• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

lemme dig into this recipe system finall
I get so invested in the cooking. Like sure at the end of the day simmered fruit will give the same number of hearts as more complex dishes, but dammit, Link is busting his ass saving the world, he can at least have delicious grub. Seafood fried rice, meat curry, pilaf, he's gotta have those.

Addison should be employee of the year for all years
Speaking of which, I really need to go and eat his rice balls. Link's gourmet status is being threatened.

AND the disconnecting of attached Joy-Cons while playing handheld gets really annoying (doesn't have to do with the game, but still)
Yeah my v1 Switch does this too sometimes, with the left joycon. If I hold it in the right position then it's not a problem and I can play for hours, but gotta be careful otherwise it'll start doing it every few seconds. Probably the railing became slightly misaligned. Annoying as shit

Killed my first Gleeok and it wasn't... that hard? I only have 8 hearts (sure I took a meal that gave me 4 extra more) but fusing arrows with Keese eyes makes it pretty straightforward. Maybe it was the variant I faced, since I had places to hide from its attacks and it barealy hit me two times.

The most miniscule complaint someone could have for this game but it really irks me that dazzlefruits, splashfruits and shockfruits all grow on the same tree lol

Moving my reply to this thread because I assume people in the Direct thread don't want to dodge TotK spoilers...

Shrines in the overworld would be weird because all of them have a matching lightroot in the depths and there's really no space for those anymore anymore. I guess they could justify it somehow but it would be inconsistent with their world design.

For that reason I think that the most likely outcome for new DLC is shrines on new sky islands, more loot in caves that have opened up and new bosses in the depths. I'm not sure how they would fit it in the story since I haven't finished the game but it could be a pre-final boss thing again.
Oh yeah, now that I think about it, bosses in the depths would be cool. I remember the super powerful Molduga and Igneo Talus that TCB added. Those felt kinda like superbosses. There’s definitely lots of room down there for that

Shrines could be in Sky Islands, but if they go this route, I’d like the island as a whole to have a lot of effort put into it. Something that feels different, probably with a unique dungeon on it also. Just a really neat, new landmass overall.

Best case scenario for me is still a separate campaign, something of a mini Zelda
game on its own. Be that a smaller and more compact open zone, or something that channels the more linear games. But at the end of the day, whatever they put out I’ll still eat it up 😭

AND the disconnecting of attached Joy-Cons while playing handheld gets really annoying (doesn't have to do with the game, but still)

If it's a problem of them being loose, like mine were, cut and place a small piece of insulating tape at the botton of the joycon rail which is loose, on the side that is in contact with the Switch rail. It will increase the friction with the Switch rail and help on that. If one is not enough, place another over the first one to make it thicker. I did it with mine and problem solved.

If it doesn't work for you, it's easy to remove.

0032278_electrical-insulating-tape.png

If it's a problem of them being loose, like mine were, cut and place a small piece of insulating tape at the botton of the joycon rail which is loose, on the side that is in contact with the Switch rail. It will increase the friction with the Switch rail and help on that. If one is not enough, place another over the first one to make it thicker. I did it with mine and problem solved.

If it doesn't work for you, it's easy to remove.

0032278_electrical-insulating-tape.png

That's a great idea! Thanks, I will try it this weekend.

That's a great idea! Thanks, I will try it this weekend.

You can also paste it on the Switch rail itself. Be it the Joycon or the Switch, do it in this area. If the tape is black, you won't even notice it's there. In my case I needed two pieces on one side and three on the other.

Bz7FUH3.jpg

I just got
Autobuild
and I'm now realizing that my complaints about the part leading up to
The Spirit Temple (the construct factory)
would have been significantly less frustrating with this ability. I would have preferred to be pushed a little harder via main story quests to get this earlier than have the experience that I had. Oh well, at least subsequent playthroughs will be better.

Without that ability I think I would have a pretty negative opinion about building in this game because I find it too cumbersome, so I'm definitely glad it's an option.

Endgame story quest spoilers: the moment where all the helpers show up for real was so cool. Really makes you feel like you've gathered an RPG party. Also the Phantom Ganon mob wave is intimidating at first but with the Master Sword it's not too bad, just gotta make sure you dodge a lot.

Also, I was today old when I learned that when fighting Lizalfos you could OHKO them by hitting them with the element strong against them. Was fighting a bunch of Fire Lizalfos in a tight corner and attached ice fruit to an arrow thinking "will this work...?" Then I just waited for them to come to me lmao.

I just got
Autobuild
and I'm now realizing that my complaints about the part leading up to
The Spirit Temple (the construct factory)
would have been significantly less frustrating with this ability. I would have preferred to be pushed a little harder via main story quests to get this earlier than have the experience that I had. Oh well, at least subsequent playthroughs will be better.

Without that ability I think I would have a pretty negative opinion about building in this game because I find it too cumbersome, so I'm definitely glad it's an option.
actually,
autobuild quest line is really early LOL

Something I think everyone should experience at least once in this game: if you see a dragon, hitch a ride until it goes into the Depths. So damn cool, and I love how the dragon theme still plays all serene-like while you ride it through the dark underground.

actually,
autobuild quest line is really early LOL

No I know, but it didn't really seem that important at the time and the game didn't really push me strongly in that direction, so I just ignored it. I wish I would have realized sooner how much it would impact my enjoyment of the building mechanics.

Oh yeah, now that I think about it, bosses in the depths would be cool. I remember the super powerful Molduga and Igneo Talus that TCB added. Those felt kinda like superbosses. There’s definitely lots of room down there for that

Shrines could be in Sky Islands, but if they go this route, I’d like the island as a whole to have a lot of effort put into it. Something that feels different, probably with a unique dungeon on it also. Just a really neat, new landmass overall.

Best case scenario for me is still a separate campaign, something of a mini Zelda
game on its own. Be that a smaller and more compact open zone, or something that channels the more linear games. But at the end of the day, whatever they put out I’ll still eat it up 😭

I see so much potential in a separate campaign, even without having finished the game. Playable Zelda in the past, epilogue after the events of TotK, mini-story set between BotW and TotK...

But I'm definitely going to keep my expectations in check due to the Champion's Ballad being kinda thin (even though it did have my favourite boss fight in the game). I expect at most some more sky islands with 4-8 shrines and a final dungeon so people can max out their stats. What's probably likeliest is a Zonai themed dungeon, hopefully with a different aesthetic from the shrines though lol. If they do that I hope they really lean into the dragon/owl/boar Triforce imagery they established in BotW which I found strangely absent in TotK aside from some details (clothing, chests etc.) I posted this before but fighting constructs based on those animals/creatures would be dope.

Unfortunately I think I am burning out on the game. I think I am going to play something else and return to it later. I have only done one dungeon :( In hindsight it was probably a mistake to play so much Breath of the Wild leading up to the release of this game. I going camping over the weekend and I am not bringing my switch so maybe that short break with recharge the batteries a bit. I have played everyday since release and am sitting at 65+ hours.

I was amazed at how many people were saying they were replaying BOTW in the weeks before this game, like surely it's obvious that would burn you out on TOTK?

Slightly off topic, but the narrative that botw and totk are not real Zeldas has become so incredibly frustrating in various internet discussions is simply unbearable. And the funny thing is that you can tell the narrative is mostly supported from people that never played a Zelda game before, they just want to knock totk down. Gamers complain when a series stay stale. Gamers complain when a series evolve. Gamers are trash.

I went in the central mine (or something like that in english, I'm playing in italian) and holy shit this game is huge

More than 25 hours in this game and I've barely done nothing

It is SO HUGE

Question about dungeon rewards and Koltin rewards:

I put on a Lizalfos mask so that one would ignore me because I couldn't be arsed fighting and was trying to get to a shooting star. I also had two of the sage spirits out wandering the map with me. Them being them, they attacked and subsequently killed the lizalfos, but from what I can tell it never went for me despite fighting them - possibly just because it was distracted or didn't have time.

Do we know if allies attacking something makes them realise you're wearing a mask, or is it possible to disguise yourself and just stand there doing nothing while they clear them out for you? TOTK idle game confirmed if so!

I was amazed at how many people were saying they were replaying BOTW in the weeks before this game, like surely it's obvious that would burn you out on TOTK?

I put off finishing it in lieu of wandering around in short spurs for years lol. I put in about 10 hours doing some shrines, side quests, finishing Tarrey Town, and then getting the ending. I know how ridiculous it sounds but I'm really bad at ending things I love and after a while I just thought "yeah I'm close to the end, I'll finish this in the run-up to the sequel to hype myself up a bit." It actually felt really poignant to get that closure and see it wrapped up at the end of the 'era' before moving onto the next.

I couldn't have done the full game without getting tired though.

Slightly off topic, but the narrative that botw and totk are not real Zeldas has become so incredibly frustrating in various internet discussions is simply unbearable.

It's definitely annoying, but you just have to ignore it. I get the instinct - Final Fantasy, for example, has grown in ways that don't fit my tastes but clearly fit the tastes of others, so I have to bite my tongue and remind myself it not being ideal for me doesn't mean it's suddenly "not real Final Fantasy." I also notice people using stuff like this as a wedge to gatekeep fandom - i.e. I saw some bait on Twitter about how "there are Zelda fans and BOTW fans, and Zelda fans can be BOTW fans but BOTW fans aren't Zelda fans" (lol). It's all very silly coming from grown adults!

Personally - and I've said this a hundred times so I'm sorry if it's getting stale - BOTW/TOTK give me the same sense of wonder the series did as a kid. To me they are such key entries at this point, a sort of second golden age. But it's all real Zelda! It's always been real Zelda! Well, maybe not the CD-i games.

Slightly off topic, but the narrative that botw and totk are not real Zeldas has become so incredibly frustrating in various internet discussions is simply unbearable. And the funny thing is that you can tell the narrative is mostly supported from people that never played a Zelda game before, they just want to knock totk down. Gamers complain when a series stay stale. Gamers complain when a series evolve. Gamers are trash.
It's annoying but these voices are ultimately just farts in the wind and completely drowned out by the scores, sales, praise and GOTY awards the game will get. The Zelda franchise is stronger than ever.

I knew it would happen and it is entirely my fault. That being said I have played like 5 more hours of TOTK since making that post so maybe I am not as burned out as I thought I was. It was more of a momentary thing. I leave to go camping this afternoon so I get a short break either way.

The [boss name]
Colgera
theme is etched into my brain.

Can't wait for Nintendo to release the official OST in Japan only and refuse to sell it to me.

Climbing huge cliffs in the depths might be my favorite part of the game. It's so tense when you climb out of range of a brightbloom seed light. You are just creeping up the wall in total darkness, praying that you reach a ledge before your stamina runs out.

The underground area has some surprising twists. I haven't even explored 30% of it but it keeps on giving. I like how the underground areas are also tightly linked to the world above. Exploring under death mountain is something else. You really feel the heat in that area.

Total time played sits at 60 hours now but I feel I barely scratched the surface. I'm still at 9 heart containers but I'm investing in stamina for now. I like to be mobile.

These Lucky Clover Gazette side adventures are quite fun, and they give a reasonable amount of money and some cool rewards as well. I've been doing them the whole week. Penn is great

(Shrine spoiler) As if skydiving wasn’t enough this game makes you shieldsurf FROM THE SKY, all the way to the bottom of the mountain. I think the snowy areas are the most improved compared to BotW, I’m legit having fun exploring Hebra and Lanayru now.

These Lucky Clover Gazette side adventures are quite fun
Know what, thank you, I’mma hit up some stables

used my trusty catapult to help another korok reach their friend
Tried to catapult a Korok too and uhhh it did not go as planned. Actually to say there was a plan might be overstating it.

Shrine spoiler) As if skydiving wasn’t enough this game makes you shieldsurf FROM THE SKY, all the way to the bottom of the mountain. I think the snowy areas are the most improved compared to BotW, I’m legit having fun exploring Hebra and Lanayru now.
I loved that shrine lol
felt like I was playing SSX

After completing the story, I'm just exploring and found something that temporarily shows you all the locations of caves and it's not a even side quest lol.

I think I'm gonna finish the game tomorrow when my girlfriend is away. I wanna play it on the big screen but don't want to spoil the ending for her lol.

I'll be back on progressing the story this weekend, progressing to the fourth dungeon. I love exploring around and goofing off but I also want to make sure I don't gas out on it before I complete the story.

Shot out of my last tower in the Gerudo Highlands, and I love how involved unlocking these towers are now.

Meant to start the Gerudo phenomenon, but of course got sidetracked in the depths for another 5 hours.

I explored the depths beneath Korok Forest, and so far one of my favorite things about this game has been seeing how old villages have changed, most for the worse since the Upheaval. The Deku Tree is in rough shape and so you have to heal him. Fighting Phantom Ganon down in his stomach as an overworld boss is contextually excellent but these are the moments where I wish the world had even just a little more variety in their overworld bosses. A unique monster would've been appropriate for a quest involving healing such an important character to the lore. Gohma's already been used in the fire temple but even a non-marbled Gohma would've played well as a throwback.

The game has rarely ever felt like much of a retread of BOTW, despite the overworld reuse, but being in Korok Forest, going through those motions of shrine quests given by the Koroks, is one of those moments where it does. I wish they did something a little different.

I loved that shrine lol
felt like I was playing SSX
(shrine spoiler) Hey Nintendo maybe you can make another 1080 Snowboarding with the TotK engine… just saying.

Meant to start the Gerudo phenomenon, but of course got sidetracked in the depths for another 5 hours
This is me, I said I was gonna hit up some stables and ended up diving into the Depths lol

(shrine spoiler) Hey Nintendo maybe you can make another 1080 Snowboarding with the TotK engine… just saying.

This is me, I said I was gonna hit up some stables and ended up diving into the Depths lol
All I wanted to do yesterday was unlock one northeast tower and hit two stables before going to Goron City. Ended up doing a ton of crystal shrine quests in the sky islands, found
Malanya
, found the Ancient Tech Lab and got the you know what, explored more of the depths, completed labyrinth...basically everything except what I set out to do hahaha. Thankfully I discovered those two stables, that tower, and a bevy of shrines around them last minute, but man, Goron City didn't come to fruition and I'm totally fine with that!

I love how some quests have multiple "entry points" like when you talk to Robbie at Lookout Landing [multiple sidequests spoilers]
You help him get back to Hateno and if you do the travel medalion quest you go back to his old lab where you come across the Yiga which then points you towards the Blademaster quest. But you can also get to that by stumbling into their other hideouts, the Blademaster training facility or going directly to the big HQ where you can also get the Earthwake technique.

It’s a really cool way to make sure people find these things even if they don’t explore every inch of the world.

I was doing some desert exploration during my lunch break and I have a question about something I found. Can anyone answer it without being too spoilery? Just tell me whether or not it's related to a sidequest or something like that, or even if it's non-important.

I found the Giant Gerudo Skeleton inside a cave, noticed a bunch of breakable rocks in the ceiling, blew them up, and another much smaller skeleton dropped out of it. I kept trying to figure out what I could use it for but couldn't. Is that thing relevant at all?

I like talking to the NPCs of this game. Some of them a pretty weird so those are always enjoyable but they often have useful hints on what to explore. I saved an NPC dozens of hours ago. I came across them again under a random tree on the other side of the Hyrule from where I saved them. They thanked me for saving them again and told me about a cave where I could find a new piece of armor. No quest prompt popped up. It was just a bit of dialogue telling me that I should check here and so I did and I got some fancy new headgear out of it.

So the shock emitter Zonai parts catches lightning in a thunderstorm.

Spent 1 hour building a mech almost completely out of wood, and decided to use one of those, and then lightning strikes… sigh.

At least the metal catches lightning system can be used to your advantage when it comes to weapons. That just sucked.

I was doing some desert exploration during my lunch break and I have a question about something I found. Can anyone answer it without being too spoilery? Just tell me whether or not it's related to a sidequest or something like that, or even if it's non-important.

I found the Giant Gerudo Skeleton inside a cave, noticed a bunch of breakable rocks in the ceiling, blew them up, and another much smaller skeleton dropped out of it. I kept trying to figure out what I could use it for but couldn't. Is that thing relevant at all?

I had the exact same situation with the Hebra skeleton. Looked it up, and apparently it’s part of a side quest somewhere.

I just keep mooching around today and did a couple of shrines and a side quest, supposedly making my way over to Hateno but got sidetracked after activating a tower.

Spotted Farosh flying into the Depths using an entrance near Lake Hylia, so I followed them and hitched a ride around the Depths. Was really fun watching the place light up gradually depending on how close Farosh was to the ground in there, and I got several scales and spikes for my trouble too.

Spotted Colgera lurking in the Depths from a distance, and decided to engage. Really excellent idea fighting temple bosses down here, except I'd never explored this region so the fight was in the pitch dark... which led to me dying towards the end of the fight as I could not dodge effectively. Annoyingly, the game respawned me back in the sky, where I'd jumped off to go follow Farosh, so it'd take me a while to get back to Colgera.

Instead, I headed for a nearby hostile dragon on Hylia Bridge, and successfully killed my first Gleeok. It'd have been far harder had I not explored Hebra - loads of ice chu jelly and ice keese eyeballs combined with a Lynel bow made it possible to repeatedly stun it. Still needed several attempts because, with 8 hearts and no upgraded armour, it could easily one shot me and did several times. I learnt towards the end of the fight that it can take fall damage, so taking out 2 heads before letting it gain altitude, and then firing off homing shots, is probably key to effective victories. Took the time to collect the nearby memory, even if I am doing them out of sequence that way, I figured I should collect it while it was there.

Anyway, reunited with my horse, and will head to Hateno next time I go on... but we're still just west of Duelling Peaks sooo yeah.

I had the exact same situation with the Hebra skeleton. Looked it up, and apparently it’s part of a side quest somewhere.
Cool, thanks! It was way too neatly hidden to be nothing of importance. I wonder if I already have that sidequest but forgot about it. Well, I'll clean them up eventually.

I love how some quests have multiple "entry points" like when you talk to Robbie at Lookout Landing [multiple sidequests spoilers]
You help him get back to Hateno and if you do the travel medalion quest you go back to his old lab where you come across the Yiga which then points you towards the Blademaster quest. But you can also get to that by stumbling into their other hideouts, the Blademaster training facility or going directly to the big HQ where you can also get the Earthwake technique.

It’s a really cool way to make sure people find these things even if they don’t explore every inch of the world.
wait what's the Blademaster quest. I did the travel medallion thing and I didn't see that

From the Depths I somehow ended up in (location and quest spoilers) Korok Forest of all places. Infested with gloom and with its inhabitants paralyzed, it was so damn creepy! Then this dastardly place locks you into an arena against Gloom Hands and Phantom Ganon. Good thing I had some heals and strong-ish weapons ready.

This game just keeps on giving.

but man, Goron City didn't come to fruition and I'm totally fine with that!
It’s so fun just doing whatever.

No quest prompt popped up
Yeah, there’s a lot of this and it’s great. So fun chasing down leads and finding cool stuff. I hope Penn is proud of Link for all that sleuthing.

So how long did it take y'all to realize you can drop your rock infused weapon in the empty spot of the rock circle for the korok?
… daaaamn

got sidetracked after activating a tower
Congrats on the Gleeok kill!

Back
Top Bottom