologist if you have the chance and open up with a profissional. If you do, be sure to make a thoughtful research beforehand.
Yes, I think I am ready to open up more about it. Thank you for your message.

Woo! I'm very mentally unwell these days, so I'll fit in perfectly in this thread!

giphy.gif

Life sucks and then you die. But in between you get to play some abnormally excellent video games (usually made by Nintendo), so at least there's that! 😄

Really nice idea, @takriel! (And so glad to see you here!)

Maybe this can be merged with the temp MH OT?

Thanks for this. I am in a bit of a happier place since I left my horrible workplace back in January, but I still feel like my life hasn't gone much of anywhere after I graduated from college in 2019.

Everything that's happening with Era is getting to me as Era is my main social outlet. :( I hope many posters find this board if Era does collapse.

Really nice idea, @takriel! (And so glad to see you here!)

Maybe this can be merged with the temp MH OT?

Glad to see you on here, as well, Nabbit!

Thank you for pointing that out. I somehow missed that thread when I checked before posting, my bad. Mods, feel free to merge them.

As for me, I've been ordering quite a lot of food lately, it's no doubt one of my less adaptive strategies to quickly deal with stress. I really wish I could muster the will to cook healthy food for myself, I would be able to save so much money lol. These spending habits can be really tough to deal with.

Bumping to merge this.

EDIT: I edited the thread and made it an ST as agreed upon by the moderation team.

Last edited:
Everything that's happening with Era is getting to me as Era is my main social outlet. :( I hope many posters find this board if Era does collapse.
PM people you like, just tell them people are slowly migrating here.

I did so with my IRL era friend who is a mod over there. He hasn't replied back to my text, I wonder what he's thinking.

I don’t have many friends and none IRL. My mental health is in the toilet. At least I’m lucky enough to have an OK therapist. But I hate even having to exist sometimes.

Starting out on anti-depressants was the worst, I had to go down to the lowest dosage and worked my way up to the highest dosage my doctor would prescribe me. I quit a shitty job the November before Covid and got very depressed, this was after dropping out of college when I was just that semester away from graduating because depression kept me from going to school. I developed Panic attacks that January and as things were looking up and I found my first graphic design job at a very good signs and graphics business. Three weeks later covid happened, and I find out on mother's day that they were letting me go. My anxiety and panic attacks developed to insane levels where I was once a very sociable and fairly outgoing. Covid tied to my mental illness only got things worst. I found a temporary job making face masks when benefits ended. And the job lasted me until this January, luckily right when benefits came back again for unemployment.
Since December this past year has been great, I finally got medicaid so I could see my first primary doctor at age 26. Started anti-depressants and hunted for a psychiatrist/therapist until I finally found a place to intake me in June. After they gave me the wrong therapist who didn't take my insurance, which is also why I wasn't able to get a psychiatrist right away, they were able to get me a better and my current therapist and a psychiatrist. I'm finally on the right medications and getting closer to the right dosages.

I've had deep depression since I was 7 do to bullying from home and school, living with my toxic narcissist grandfather who died exactly a year ago, struggled with homelessness for a year and constantly being forced to go outside to make friends during a time parents stopped having their kids go outside anymore and my gen x parents didn't get it yet. Having to make up fantasies and day dream from my childhood to today to keep me occupied.

I hope everyone can finally get the therapy and psychiatry they need. I finally found a part time job at a different signs and graphics place and interviewing for another part time job at my old work study at the graphics department at my college to fill the other half of my hours. I actually feel like a regular person and while I'm still not as productive as I like, I'm getting closer and closer to living a much better life just by finally getting access to the medical care I needed. And I would had never been able to get here without the state's free health care.

So in essence. LETS MAKE HEALTH CARE AVAILABLE AND FREE TO EVERYONE IN THE STATES.

My parents are getting up there in age and I've had to watch out for them
Aging parents is the worst thing I worry about. My dad already is in the hospital and is dealing with two infections. He is a diabetic and doesn't really take care of himself as well as he should. I am a type 2 diabetic as of 2019. Diabetes is a rough thing for sure. I worry what I'd do without my parents. they have life insurance and stuff, but yeaah...

I don’t have many friends and none IRL. My mental health is in the toilet. At least I’m lucky enough to have an OK therapist. But I hate even having to exist sometimes.
Very sorry to hear that. I know what it feels like to be lonely. Let me know if you're up for a chat from time to time. That goes for anyone who needs someone to talk to. I'm a pretty good listener!

Aging parents is the worst thing I worry about. My dad already is in the hospital and is dealing with two infections. He is a diabetic and doesn't really take care of himself as well as he should. I am a type 2 diabetic as of 2019. Diabetes is a rough thing for sure. I worry what I'd do without my parents. they have life insurance and stuff, but yeaah...
My Dad is also diabetic. He does take care of himself, Mom too, I'm just more worried in the freak accident sense. But I share many of the concerns you have and the feeling of what would you do without them.

As an aside I'm thinking twice about my decision to post here. It's a nice place, but having never interacted on a message board it's beginning to get overwhelming and I find myself wishing I never joined. I'm considering deleting my account although I'll think about it some more. The "Delete account" option on my menu says I don't have permission to perform this action so I'm guessing I need a moderator.

I've been depressed for nearly three years now and I've gotten to the point where not expecting to feel particularly happy has made it easier to get through the day. It's the sort of twisted form of optimism I've developed, but I'm sure I'll get out of my rut someday

I've been depressed for nearly three years now and I've gotten to the point where not expecting to feel particularly happy has made it easier to get through the day. It's the sort of twisted form of optimism I've developed, but I'm sure I'll get out of my rut someday
1f39f1e92a0e0808050d122eb917eaf7.jpg

My Dad is also diabetic. He does take care of himself, Mom too, I'm just more worried in the freak accident sense. But I share many of the concerns you have and the feeling of what would you do without them.

As an aside I'm thinking twice about my decision to post here. It's a nice place, but having never interacted on a message board it's beginning to get overwhelming and I find myself wishing I never joined. I'm considering deleting my account although I'll think about it some more. The "Delete account" option on my menu says I don't have permission to perform this action so I'm guessing I need a moderator.
It would be very sad if we were to lose you. You've been doing a great job in here supporting people!

It would be very sad if we were to lose you. You've been doing a great job in here supporting people!
Thanks. I just hope more people see this thread and keep supporting each other. You've been doing that too and it's great to witness.

For several reasons, I will hide this post.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I've been hitting weird slumps of complete lack of motivation and nearly requiring small naps throughout the day, but today I was able to overcome it by cooking a nice big dinner from scratch for me and my partner. I had planned on working out and didn't work up the motivation for it, but this was a nice sub :)

What up, also in the aging parent with type 2 diabetes club. Every day is a struggle to get my dad to eat sensibly and he is the pickiest damn eater who won’t take care of himself if I or my mom aren’t around.

Meanwhile, he gets sick less often than my mom, who takes way better care of herself and eats better.

Every day is a struggle to get my dad to eat sensibly and he is the pickiest damn eater who won’t take care of himself if I or my mom aren’t around.
I am a picky as hell eater too and always have been. I get that for sure.

Just been struggling lately, heavily considering getting therapy or something, but I need support and encouragement which I don't get much off. I try talking to people about my feelings but it usually gets shrugged off. It's hard getting out of bed, or doing simple things. It's not like this all the time, I can be happy and have good times. I'm just stuck in life, that's all I guess.

Just been struggling lately, heavily considering getting therapy or something, but I need support and encouragement which I don't get much off. I try talking to people about my feelings but it usually gets shrugged off. It's hard getting out of bed, or doing simple things. It's not like this all the time, I can be happy and have good times. I'm just stuck in life, that's all I guess.
Therapy has helped me immensely and I always think it's a good idea. Don't be afraid to try different therapists either, sometimes you need to find the right one but it is absolutely worth it. As for your difficulties with finding motivation to get out of bed I think if you can cling to the things that do make you happy then that's good reason enough. Then it's about finding more of those things and more reasons to get up.

There's a greater number of people and posts now but I hope everyone keeps sticking through adversity, I do believe you can overcome anything with the right support around you. I hope more members continue to share their experiences - also those who have already posted don't be afraid to update us and let us know if your situations are getting better.

Thanks for making this thread. I think anyone can benefit from talking about their feelings, even if they're not dealing with anything specific.

I feel like I'm losing contact with my friends as well. A lot of them moved away. Even work friends move on and contact kinda fades. Mostly speak to them online, but it's not the same. Weekends go by where I just sit at home doing nothing. Can't do as much by myself now due to the turning weather. I'm holding together fine but I won't deny feeling a bit lonely sometimes.

I never really have sadly. It doesn't help people around me when I was little were jerks about me not trying a food or new thing.
That is the worst thing people can do, ugh. Making people scared of being lectured of not wanting to try a new food just makes it harder to try new things. I’m sorry.

also internet posting riled my anxiety up lol

stupid brain, I know it’s trying to protect me but all I can think is “oh god what if I made someone angry or hurt their feelings,” “what if people hate me,” etc etc

fun times

Thanks for making this thread. I think anyone can benefit from talking about their feelings, even if they're not dealing with anything specific.

I feel like I'm losing contact with my friends as well. A lot of them moved away. Even work friends move on and contact kinda fades. Mostly speak to them online, but it's not the same. Weekends go by where I just sit at home doing nothing. Can't do as much by myself now due to the turning weather. I'm holding together fine but I won't deny feeling a bit lonely sometimes.

Having a good network around you can really be beneficial for your well-being, but I struggle in that department as well. While my life is at a complete standstill, my friends move out, starts to study, move abroad, move on and don't seem to have much time anymore, and I can't help but feel sidelined, even though I know it's on me for not being able to muster the energy to keep contacting people.

I feel lonely too, so I feel you. I'm actually a bit shy and introverted, but I still miss company, and a social context. Is there anything you feel you can do to alleviate the situation? I can really understand not having the energy to do much, that's kinda where I'm at, but sometimes I manage to pull through and maybe do something small.

Having a good network around you can really be beneficial for your well-being, but I struggle in that department as well. While my life is at a complete standstill, my friends move out, starts to study, move abroad, move on and don't seem to have much time anymore, and I can't help but feel sidelined, even though I know it's on me for not being able to muster the energy to keep contacting people.

I feel lonely too, so I feel you. I'm actually a bit shy and introverted, but I still miss company, and a social context. Is there anything you feel you can do to alleviate the situation? I can really understand not having the energy to do much, that's kinda where I'm at, but sometimes I manage to pull through and maybe do something small.
I have difficulty meeting new people. That's the problem though, I feel lonely when I'm by myself for long stretches and enjoy the company of close friends, but I do not enjoy the process of MAKING friends at all. I guess I'm not that good at maintaining relationships, since I'm not really the texting type or one to really initiate much. I have been putting an effort into that last point, though it hurts a bit since someone I thought I was closer with isn't really responding in turn :(

As someone whos not that old but also got to live through the 90s, its a reality that we live in tougher times today. Also, cant help but think that the internet was not an addiction to a regular social life but a subtraction in general. People live more alienated from each other than ever, its tough mentally. And i say this as someone who manages just fine being alone

As someone whos not that old but also got to live through the 90s, its a reality that we live in tougher times today. Also, cant help but think that the internet was not an addiction to a regular social life but a subtraction in general. People live more alienated from each other than ever, its tough mentally. And i say this as someone who manages just fine being alone
Seeing people so disconnected from one another makes me feel low. If I'm out and I see a family around a dinner table and everyone is on their phone. People who can't be away from them for more than five minutes. It really gets to me sometimes. Even when I'm out with friends they spend more time on their phones than in the moment. The internet and social media and phones have given us tremendous opportunity and advantages but we're all living together alone these days.

Things are getting worse. Slowly deteriorating. Guess a little backstory is needed: I went through a work capacity evaluation program for 3 years, determining that my maximum work capacity is 10 hours a week. That's it, if I work more, I get anxious, disorganized, disoriented and exhausted.

That's how deep it goes for me. And it makes it impossible to find something that generates an income. It makes me feel worthless and useless, fragile even, and it's hard for me to find a place to go to. I've applied for a programming course next year at 25% speed, (from home) but it feels like such a downer and a plan B. I wish I was better, stronger, but my mental health is putting a stopper at every aspect of my life, and I hate it.

Back
Top Bottom