• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

I also wish there were more shrines that involved the stabilizer-head devices, I’ve done ~90 shrines and have only seen those a grand total of one time. They seem really fun to mess with in a shrine environment for puzzles.

I really love being able to use my imagination in TotK and still feel sad it is limited to what it is.

Now that I completed the game I can retire in-game and attempt to build my own grape vineyard and make Zelda a farming simulator.

90 hours and 'only' 70 shrines, 2 temples and 33 light roots. Sort of on the way to Death Mountain now.
For context, my first Breath of the Wild playthrough was all 120 shrines, 4 Divine Beasts, and most sidequests in maybe 120 hours ish.

I'm definitely taking my time more with this one, and being less methodical in looking for shrines. After the third temple I might spend some time mapping most of the Depths, not sure yet.

The real solution to Shrines is to just cheese everything with Recall

I am a rebel who refuses to play by the game designers’ rules

You fool, you've fallen right into their hands. Recall IS in the rules!!

I also wish there were more shrines that involved the stabilizer-head devices, I’ve done ~90 shrines and have only seen those a grand total of one time. They seem really fun to mess with in a shrine environment for puzzles.

The stabiliser is great for the bell ringing mini-game.

I do like being able to cheese puzzles at all times though. I gave up on one in the Construct Factory yesterday where you had to get one of the boxes across some long electrified thing. I figured you were supposed to use the lip of the electrified thing and the wheels laying around somehow, after 20 minutes of messing around with no results I just whipped out a balloon and fan and flew across the gap.

The thing is, you're still not cheesing the puzzle. They gave you a ton of possible solutions, with one interesting and obvious one at the forefront. You get to choose which solution works for you. This seems like "cheesing" but it's entirely in the rule set and intentions of the game

I do like being able to cheese puzzles at all times though. I gave up on one in the Construct Factory yesterday where you had to get one of the boxes across some long electrified thing. I figured you were supposed to use the lip of the electrified thing and the wheels laying around somehow, after 20 minutes of messing around with no results I just whipped out a balloon and fan and flew across the gap.
I did the construct factory a couple days ago and some of those puzzles legit stumped me. Super creative, they started to get really weird.

i can see where people are coming from about how the ideas don’t “ramp up in complexity” because they assume everything you do is your first but… idk, I still feels these puzzles are across the board way more clever and rooted in logic than prior 3D Zeldas. And even if a lot of them are simple, there’s more satisfaction in them for me.

I’m basing a lot of this on skyward sword though, which is the only one I’ve replayed relatively recently.

There was a sky island mirror puzzle that just felt completely emergent to me that I did yesterday. Like there wasn’t a clear “here’s a setup for the puzzle, now solve it.” There we’re just a bunch of mirrors scattered around a maze like island with verticality and I had to attach them, tilt them move them places to make a chain leading to a light absorber that opened a cage containing a sages will. Like yeah I knew what to do immediately, but using logic and the tools to do it in my own way gave so much satisfaction

Damn, some people really just do not find being creative fun. I get it not being "your thing" but what's up with the vitriol I've seen so much about this mechanic?
Not sure what other people think of course, so can only speak for myself.

I'm fortunate enough to get to be creative for a living so take plenty of enjoyment out of that, but Ultrahand is just too finicky for me. Even building simple Lego level stuff is frustrating with a controller - it should take seconds, but instead takes minutes.

Glad other folks are enjoying it at least!

I do think Ultrahand would work a lot better with a different input device. Imagine if we could use our actual hands to manipulate objects. It's one of those cases where it seems like a perfect opportunity to innovate in the controller space like what Nintendo did with the Wii and Wii Sports, but instead we got the alternative version like Skyward Sword HD and the Pro Controller.

I'm fortunate enough to get to be creative for a living so take plenty of enjoyment out of that, but Ultrahand is just too finicky for me. Even building simple Lego level stuff is frustrating with a controller - it should take seconds, but instead takes minutes.

It does take seconds!!

I think I feel like this because individual puzzles aren't what I like the most. I like puzzles with an interesting context surrounding them. Not just puzzles for puzzles.
Zelda dungeons have this idea of slowly understanding the space surrounding you, the puzzles, the traps and how to navigate. It feels like the player is an explorer like Indiana Jones. Love the feeling of getting lost inside a dungeon and little by little things start to make sense. So I think there's no way to distill this experience picking one of these elements and distributing them across multiple places. Of course if they keep with this shrine format working on the aesthetics can help on making them more palatable.

Fair enough. I think if they keep shrines they need to develop the dungeons further. Give us more of them or ideally make them longer and more involved, so you get that Indiana Jones feel of previous Zelda games mixed in with the bitesize challenges of the shrines. I'd probably cut the number from 150 to 100 and make the ones that remain a tad longer and more inter-connected.

Fair enough. I think if they keep shrines they need to develop the dungeons further. Give us more of them or ideally make them longer and more involved, so you get that Indiana Jones feel of previous Zelda games mixed in with the bitesize challenges of the shrines. I'd probably cut the number from 150 to 100 and make the ones that remain a tad longer and more inter-connected.
During the tutorial area I really thought they went for something like this. There was one shrine were we get a key. When I saw that for a moment I thought that shrines would be different in this game...XD

idk, I still feels these puzzles are across the board way more clever and rooted in logic than prior 3D Zeldas.
I also don't feel that the puzzles in TotK are lacking in complexity compared to prior 3D Zeldas. It's true that that in past games, the puzzle design would continuously build upon its central mechanic (usually centered around a dungeon item) but I would disagree that that's particularly more clever than what we get in BotW and TotK.

Furthermore, freeform physics puzzles should be judged differently from linear lock-and-key puzzles. A lot of the fun of freeform ones is that there isn't a single baked solution. You can fling stuff at the wall and see if they stick, and the "wall" for TotK is especially sticky.

I think if they keep shrines they need to develop the dungeons further
That sounds good to me. Keep the shrines, make the dungeons longer and more involved, or perhaps increase the number of dungeons.

I gave up on that one pretty fast and used the electric elixir you get in one of the shrines on the way to just walk across the electrified pillar with the box. Was kind of amazed that worked, I guess complete lightning immunity is a thing in this game.

The puzzles in there were mostly completely incomprehensible to me though. I cheated the lava flow one with the wheels by stacking the wheels and gliding across and then using Recall and Ultrahand to get the box to me. The one with the hanging rail I needed a flying machine to even get up to, and then once I was inside I ended up going "fuck this" after a while of not even having a clue what might make it possible, and just using rockets from my inventory.

I kind of wish all the shrines that were built like this had the same lack of limitations, so I could decide to cut the knot with the same ease by say, making a more sensible device than a boat that moves against a current using only wheels. Yeah, it's cheap, but that's the entire game, it's a bit late to be halfheartedly putting that genie back in the bottle by sort of preventing cheating but only through some avenues.

I think I am pretty good with Ultrahand controls and it definitely does not take seconds without autobuild Like even a basic board with 4 wheels is taking minutes.
It literally takes less than 20 seconds to make one of those with Recall

Just beat the game. After about 150 hours, I think it was the right choice. Loved the ending, glad I was able to avoid spoilers for the last month.

Still tons left to do in the game, so that's cool, I imagine DLC will be announced before the end of the summer too.

I'm sure you discovered some magic. feel free to post a video cause it sounds useful.
Oops, my mistake! It actually takes only ~40 seconds to make a wooden plank car from scratch. But only if it's your first time making it, or if you're refusing to Autobuild.

Also just for fun, since I wanted to see if I could make a working vehicle in under 20 seconds from scratch using Recall:

It’s so weird to see some Zelda fans said they don’t like the story of the game and cited “it didn’t make sense” (probably because all the timeline/old lore and stuff) while the important supposed to be: is this make sense for this story.

Like I would understand if you don’t like some aspect, story beat, etc. But to dismiss the story because it doesn’t fit into some timeline that Nintendo don’t even pay that much thought or “don’t make sense” is so weird.

And some of them even begin to reach the level of nitpick with one said if Rauru and Sonia all die then how could Zelda be their descendants because they didn’t show them having or mention any kids…
bruh, not everything has to explicit state they have kids for you to assume they have one, they married for many years… and even that, in the first cutscene of the game, Zelda literally said her ancestor was supposed to be born from Zonai and Hylian.

Last edited:
It does take seconds!!
Not for me unfortunately. Not hating on it just because, I actively anticipated this game for years and really wanted to like it all. Ultrahand just doesn't click with me.
Oops, my mistake! It actually takes only ~40 seconds to make a wooden plank car from scratch. But only if it's your first time making it, or if you're refusing to Autobuild.

Also just for fun, since I wanted to see if I could make a working vehicle in under 20 seconds from scratch using Recall:

Good on ya for having talent at this. I won't send a video of how long that'd take me because you'd be frustrated out of your mind watching it.

AB does help a bit, but not in Shrines.

It’s so weird to see some Zelda fans said they don’t like the story of the game and cited “it didn’t make sense” (probably because all the timeline/old lore and stuff) while the important supposed to be: is this make sense for this story.

Like I would understand if you don’t like some aspect, story beat, etc. But to dismiss the story because it doesn’t fit into some timeline that Nintendo don’t even pay that much thought or “don’t make sense” is so weird.

And some of them even begin to reach the level of nitpick with one said if Rauru and Sonia all die then how could Zelda be their descendants because they didn’t show them having or mention any kids…
bruh, not everything has to explicit state they have kids for you to assume they have one, they married for many years… and even that, in the first cutscene of the game, Zelda literally said her ancestor was supposed to be born from Zonai and Hylian.
the MCU and it's "everything has to be connected" doesn't help

Master Sword + complete geoglyph quest spoilers:
I guessed very early on that Zelda must've turned herself into a dragon. It's too bad, they came up with a really clever story and then basically just gave it away in one of the earlier memories. Like I wouldn't have seen it coming if they hadn't telegraphed it as hard as they did.

But anyway, before all of that, I made it to Korok Forest. Not sure if the story leads you there eventually, but I just went there on my own. Got the Master Sword quest marker from the Deku Tree and figured eh I'll get to it later. Then the next day I noticed from far away what looked like a glowing light on the light dragon's head. It was in that moment that I remembered how Zelda's probably a dragon, and that the Deku Tree said the Master Sword was moving, and realized "Oh. Oh... Oooohhhhhh"

So I teleported to a sky island, dove over and got the Master Sword. Good thing I focused way more on stamina than hearts lol. I only had like two or three geoglyphs left at that point, and was on a story high, so I beelined over to them over the rest of my session. And I've only done the Rito temple so far lol

The more I play the game the more I believe that this could easily be the most content-rich single video game ever made.

Used a guide to find all remaining wells last night. Some of them are very well-hidden, I'd say.

Now I'm officially done with all sidequests. The only big thing I'm missing is about 15 caves.

Boy, I'm gonna miss this game once I'm done.

Btw does anyone play the game witn the sensor shrine off? I'm guessing it's the main reason that even after 150 hours I still miss around 20 of them.
Yes. Activated the pro HUD and deactivated the shrine sensor as soon as possible.
Too distracting for me and makes exploring less exciting.

Maybe I will use it for a few remaining wells, if I don't find them.

I feel like some people expected this to be a traditional zelda game wearing botw's overworld as a skin and that's where some of the disappointment comes from?

In my opinion, the concept of "Shrines" is virtually impossible to remove from an open world Zelda game. They need to fill the world with little puzzles and challenges. You can change the name, make them more interesting, integrating them with the landscape, etc. But the concept of "little puzzle rooms around the map" makes perfect sense and doesn't need to be changed. I just hope they can give them a twist for the next game, not just a repeat of what we saw in BotW but with another aesthetic.

Btw does anyone play the game witn the sensor shrine off? I'm guessing it's the main reason that even after 150 hours I still miss around 20 of them.
I'm around 100 hours into the game and didn't even know there was a shrine sensor

There's this old Era comment that was like "quick resume is the most 'next gen' next gen thing I've ever experienced", and I've been wondering if that somewhat applies to the physics engine of TotK as well.

Granted, it's not "next gen" anymore (It's "current gen") but I wonder if the evolved physics engine, how it ties so well into the abilities of the game, and how it works so perfectly in tandem with such an incredibly large world, (not to mention how it interacts with the chemistry engine as well) is indeed one of the most "current gen" current gen thing in the gaming world right now, with its sheer complexity and technological magic being on the same level as SSD loading, quick resume, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, the latest graphical fidelity leap or anything that has been present in games from the end of 2020 and onward.
This is a great example on how next gen failed to include any new features to excite players like the previous gens did. I mean, SSD, quick resume, haptic feedback... are all nice additions but they won't affect current game design in a comparable way to how the improvements in previous generations did. I can't think of any feature of PS5 or Series X/S that would allow for new stuff that couldn't be done before. And no, instant travelling between parallel worlds thanks to SSD is not it: ALttP, Metroid Prime Echoes or Guacamelee already did that.
Meanwhile, a game in a console with 10+ year old hardware is out here showing how to really do something that truly feels like a technological leap.

Last edited:
I’m not finding any beetles in this game!

One guilty pleasure I had in BotW was sneaking around in forests collecting beetles sitting on trees, but in TotK I’ve found perhaps 3 in like 100 hours.

What am I doing wrong?

I’m not finding any beetles in this game!

One guilty pleasure I had in BotW was sneaking around in forests collecting beetles sitting on trees, but in TotK I’ve found perhaps 3 in like 100 hours.

What am I doing wrong?
I’ve seen a lot in Faron (some trees have like five on them), but you’re right, they definitely seem much rarer this time

but in TotK I’ve found perhaps 3 in like 100 hours
They’re freaking rare for some reason

Anyway, I finally accomplished my objective of going to Tarrey Town and uhh it’s kinda blowing my mind.

• Hudson has a daughter that shares his hairstyle. That’s adorable. And the main side activity for the town is helping the Hudson family get some quality family time. THAT IS ADORABLE. For bonus points I got to chuck a puffshroom at a money-grubber, and laugh at his abject terror.
  • Pellison can DISASSEMBLE stuff?! Finally a reason to kill those Wizzrobes.
  • You can make monster statues with the help of Koltin and Hudson, which is already a cool idea, but the statue you make is modeled precisely after the picture you took. So I got a pretty damn statue of a Silver Bokoblin roaring at the sky now. Shit, I should have taken better pictures of all the other monsters! Can I also have a Cucco statue made? Please?
  • I already knew you could get your own house from this thread but I was not prepared for full blown house construction. Kinda wish you could do more with the garden and the pond, but it’s very cool to have your own kitchen and goddess statue. And of course finally ai have a place where I can stash those unique weapons.

Yeah I'm the same, I typically don't play many games where you sort of have to "make the game yourself" so-to-speak. I liked it here in TotK because of how intuitive everything is and there's always a pretty easily defined intended solution, but over so many hours of doing it it started to get pretty tedious sticking stuff together to me.

I gave up on that one pretty fast and used the electric elixir you get in one of the shrines on the way to just walk across the electrified pillar with the box. Was kind of amazed that worked, I guess complete lightning immunity is a thing in this game.

The puzzles in there were mostly completely incomprehensible to me though. I cheated the lava flow one with the wheels by stacking the wheels and gliding across and then using Recall and Ultrahand to get the box to me. The one with the hanging rail I needed a flying machine to even get up to, and then once I was inside I ended up going "fuck this" after a while of not even having a clue what might make it possible, and just using rockets from my inventory.

I kind of wish all the shrines that were built like this had the same lack of limitations, so I could decide to cut the knot with the same ease by say, making a more sensible device than a boat that moves against a current using only wheels. Yeah, it's cheap, but that's the entire game, it's a bit late to be halfheartedly putting that genie back in the bottle by sort of preventing cheating but only through some avenues.

Haha, I think I did those other two 'correctly'. For the lava flow one, I just put the wheels directly on the box and drove across -- the second part of it where it's wider, I messed around for a couple minutes before realizing if you just rotate the box so it's lengthwise instead and put the wheels back on that way, it's a perfect fit.

For the hanging rail, I had to rotate the clip so it wouldn't get hung up on the arms holding the rail, then attached the box to the bottom and threw a fan on the back. Zipped it up no problems.

let hope this is canon, not a what if non canon scenario like Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity
I may be wrong but I don't think they will lock "canon" content on a game that won't be played by most of Zelda fans. My hope is that we at least have a DLC that will bring more lore.

In my opinion, the concept of "Shrines" is virtually impossible to remove from an open world Zelda game. They need to fill the world with little puzzles and challenges. You can change the name, make them more interesting, integrating them with the landscape, etc. But the concept of "little puzzle rooms around the map" makes perfect sense and doesn't need to be changed. I just hope they can give them a twist for the next game, not just a repeat of what we saw in BotW but with another aesthetic.
Yep, you can change up the implementation but the core idea of having isolated puzzle rooms is kinda necessary for a game like this

The idea of "combine all Shrines into mini dungeons" is honestly hilariously bad imo. I agree with having more intricate and more dungeons, but Shrines fulfill an entirely different purpose in my book and consolidating them rather defeats the purpose.

Yep, you can change up the implementation but the core idea of having isolated puzzle rooms is kinda necessary for a game like this

The idea of "combine all Shrines into mini dungeons" is honestly hilariously bad imo. I agree with having more intricate and more dungeons, but Shrines fulfill an entirely different purpose in my book and consolidating them rather defeats the purpose.
Shirnes act as the subtitute of Piece of Hearts in this new format of the franchise

Shrines are awesome.

I think in BotW they just bore too much of the burden of the gameplay loop. Like pretty much everything significant ended in a shrine. Even if the stuff to get to them was varied and had environmental puzzles and riddles in the world, it still ended in a shrine. Which is fine, but that’s where I agreed with the “well shrines should have more variety then if they’re gonna be the core thing”

In TOTK it’s different though. Shrines still have the same very important purpose, but they aren’t the end goal of everything you do. I can go into a cave (which can have varied looks, lengths, obstacles), explore it, solve a puzzle or fight a boss and get a unique piece of armor. I can go to a sky island, solve an environmental puzzle or beat a boss and get a sages will. I can explore the depths and get schema stones as rewards, beat hard enemy encounters and get battery upgrades or unique armors as rewards. No shrines involved.

There’s way more permanent upgrades in TotK, and a much bigger variety of how you get them. BotW has none of that. Hell the only examples of non purchasable armor were found IN shrines lol.

Hell, I’ve found myself solving a sky island puzzle, getting a super cool new armor and thinking that was the end of it and being totally satisfied, only to find a blessing shrine right after. At that point it’s just the cherry on top, like I didn’t even expect it or need it lol.

So I find myself resonating less with the shrine complaints I shared with BotW, because they’re just a part of something much bigger and more varied here. In BotW I wanted them more varied because they were the end goal of everything, in TotK they’re a comfortable constant in a massively more varied world.

Ended up in the Lost Woods instead of Death Mountain. Woops.

Obviously, having done the geoglyphs already, this information isn't a surprise. Plus, I killed two more Phantom Ganons (one in the Depths woods, then the one required to cure the Deku Tree). I like the subtle callback to Ganondorf's curse from OOT.

The bit that really landed for me was seeing the forest restored - especially because I managed to ascend right out of the boss arena under the tree, emerging next to and startling a Korok.

Also looking at the character art in the compendium. Let's have character models with that glorious brush effect next time around.

Back
Top Bottom