• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the team continued with "challenging established conventions for the series" and what Bill Trinen said about the title reveal being, well, revealing, I'd wager Zelda actually dies when falling in the chasm from the trailer. Thus the kingdom mourning their beloved princess and the tears being shed by something having some magical/powerful upside against evil. It probably has already been speculated though.

Edit: well a quick search garnered many results so nothing new with my take today.
That would be wild
and would piss off a lot of people who have wanted Zelda to have a more prominent role in the games

I may introduce a series of what I call "What If" moments where I do a quick writeup at random on something that I see as a possible awesome addition in Tears of the Kingdom. That is if people are interested. I'll give the first one right now:

What if... while you are in the sky you can have all sorts of Avatar looking aerial combat situations with a bow an arrow and other weapons, jump off a cliff, call a dragon or bird, quickly have it pick you up like the horse or perhaps be able to tackle a dragon or bird in the wild and tame it as you would a horse? Imagine being in free fall, slinging arrows while slowing down time and then whistling, a bird or dragon like creature swoops in to pick you up and you fly off onto your quest or continue the aerial battle until victorious. A cinematic aerial combat variations that you entirely play out in real-time! Imagine the possibilities...

All I'm going to say is that Link has the power to rewind falling objects.
couple of pages ago we had the discussion about what that power means and actually is in that it is not so much as "rewind time on an object" but "reverse momentum" (iirc this was how it was described in the patent). imo we can't really tell with 100% certainty if it's one or the other just going off of the footage and maybe they described it that way for the patent only but to me it does look like those "footprints" the objects leave on their path along the chain that is visualizing the "chain of events" I guess indicates that the reversal would retrace the objects exact positions in time. I don't know if you need to have a firmer understanding of what "reversing momentum" means in terms of physics but to my empty Sunday brain it would not make the objects necessarily go back the exact way they came.

EDIT: adding a thought here - looking at the first gif a couple more times makes me think the whole point of this ability in combat and puzzle scenarios will be to have objects retrace their exact movement route (aka go back in their time), otherwise it would just be a less dynamic way of using stasis and bashing the object with your weapon to make it go the other way.
/EDIT

what am I trying to say? good question, I don't remember. maybe nothing lol. just really wanted to mention that we had previously talked about the different ways to understand and read this ability with the information we currently have (footage + patents).

for reference here is our only footage of the ability so far in motion, slowed down 50%
pJVilCC.gif

aZWQkQz.gif

Last edited:
By performing a predetermined operation, the user can cause at least one of the movable objects OBJm that have moved immediately before (up to a predetermined period of time before (e.g., 20 seconds before)) to move backward (in a time-reversed fashion) in the path in which the movable object has moved, i.e., to perform return movement.
It is a rewind mechanic but based on movement. i.e. you presumably can't use this on an ancient ruin to reverse its age and make it brand new, but you can send up a spiked ball or to where it was x seconds ago.

Analogous to stasis 'freezing an object in time' i.e. locking it into one of its movement positions.

Last edited:
One final prediction I will make is that one of the arms abilities will essentially be telekinesis/jedi force powers as a replacement for magnesis. So instead of only picking up metallic object you'll be able to pick up any object affected by physics including enemies. You'll be limited either by size/weight of the object and the green vials. The reason I'm relatively confident about this is because magnesis was the most direct way of interacting with the physics engine so its likely it'll be expanded upon in TotK.

One final prediction I will make is that one of the arms abilities will essentially be telekinesis/jedi force powers as a replacement for magnesis. So instead of only picking up metallic object you'll be able to pick up any object affected by physics including enemies. You'll be limited either by size/weight of the object and the green vials. The reason I'm relatively confident about this is because magnesis was the most direct way of interacting with the physics engine so its likely it'll be expanded upon in TotK.
I thought about this a few days ago. It would be amazing and I think is very likely.

It is a rewind mechanic but based on movement. i.e. you presumably can't use this on an ancient ruin to reverse its age and make it brand new, but you can send up a spiked ball or to where it was x seconds ago.

Analogous to stasis 'freezing an object in time' i.e. locking it into one of its movement positions.
right, forgot about that kinda crucial part lol

I’m still inclined to believe that this game will be about trying to figure out how to get each of the sky islands and the Devs will provide many different ways in which a player can go about doing this so each player will have their own unique experience, much like in BotW. It will be a giant puzzle, and probably pretty difficult to travers horizontally across from island to island so sadly I think any kind of flying mount will not be available until late in the game at best, or DLC.

We have seen two abilities so far with his new arm, reversing object momentum and phasing through ceilings. In BotW we had 4 main abilities so I think we can assume we will get at least 4. We still don’t know how they are going to bring back bombs or how we will be able attain them. At first I was thinking of the original concept art with links arm turning into a cannon looking thing and being able to shoot them, but I think this would somewhat negate his ability or need to use bomb arrows as it would serve essentially as the same function, so not sure what they are going to.

That leaves us with at least one other mystery for a power that his arm will have. For a long time I was inclined to believe that a lot of the original concept art would be utilized which means we would get something like the bomb example I mentioned but also a makeshift grappling hook and a Beattie mechanic. It also shows a giant hammer and who knows what else they would come up with as the possibilities are endless. Sadly I also think the days of getting something like a physical item of a hookshot might be behind us, so having Links arm morph into all of these items would be amazing and would ensure that all players would get the abilities just by upgrading his arm rather than randomly finding an important item in a dungeon or chest.

My theory is that TotK is a prequel to Skyward Sword and that over the course of the game, parts of Hyrule will disconnect from the earth and float up to the sky to become sky islands until they become Skyloft

After seeing the Mario movie Ad in a commercial yesterday during the Chiefs \ Bengals game, does this increase the chance of getting a TotK Ad during the Super Bowl, or are they just two different target audiences? I mean we did see it in 2017 for BotW or do we expect another Mario movie Ad? Also I am kind of getting Deja vu with Monster Hunter popping up and being it’s own thing on one of our potential direct days on Feb 1st, just comparing it to the non E3 we had last year and how each week we got game specific details during June\July.

After seeing the Mario movie Ad in a commercial yesterday during the Chiefs \ Bengals game, does this increase the chance of getting a TotK Ad during the Super Bowl, or are they just two different target audiences? I mean we did see it in 2017 for BotW or do we expect another Mario movie Ad? Also I am kind of getting Deja vu with Monster Hunter popping up and being it’s own thing on one of our potential direct days on Feb 1st, just comparing it to the non E3 we had last year and how each week we got game specific details during June\July.
totk superbowl ad feels like a waste of money to me. this is not how you sell that game to new people. these spots are super short unless you're stupid enough to pay even more gazillions to get like a minute and they're not throwing that much money into the fire.

Definitely not TotK ad. More like Mario Movie ad. The BOTW as Super Bowl was not because of BOTW but because Switch was launching just a month after. They don't need to do that this time.

EDIT: adding a thought here - looking at the first gif a couple more times makes me think the whole point of this ability in combat and puzzle scenarios will be to have objects retrace their exact movement route (aka go back in their time), otherwise it would just be a less dynamic way of using stasis and bashing the object with your weapon to make it go the other way.
/EDIT
Yeah that's what the patent describes, it's attempting to retrace its route and position to keyframes by applying the necessary forces to get there, but whether or not it succeeds depends on what's in its way. The real keyframes it uses will be closer together than the visualised ones, that's just for show.

I've speculated that the greyscale bubble might represent a range that Link needs to stay within for the process to stay active, that way you can't just send fallen scenery to the heavens without also riding it.

If the team continued with "challenging established conventions for the series" and what Bill Trinen said about the title reveal being, well, revealing, I'd wager Zelda actually dies when falling in the chasm from the trailer. Thus the kingdom mourning their beloved princess and the tears being shed by something having some magical/powerful upside against evil. It probably has already been speculated though.

Edit: well a quick search garnered many results so nothing new with my take today.

Writing Zelda out from the start for most of the story wouldn't be challenging conventions at all, the series just can't stop doing that, lol. There's simply no chance she dies permenantly so there wouldn't be any real point pretending they did so.

Remember folks, that retailer in France is getting restock with Zelda amiibo on Thursday or Friday, so other retailers should get restocks over the coming weeks too.

Writing Zelda out from the start for most of the story wouldn't be challenging conventions at all, the series just can't stop doing that, lol. There's simply no chance she dies permenantly so there wouldn't be any real point pretending they did so.

Nevertheless, that could be the scenario of the game, assuming Link is taken out of action for a while anyway.
Unlike the last game where few people are old enough to remember Link & Zelda, the new one could be a world where they went missing on an expedition and are presumed dead, until Link finally wakes up again.
Objective being to find and revive Zelda who fell down a chasm below an ancient dungeon.

Hype is intensifying. I really want them to go crazy with weapon types and also enemy designs and variety. I hope they keep the system of breakable weapons but there should also be fun breakable items like the hookshot or boomerang (I know the boomerang in botw was fun but it wasn't very practival to use).

kinda crazy how fast i was able to just calling it "tears od the kingdom" and no longer just calling it "breath of the wild 2"

It's been so long since the last real gameplay (I don't count the release date teaser) and just thinking that we might get the first trailer of the game in a week with all the answers I've been craving for years (map, villages, story, gameplay), I just can't wait anymore. The wait until the Direct is going to be so hard, and not even taling about the wait between the announcement and the Direct, lmao.

Last edited:
any trailer predictions?
we will have many answers that lead to even more questions and some mild outrage (because there's always some mild outrage). lol

we'll definitely know "what" the sky islands roughly are, from a basic plot premise pov.

Very funny saying "100 days to go" and still not giving a trailer, or really revealing much about the game at all.

Hopefully something is coming soon.

It's been so long since the last real gameplay (I don't count the release date teaser) and just thinking that we might get the first trailer of the game in a week with all the answers I've been craving for years (map, villages, story, gameplay), I just can't wait anymore. The wait until the Direct is going to be so hard, and not even taling about the wait between the announcement and the Direct, lmao.
this one I don't get though. how can you not count the date trailer which literally revealed a brand new aspect of gameplay (traveling on broken off pieces from the islands) and showed a bunch of new things that sent people spiraling with speculation (the vials, the mural, the skybird/markings)

Very funny saying "100 days to go" and still not giving a trailer, or really revealing much about the game at all.

Hopefully something is coming soon.
I mean, obviously, though? We know for a fact of simple inevitability that they will show off more of the game soon and we know this without any rumor or speculation. The only thing we don't have is an exact date fore when we will learn more but we know it's within the next, idk, six-ish weeks roughly. And there's no ifs and buts about this. So you don't need to hope. You can just know and live worry free at least in this part of life :)

If a significant part of the trailer takes place in recognizable or barely changed parts of BotW's Hyrule I am going to have a total meltdown. Just warning you.

50% or more of this game can't take place in the same play space as the first one. In a game where exploration and the thrill of the new is 90% of the pleasure, it just... it just can't. "Oh, this building is now destroyed, and that shrine is now gone etc etc" does NOT scratch that itch.

Gotta keep the faith. Most of this game will take place in the sky, or elsewhere. I remember doubting there would be towns in BotW, not making that same mistake again with the map here. It WILL be mostly new. It's been 6 years. It has to be.

Just getting nervous with a week to go until we probably find out...

The 'no towns' concern during BotW pre-release cycle made little sense to me when Aonuma straight up said during an interview that summer "we're not showing the villages right now for spoiler reasons".

I hope we see more pre-order/order pages like this in the coming weeks. It's from a french retailer.
I wonder if this cool Master Sword render is fanmade, or if it's an official asset in a press kit somewhere. Probably the former.
edition-products-ZeldaTOTK.png

If a significant part of the trailer takes place in recognizable or barely changed parts of BotW's Hyrule I am going to have a total meltdown. Just warning you.

50% or more of this game can't take place in the same play space as the first one. In a game where exploration and the thrill of the new is 90% of the pleasure, it just... it just can't. "Oh, this building is now destroyed, and that shrine is now gone etc etc" does NOT scratch that itch.

Gotta keep the faith. Most of this game will take place in the sky, or elsewhere. I remember doubting there would be towns in BotW, not making that same mistake again with the map here. It WILL be mostly new. It's been 6 years. It has to be.

It will be really hard to determine the context of what we are looking at if they show mostly the same Hyrule which is pretty much what they have already shown us as far as the surface with a few minor added features. I would also be surprised if 50% or more of the original map isn’t exactly the same as far as land features, do I want this? No, I’m in the same boat as you and everyone else, the more new terrain to explore the better but Im keeping my expectations much lower.

The emphasis I feel is not going to be solely or mostly on exploration but on the new gameplay mechanics which will make traveling around Hyrule feel different but look mostly the same. We already know we will have a much different perspective looking down at Hyrule most of the time and we could still get caves, under water and something like a Spirit world with the possibility of some expansion on the outer edges of the map. So the original surface will be more of means to drop down into from the sky or pop up from under neath the ground type thing and see what’s new there, rather this big expansive horizontal gameplay that BotW was IMO.

If Link really does end up receiving an entirely new arsenal of gameplay-altering abilities, wouldn’t you agree that there is some merit in revisiting old areas but being able to view and interact with them in entirely new ways, maybe under completely different story/mission contexts? After all, this is pretty much how Metroidvanias work.

If Link really does end up receiving an entirely new arsenal of gameplay-altering abilities, wouldn’t you agree that there is some merit in revisiting old areas but being able to view and interact with them in entirely new ways, maybe under completely different story/mission contexts? After all, this is pretty much how Metroidvanias work.
No, that's almost a perfect description of what I don't want, lol.

The number 1 priority is exploring new locations. If the game doesn't deliver that, it will be a massive disappointment.

I'm one of those people who thinks the appeal of Link Between Worlds (which played fabulously) was ruined by taking place in a modified LttP map. I'm also the guy who disliked LttP in the first place because I found exploring the Dark World boring as it wasn't different enough. And speaking of Metroidvanias, same with Metroid Prime 2. In fact, I hate "dark worlds" in pretty much all games. The fun in Metroidvanias is that you go back to an old location knowing you're about to access a new one with your new tool - not the backtracking itself.

So nah, just not on board with that.

The 'no towns' concern during BotW pre-release cycle made little sense to me when Aonuma straight up said during an interview that summer "we're not showing the villages right now for spoiler reasons".

I wonder if this cool Master Sword render is fanmade, or if it's an official asset in a press kit somewhere. Probably the former.
Seems like expert fan-made or mediocore Nintendo render, I'd say the former too.

It's fan-made, I found the original, It's a 3D printer file for the corrupted Master Sword.

The number 1 priority is exploring new locations. If the game doesn't deliver that, it will be a massive disappointment.

I'm one of those people who thinks the appeal of Link Between Worlds (which played fabulously) was ruined by taking place in a modified LttP map. I'm also the guy who disliked LttP in the first place because I found exploring the Dark World boring as it wasn't different enough. And speaking of Metroidvanias, same with Metroid Prime 2. In fact, I hate "dark worlds" in pretty much all games. The fun in Metroidvanias is that you go back to an old location knowing you're about to access a new one with your new tool - not the backtracking itself.

Fair enough.

For what it’s worth, I’m with you in that exploration was my favorite part of BOTW and that reusing a lot of the world may dampen that enjoyment somewhat. That said, I’m trying to keep an open mind regarding this game - I trust the Zelda team to come up with something enjoyable regardless.

In metroidvanias you are coming back to old areasto find new areas with your new abilities... In the same game. You dont go to old places in sequels...

Yeah. I love metroidvanias, but thats not what a metroidvania is.
Heck. Thats what they did in the DLC, and the overworld reexploration part was the weakest aspect of the story DLC.
If you just want to reuse the map, sure, make dlc, but a sequel needs to have more. Expand the map, in all directions: caves, dessert, sky, underwater, see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom