• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

I’m still struggling through this - I’m enjoying it in fits and starts, and there is a lot to like, but ultimately I feel quite apathetic to it.

I’m surprised by just how little the game moves the needle for me. I’ve done plenty of stuff, but I think it’s time to race through to the end.

A very good game, but not one for me this time around.

Do Impa and Cado appear at every geoglyph location? I couldn't find them at the second and now I don't see them around the third at all.

Do Impa and Cado appear at every geoglyph location? I couldn't find them at the second and now I don't see them around the third at all.
They do not. Once you get near the geoglyph, your only objective is to look for the small puddle/pool to find the memory. However, before you start diving into the glyphs, I highly recommend you advance the Tears of the Dragon questline so that you know which order to complete the memories in.

Be honest, you can hear the Ascend can be used here beeping sound every waking moment of your life.

As well as the Ultrahand grabbing sound.

They do not. Once you get near the geoglyph, your only objective is to look for the small puddle/pool to find the memory. However, before you start diving into the glyphs, I highly recommend you advance the Tears of the Dragon questline so that you know which order to complete the memories in.
Thanks, I did know about the map in the Forgotten Temple, I just didn't know if I'd be missing some story stuff if I didn't find Impa and Cado.

About a mini boss I just stumbled into

I found the "Flux III" on one of those sky islands, and it took me a few tries to get the hang of it. I just beat it though, and man oh man the core it left behind gave me some crazy fusion power. I hadn't gotten any weapons above 40 attack up to this point, but now I suddenly have one with 72 attack power. Not letting that one break!

Idk if I'm being silly but does the game feel more framey since the last update? Places I visited before were fine but now I'm revisiting it's all framey/laggy. All in handheld btw.
This happens to me both docked and handheld, it drops frame more often for me than the day 1 patch.

I’ve finished all the dungeons and can proceed to the endgame I believe whenever. I’ve got around 87 shrines, and 21 hearts, so might wander around Hyrule for a while, get some more health, inventory slots, batteries, etc. I often loose interest in continuing games once I have story closure, so I’m not in a hurry to finish. Still lots to explore.

Had every intention of clearing out three caves I marked on the map yesterday. Started heading their way, got distracted, somehow ended my play session exploring a different cave on the other side of the map. Still haven't done the original three I intended to do.

Finally made it to Zora’s Domain

Sidon has a fiancé? Wtf I’m going to cry that’s Link’s boyfriend, maybe I won’t save them…

I said I haven't been to the Depths much but evidently I've gone there enough to accumulate 960 pieces of Zonaite ore. I need to make a habit of buying more charges. On that note, why the heck are Maker and Steward Constructs separate, anyway?

And that’s Regional Phenomena complete!

Here’s my rankings. Funny that they’re reverses of eachother lol

Dungeon Rankings

1. Lightning Temple - best captured what I wanted from a traditional dungeon integrated into the surface. Atmospherically nailed it, and the mirror puzzles were a nice way to tie the huge space together in addition to the other puzzles.

2. Fire Temple - it could get annoying at times, but the scale was breathtaking to me. Loved the setting and atmosphere, and like Gerudo, the minecarts helped tie the whole space together though not QUITE as well as Gerudo being one giant building.

3. Wind Temple - smaller than the other two, but completely nailed the atmosphere and aesthetic, just like them.

4. Water Temple - smallest and lacks a sense of place, the other three were all very cool structures and fitting for their environments. I will say, it is visually gorgeous though.

Lead-up rankings

1. Zora - I love how you adventure throughout the domain solving the teardrop riddle, finding the Zora king, then the Zora waterworks mini dungeon all before the breathtaking zero gravity waterfall ascent. Just awesome

2. Rito - once again, atmospherically nailed it. Like Zora, it has the really tight level design of the sky island lead up. It is a bit shorter than Zora on the surface though.

3. Goron - lacks the wow factor of a sky island lead up like the first two, but smacking Yunobo out of hypnosis, the mine cart ascent and Moragia miniboss, as well as the dive into the depths from the crater were awesome

4. Gerudo - I wish this leadup took you to more new places like the above three all did by leveraging tears’ new “layers” - Sky, Depths and Caves. The town defenses were a nice change of pace, but didn’t do as much for me in the end. Positives are that it had a unique enemy with the gibdos, and the relocation of the town to the underground shelter was probably my favorite town change.

Also now that I think about it - I’m surprised with how this game added caves, and also moved the Great Faries around, I’m surprised they didn’t put the great fairies in caves.

That’s where they always were before BotW lol, just feels right

Has anyone had an issue with the radial menu suddenly not working? It just suddenly stopped working for me and I'm stuck with Ultrahand. Trying to pinpoint if it's a game or controller issue (I calibrated the controller but it's still not working).

EDIT: and just as soon as I posted this, it resolved itself. Pay me no heed!

I didn't like the new locations of the fairies at all. In BotW those were serene places amidst nature. A little hidden away, surrounded by trees with small fairies flying around.

Here you see them from afar and they only stuck the main flower bud somewhere on the grass/snow.
I get that they relocated due to the monsters (and to have them easily reachable for the stable trotters quest) but finding them was much more special in BotW.

I didn't like the new locations of the fairies at all. In BotW those were serene places amidst nature. A little hidden away, surrounded by trees with small fairies flying around.

Here you see them from afar and they only stuck the main flower bud somewhere on the grass/snow.
I get that they relocated due to the monsters (and to have them easily reachable for the stable trotters quest) but finding them was much more special in BotW.
I liked that Hebra got one, but yeah nothing tops finding Tera in the very southwest corner of the map

Are the musicians supposed to be at the sable near the fairy fountain? Because I found my second fountain and one guy at the stable told me they left to other stable which is like at the other side of Hyrule. Are we supposed to tackle the fountains in a defined order? Or do they expect me to carry them all Hyrule in a sort of guided tour?

I barely have severe frame drops on my launch Switch. What I do notice tho is that when switching weapons on the fly, it takes the game a few milliseconds to load them. Even in the select menu some of them don't load until after 1-3 seconds, or even longer.
AND the disconnecting of attached Joy-Cons while playing handheld gets really annoying (doesn't have to do with the game, but still)

Are the musicians supposed to be at the sable near the fairy fountain?
Answer: I think you need to go get them at Woodland Stable first, then you can tackle the Fountains after that in any order. I think you also have to find their missing musicians first, but I can't verify this because I already found those dudes before starting the Fairy Fountain quests.

This Gerudo dungeon is so big brain, I feel like a dummy trying to figure out some of these puzzles
I felt the same about the Lightning and Fire temples, not in a bad way really though.

I don’t see it mentioned a lot but I personally feel these seamless dungeons require more wrapping your brain around them.

Separated rooms in the older games were much easier to immediately parse. Having to go through door opening animations and whatnot.

Here you’re just seamlessly zipping around an entire building. Which can lead to bypassing puzzles or the “intended” solution on one hand, but it also means it’s way more up to the player now to get a feel for the space.

I also think that’s subconsciously part of why people call them shorter - I’ve personally been stumped on some of them just as much as the old games stumped me, but traversal through them is way way quicker. This was the same with the DBs.

Went on a Depths adventure yesterday, I entered a Chasm around Hyrule Field, walked for a million kilometers and ended up finding a light-root which seems to be under Gerudo Desert. On the way I had another showdown with
Master Kohga
and found my first Lynel, a blue-maned gloom one with armor. It whooped my ass 3 or 4 times until I got down its' timing and could reliably trigger Flurry Rush in almost every attack. BTW, I learned that you can destroy armor
with hammers, bomb arrows don't seem to work against their armor for whatever reason.

When fighting
Bomber Master Kohga
I fused a spring to my shield, started shield surfing and that sent me high above him, so I could snipe him from above his shield. Doing it this way is much quicker than dropping a spring, getting on it on it and then jump-attack to trigger it. What did you guys do to beat him?

Got my hands on a bunch of Zonaite, puffshrooms, muddle and bomb flowers, bought some charges and upgraded my batteries, I have almost 4 full cells now. I completed some side-missions, met the flower-lady (she's as terrifying as ever!), found a bunch of Koroks and am now making my way to Goron City to continue with the main story. Soon I'll be done with 3 out of the 4 main dungeons and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer: I still have to go to Lurelin village, Eventide Island, the Typhlo ruins, explore the Lost Woods, explore Hebra properly, Akkala, Tarry town, the Great Plateau, the Lomai Labyrinths...and I still have much more than half the map pending in the Sky and Depths! This game is going to last me for months!

Answer: I think you need to go get them at Woodland Stable first, then you can tackle the Fountains after that in any order. I think you also have to find their missing musicians first, but I can't verify this because I already found those dudes before starting the Fairy Fountain quests.

Thing is:

I already found and saved the trumpet guy which is the one the required in the Hebra fountain. So I went there and they were not in the stable near the fountain playing. A guy in the stable told me they were, probably, near the twin peaks. I went there, and yeah, they were playing in that stable. So... am I supossed to get them from there to Hebra?!

Also, I already got the first fairy at Woodland Stable. I am going after my second.

Thing is:

I already found and saved the trumpet guy which is the one the required in the Hebra fountain. So I went there and they were not in the stable near the fountain playing. A guy in the stable told me they were, probably, near the twin peaks. I went there, and yeah, they were playing in that stable. So... am I supossed to get them from there to Hebra?!

Also, I already got the first fairy at Woodland Stable. I am going after my second.
no, you have to get them to the fairy near dual peaks. And then to another one near another stable and then in Hebra as well. They move from stable to stable by themselves after you did the quest for the specific fairy.
The fairies get stronger and the last one can level up your armor the furthest.

It is weirdly linear for such an open game, yes

I felt the same about the Lightning and Fire temples, not in a bad way really though.

I don’t see it mentioned a lot but I personally feel these seamless dungeons require more wrapping your brain around them.

Separated rooms in the older games were much easier to immediately parse. Having to go through door opening animations and whatnot.

Here you’re just seamlessly zipping around an entire building. Which can lead to bypassing puzzles or the “intended” solution on one hand, but it also means it’s way more up to the player now to get a feel for the space.

I also think that’s subconsciously part of why people call them shorter - I’ve personally been stumped on some of them just as much as the old games stumped me, but traversal through them is way way quicker. This was the same with the DBs.
I really liked the Lightning Temple for the reasons you said but I gotta say the boss was real bullshit. The queen can easily take out half your hearts in one hit and I have many hearts and upgraded armor. This means it's mostly just keeping your distance and waiting for Riju to recharge her ability and hoping you don't get hit by that sand attack (and trying to find her while whipping the camera around). I genuinely cannot remember the last time a Zelda boss gave me so much trouble. Had to eat a ton of food to get through it.

I think I liked the Fire Temple more, even if I'd put Lightning at second. The atmosphere and puzzles were great, but that boss just pissed me off lol

Finally made it back to Hateno. Not gonna lie, i missed that little town.

But damn, Hateno people ... what's with that shitty fashion?

no, you have to get them to the fairy near dual peaks. And then to another one near another stable and then in Hebra as well. They move from stable to stable by themselves after you did the quest for the specific fairy.
The fairies get stronger and the last one can level up your armor the furthest.

It is weirdly linear for such an open game, yes
That's odd, because for me (sidequest spoilers I guess) I'd been fast traveling around the stables without doing the Stable Trotters quests, and I could see them playing in the three stables. They were playing at Faron, I teleported to Hebra, they were playing there too.

Did a bit of exploring in Gerudo Desert before moving onto the story and I found a cool abandoned prison under some quicksand. I thought, well, if you go into whirlpools to find caves in this game, maybe quicksand... lo and behold! Love it.

Imagine being a happy, spectral frog chilling in your cave, protected by any danger, when a crazy dude with a mushroom shield and a stone-stick comes in, kills you and still your essence. Only to give it to
a weirdo that eats it because he believes he will become a spiritual being.
Forget the Koroks. That's the real war crime of Totk.

Imagine being a happy, spectral frog chilling in your cave, protected by any danger, when a crazy dude with a mushroom shield and a stone-stick comes in, kills you and still your essence. Only to give it to
a weirdo that eats it because he believes he will become a spiritual being.
Forget the Koroks. That's the real war crime of Totk.
Nah, those frogs are definitely eating the blupees. The blupees lead you right to their friends! To hell with the frogs. They're getting popped.
I bet feeding Koltin enough gems likewise turns him into the frog rather than Satori, fated to roam the earth trying to satisfy his insatiable craving for gems and the rabbit-owls that collect them.

I understand they want to keep the game open ended and let you do what you want when you want, but allowing people to discover the memories and story out of order hurts the stories impact overall. I had no idea the glyphs were even that important to the games story after I already made it to the end state. I had already pieced together the big reveal before that.
If they're not going to write a story that can work by watching the pieces in different orders, they should at least trigger all the cutscenes sequentially. I mean, first glyph you find you get scene #1, second glyph you get #2 and so on. This at least would allow them to have more control over how the players will see the story and they would be able to handle it better. There are really only 2-3 cutscenes with important information, the rest are more or less filler details.

The worst part is they give you the option to experience the story chronologically at your own pace by showing you the order of the geoglyphs, but then ruin it by giving everything away in the third one.
This is something that happens a lot in japanese media, writers have the subtlety of a bulldozer. A lot of times, when they try to throw a hint they go too far and end up giving away huge plot twists. Add the complexity of having to tell the story in self-contained scenes out of order and it's really hard to get a nice result.

I was noping the hell away from Gleeoks, but I just got to the Gerudo area and there is a quest that seems to involve killing one.

I am fucked.

Well I finally got to a part of the game I don't like, loathe even:
The Spirit Temple

Like, my experience with the lead up to it and the dungeon itself was actually really bad and I regret even playing it. The mechanics were just not fun and some parts required me to use controls I barely grappled with before that point which resulted in lots of frustration. I have no issues with the structure or even the concept from a narrative perspective but the actual gameplay itself was just terrible in my experience. It's the equivalent in feeling to the Wind Waker fetch quest. It almost felt like I was playing a different game and it seemed to lack a bit of polish in this segment as well. What a disappointment. Thankfully it's only a small part of the game.

Well I finally got to a part of the game I don't like, loathe even:
The Spirit Temple

Like, my experience with the lead up to it and the dungeon itself was actually really bad and I regret even playing it. The mechanics were just not fun and some parts required me to use controls I barely grappled with before that point which resulted in lots of frustration. I have no issues with the structure or even the concept from a narrative perspective but the actual gameplay itself was just terrible in my experience. It's the equivalent in feeling to the Wind Waker fetch quest. It almost felt like I was playing a different game and it seemed to lack a bit of polish in this segment as well. What a disappointment. Thankfully it's only a small part of the game.
When you say "lead up", which part are you referring to? Because there were definitely some highs and some very low lows in that part...

That's odd, because for me (sidequest spoilers I guess) I'd been fast traveling around the stables without doing the Stable Trotters quests, and I could see them playing in the three stables. They were playing at Faron, I teleported to Hebra, they were playing there too.
Interesting...Now I am not sure anymore.

I know the stage at Dual peaks was empty before I did my first fairy quest next to Death mountain. But afterwards I don't know if you can do them out of order.

Do ya'll dye your clothes in this game?

I feel like I always dye them for a while...then switch back to the original colors. Something just always feels slightly...off to me when I change it up. It's weird.

The system itself is also kind of frustrating, where you have to go to a specific place to dye your clothes, and then you can only dye exactly what you're wearing, and you have to go through it all again to change it...ugh.

This game needs a fashion mode. As soon as I’m out of cold areas/flame areas/battles that require better gear, I immediately switch to toga link. It really is that good looking.

Back
Top Bottom