• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Don't think so. You couldn't in BOTW either.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I have 12 shrines left but missing 5 hearts for max health. I guess I know what's coming in the DLC /s

Just spend an hour to see all the memories, and even though I knew what was coming I was like:

8i2328i.gif

And yeah, you need to see them in order.

Also one big question but...

is the relation between calamity ganon and ganondorf acknowelged?? Like I feel really weird, specially from Zelda, like at no point she goes "mhm that aura, the red moon, the names, maybe they are related... no, it's my imagination
In the memory where Ganondorf comes to swear fealty to Rauru she says something like "Even his name gives me pause..." in the English version.

Oh btw. on my way to the Hateno region tower, i had a first time encounter yesterday evening...

A Gloomhand.

While it was idling around (and hadn't noticed me by that time) i thought "Huh, doesn't look too bad?"
Then it noticed me.

Nope. One of the fastest Nope Out i've ever done.
Honestly the scariest enemy I've experienced in a game since that blind tentacle thing in Half-Life that keeps tapping the floor

People aren't talking about how genuinely scary Tears of the Kingdom can be sometimes.

Just saw credits roll for Tears of the Kingdom. Wow. That entire ending sequence is powerful, varied, thematically rich and so satisfying. Feels like it nails what
Skyward Sword
tried to do, in a way.

Now, will I do a replay, or continue this file...? It's on 35% completion :p.

How confident are we that this game will get DLC? I don't think it will get an expansion pass like BOTW or they would have announced it before the release

omg why I only know this now? It makes so much sense but yet I never really thought of this, maybe it's because I have not explored Depths that much.
I noticed it by chance because I accidentally hit the stick to scroll to the overworld map. I was like "wait a minute. If this a coincidence." Then sure enough I found out that it was not. They are connected. Makes it easier for those who just want to zip through the maps and sometimes I kinda get in that mood if I've stagnated before a place of interest.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I have 12 shrines left but missing 5 hearts for max health. I guess I know what's coming in the DLC /s

In the memory where Ganondorf comes to swear fealty to Rauru she says something like "Even his name gives me pause..." in the English version.
Yeah I saw that but

I was expecting something more direct from Zelda, she spent so much time sealing it that IMO should be second nature for her "that mummy UNDER the castle, it's appeareance.... the calamity. PRETENDS TO BE SHOCKED.gif". Anyway it's just a small thing, just found it weird (like how the calamity was such a big event and it's rarely spoken in game. So far I've seen it mentioned only in the school sidequest

Yeah I saw that but

I was expecting something more direct from Zelda, she spent so much time sealing it that IMO should be second nature for her "that mummy UNDER the castle, it's appeareance.... the calamity. PRETENDS TO BE SHOCKED.gif". Anyway it's just a small thing, just found it weird (like how the calamity was such a big event and it's rarely spoken in game. So far I've seen it mentioned only in the school sidequest
Oh yeah, in terms of story this one is definitely trying to be both a sequel as well as an entry point for new players, sometimes to the detriment of each other. I'm close to the end of the game and while I've been enjoying it immensely, even the story, there's some small cracks here and there in the way it's presented.

I’ve been lukewarm on the game, but I’ve got to say…

Chasing the spectre of Zelda around Hyrule Castle before throwing down with an army of Ganons was awesome.

And in my hunt for the fifth sage, I finally poked my head into The Lost Woods and then spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the Master Sword.

But man was it worth it. I don’t have much positive to say about the story to be honest - but riding that dragon and pulling out that sword, it stirred some emotion.

In my search for the last sage I also delved deep beneath Hyrule Castle and made it to the final boss. Though I was completely unprepared.

But now armed with a little bit of knowledge, I’ll undertake the side quests needed to get that last sage (whoever they are).

Despite my apathy, I’ve maintained that there’s a fantastic game here. Tonight I finally got a bit of magic to call my own.

do the champions in botw and the ancestors in this game have the same va? Im wondering if so if Sean was recast after he kinda opened his mouh a bit during the Bayonetta 3 drama

I’ve been lukewarm on the game, but I’ve got to say…

Chasing the spectre of Zelda around Hyrule Castle before throwing down with an army of Ganons was awesome.

And in my hunt for the fifth sage, I finally poked my head into The Lost Woods and then spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the Master Sword.

But man was it worth it. I don’t have much positive to say about the story to be honest - but riding that dragon and pulling out that sword, it stirred some emotion.

In my search for the last sage I also delved deep beneath Hyrule Castle and made it to the final boss. Though I was completely unprepared.

But now armed with a little bit of knowledge, I’ll undertake the side quests needed to get that last sage (whoever they are).

Despite my apathy, I’ve maintained that there’s a fantastic game here. Tonight I finally got a bit of magic to call my own.

What do you know about the dragon? Have you finished all the memories yet?

the depths corresponding to the surface in general is such a smart decision and does a lot to make exploration interesting for anyone who played BOTW and is already familiar with the world’s layout. I think someone earlier described it as a new way of doing a LTTP-style dark world and I completely agree

like I was on the far east side of the depths yesterday and thought, well, I haven’t been to Rist Peninsula yet in this game, but I bet its underground version has something interesting, might as well head that way and check it out (and it did indeed have something interesting)

what exactly inspired the zelda team to connected the desert with electricity? it started in Skyward Sword

I can't remember the last time I got so fucking impressed with a game than

when I got to the Depths for the first time and realized they've practically double the entire freaking map of the game.

I'm still having trouble processing that, actually...

This game is on a level of its own and the second one is not even close (BotW, mind you). Can't believe they've outdone the entire industry on a goddamn 2015 smartphone hardware

Is it me or are there more freebie shrines in this game?

Some are in caves, which, sure. There's one near the Wind Temple, that's nice. But I have no idea why Otutsum in Gerudo Highlands is a Rauru's Blessing shrine

I have to say so far this game has been a rollercoaster for me between phases of extreme disappointment and immense joy. I'm not sure I've been this frustrated with a game in a long time.

One of my very first experiences with Tears of the Kingdom was that during the tutorial islands, I fell off an island with my zonai gadgets, and instead of the items I needed spawning with me on the island, they spawned where they originally were ... on another island I could not get to without those items. Ok. This caused me to reload a save. Later on in that same tutorial I had a save where a creation was saved and I had a campfire lit. This was pretty important as I didn't have food or zonai devices to help keep me safe from the cold, and the creation took time to make, and I saved in the cold. When I loaded the save everything reverted to its original state and none of it was saved, including the campfire and the creation, except for my position where I was freezing. Ok. I believe it was like this in Breath of the Wild as well regarding item states but I'll mention this later.

Zonai devices as a whole are sort of a huge mixed bag. I've had many times where I try to make a cool creation, a regular creation, and it just doesn't work. I tried to make a wagon early on in the game, nope, didn't work. In retrospect I think it's because you need wood wheels to be connected to pillars rather than the sides of a platform (?) but I'm not sure why it works like this when no other wheel in the game does. I've had times were lifting off a plane zonai device requires me to spend tons of time just figuring out where to lift off, even when on an incline/edge, on the sky islands of all places, with many of them accidentally resulting in a device falling down, while other times it was very easy. Zonai devices feel so inconsistent that it made me want to just use the developer spawned ones for a while rather than wasting my own. I know the game is well developed enough that this isn't a programming oversight or a game bug, and now 20 hours in I'm pretty confident with them, but I'm left thinking that the fact that I actively stopped wanting to use them for a while because of this kind of betrays what the game developers were going for to begin with.

But where I started to just absolutely lose it was with Maycahin shrine. This shrine is one of the only difficult ones I've encountered and at first I loved it for that. I thought hey, that was cool. I finished the main chest part of the shrine and was trying to do the second optional target but after that the goo eventually broke on a device and catapulted it off a cliff. I could not find a respawn for the part, maybe I didn't see it, maybe it didn't respawn. I don't know. What I do know is that when I reloaded the shrine, I had to do the entire first target again just to do the second target. In a fucking physics shrine where the ball has to be aligned perfectly. Even though most of the shrines in the game let you get the optional chest (second target unlocks that) without doing the main objective already. This, no joke, probably took another 30 minutes. There was no reason to lock the second target behind the first one.

Now up till now my complaints have been about the save system, the state of objects and the zonai devices being finnicky and hey, all three of those are really arguably, probably my fault. I should have remembered how save states worked in a 6+ year old game, and I should be able to master aligning a plane on an edge so it will fly. User error. But where I start to seriously question some choices is when it feels like the game just discourages doing what you want to do, in a sequel to fucking Breath of the Wild. I entered a cave in a canyon, destroyed these rocks obscuring a boss. Thought to myself "hey, this is cool". By the time I was done, I had very little bombs left. I then realized that the boss barely gave me any reward, despite taking a lot of damage and having to uncover him with a few bombs, and that the actual reward for the cave was probably in a path that required more bombs to unlock in the corner of the wall. At this point I tried to continue, and realized I was running out of so many bombs that I questioned doing the cave at all. I mentioned it to a friend and they seriously suggested that I just wait to explore it till after I unlocked a later power that required me to do story missions. Considering how many bombs it took and that they are a finite resource in this game that I was running out of, I couldn't help but agree and moved on.

This is my biggest problem with the game - in comparison to Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom not only asks for more effort and rarely gives more in return, but it also feels like it largely discourages you from experimenting or doing what you want in a way Breath of the Wild rarely did. Yes, I totally get the irony, 100%. It's still open and it allows for more experimentation than Breath of the Wild, not less. But you're punished so much more for trying to do things your own way or by doing what you want when you want. So often I'm left frustrated or annoyed or feeling like I overused materials for the lamest shit. 2/4 of my examples wouldn't even be an issue in Breath of the Wild, where the player has limitless bombs and where stasis projectiles exist (Maycahin shrine). Even my first experience with the depths was largely negative, a sidequest where you walk 10 feet to take a picture, where I went to myself "hey, this is Tears of the Kingdom, it's not about the sidequest it's about the exploration!", spent 30 minutes exploring a black cave where I had to keep using bloom arrows, only to realize there was nothing but some enemies and mushrooms I didn't want and poe souls. Hey poe souls, that's cool! I can exchange them, right? No, despite the fact that I had done Lookout Landing's quest and was 15+ hours into the story, the characters told me to fuck off. Great. This whole experience made me entirely uninterested in the depths, and made me wonder what the sidequest hype was about. Is it those patrol missions where the AI don't do shit and you have to kill all the enemies for them?

And honestly, some of the basic elements felt like they should have been re-evaluated since Breath of the Wild. Having to hit health sponges while they lay on the floor motionless a million times only to hope that you can hit them enough once they get back up so they can fall down before swinging was admittedly a failing of Breath of the Wild, and something that should have been made better. It encouraged the player to make combat inactive and mindless for the sake of safety. That's still here. The fuse menu is such a wasted opportunity that it makes you wonder if Nintendo even thought it through. Like, why is it just a fuse menu? It already lists every material you have because of the way fuse works, why can't you eat apples with it? I want to spend less time in the inventory screen, not more. It doesn't even tell you the fuse power of items until after you've equipped them, you have to go to the inventory for that. And yes I know you can sort by power, but that's just relative and not as valuable.

At the end of the day it's a good game, maybe even a great one, and I'm starting to enjoy it more but man, I am shocked by how much stuff has turned me off. I really enjoy it when it reminds me of what I liked about Breath of the Wild or when I'm experiencing something entirely new like the sky islands, not when I feel punished for doing what I want or when I'm playing through a worse version of what I've played before like this games version of The Great Plateau, complete with a 10 minute prologue of Zelda explaining to me what an ipad is. I love some of it, some of it is the greatest shit ever, but a lot of it is questionable and that makes me sad. I'm "only" 25 hours in and have felt more addicted the last 5 or so, so here's hoping the next 80 or so are consistent.

Okay, I'm genuinely scratching my head for this side adventure.

Am I correct in assuming the last tablet I need is the one insanely high above lookout landing? And if so, how the fuck do I get there? I think it's legit the highest island in the game, and it's pretty isolated.

Any tips would be appreciated.

This is a bit out of topic, but it seems bunch of Zelda amiibos are getting re-printed, Nintendo South Korea released 16 amiibos today. Hopefully NOA does the same sometime soon.

Okay, I'm genuinely scratching my head for this side adventure.

Am I correct in assuming the last tablet I need is the one insanely high above lookout landing? And if so, how the fuck do I get there? I think it's legit the highest island in the game, and it's pretty isolated.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Nevermind! I'm an idiot and didn't see the right spot on my map. 😅

Spent my whole play session today doing sweet fuck all. I did do a cool shrine quest though (keys from water), and I got another dragon scale. Lately been in the mood to shoot everything for the compendium so have also been doing that.

I'm only like 4 memories and 2 dungeons in. You have to understand, I love just wasting time in these games. TOTK could be half the sequel it is and I'd still pour a lot of time into just walking about picking up junk and taking pictures.

Just about to take off from Thunderhead Isles. This game is amazing. I know that whatever’s next, it’s gonna be good!

Unfortunately I think I am burning out on the game. I think I am going to play something else and return to it later. I have only done one dungeon :( In hindsight it was probably a mistake to play so much Breath of the Wild leading up to the release of this game. I going camping over the weekend and I am not bringing my switch so maybe that short break with recharge the batteries a bit. I have played everyday since release and am sitting at 65+ hours.

Just out of curiosity, will there be a DLC speculation thread for this game? Or will this thread be the place for it? There's two pretty big things (or lack of things) pointing to DLC.

Master Mode isn't in the game, despite a lot of the BOTW DLC features being present. Kass is also MIA, but Penn mentions him at the end of his Side Adventure so it's clear that the devs didn't forget about him. Given that he was a focus of the BOTW story DLC, he's probably going to fit that bill here as well.

Got all the towers activated, though I haven't explored the map too thoroughly. I'll probably do some more sidequests before continuing the main story.

I could never do something like this precisely because it would burn me out.
I honestly didn’t intend to. I was excited for TOTK and figured I could play a bit of BOTW and reacquaint myself with the controls. Turns out that BOTW is still a really really good game so four divine beasts and 70 hours later I had to force myself to stop playing just so I could have a bit of a breath before TOTK came out.

I knew the revelation was coming but it still hit. This game has some nice cutscenes. They really play up the fantasy imagery. Also got the Master Sword. Probably the best Master Sword getting sequence in the franchise

Wait a second. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a feature patented for this game that seemingly isn't in the game? I don't know if it was cut, a secret, or potential DLC, so I'll put it in spoilers.

Short range teleportation. I remember it had something to do with the in game sounds transfering to the location you teleported to.

Wait a second. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a feature patented for this game that seemingly isn't in the game? I don't know if it was cut, a secret, or potential DLC, so I'll put it in spoilers.

Short range teleportation. I remember it had something to do with the in game sounds transfering to the location you teleported to.
Ascend?

Weapon durability generally doesn't bother me at all but

I do think it's wack how you have to rebuy the weapons like the Dusk Claymore and Fierce Deity Sword. Even if they still break to keep the Master Sword special they should respawn after a Blood Moon like the Dusk Bow does. Especially because repairing them with Octoroks is convoluted. They're special from a lore perspective and the culmination of side adventures that are pretty elaborate. I haven't actually found them yet and I imagine I'll have a lot of Poes to spend by the end of the game, but this is one of the few times where I do agree with the criticisms about rewards.

I cannot download the new update. It refuses to let me and is suddenly saying something about my MicroSD card. Anyone else had issues? I cannot play the game now because it will not launch without the update.

If it matters, brand new Switch (the Zelda one) and SD Card.

EDIT: Just reformatted the card and it’s all fine now, thank Hylia. Was sweating profusely though nervous as a scared Bokoblin that I’d erased my game.

Last edited:
I have to say so far this game has been a rollercoaster for me between phases of extreme disappointment and immense joy. I'm not sure I've been this frustrated with a game in a long time.

One of my very first experiences with Tears of the Kingdom was that during the tutorial islands, I fell off an island with my zonai gadgets, and instead of the items I needed spawning with me on the island, they spawned where they originally were ... on another island I could not get to without those items. Ok. This caused me to reload a save. Later on in that same tutorial I had a save where a creation was saved and I had a campfire lit. This was pretty important as I didn't have food or zonai devices to help keep me safe from the cold, and the creation took time to make, and I saved in the cold. When I loaded the save everything reverted to its original state and none of it was saved, including the campfire and the creation, except for my position where I was freezing. Ok. I believe it was like this in Breath of the Wild as well regarding item states but I'll mention this later.

Zonai devices as a whole are sort of a huge mixed bag. I've had many times where I try to make a cool creation, a regular creation, and it just doesn't work. I tried to make a wagon early on in the game, nope, didn't work. In retrospect I think it's because you need wood wheels to be connected to pillars rather than the sides of a platform (?) but I'm not sure why it works like this when no other wheel in the game does. I've had times were lifting off a plane zonai device requires me to spend tons of time just figuring out where to lift off, even when on an incline/edge, on the sky islands of all places, with many of them accidentally resulting in a device falling down, while other times it was very easy. Zonai devices feel so inconsistent that it made me want to just use the developer spawned ones for a while rather than wasting my own. I know the game is well developed enough that this isn't a programming oversight or a game bug, and now 20 hours in I'm pretty confident with them, but I'm left thinking that the fact that I actively stopped wanting to use them for a while because of this kind of betrays what the game developers were going for to begin with.

But where I started to just absolutely lose it was with Maycahin shrine. This shrine is one of the only difficult ones I've encountered and at first I loved it for that. I thought hey, that was cool. I finished the main chest part of the shrine and was trying to do the second optional target but after that the goo eventually broke on a device and catapulted it off a cliff. I could not find a respawn for the part, maybe I didn't see it, maybe it didn't respawn. I don't know. What I do know is that when I reloaded the shrine, I had to do the entire first target again just to do the second target. In a fucking physics shrine where the ball has to be aligned perfectly. Even though most of the shrines in the game let you get the optional chest (second target unlocks that) without doing the main objective already. This, no joke, probably took another 30 minutes. There was no reason to lock the second target behind the first one.

Now up till now my complaints have been about the save system, the state of objects and the zonai devices being finnicky and hey, all three of those are really arguably, probably my fault. I should have remembered how save states worked in a 6+ year old game, and I should be able to master aligning a plane on an edge so it will fly. User error. But where I start to seriously question some choices is when it feels like the game just discourages doing what you want to do, in a sequel to fucking Breath of the Wild. I entered a cave in a canyon, destroyed these rocks obscuring a boss. Thought to myself "hey, this is cool". By the time I was done, I had very little bombs left. I then realized that the boss barely gave me any reward, despite taking a lot of damage and having to uncover him with a few bombs, and that the actual reward for the cave was probably in a path that required more bombs to unlock in the corner of the wall. At this point I tried to continue, and realized I was running out of so many bombs that I questioned doing the cave at all. I mentioned it to a friend and they seriously suggested that I just wait to explore it till after I unlocked a later power that required me to do story missions. Considering how many bombs it took and that they are a finite resource in this game that I was running out of, I couldn't help but agree and moved on.

This is my biggest problem with the game - in comparison to Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom not only asks for more effort and rarely gives more in return, but it also feels like it largely discourages you from experimenting or doing what you want in a way Breath of the Wild rarely did. Yes, I totally get the irony, 100%. It's still open and it allows for more experimentation than Breath of the Wild, not less. But you're punished so much more for trying to do things your own way or by doing what you want when you want. So often I'm left frustrated or annoyed or feeling like I overused materials for the lamest shit. 2/4 of my examples wouldn't even be an issue in Breath of the Wild, where the player has limitless bombs and where stasis projectiles exist (Maycahin shrine). Even my first experience with the depths was largely negative, a sidequest where you walk 10 feet to take a picture, where I went to myself "hey, this is Tears of the Kingdom, it's not about the sidequest it's about the exploration!", spent 30 minutes exploring a black cave where I had to keep using bloom arrows, only to realize there was nothing but some enemies and mushrooms I didn't want and poe souls. Hey poe souls, that's cool! I can exchange them, right? No, despite the fact that I had done Lookout Landing's quest and was 15+ hours into the story, the characters told me to fuck off. Great. This whole experience made me entirely uninterested in the depths, and made me wonder what the sidequest hype was about. Is it those patrol missions where the AI don't do shit and you have to kill all the enemies for them?

And honestly, some of the basic elements felt like they should have been re-evaluated since Breath of the Wild. Having to hit health sponges while they lay on the floor motionless a million times only to hope that you can hit them enough once they get back up so they can fall down before swinging was admittedly a failing of Breath of the Wild, and something that should have been made better. It encouraged the player to make combat inactive and mindless for the sake of safety. That's still here. The fuse menu is such a wasted opportunity that it makes you wonder if Nintendo even thought it through. Like, why is it just a fuse menu? It already lists every material you have because of the way fuse works, why can't you eat apples with it? I want to spend less time in the inventory screen, not more. It doesn't even tell you the fuse power of items until after you've equipped them, you have to go to the inventory for that. And yes I know you can sort by power, but that's just relative and not as valuable.

At the end of the day it's a good game, maybe even a great one, and I'm starting to enjoy it more but man, I am shocked by how much stuff has turned me off. I really enjoy it when it reminds me of what I liked about Breath of the Wild or when I'm experiencing something entirely new like the sky islands, not when I feel punished for doing what I want or when I'm playing through a worse version of what I've played before like this games version of The Great Plateau, complete with a 10 minute prologue of Zelda explaining to me what an ipad is. I love some of it, some of it is the greatest shit ever, but a lot of it is questionable and that makes me sad. I'm "only" 25 hours in and have felt more addicted the last 5 or so, so here's hoping the next 80 or so are consistent.
re the part about exploring caves: the game usually hides a ton of decayed weapons and fuseable rocks within the breakable ones. It's at least in my experience a much more efficient way to explore caves in the early game before you get a certain skill. I barely used bombs outside of combat throughout my 50h+ of playing.

Also, don't waste arrows on brightbloom seeds, you can just throw those.

You know what, after 200 hours in BotW and 70 and counting in TotK, I’m tired of making meat and seafood skewers and simmered fruit and greens … lemme dig into this recipe system finally 😭

This Moving The Spheres Shrine in Gerudo Desert... they had to have known people would just cheese this with Recall, right

Okay that's enough for now, let's get a few upgrades and do the endgame

What is this?
After using the gust, you can gain a lot of extra speed by quickly closing and opening the paraglider a few times. There's another version of it with bullet time too. I feel like it wouldn't be patched, since they never patched things like whistle sprinting in BotW, but you never know.

The one thing I think would be cool to do is that it could reasonably be supported by in game lore to have a new giant sky island or something. Like, link does something that makes it descend from the heavens, idk. THAT would be fine. They can just add it and don’t have to fuck up the existing landscape to make a new overworld section.

But peppering the existing world with new shrines and a dungeon like they did with BotW (and the dungeon, as great as it was, didn’t even have an outer design. You’re just warped into it and it felt super inorganic without a sense of place)… yeah, I’d play it? It’d probably be great and exquisitely designed, but it’s just not as exciting conceptually.

But on another TOTK DLC note, sharing Ultrahand creations is a no brainer, as many have said. It’d literally just be adding an online category to Autobuild at the bare minimum lol. Though as much as it’d get complaints, I’d also understand if they don’t want people who haven’t finished the main story to have that feature though, as to not disrupt the single player experience. Maybe it could be gated.

Moving my reply to this thread because I assume people in the Direct thread don't want to dodge TotK spoilers...

Shrines in the overworld would be weird because all of them have a matching lightroot in the depths and there's really no space for those anymore anymore. I guess they could justify it somehow but it would be inconsistent with their world design.

For that reason I think that the most likely outcome for new DLC is shrines on new sky islands, more loot in caves that have opened up and new bosses in the depths. I'm not sure how they would fit it in the story since I haven't finished the game but it could be a pre-final boss thing again.

Last edited:
Addison should be employee of the year for all years. I hope there is something in this game where Mr. Hudson gives him the recognition he deserves lol.

Back
Top Bottom