• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy to think they've had most of the base map of Hyrule designed since 2014, going off that Game Awards demo.

7CFulDASdm1y2wvGA0tbg9ozIBlpUopag9I4yUwKAy0.jpg

Imagine in that 7-8 year time period, how many ideas they would have cooked up that didn't make it into the first game.

For completeness' sake here's a comparison of that map and the final one.

951wot3o70n01.jpg

One of the differences is how they swap places for korok forest and kakariko village.

It's such a good feeling that we're practically guaranteed to get either A) a meaty blowout trailer, or B) the announcement of a TotK-specific Direct in the next General Direct, which is also most likely within the next 3-ish weeks.

Since we were talking beta Hyrule, some beta shrine+ dungeon screenshots / concept art. Very gold.

Sparks the imagination for TotK shrine replacements.

beta.png

zelda-dev-18.jpg

zelda-dev-23.jpg

zelda-dev-17.jpg

The last one translated by Creating a Champion - "Ancient writing appears in the final room of a dungeon (or notes from other adventurers)".

Also for fun, beta screenshot with a different UI.
b6btcec9uob71.jpg

Found something interesting with the ZOLED:

image.png
image.png
image.png

You could take it both ways, it being from existing artwork means someone could have faked it but also could make it seem more legitimate. However, note that the pattern used is actually rotated 180 degrees.

This pattern apparently came from an email around September 23 last year:

Found something interesting with the ZOLED:

image.png
image.png
image.png

You could take it both ways, it being from existing artwork means someone could have faked it but also could make it seem more legitimate. However, note that the pattern used is actually rotated 180 degrees.

This pattern apparently came from an email around September 23 last year:

More findings:

image.png
image.png
image.png

This is kind of weird and fascinating at the same time. I wish I had something more to offer here. It feels like a well planted tease by the Zelda team that may lead to something that may not have been figured out yet. I don't know. Way beyond my scope of understanding here so unfortunately I don't have much to offer here other then to say thanks for sharing and hopefully we get the see more of the game soon lol.

This is kind of weird and fascinating at the same time. I wish I had something more to offer here. It feels like a well planted tease by the Zelda team that may lead to something that may not have been figured out yet. I don't know. Way beyond my scope of understanding here so unfortunately I don't have much to offer here other then to say thanks for sharing and hopefully we get the see more of the game soon lol.
To me, the most simple explanation is that it's some texture that they use for the game specifically for these blocks. You see this style of pattern used elsewhere in the 2021 trailer but it's not the exact same. I remember when there were theories about them being some kind of language lol
Whoever designed the ZOLED was probably just given a high resolution batch of images and some guidance on what the Zelda team wanted things to look like, and then they kinda put it all together.

But tbh now that I discovered this it is definitely far less likely that the leak is real. The left Joycon design was the most and least believable part - it looks ugly and a little poorly done but it wasn't from a previously existing image. Now we know it is from a previously existing image, so now its just ugly and could be a poor adobe illustrator creation printed onto a joy-con shell.

Now the only unique art that remains is the emblem on each joycon and the new symbol on the back of the right joycon... which to me aren't as convincing as one is pretty simple and the other isn't clear

But tbh now that I discovered this it is definitely far less likely that the leak is real. The left Joycon design was the most and least believable part - it looks ugly and a little poorly done but it wasn't from a previously existing image. Now we know it is from a previously existing image, so now its just ugly and could be a poor adobe illustrator creation printed onto a joy-con shell.
This has always been my biggest hurdle to accepting that it is real, the left control stick looks like it is warped or even melted. It’s under plastic, but you can tell it doesn’t look right. The only thing in my mind that works is that this was an early production model that didn’t make the cut, and the overall aesthetic of the design isn’t for me. I know I am in the minority and a lot of people are pretty hyped for this, so that’s all I will say about it.

I hope they do interviews again for TotK like the one below for BOTW

This 2nd one has some interesting stuff about the Zelda series in general

They would have to fly to US but I think it will happen. Aonuma and Miyamoto were in US already because of Switch Presentation in 2017. Could see Aonuma, Fujibayashi do that this year.

Dawn of the Final 110 Days - Not a Lot Of Time (Relative to a 3D Zelda Title except Majora's Mask Which is The Title This Post is Referencing So It's Now Becoming Ironic) Remains

Kinda crazy that, even though TotK is a direct sequel using the same map as a base on the same engine, we've been waiting longer for this game than people have been waiting for Ocarina of Time after Link's Awakening's release on GameBoy.

Kinda crazy that, even though TotK is a direct sequel using the same map as a base on the same engine, we've been waiting longer for this game than people have been waiting for Ocarina of Time after Link's Awakening's release on GameBoy.
Looking at the speed of big releases back in the '90s and early 00's the current games industry looks utterly glacial. For Nintendo this might not be a problem per se, as they like their evergreens*, but I often wonder what benefits it'd bring to it's cultural impact if series like Zelda had more frequent releases...

*EDIT: I say this, but Ocarina and Twilight Princess were only 8 years apart and we had so many great Zelda games between those...

Looking at the speed of big releases back in the '90s and early 00's the current games industry looks utterly glacial. For Nintendo this might not be a problem per se, as they like their evergreens, but I often wonder what benefits it'd bring to it's cultural impact if series like Zelda had more frequent releases...

Well Zelda release did become more frequent thanks to re-releases and spin-offs. We had to wait longer between BotW and TotK than we did with L'sA and OoT but at least in between BotW and TotK we got Skyward Sword HD, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and stuff like Cadence of Hyrule, even.

Well Zelda release did become more frequent thanks to re-releases and spin-offs. We had to wait longer between BotW and TotK than we did with L'sA and OoT but at least in between BotW and TotK we got Skyward Sword HD, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and stuff like Cadence of Hyrule, even.
That's true, Nintendo's attempts to do yearly Zelda-related releases are commendable. I'd never played SS or LA by the by, so both were new to me (SS was surprisingly amazing, and LA was super charming with great dungeons but one archaic Nintendo Help Line-Ass overworld =P) .

However, BotW has become the Zelda game and none of these releases were remotely similar (despite AoC having superficial similarities). So I'm kinda wondering what that, along with the time gap, will do to Tears' sales potential. it's probably fine though

That's true, Nintendo's attempts to do yearly Zelda-related releases are commendable. I'd never played SS or LA by the by, so both were new to me (SS was surprisingly amazing, and LA was super charming with great dungeons but one archaic Nintendo Help Line-Ass overworld =P) .

However, BotW has become the Zelda game and none of these releases were remotely similar (despite AoC having superficial similarities). So I'm kinda wondering what that, along with the time gap, will do to Tears' sales potential. it's probably fine though
That’s an interesting point I hadn’t thought about with the longer time gap between BotW and TotK possibly effecting sales potential. It could be a nothing burger, but it does make sense. It could be a case where TotK ends up being the better game, but doesn’t resonate or simply appeal to as well with the average joe player, thus effecting sales given how everything was new and shiny when the switch first launched.
”Hey Nintendo, some damn Marketing for this game might be in your best interest!”
Oh, and I’m glad to see some love for SS, I went into that game with zero expectations because of all the negativity surrounding it, and had a great time with that game too.

That’s an interesting point I hadn’t thought about with the longer time gap between BotW and TotK possibly effecting sales potential. It could be a nothing burger, but it does make sense. It could be a case where TotK ends up being the better game, but doesn’t resonate or simply appeal to as well with the average joe player, thus effecting sales given how everything was new and shiny when the switch first launched.
”Hey Nintendo, some damn Marketing for this game might be in your best interest!”
Oh, and I’m glad to see some love for SS, I went into that game with zero expectations because of all the negativity surrounding it, and had a great time with that game too.
I think totk being better than BotW but selling less is practically guaranteed. Just as a matter of circumstance.

Speaking of time gaps,
I wonder why they presumably decided to set the game not too long after Breath of the Wild.
I mean, there is a very obvious answer (they don't want to age up their now iconic principal cast), but there's so much low hanging fruit that they could pluck just by setting the game fifteen or so years after the first one. A Link in his thirties would be fascinating, and an older Link is indeed something they considered for Breath of the Wild.
You could have much more dramatically expanded towns and a rebuilt castle town. The changes in the population would retroactive make Breath of the Wild's NPCs more interesting (ie, children will have grown up, characters would have died, etc).

I think totk being better than BotW but selling less is practically guaranteed. Just as a matter of circumstance.
yup, been saying this too. botw was a lightning in a bottle meme game zeitgeist whirlwind console flagship trailblazer and evergreen hit. totk could be several times the better game but won't move as many units simply due to those circumstances being impossible to replicate.

yup, been saying this too. botw was a lightning in a bottle meme game zeitgeist whirlwind console flagship trailblazer and evergreen hit. totk could be several times the better game but won't move as many units simply due to those circumstances being impossible to replicate.
I expect this too. I'm also expecting a huge launch but smaller legs if it's not launching with a upgraded Switch.

This made me wonder how many copies the other entries (at least the most popular like Oot and TP) would sell in the same circumstance of BOTW release.
Given the multipler a lot of franchises received this gen I believe they could manage 18~20 millions. The other 10 millions I think it's more about the game itself and how it ressonates with more people when compared to other Zelda games than Switch outstanding software sales.

Last edited:
I need this.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the Shrines. And I think it was a pretty good design for them. But I would have loved for there to be a color pallete based on each of the TLOZ dungeons.

And I thought that the High Tech, and Nature look of the Trial of the Sword looked good. This just looks so much more inspired.

Playing through Skyward Sword again, I can't help but get behind the speculation that you are sending portions of Breath of the Wild Hyrule back to the sky to unveil and potentially seal/erase the malice underneath.

Underground is similar to spirit tracks/phantom hourglass. A massive dungeon you continuously return to make more progress after completing certain events on the surface/in the sky.

As far as actually creating skyloft, I don't know. But I think this progression style could provide for a really cool gameplay loop, phasing in and out of the underground, as shown to be a gameplay mechanic with the sky islands in one of the recent trailers.

As you probably all know, there is a similar mechanic in Skyward sword, digging underneath and doing puzzles to move gates in the above ground. You can even hold a button to see above ground. But you are limited to linear paths, and can only enter and exit at certain points. I think ToTK expands on that to make a complete seempess transition wherever you are underground (with some limitations of course), and allows you to even enter/discover new areas on the overworld of BoTW Hyrule.

Side-note. I first I was thinking you might be switching back and forth between Zelda underground and Link on the surface. Goddess hylia was afterall responsible for sending the land to the sky. But, with the above mechanic already shown, I feel that Zelda will be either trapped below the surface, and/or able to help in some function similar to Spirit Tracks.

100% speculation of course. I just wanted to write it down somewhere before we get the reveal. Seems like a pretty safe and predictable prediction, so I am probably completely off-base. And I am sure it has been talked about many times before, so apologizes if it doesn't add anything to the current discussion.

In little over 2 weeks we are seeing this game. And it won't be another 90 second teaser.
Makes the most sense both logically and historically to be on the 8th or 9th as far as a direct and something Zelda related. They could give us the launch trailer finally, or tell us to please look forward to a dedicated Zelda direct coming next month type thing. I’m with you, I like the confidence in your statement!

Makes the most sense both logically and historically to be on the 8th or 9th as far as a direct and something Zelda related. They could give us the launch trailer finally, or tell us to please look forward to a dedicated Zelda direct coming next month type thing. I’m with you, I like the confidence in your statement!
I would even go that far and say that after the Direct pre-orders on the eShop are going to be live. Not pre-loads but pre-orders. It happened with Splatoon 3 - 5 months before release so around 3 months for TotK should be fine. This will give us a first rough estimate of game file size too.

I don't think they're showing TotK in an upcoming February Direct, at least not any substantial new footage. They'll have Aonuma on, to reiterate some of the information we already know, tease something new and different about the game (maybe with a few seconds of new footage), and then announce a dedicated Zelda Direct in March.

I think they'll have the blowout trailer in the February direct, which is about three months before release. This will mark the start of the real pre-release marketing cycle. I do think they'll show off substantially less than BotW overall though.

I don't think there will be a dedicated direct for this game
Yeah, I don't really know where this narrative came from. What would it be about? Oh, when you go here you will see this, also there is this side of a map..., Link has these items, and you can do this and this? We are going to have like 2 Treehouse or developer gameplays at best.

Yeah, I don't really know where this narrative came from. What would it be about? Oh, when you go here you will see this, also there is this side of a map..., Link has these items, and you can do this and this? We are going to have like 2 Treehouse or developer gameplays at best.

We could get a hour of Miyamoto showing off the advanced horse AI and how fun tree climbing is. I wouldn't mind.

Forgot about this quote from Zelda's diary:
"I had a dream last night... in a place consumed by darkness, a lone woman gazed at me, haloed by blinding light. I sensed she was... not of this word. I don't know if she was a fairy or a goddess, but she was beautiful. Her lips spoke urgently, but her voice did not reach me. Would I have heard her if my power was awoken? Or was my dream simply a manifestation of my fears? I am sure I will know the answer soon, whether I wish to or not..."
Wonder if they'll retcon this to be:

Zonai-Figure-001.png

I was wondering what that cloud thing top left to the hyrule castle on the artwork could be? With how prominently it is featured it feels like that it will be a important area in the game. Are there any speculations about it?
bg_layer1.jpg

This is one of the main things I want, more land area to explore especially beyond the borders of Hyrule, especially to the north and west, as while the sky is cool, I really want to see whats beyond Hyrule. However I doubt they would do it this way. They're not gonna expand the land in a way that contradicts the way it looked in BOTW, so I wouldn't exactly expect them to plop giant islands that weren't there in the sea to the east, nor would I expect them to change how the northern mountains look, at least not that much.

Also the way this labeled is making me angry. I think they used the tower names instead of the Providence names.

This is one of the main things I want, more land area to explore especially beyond the borders of Hyrule, especially to the north and west, as while the sky is cool, I really want to see whats beyond Hyrule. However I doubt they would do it this way. They're not gonna expand the land in a way that contradicts the way it looked in BOTW, so I wouldn't exactly expect them to plop giant islands that weren't there in the sea to the east, nor would I expect them to change how the northern mountains look, at least not that much.

Also the way this labeled is making me angry. I think they used the tower names instead of the Providence names.
There wasn't sky islands in BOTW either. Nintendo could always make up an excuse for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom