• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Spoiler Thread

I have a feeling it already was playable back then, but they decided to heavily cut the intro sequence.
Even as it is right now, I've still seen a few people saying the introduction felt very un-EPD, too long and "boring".
I don't agree, but I'm sure Nintendo felt their original introduction was pushing it.

I have a feeling it already was playable back then, but they decided to heavily cut the intro sequence.
Even as it is right now, I've still seen a few people saying the introduction felt very un-EPD, too long and "boring".
I don't agree, but I'm sure Nintendo felt their original introduction was pushing it.
Well, it was... too short to be too long or boring. :p
But I agree with the "un-EPD" sentiment. Still, it set the tone for game and was very brief.

What part of the intro have people been complaining about? Surprised to hear that, I thought it was great. It also ties very nicely to the end - realizing at the end of your descent that you're right where you started, and that the music is now a more fucked up, frantic version of the music at the start, was a really epic moment

I imagine the intro wasn't fully done for E3 2019 and they made a cinematic with the intention of always coming back later. Riding the Dondon was likely scrapped relatively early since there's no indication in the game that they were ever intended to be mounts

Has anyone followed the Dragons down into the depths, stayed with them and risen back into the overworld yet?

I was warping to Kakariko and the moment I gained control of Link I turn the camera and I catch the tail of Naydra going down into the area where the entrance to the depths is, followed it inside, I shot an arrow to get a scale, landed and got it, followed it all the way to one of the other entrances, warped to a tower that was near an overworld entrance fully expecting the dragon to despawn and I freaked out that sure enough there was the dragon coming back into the overworld.

I LOVE this game!!!

Has anyone followed the Dragons down into the depths, stayed with them and risen back into the overworld yet?

I was warping to Kakariko and the moment I gained control of Link I turn the camera and I catch the tail of Naydra going down into the area where the entrance to the depths is, followed it inside, I shot an arrow to get a scale, landed and got it, followed it all the way to one of the other entrances, warped to a tower that was near an overworld entrance fully expecting the dragon to despawn and I freaked out that sure enough there was the dragon coming back into the overworld.

I LOVE this game!!!
Yeah I've done it multiple times with all dragons, really fun. Gotta get all those dragon stuff.
Only Zeldragon doesn't go in the dark world, which makes sense once you know it's actually Zelda.

The final boss was great but something was missing for me. So I went back and did it the right way.

Cece I'll make sure your name will live on in legend!

IMG_1150.png

IMG_1153.png

IMG_1155.png

IMG_1163.png

IMG_1166.png

Haven't got near the final boss yet, but have seen it.

Using Ganondorf's OoT boss motif to signify his second phase is hype as hell.

Also, the renditon of Ganon's Message when 'DEMON KING GANONDORF' appears on screen beforehand is amazing.

I'm surprised we didn't get to see Ganondorf's wild gloom horse ingame other than the one cutscene. I expected it to come back in the final battle.

Anybody else disappointed that the race track in tarrey town were no patches for new settlements...?
I ran into the region, saw these bumps on the race track and teared up a little because I thought we are building a bigger city now.. :D

The dream home thing is nice and all but also rather limited. Doesn't really do it for me.

Anybody else disappointed that the race track in tarrey town were no patches for new settlements...?
I ran into the region, saw these bumps on the race track and teared up a little because I thought we are building a bigger city now.. :D

The dream home thing is nice and all but also rather limited. Doesn't really do it for me.
I thought the same thing! When I saw the patches I got super excited thinking we were going to build a town again!

I was wondering if someone could help me to make some more sense with the story? Because the more I think of it, the more it appears to me as a bit, like, contrived.

Why did Zelda get the Time Tear from Rauru the hand when Rauru is the Light guy?
Zelda going back in time becoming the Sage of Time doesn't create a paradox or timeline split... right?
What was up with Ganondorf's deceit? (Which to me was pretty poorly pulled off) Did he just... swear allegiance, Rauru was like "hm, ok", and Dorf just shows up and stabs Sonia?
How and why did Zelda turn from a dragon into her original self? Didn't quite follow that one.

I was wondering if someone could help me to make some more sense with the story? Because the more I think of it, the more it appears to me as a bit, like, contrived.

Why did Zelda get the Time Tear from Rauru the hand when Rauru is the Light guy?
Zelda going back in time becoming the Sage of Time doesn't create a paradox or timeline split... right?
What was up with Ganondorf's deceit? (Which to me was pretty poorly pulled off) Did he just... swear allegiance, Rauru was like "hm, ok", and Dorf just shows up and stabs Sonia?
How and why did Zelda turn from a dragon into her original self? Didn't quite follow that one.
The secret stones don’t have any actual inherent power, rather it enhances the powers of the individual. Its why Ganondorf doesn’t get time powers when he takes Sonia’s stone.

We don’t know. The problem is that this takes place more than 10k years before TotK so we don’t know how this would affect the timeline.

Ganondorf swears allegiance and Rauru believes in a “keep your enemies closer” philosophy. He believes he will be able to counter him better if he can see him. It…doesn’t work out.

In the final secret cutscene, Mineru speculated that Rauru’s light powers and Sonia’s time power restore Zelda.

As said above, the Secret Stones merely amplify inherent power. I actually thought it was kinda neat that Rauru's and Zelda's stones were actually the same stone due to time travel shenanigans
I would say it creates a closed time loop rather than a paradox. Zelda was involved in the Imprisoning War, which led to Ganondorf being sealed underground, which led to Zelda finding him and going back in time to be involved with the Imprisoning War.

This is probably a version of time travel which is not entirely consistent with other stories in Zelda (which usually follow a "travelling backwards in time creates a new timeline, rather than always being part of your own") but I don't petsonall think that matters too much
Yeah, he acted peaceful to be able to get closer to the stones. It wasn't a genius-level plan or anything but clearly worked lol
This definitely felt like a stretch lol. I was happy to go along with it to get that skydiving scene but I agree it wasn't really established how that was possible

What a cool fight was Ganondorf: a good challenge, a little scary, it not only fill your hearts in gloom, but he takes it again from you. Dragondorf was cool also, just like Dark Beast Ganon from BotW.

And the music! Hearing the music of the official trailer 2 in the battle? Amazing. And then Calamity Ganon once again! Details like that prove their connection. Too bad Nintendo didn’t connect both even more.

However, I’m questioning when are they going to announce Hyrule Warriors The Imprisoning War. It will fit pretty well to experience the full war in all of its glory. I only hope that Koei can make use of the canon story and not do another what if like AoC.

Just got the last tear and had a major revelation.

Silent Princess flowers grow around it after Link experiences the memories. Maybe that's where Silent Princesses come from? They grow where Zelda (as a dragon) cried over the eons? That retroactively gives Zelda's fascination with them in BotW even more significance.

1. They explain Secret Stones amplify existing abilities, not grant them. The stones themselves don't have certain abilities until bonded to a person.
2. Nope. It was always meant to happen. The hidden Walls in the beginning show the story of her becoming a dragon. They were always there, just ubstructed.
3. Yeah, they rushed through that a bit quick. It's explained away as being so easy because of Rauru's hubris.
4. It isn't entirely clear, but throughout the game, they make a big deal of the fact that Zelda has both Rauru's Light and Sonia's Time powers. If I had to guess, it seems like they were trying to telegraph that Zelda having those powers within her meant that Sonia and Rauru could channel they're own light and time powers through Link, and use them together to turn her back.

Edit: oop, people already answered. Missed that. My bad.

You'd think being so crucial to the plot of the game, the secret Stones would have been explained better. Same with the whole Draconification element. It would've also probably have made more sense to use the wish granting artifact the the series is built around to restore Zelda, as opposed to it just happening at the end... which makes no sense as if all it took was Link, Rauru, and Sonia, it could have happened at any point in the present.

You'd think being so crucial to the plot of the game, the secret Stones would have been explained better. Same with the whole Draconification element. It would've also probably have made more sense to use the wish granting artifact the the series is built around to restore Zelda, as opposed to it just happening at the end... which makes no sense as if all it took was Link, Rauru, and Sonia, it could have happened at any point in the present.
I agree that the "Zelda being turned back to human" was fairly unearned, but worth pointing out that the timing does make sense: she needed to remain a dragon long enough to assist Link with the fight against the Demonic Dragon, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to reach* and it would have presumably destroyed the world

*I mean he could have just built a contraption with Zonai parts lol but I don't think that would be the solution to a story beat 😆

They're magic stones, they don't seem that out of place in a series with the triforce and zoanite.

I feel like it's a combination of "the power of love" and specific circumstances that may not have been the case before

It's more of a "it was always supposed to happen" kind of time loop. Zelda was here 10k years ago, because time knew that in the game's present she would be sent to the past.
If it wasn't, there wouldn't be Zeldragon in our game and we wouldn't get the Master Sword back.
She would be in another universe's timeline she would have traveled to.

It's different from OoT's time travel.

Minor point - the past of TOTK is likely much more than 10,000 years ago, since at that time a presumably firmly established Hyrule was attacked by Calamity Ganon
Ah yeah my bad.
I just still use to say 10 thousand years ago since TOTK second trailer, because until not so long ago I was certain Toga Link in the trailers was actually ancient Link depicted in BOTW. (I believed it until basically last trailer and Aonuma's gameplay video)

a5bbdor_700b.jpg

And as a force of habit I still say 10,000 years ago because I thought the past would be set during the first Calamity.

It's funny how I was certain that TOTK would feature Link time travelling, and actually there is time travel, but it's Zelda who does it.

Also…the four sages we meet are the same people the divine beasts are named after right? Ruto, Rudania, Naboris, and Medoh.
Probably.
Also in BOTW I thought the Goron who is depicted in the village was Darunia, but it seems it's actually the Goron sage since he has the exact same beard.
When he first showed up I went crazy "wait wait wait... the light sage is named Rauru... The Zora sage is a woman... The Goron one has Darunia's beard... Is it the OoT sages ?!" Lol
I still find it kind of weird that they make sure to NEVER show us the sage's face by the way.

Also one of the reasons why I think BOTW and TOTK are their own universes which is a retelling of the whole Zelda saga. Imprisoning War, the sages reminescent of OoT ones, the Ganondorf scene with the King, time travel shenanigans, the Zora princess which offers a wedding artifact from her people to Link, the Dark World...

Now do BOTW3 and readapt Twilight Princess. That would be dope.
I am now on board with "the founding of hyrule seen in TotK is actually a different Hyrule far in the future"
Or it's that yeah. Either it's an alternate universe in which the legend of Zelda happens but a bit differently, or it's so far in the future and the legend of Zelda is some kind of loop that will always happen, with major events like Ganondorf winning and then the Imprisoning War always happening at some point.

Or it's that yeah. Either it's an alternate universe in which the legend of Zelda happens but a bit differently, or it's so far in the future and the legend of Zelda is some kind of loop that will always happen, with major events like Ganondorf winning and then the Imprisoning War always happening at some point.
I would make sense imo if it was at the end of either the child or adult time lines-- maybe the great sea eventually dries up and they go back to hyrule and "found" it. We've had new hyrules before.

It definitely not a new universe tho I don't think. They reference Skyward Sword and OoT pretty explicitly just as those games happened.

I would make sense imo if it was at the end of either the child or adult time lines-- maybe the great sea eventually dries up and they go back to hyrule and "found" it. We've had new hyrules before.

It definitely not a new universe tho I don't think. They reference Skyward Sword and OoT pretty explicitly just as those games happened.
I would just expect Skyward Sword to happen exactly as it is in that BOTW/TOTK universe anyway, but yeah there are some OoT references...
Which makes the fact that Rauru invites Ganondorf to the castle even weirder.
They know about OoT's events, but won't find it suspicious at first when a male Gerudo leader named Ganondorf comes to the castle ? (Thankfully they immediately sense that he is evil anyway, but they had to meet him to realize that and his name didn't ring any bell)
They do know names of people from that era if we are to believe the lakes' and forests' names of Hyrule.

I would just expect Skyward Sword to happen exactly as it is in that BOTW/TOTK universe anyway, but yeah there are some OoT references...
They know about OoT's events, but won't find it suspicious at first when a male Gerudo leader named Ganondorf comes to the castle ? (Thankfully they immediately sense that he is evil anyway, but they had to meet him to realize that and his name didn't ring any bell)
They do know names of people from that era if we are to believe the lakes' and forests' names of Hyrule.
I would say either he's the first Ganondorf (before OoT) and so it isn't that weird, or it is so far in the future that it's not that common knowledge, and the Zora/Gerudo didn't bother to tell Rauru lol

Also…the four sages we meet are the same people the divine beasts are named after right? Ruto, Rudania, Naboris, and Medoh.
Probably.
Also in BOTW I thought the Goron who is depicted in the village was Darunia, but it seems it's actually the Goron sage since he has the exact same beard.
When he first showed up I went crazy "wait wait wait... the light sage is named Rauru... The Zora sage is a woman... The Goron one has Darunia's beard... Is it the OoT sages ?!" Lol
I still find it kind of weird that they make sure to NEVER show us the sage's face by the way.

Also one of the reasons why I think BOTW and TOTK are their own universes which is a retelling of the whole Zelda saga. Imprisoning War, the sages reminescent of OoT ones, the Ganondorf scene with the King, time travel shenanigans, the Zora princess which offers a wedding artifact from her people to Link, the Dark World...

Now do BOTW3 and readapt Twilight Princess. That would be dope.

From BotW we know Naboris and Rutah are named after Nabooru and Ruto.
Nabooru...Legend of the Gerudo, celebrated over ages. And you, who were named to honor her - you are a legend as well. Isn't that right, Naboris?

Long, long ago... In a past more distant than even the Great Calamity or the creation of the Divine Beast Vah Ruta...

There was a Zora princess named Ruto.

We know that she was an attendant to the Zora patron deity and that she was a fair and lively girl, beloved to all.

Around that same time, an evil man with designs on ruling the world appeared, bringing disaster upon Zora's Domain.

It is said that Ruto then awoke as a sage, facing this foe alongside the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend.

Her achievements are remembered not only by the Zora, they are also forever etched in the history of Hyrule.

The Divine Beast Vah Ruta, built ages later to face off against Calamity Ganon, was named in honor of Ruto.
Though there is still enough wiggle room for Nabooru, if you really want. You can assume the ancient Gerudo sage was named Nabooru too.
They know about OoT's events, but won't find it weird that male Gerudo leader named Ganondorf comes to the castle ?
In the first page of this thread I posted my theory. Basically, I think TotK past takes place between the post-SS Era of Chaos and Minish Cap, which is conveniently where the official timeline already places the foundation of the Kingdom of Hyrule and a period of time where the Master Sword and the Triforce should be a secret for everybody (as confirmed by Minish Cap, where they don't appear).

There are some inconsistencies here and there and you end up with Zelda flying in the sky and Ganondorf I buried under Hyrule Castle during every other game in the series but IMHO it mostly works.

If we assume the Koume & Kotake from TotK are the same Koume & Kotake from OoT, this would places TotK past roughly 400 years before OoT, long enough for MC, FS and OoT backstory to happen.

Just beat the game. The story was fantastic. I loved how Zelda's story progressed and the reveal of her true nature in present day Hyrule.

BotW had me question whether it was a reboot of the Zelda universe. TotK now makes me 100% feel like these games are a reboot of Zelda as a whole and setting up a new timeline all together. I would love a third game with this Hyrule, Zelda and Link. Maybe incorporating the Twilight Realm like was mentioned above.

Just noticed something interesting about the ending and what that might signal for the future:
When Zelda gets dedraconified, link loses his zonai arm and powers. Now I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but I see no point in including this detail other than depowering link for a potential future game.

I'm sure what the next zelda has not been decided yet, but this signals to me that the devs are at least keeping the door open for BOTW3 even if I doubt they'll go with this in the end.
Probably meaningless in the end though

I agree that the "Zelda being turned back to human" was fairly unearned, but worth pointing out that the timing does make sense: she needed to remain a dragon long enough to assist Link with the fight against the Demonic Dragon, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to reach* and it would have presumably destroyed the world

*I mean he could have just built a contraption with Zonai parts lol but I don't think that would be the solution to a story beat 😆
No one knew Ganondorf was gonna transform into a Dragon tho. In fact I'm not even sure how Ganondorf knew that was a thing the stones could.
They're magic stones, they don't seem that out of place in a series with the triforce and zoanite.
The Triforce actually has a lot of lore behind it, and like a whole entire origin story that is also the origin story of the universe. Zonaite is just a mineral, it doesn't need much explanation. As for the stones themselves, they're about on par with stuff like Light Force or something similar. They just kinda exist, and are tied to the Zonai...somehow. More lore on how they came to be and their function/purpose would have been appreciated, even something as simple as them being divine relics left behind by the Goddess Hylia and subsequently entrusted to the Zonai to watch over them.

No one knew Ganondorf was gonna transform into a Dragon tho.
To be fair, Sonia was a ghost with power over time. She probably knew.
Just noticed something interesting about the ending and what that might signal for the future:
When Zelda gets dedraconified, link loses his zonai arm and powers. Now I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but I see no point in including this detail other than depowering link for a potential future game.

I'm sure what the next zelda has not been decided yet, but this signals to me that the devs are at least keeping the door open for BOTW3 even if I doubt they'll go with this in the end.
I expect this too! Maybe not in this Hyrule (maybe even a new artstyle) but I think we're not done with this iteration of Link and Zelda

This is the spoiler thread, you don't need to tag stuff.

And I feel you're over thinking this, despite me saying I could see the dlc being a small post game story with Link & Zelda in another thread. The reason Link gets his arm back and Zelda gets her body/mind back is to make sure there is a maximum happy ending for everyone. I doubt they wrote the story to set up a sequel.

It's a known aspect of the stones if you eat them, Zelda talk about it
I'm aware. Mineru mentions tales of people doing as such (which would seem to imply there's more than just seven stones, unless people are able to "pass" them,) Zelda than gets the idea to do as such from her. However we never see Ganondorf learn this, we never seen him learn of the Secret Stones at all in fact, as he's already aware of them by the time he first appears on screen. Honestly so much of the story in the past is just left up to be assumed or speculated, it's kinda ridiculous.
To be fair, Sonia was a ghost with power over time. She probably knew.
I mean that only adds more questions. Ghosts in BOTW/ToTK only seem to be able to persist if they have a set purpose to fullfil, and Rauru seems to have fulfilled that purpose at the beginning of the game by guiding Link around the Great Sky Island. Tho I guess you could say theyre purposes was to revive Zelda, but the whole section, including Link going into a spirit zone or whatever felt really contrived. It was visually cool, but could have been better imo.

This is the spoiler thread, you don't need to tag stuff.

And I feel you're over thinking this, despite me saying I could see the dlc being a small post game story with Link & Zelda in another thread. The reason Link gets his arm back and Zelda gets her body/mind back is to make sure there is a maximum happy ending for everyone. I doubt they wrote the story to set up a sequel.
You're probably right.
However the problem I see with a post game dlc specifically is that links zonai powers are gone. If dlc exists I doubt it will occur after the story and instead will be like how botw handled it.

No one knew Ganondorf was gonna transform into a Dragon tho. In fact I'm not even sure how Ganondorf knew that was a thing the stones could.
To be fair, given how Ganondorf just radiates Perfect Cell energy, I think Rarau and Sonia could probably have guessed that was the direction he would take if he ever got pushed that far.

In the spirit temple section. I love that the design of the boxes the robot parts come in, while made of the same material as climbable mesh, make it look like the plastic sprues that model kits come in

Reading the description of the Barbarian armor. Seems to be the same as BotW. We all thought the “Ancient Warlike tribe from the Faron region” was the Zonai right? I don’t think that’s the case anymore. That description doesn’t really seem to fit them

What im wondering is. Who the heck was the ancient hero from 10k years ago. His/her armour has like Zonai features, but also a tail... So not quite right. Then there is the fact that years and years before 10k years ago, during the time of Hyrule's founding there were only 2 Zonai left in Rauru and Mineru...

What im wondering is. Who the heck was the ancient hero from 10k years ago. His/her armour has like Zonai features, but also a tail... So not quite right. Then there is the fact that years and years before 10k years ago, during the time of Hyrule's founding there were only 2 Zonai left in Rauru and Mineru...
I'm wondering...given that Link is usually a descendant from a previous Link (not always, see WW) and that SS Link and Zelda perhaps are on the upper ends of possible romance, maybe Rarau's and Sonia's children had a branch that kept the Zonai alive that way?

Also, I finished Messages from an Ancient Era. First off...is that text Old English? Secondly, Sonia is first referred to as a Priestess while Rarau is always referred to as King. I do think this hints that Sonia is a descendant of the SS Zelda.

That would have been hilarious if the fight was link piloting some weird-ass contraption stuck together with glue :D

I’ve just finished it and I do wonder whether it’s something to do with Ganon having Sonia’s stone. Her original powers were about time, (Zelda is time+light) so when Ganon is destroyed, perhaps the stone reunites with Sonia somehow, giving her enough of a boost in time power to help restore Zelda. I don’t know, it does seem like a very neat ‘all the anguish of Zelda’s decision is undone once the boss is defeated’. Still, it’s not like that’s unusual in the kinda fairytale zone Zelda’s storytelling fits in, in the same way that Dracula’s castle collapses when he’s defeated and magic is undone.

Edit- the post-credits scene explicitly says it’s Rauru’s light power and Sonia’s time power channeled through Link, so a sort of symmetry there in that Zelda is light/time.

I was far too busy being impressed that the final blow mirrors where the master sword was residing with Zelda, which also then calls back to Ganons defeat in the Wind Waker too.

So many musical callbacks too in the endgame. The classic Zelda march, Zelda’s lullaby. All of it tugging on my nostalgia and taking me back to first being given a sword in a cave on the NES, long before I knew what D&D, Lord of The Rings, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest were. Just an elf hero with a sword and an evil wizard that needs gutting.

Edit- my autocorrect wanted to say ‘needs hugging’ there, probably that too :)

Last edited:
One more note about flying contraptions- I left the Yiga stuff until the end, so for me the couple of hours before the final battle was spent exploring the depths to fight comedy Saturday-morning-cartoon villains. I kinda wish I’d followed that thread earlier and returned to it throughout my playthrough, rather than doing three hauls through the depths in a row at the end.

One more note about flying contraptions- I left the Yiga stuff until the end, so for me the couple of hours before the final battle was spent exploring the depths to fight comedy Saturday-morning-cartoon villains. I kinda wish I’d followed that thread earlier and returned to it throughout my playthrough, rather than doing three hauls through the depths in a row at the end.
This was exactly my experience

Speaking of end game cinematics, I was wondering about Link being shirtless at the end. Is it just down to
A) them wanting a single ending without the vast variety of sets of clothing and weapons
B) wanting viewers to focus on the essential elements of Link and the Master Sword without the distractions of various other weird bits of clothing and kit
C) narrative symmetry of that being how Link started the game

Or a mix of all of the above?

Weirdly he’s still got his battery :)

Tearing up at the last line, ‘Find Princess Zelda: complete.”

I kinda wish we got to know the old sages more, they don’t even have names. I love the Gerudo design.

But also they could’ve run into the problem with BotW where the champions overshadowed their descendants a lot once you actually got to the DB

Maybe we’ll get to know them with playable Zelda DLC set in the past :p

Back
Top Bottom