• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Spoiler Thread

Can we just take a moment to realize how much of our dreams came true?

Lots of Zeldatubers pre-release were like:

"I hope there's a dungeon in Death Mountain's chasm."
"I hope there's some kind of area beneath the waters of the Zora reservoir."
"I hope that there's holes in the ground that leads to an underworld."
"I hope they spice up weapon durability in some way."
"I hope Tarrey Town is back."

:')

If there's a Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War, it's absolutely going to be an Age of Calamity affair where Link and the new sages, perhaps even the old champions, are pulled back into the past to fight Ganondorf.
I’d… honestly be more okay with this than I was with the time travel stuff in AOC lol. Partially because I would kind of expect it because of AOC.

But it also has to do with the difference of the role memories play in TOTK vs BotW.

In BotW the memories essentially were the story of the entire game. BotW was the very last act of that story. And it was grounded, depressing etc. That’s why I wanted it to be playable first hand. And to be honest, I was generally fine with the time travel at the end for the sake of fanservice and a bigger roster, but the game should’ve had a canon bad ending too.

In TOTK, the memories are more of “here’s what Zelda’s doing while you’re on your adventure.” Even though it technically takes place in the past and doubles as some backstory, it’s still our present Zelda. There’s not a feeling of “oh this is some super cool story in the past that we’re missing out on by not having it playable.” It runs parallel to TotK’s more active present day story. And TotK already introduced time travel fuckery in its base game, so it would be way less out of left field lol.

I've been dutifully avoiding this thread for weeks because I wanted to wait until I'd finished the game, so I imagine the question has already been largely addressed but still: where the hell is the Triforce?

I had somehow missed this thread entirely when I made a big, chunky bullet-point list of thoughts on the game. My bad! If anyone should care, I posted it here. I am super glad that people seem to be loving the game, but I am even more glad to see people being relatively civil about their likes and dislikes. I think it's going to be a very interesting game to talk about once the dust has settled a bit.

I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't already been discussed in this thread, so I'm going to throw my hat in with my hopes for the next game of this style: more levels like BotW's Hyrule Castle, re-contextualizing Shrines as overworld/cave puzzles naturally woven into the environment, a smaller and denser overworld that is a completely new setting, vastly increased quality-of-life, and in general more risk-taking when it comes to narrative and visual design.

I don't value story in Zelda games a whole lot compared to others. These games are big Vibe games for me and I think the micro-stories are more interesting than the big picture most of the time. However, I think we need to see these characters and fantasy species move on from this particular setting again and move from Hyrule to somewhere totally new and wondrous.

Hello everyone, I subscribed to this forum just now after beating Totk (what an amazing game!), but I've been reading you for a while.
I want to discuss with you a lore matter that has been bugging me, and want to know what you think about it. Sorry for my poor english, I'll try my best.

Zelda, at a certain point in time, travels back in time, than transforms into a dragon a lives for thousand of years, till the end of totk. At a certain point in time, we must have two Zeldas living in the same world. Dragon Zelda with the master sword and Botw Zelda. And that's acceptable, since at a certain point in time Zelda is born, even if there is Dragon Zelda lurking around.
The problem is the master sword. The only way possibile for it to be two master sword in the same universe, is that Totk's ancient past takes time before Skyward Sword (because in SS is where the master sword is seen for the first time, right?).
If we assume that SS events take place before Raul's foundation of Hyrule, than the frame of events between Zelda's transformation in dragon and the thousands of years ahead would not comprehend the creation of another master sword, hence it would not be possibile for Link to have it in BOTW since it's been sent to the past and it's been stuck on Dragon Zelda's head ever since.
But the other problem is that Ganondorf as we know him, The Demon King, is part of Demise's doom. If we accept the fact that Totk's past takes place before SS, to justify the presence of two master swords at a certain point in time, then Ganondorf as the Demon King could not exist in that distance past, because Demise has not yet cast his spell.

What am I missing here?

I put a LOT of hours into this game and I haven't even worked on the main quest all that much yet. LOVE the game. Incredible stuff. I haven't been posting on here all that much lately but I'm still around. Just enjoying a wonderful game and excited for the Summer Game Fest in a few minutes. :)

Hello everyone, I subscribed to this forum just now after beating Totk (what an amazing game!), but I've been reading you for a while.
I want to discuss with you a lore matter that has been bugging me, and want to know what you think about it. Sorry for my poor english, I'll try my best.

Zelda, at a certain point in time, travels back in time, than transforms into a dragon a lives for thousand of years, till the end of totk. At a certain point in time, we must have two Zeldas living in the same world. Dragon Zelda with the master sword and Botw Zelda. And that's acceptable, since at a certain point in time Zelda is born, even if there is Dragon Zelda lurking around.
The problem is the master sword. The only way possibile for it to be two master sword in the same universe, is that Totk's ancient past takes time before Skyward Sword (because in SS is where the master sword is seen for the first time, right?).
If we assume that SS events take place before Raul's foundation of Hyrule, than the frame of events between Zelda's transformation in dragon and the thousands of years ahead would not comprehend the creation of another master sword, hence it would not be possibile for Link to have it in BOTW since it's been sent to the past and it's been stuck on Dragon Zelda's head ever since.
But the other problem is that Ganondorf as we know him, The Demon King, is part of Demise's doom. If we accept the fact that Totk's past takes place before SS, to justify the presence of two master swords at a certain point in time, then Ganondorf as the Demon King could not exist in that distance past, because Demise has not yet cast his spell.

What am I missing here?
The people in this thread might be better placed to help answer that, though I expect they won't have reached a consensus on an answer

I've been dutifully avoiding this thread for weeks because I wanted to wait until I'd finished the game, so I imagine the question has already been largely addressed but still: where the hell is the Triforce?
They've been de-emphazing the Triforce for a while. It's never named in Twilight Princess even if it's displayed multiple times, and obviously it wasn't in BOTW either. They only really put it in Skyward Sword because it's a game about the backstory to all of the Hyrule lore.

Anything in the art book we would say didn’t make it into the game? I feel like I’m seeing things that aren’t in the game.

They've been de-emphazing the Triforce for a while. It's never named in Twilight Princess even if it's displayed multiple times, and obviously it wasn't in BOTW either. They only really put it in Skyward Sword because it's a game about the backstory to all of the Hyrule lore.
Unless I've misunderstood , it seemed to me that the whole BOTW story arc about Zelda not being able to awaken her power was directly about the Triforce, even if it's not explicitly mentioned.

Unless I've misunderstood , it seemed to me that the whole BOTW story arc about Zelda not being able to awaken her power was directly about the Triforce, even if it's not explicitly mentioned.
it might be and is a common theory
not confirmed though, and isn't elaborated on totk other than zeldas light powers apprently being from raruru (although she could technically have r power and Triforce)

Btw, I really enjoy how on point Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are about Zelda lore. A sweet spot between SS exposition and being unimportant as in BOTW/TOTK.

Just finished the game, and have to say that is EASILY one of the best ending sequences I have seen in a game.

Every beat landed with me. The companions joining in at perfect moments, the inspired dragon sequence, the dive to Zelda with the music from the trailers blaring, my god.

I thought the Rito sequence would be the game's highlight, but the ending was literal perfection.

it might be and is a common theory
not confirmed though, and isn't elaborated on totk other than zeldas light powers apprently being from raruru (although she could technically have r power and Triforce)
I don't absolutely want the Triforce to be front and center, and I'm fine with each episode being a different variation, a rewrite. The thing is, TOTK was explicitly presented as a direct sequel to BOTW, and there's a lot in the game that treats the universe as such. However, while I really liked TOTK's storyline in general, a lot of it didn't really feel like a direct sequel to BOTW, I found. This left me with a slightly mixed feeling.

I'm talking about Triforce in terms of the continuity between the two games, but there are other narrative elements that challenge me a little, or give the impression of being patchwork. For example, while I absolutely adored Zelda's role in the story, and the whole plot centered on her journey into the past and Raoru, some characters seemed to come out of nowhere, in a rather generic way, simply to replace the Champions in the plot. Moreover, while TOTK seemed to me to have a much more accomplished storyline than BOTW, I find Link's companions much more superficial and insipid than the Champions were in BOTW. Perhaps future DLC could focus on their stories to give them more consistency.

Is someone having a better time after finishing the main story than before?

This game works really well without guidance. As I don't have a specific goal when I start playing I create small goals on each playthrough and allow myself to detour from those whenever I see something that catches my attention. When I was doing the main story, and cared about it, I created some "long terms" goals (like I want to go to see the goron upheaval today) and didn't allow myself to detour from it that much.

Skyrim is still my favorite open world and my first moment of total freedom in games. Probably there's a reason why its main quest sucks and is as important as other quests. I never felt compelled to finish it and was guiding myself through my interests for the entire game. Of course everyone would be disappointed with a Zelda with even less focus on the main story but I think this aspect still needs more work to fit well with the openness philosophy.

One thing that both BOTW and TOTK still do that really bothers me is this idea of binding story and errands to reach a dungeon. It's a 3d Zelda heritage that personally would be the first thing I would ditch on an open air concept. Discovering dungeons by myself during exploration is my utmost desire in a Zelda game. Being spoiled about their locations from start also sucks. Just let NPCs near the regions offer somes tips and that's it. They can insert the story tidbits after the dungeon is finished.

Btw, I was thinking about a concept where Hyrule is kind of peaceful(of course with monsters here and there) and the player has this world and not many main objectives from start. Then the player starts exploring, discover some dungeon, complete then out of curiosity and defeat the boss. After defeating the first dungeon boss(whatever they choose first) they discover that the boss wasn't an enemy. It was actually protecting a seal and after the player touchs it, shit starts happening at Hyrule. Now the player needs to go after the other seals for whatever reason(maybe needing all bosses power to lock the evil again). Could be a good way to rewards player curiosity and have story tidbits after each dungeon(with stuff actually happening in the present). Maybe after the first dungeon(the one that free the evil, whatever you choose) you can go after the final boss.

Beat the game today after somewhere over 150 hours. I did all the shrines, caves, wells, and side adventures before going for Ganondorf.

Its definitely an improvement over BotW in many areas, though I am not as quick to say it's far better as many people seem to be. The sky islands and the depths are really cool additions to a world we've already explored, but I wish they both were a bit less repetitive. Pacing is always a very tricky thing in open world games and I think BotW did it a bit better. In a way, I think there's almost too much to do for what you end up getting for it. Your rewards for exploration and side quests are rather disappointing for the most part, as they typically end up being something temporary like a carrot or a costume that was DLC in the last game. The journey is pretty much always fun, but it wouldn't hurt to make the goal a bit more satisfying. And, of course, the partner system is such a damn cool idea that was executed rather poorly in many regards. In the end, Fuse and Ultra Hand are the clear highlights of this game, and the only two things I would sorely miss if I were to ever go back and play BotW again.

As for the story, I enjoyed it. It certainly has a bit of sequelitis with going to the 4 main regions again to help stop a mysterious evil. And getting the same exact cutscene 4 times after the first 4 dungeons was pretty disappointing. The revelation of Zelda being a dragon and pulling the Master Sword out of her noggin was awesome, even though the urgency of her staying as a dragon forever was more so barely an inconvenience. I wasn't expecting it, but I was hoping for there to be a proper post game. It's such a cool concept to have in an open world especially (RDR2 and Horizon Forbidden West being recent examples). And as mind numbingly easy as the final boss was, the whole dragon fight was a fantastic spectacle.

All that said, the game is a really fun time despite not hitting as hard as playing BotW for the first time. I know many are also immediately claiming this as their favorite game ever which is not something I could ever do so suddenly with any game. BotW is a top 3 game of mine, but I wasn't even sure of that until maybe a year or so after. I had a lot of critiques of BotW as well but it still ended up being one of my GOATs for what it did right. So I'll have to sit with it for a while as I continue to return to it here and there to cross t's and dot i's. Though I'll probably just end up grouping the two games together in one spot like I did with GoW/GoWR because I'm crazy like that.

Fingers crossed for some good DLC.

I need some help y’all.

So I’m assuming Gralens in lookout landing functions the same as Kilton from BotW, tracking how many overworld bosses you’ve beaten

Thing is, I’ve beaten two Gleeoks. There are 13 total in the game, yet he says I have 12 left. Why is it not adding up?

It's pretty rare I play a game and conclude it's one of my all time favorites, but I felt certain that was the case with TOTK. I've never put over 100 hours into a game in the first 3 weeks, I'm very certain. I ruined my sleep schedule over it lol

Still would probably put it in the bottom half of a top ten, but hey. I didn't hold any special reverence for BOTW other than it "just" being really good, so there was nowhere for TOTK to go but up for me.
Is someone having a better time after finishing the main story than before?
It's more enjoyable to explore and experiment without it hanging over your head, yeah. The rare game where I'm motivated to play after credits.

Okay I need to get out of the mindset of putting the final boss off.

I’m like should I do all side adventures and all shrines??

I would feel incomplete if I didn’t, but I wanna save stuff for post game too😭

Gonna say it's funny seeing people here express disappointment with the game, saying it's too similar, etc. when I know they were also chiding people in other threads for expressing hesitation or skepticism during the marketing (especially with saying the game looked too similar!)

Then it's doubly hilarious as someone who was mildly skeptical about the game during the majority of the marketing cycle, then I played it and not only did I love it way more than BOTW, it became my favorite Zelda and one of my all time favorite games ever

The takeaway? No idea, maybe something about managing expectations

Also this isn't a callout, don't take this post personally if you fall into this camp, it's all in good fun
Lmao same here. I literally just rolled credits and loved the game. I was skeptical as hell until the last trailer when I got hyped.

It's also hilarious seeing my prediction of a Galaxy 2-esque reception by diehards coming to fruition. It was just too obvious.

Okay I need to get out of the mindset of putting the final boss off.

I’m like should I do all side adventures and all shrines??

I would feel incomplete if I didn’t, but I wanna save stuff for post game too😭
In the same boat right now. I'm just going to finish some tasks and probably get distracted along the way anyway.

Lmao same here. I literally just rolled credits and loved the game. I was skeptical as hell until the last trailer when I got hyped.

It's also hilarious seeing my prediction of a Galaxy 2-esque reception by diehards coming to fruition. It was just too obvious.
Yeah I expect this will come down to how much you value the novelty of BOTW vs. the iterations on TOTK

But to me there's no question, I really liked BOTW but TOTK is the best game I've played in years, I've already more than doubled my BOTW playtime

Yeah I expect this will come down to how much you value the novelty of BOTW vs. the iterations on TOTK

But to me there's no question, I really liked BOTW but TOTK is the best game I've played in years, I've already more than doubled my BOTW playtime

I agree that TotK is a Galaxy 2-like sequel in some ways.

But that’s selling a lot of it short. It’s a complete evolution of BotW. There’s ways where TOTK just makes BotW, and much of the rest of the industry, feel like child’s play. We wouldn’t have countless articles of even game developers being wowed at the things going on here if this was a mere iterative sequel.

So in that sense I’d say that a Zelda-ALTTP jump is just as accurate as a Galaxy-Galaxy 2 jump.

I’d go as far as to say TOTK wows me more than BotW, and has more novelty than it, in many, many ways less from an audiovisual standpoint, and more from a mechanical perspective.

I agree that TotK is a Galaxy 2-like sequel in some ways.

But that’s selling a lot of it short. It’s a complete evolution of BotW. There’s ways where TOTK just makes BotW, and much of the rest of the industry, feel like child’s play. We wouldn’t have countless articles of even game developers being wowed at the things going on here if this was a mere iterative sequel.

So in that sense I’d say that a Zelda-ALTTP jump is just as accurate as a Galaxy-Galaxy 2 jump.

I’d go as far as to say TOTK wows me more than BotW, and has more novelty than it, in many, many ways less from an audiovisual standpoint, and more from a mechanical perspective.
I'm just saying the reception is similar to what I saw for Galaxy 2 where it didn't capture some intangible that people had conjured in their heads. A lot of what I'm reading in this thread from posters I recognize can likely be chalked up to batshit insane expectations that once in a lifetime feelings would be recaptured.

I know what people are getting at with a Galaxy to Galaxy 2 comparison, but that falls a bit flat for me since Galaxy 2 went for a tighter game whereas TK goes for a wider game for better and for worse.

I know what people are getting at with a Galaxy to Galaxy 2 comparison, but that falls a bit flat for me since Galaxy 2 went for a tighter game whereas TK goes for a wider game for better and for worse.
It's not about the structure of the game, although that is part of it because they are fundamentally the same. It's moreso the overarching direction. Both have the fundamentals of their predecessor and build on it, instead of reinventing the wheel.

Eh, Galaxy 2 also has the comet medals and Green Stars that also extend the game after the fact. I wouldn't say it's 100% a tighter game, it is and isn't at the same time.

Eh, Galaxy 2 also has the comet medals and Green Stars that also extend the game after the fact. I wouldn't say it's 100% a tighter game, it is and isn't at the same time.
I was more talking to the levels / designs themselves. There are proportionally very few wide levels in Galaxy 2 in comparison to the first Galaxy. Comets in general were in the original and Green Stars are a post game bonus though I agree I could see Green Stars compared to the Depths in terms of adding more to just to have more.

I was more talking to the levels / designs themselves. There are proportionally very few wide levels in Galaxy 2 in comparison to the first Galaxy. Comets in general were in the original and Green Stars are a post game bonus though I agree I could see Green Stars compared to the Depths in terms of adding more to just to have more.
Comet medals were not in Galaxy 1. Prankster Comets were, but my main thing was comet medals and Green Stars which added more general stuff to Galaxy 2, kinda like how Tears of the Kingdom added more stuff to Breath of the Wild. That being said, Tears of the Kingdom also kind of streamlines stuff from Breath of the Wild like overall movement to traverse the world faster than in Breath of the Wild.

I wish Urbosa got the same treatment as Mipha in TotK lol.

The Zoras idolize her, just got a side quest about her, she has a whole park built for her lol

The final area was incredible. The geometry of that place, it didn't feel like it was designed for the benefit of players at all. Just getting through it felt like an exploit.
Which doesn't even go into the atmospherics of it. The blood-red gloom spattered everywhere, the weird angles of all the walls and ceilings, the last vestiges of architecture crumbling to nothing, the music. I thought the battle theme down there was scary... And then I got to Gloom's Lair and the choir started up. The whole thing was like a descent into Hell. So unexpected and so well done.

The final area was incredible. The geometry of that place, it didn't feel like it was designed for the benefit of players at all. Just getting through it felt like an exploit.
Which doesn't even go into the atmospherics of it. The blood-red gloom spattered everywhere, the weird angles of all the walls and ceilings, the last vestiges of architecture crumbling to nothing, the music. I thought the battle theme down there was scary... And then I got to Gloom's Lair and the choir started up. The whole thing was like a descent into Hell. So unexpected and so well done.
Hey nicely put. I couldn’t agree more. The geometry was bizarre and unforgiving and the very nature of it being so obscure made the descent feel all the more profound. They really nailed it.

I feel very glad that I played this game when I did, because I think Dragon Zelda is going to become a very well known spoiler as time goes on for newer people playing the game.

I just realized I haven't actually given my thoughts on the game overall just yet. Breath of the Wild was the game that got me back into console gaming hype ever since the beginning of 8th gen just straight-up sucked across all three consoles at the time until 2017, maybe 2016 if you're being generous. Even though I was playing it on the Wii U GamePad screen (because I didn't get to own a Switch until Christmas 2017), it was still a magical game, yadda yadda yadda you know how it is.

And yet despite that, I don't think I could place Breath of the Wild beyond my top 30. It's a great game, no doubt about it, but I simply feel stronger for other games higher on my list and that's even after 3-4 separate fresh playthroughs. It doesn't help that I have a natural aversion to open world games in general. The only open world games I absolutely fell in love with is Xenoblade Chronicles X, Breath of the Wild... and Tears of the Kingdom. So open world games have to fight in order to get my good graces.

Tears of the Kingdom drastically overhauls and upgrades so much in terms of gameplay systems, the content you actually do, and a much better and cooler story (albeit the post-dungeon cutscenes with the Sages talking about the Imprisoning War are all bad and repetitive after the first time you see one). It is such a monumental leap forward, it's honestly insane. Tears of the Kingdom is already at the very least in my top 15 with heavy contention in breaking into my top 10, and this is after only ONE playthrough. For me, I measure games based on how good a second playthrough is, and while Breath of the Wild also passes that test, Tears of the Kingdom is gonna surpass it on that regard.

The finale is also just straight up kino shit. It ends so well, I don't envy the devs on how they ever top this game.

I feel very glad that I played this game when I did, because I think Dragon Zelda is going to become a very well known spoiler as time goes on for newer people playing the game.
I wonder if they will make that her (and Ganondorf’s) Final Smash in the next Smash.

So the Ancient Hero Aspect is pretty interesting. I wonder if it’s hinting at a future game or DLC. Would be cool if they’d explore breaking away from Link since it seems to imply the hero is not always him.

So the Ancient Hero Aspect is pretty interesting. I wonder if it’s hinting at a future game or DLC. Would be cool if they’d explore breaking away from Link since it seems to imply the hero is not always him.
It is Link but another race looks like.
But would be fun if Link or the hero spirit didn't end up being hylian every time.
If you look closely it has Oot Link's evoking eyes.

I think the comparison is that the dev team started out with the foundation of Galaxy/ BOTW and could spend all of their time and budget just filling up the game with all their ideas and creativity.

And that's where the comparison ends.

I just completed the main story and got to the credits.

What a great game. There were a couple moments in the final boss sequence that made me go "oh shit." In Ganondorf's first phase, he got a perfect dodge and the game slowed down. I seriously thought he was about to flurry rush me, but luckily he just backs off every time that happens.

Then, the second phase intro. It was so cool that his health bar just kept going to the right. It isn't aesthetically pleasing, but it really highlights how this is the toughest boss you're going to face. I loved it.

Speaking of that second phase, I kind of struggled to land hits after his health got low. Every time I did a perfect dodge, I would go for a rush, but then he did a perfect dodge on that. It took me too long to figure out that I needed to stop going for the rush, haha.

The final phase was also great, and thankfully much less difficult. Overall, that was one of the best final boss sequences I've ever played. I know a lot of people go for hundreds of hours with these games, but I'm completely satisfied with the 80 hours I stretched out over the past month. There's always more for me to do if I feel the need to, but there are other games I want to play that come out in the next few weeks.

The last thing I'll say is that I'm glad to be a part of another major Zelda release. Everything is going well, but there's no doubt that my life is a lot different now than it was when BOTW launched in 2017. There will probably be even more changes before the next Zelda comes out. Still, as long as I'm around, I will keep coming back when Nintendo releases a new one. The Zelda franchise is just has that effect on me.

"Zelda, turning into a dragon is a huge commitment where you sacrifice your body and soul without being able to ever turn back."

EWDx_n3XQAUYBXP.jpg

I have an unresolved minor NPC question I'm curious if anyone can answer. In Lookout Landing's emergency shelter you can find someone who complains the chef left for Hyrule Castle. I found the chef in the kitchen and even made the meal he wanted, but I can't get him to go home. Is it possible to bring the chef back to Lookout Landing? I still have other quests there I could do which may be the hold up, but I'm less invested in those lol.

I agree with the general complaint that the memories would’ve benefitted even more than BotW’s from being forced to be in order

But I really do think that they got way more out of the memory structure with TOTK. The way the end result of the memories loops back into a full circle moment with the present day story is just way, way better than how BotW did it. It just feels way more relevant to what Link is doing in the present, thanks to present day Zelda being there, while doubling as background lore at the same time

Honestly the entire setup of how you could go about getting the master sword just works. Even just stumbling upon it, with no knowledge of why or how it’s there, is still an extremely gorgeous and epic sequence. While the added context just brings so much of the game’s story together all at that pivotal moment. It’s an instant all-time gaming moment, right up there with the sheik Zelda reveal imo.

Back
Top Bottom