• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s possible that the vials are a sort of "global" cooldown system for the arm powers. The more vials you get, the more powers you can use before recharging etc. Or maybe it’s a resource that only recharges partially.

We had already discussed how the Shiekah eye symbol has a teardrop.

But I had straight up forgotten the Life in the Ruins trailer shows that tear drop falling to the surface and forming the land (0:04). Damn.

(Also weird to hear this music knowing it's Daruk's theme lol)

That's okay, most people straight up forget the Life in the Ruins trailer exists entirely

About the vials:

In the concept art, vials were shown to be used to power up the slate, so is it too convenient to assume that they will power up arm powers? One vial per power.

That would suggest two things, first that the items won’t be given to you all at once, you have to hunt them down. Secondly, that their power will be limited, have magic power be a part of enemy drops. In short, making the use of the powers more restrictive.

Not sure if I’m into that, but I’m not sure about much else, besides them maybe be the tears collected in dungeons, and be some sort of magic abilities independent of the arm.

The vials are a real head-scratcher for me.
I’m in the exact same place as you are and think Link might be limited in his abilities and or that they might represent his current abilities. The thing I keep getting stuck on with the vials is that Link typically only prominently displays things like his Sword and Shield that he is using at that time. Item collection pieces, accomplishments, goals to achieve etc are stored to reference in the menu.
We did have the Sheikah Slate in the same spot which was used more for as our map, camera and a tool we used to access shrines so it made sense not to have it stored away but on Links hip.
Right now I’m at, that they will act like keys to unlock the Tori gates on the islands for fast travel once Link has visited one of the islands. Also related I’m working on a theory where the luminous stones, which are said to contain the spirit energy of past lives, and are shown quite a bit in the first trailer as the source of the energy And could possibly represent the Tears of past lives that lost their lives to Gannon.
So I would agree it’s a head scratcher, but I love reading other peoples ideas because I think collectively as a group we can come up with a viable theory and we all are at least partially correct or on the right path with what little info we have to go on.

Is it possible that the vials is this game version of splatoons's "ink" where it has many uses. The vial may power your abilities, temporarily charge the master sword and restore your weapons durability and the ways to collect them are by killing monster/special monster,collect them through spots or puzzles reward. If this is the case, it will add a new reward system for the game and a new level of resource management where you are force to choose between using it for abilities or restoring weapon durability.

Gamexplain's video is really good, watching it now. They comb the trailer from head to toe. Never noticed the cable before.

That would technically mean that using the hand powers, which in case they work like the Slate in BotW, being your main "items" were in limited use?

Dunno, that sounds like a real bad decision unlike weapon durabilty where you can find just enough stuff to never be weaponless.

Yeah, I wouldn't be a fan of it personally. Like, I get the resource management aspect, but having Link's powers limited like that would feel strangled after BotW's much more instant approach to items. (all at once, quick cooldown

I'm all for pushing back a bit non-linearity for the sake of story, or having to clear main dungeons before the boss to differentiate it a bit from BotW, just... not in this case.

Gamexplain's video is really good, watching it now. They comb the trailer from head to toe. Never noticed the cable before.

Yeah, I wouldn't be a fan of it personally. Like, I get the resource management aspect, but having Link's powers limited like that would feel strangled after BotW's much more instant approach to items. (all at once, quick cooldown

I'm all for pushing back a bit non-linearity for the sake of story, or having to clear main dungeons before the boss to differentiate it a bit from BotW, just... not in this case.

I think it’s the best one so far, they leave most of the interrupting up to the viewer. You should read the comment by MajoraZ in that video I think it’s the 6th one down from the top, it’s long but very good, I quoted it yesterday, it would be nice to have another take on it.

Can you give a time stamp for the cable? I'm kinda burned out on watching entire analyses =P . (Reserving a spot for Monster Maze though, looks like he's going for the Extreme Production Values again judging by his Twitter.)

Here's how i see it: Between items (arm / slate) and weapons, you can have one being limited in use, as long as the other isn't.

So having weapon durability and just a limited amount of ... dunno ... bombs that is not refreshing via cooldown like in BotW but with an item that eventually has to be found/farmed is really shitty for the playability.

I hope, if the arm works like BotW's slate, that the items/skills it has are only on a short time cooldown.

Possibly unpopular take:
I hope they've got a plan for the DLC. As in, I hope it's a pre-planned thing that they've left hooks for in the base game. And I hope it's substantial.

It will always seem kind of weird to me that they'll spend like five, six years making a game, leave a lot of potential on the table, and just spend another half decade making another one. Milk it a bit, come on!

Possibly unpopular take:
I hope they've got a plan for the DLC. As in, I hope it's a pre-planned thing that they've left hooks for in the base game. And I hope it's substantial.

It will always seem kind of weird to me that they'll spend like five, six years making a game, leave a lot of potential on the table, and just spend another half decade making another one. Milk it a bit, come on!
They'll definitely have DLC. I imagine they'll start making ideas for DLC atleast a few months before the game is launched.

Possibly unpopular take:

Oh def. Botw's DLC was so successful and appreciated i'm sure they will have something post game launch. It was their first DLC and even Nintendo as a company weren't too hot on them at that time. Now with the Splatoon and Xenoblade DLC, i feel like they know what people want. ToTK could get a more substantial story DLC later on and they probably made the game thinking what could be added later on as well instead of just doing some extra at the end of Botw's development because Nintendo probably requested it.

Oh def. Botw's DLC was so successful and appreciated i'm sure they will have something post game launch. It was their first DLC and even Nintendo as a company weren't too hot on them at that time. Now with the Splatoon and Xenoblade DLC, i feel like they know what people want. ToTK could get a more substantial story DLC later on and they probably made the game thinking what could be added later on as well instead of just doing some extra at the end of Botw's development because Nintendo probably requested it.
FYI it wasn't their first DLC. Fire Emblem, MK8 come to mind for example.

26:14
Small green light on a branch hanging off the large temple structure, could possibly be a grapple point if the spirit hand is used as a grappling arm. Just a guess cause the color matches the spirit energy.

As long as it's a good enough side-event and not something that completes the base game's story, I'd be fine with it.

I feel like something good could be a what-if sort of scenario where Link is transported to a dimension where Calamity Ganon regenerated fully as a malice-cyborg Ganondorf on his own at the end of BotW, then he has to fight his way out.

I LOVED the Master Trials and I think its one of the most brilliant things Nintendo ever designed.

I hope we get a similar challenge again. Not the exact same thing. Just something that takes every combat mechanic, system and enemy to its fullest potential.

I LOVED the Master Trials and I think its one of the most brilliant things Nintendo ever designed.

I hope we get a similar challenge again. Not the exact same thing. Just something that takes every combat mechanic, system and enemy to its fullest potential.
I still haven't gone back to the Master Trials after my first attempt but yeah they're just really brilliantly designed

Might be the best combat-focused challenge I've seen in a video game, honestly

This is my favourite thumbnail I've seen yet.

(Nothing I say in jest, I think Zeldatuber thumbnails can be genuinely charming)

I just hope they go all out on bosses this time and especially the final boss. We keep saying they listen to feedback, and it's def true from what they changed in their next games over the years. One of the main criticism from Botw is the final boss being too easy and short. I do believe the final DLC was a semi-response to that which i found actually harder than the game's final boss with more phases... so i think they might go all out this time and give us an epic battle.

Calamity Ganon was still the hardest boss in the base game, and the hardest single encounter outside of some of the higher-variant Lynels IIRC.
Thunderblight may have been hard to hit, but Calamity Ganon hit like a truck.

He was easy if you did all the beasts and a large number of the shrines. But that was the entire point of doing those things.
Zelda is meant to be an accessible series for players of all skill levels and ages. The open structure allows the developers to throw in incredibly difficult challenges outside the main story without roadblocking anyone from rolling credits, and that's how it should be imo.

Calamity Ganon was still the hardest boss in the base game, and the hardest single encounter outside of some of the higher-variant Lynels IIRC.

He was easy if you did all the beasts and a large number of the shrines. But that was the entire point of doing those things.
Zelda is meant to be an accessible series for players of all skill levels and ages. The open structure allows the developers to throw in incredibly difficult challenges outside the main story without roadblocking anyone from rolling credits, and that's how it should be imo.

Hitting hard doesn't mean much if Ganon's attacks were pretty telegraphed. Also, fully upgraded armor made tanking his attacks rather trivial, and that's not getting into all the materials you collected.

That said, I do think BotW making itself "easy to make easy" puts it above the old-fashioned difficulty setting, putting the difficulty control into the game rather than just a menu.

Also, I just really hated Master Mode. It made the early game tedious instead of normal's fairly good balance, while the endgame doesn't feel that different from normal's.

I don't agree... the fans are the ones that are going to complete the shrines and the quests. If you have to skip half of the game to make the final boss a real fight, it's flawed. Someone that has difficulty ending the game could have just went it's way to fully upgrade it's armor sets, make elixir and food. Though this was one of the problems with bosses being too easy... almost unlimited food ressources that you can eat at all times. With a meter or something, bosses would have been way harder. But even with that, it felt disappointing to have only 1.5 phase when the first one is cut in half by the divine beasts and the second part is missing every shot. It was a good boss, but underwhelming for how grand the whole game felt.

I just saw this post in another forum, regarding a patent that was made by Nintendo for sound when instantly teleporting between a short distance. It seems to be either a way to correct the sound so it’s not distorted or use some sort of sound mechanic. I think the obvious application for TotK would be from Tori gate to Tori gate across islands and I had been wondering with so many Tori gates placed on the edge of each island how the player was going to travel through them but this seems like a great way to do it.

”The patent is for a new technique that changes the surrounding sound when you teleport so that the noise isn’t sharp. Images explain it better. https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US374018921&_cid=P21-L87UNL-00631-1

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US374018921&_cid=P21-L87UNL-00631-1The inventor is on the botw team.”

I had two different thoughts that hadn’t been mentioned in that post, if Nintendo was working on this patent around sound distortion and instant teleportation, which in my mind would sound eerily similar to the sound in the first trailer, perhaps that music from the first trailer is just that, the sound distortion made when teleporting. The next thing to come to mind is the Vials again on links hip, everyone’s answer to what they could be including my own seem to obvious or not as special like collecting Tears, a magic meter or a way to power up his abilities. They all could be true, but the Vials seem too important and possibly have many different abilities, and I’m now leaning towards wind and sound. Also I didn’t understand a lot of it so I could be mis-interrupting them but looking at the patent it definitely looks like portals for TotK. This is a completely different patent then the one we got for the vertical phasing through rock mechanic we saw in the 2nd trailer.

Last edited:
I just saw this post in another forum, regarding a patent that was made by Nintendo for sound when instantly teleporting between a short distance. It seems to be either a way to correct the sound so it’s not distorted or use some sort of sound mechanic. I think the obvious application for TotK would be from Tori gate to Tori gate across islands and I had been wondering with so many Tori gates placed on the edge of each island how the player was going to travel through them but this seems like a great way to do it.

”The patent is for a new technique that changes the surrounding sound when you teleport so that the noise isn’t sharp. Images explain it better. https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US374018921&_cid=P21-L87UNL-00631-1

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US374018921&_cid=P21-L87UNL-00631-1The inventor is on the botw team.”

I had two different thoughts that hadn’t been mentioned in that post, if Nintendo was working on this patent around sound distortion and instant teleportation, which in my mind would sound eerily similar to the sound in the first trailer, perhaps that music from the first trailer is just that, the sound distortion made when teleporting. The next thing to come to mind is the Vials again on links hip, everyone’s answer to what they could be including my own seem to obvious or not as special like collecting Tears, a magic meter or a way to power up his abilities. They all could be true, but the Vials seem too important and possibly have many different abilities, and I’m now leaning towards wind and sound. Also I didn’t understand a lot of it so I could be mis-interrupting them but looking at the patent it definitely looks like portals for TotK. This is a completely different patent then the one we got for the vertical phasing through rock mechanic we saw in the 2nd trailer.
The only thing that makes me unsure about it being for the tori gates is how it talks about the warp being instantaneous, like frame-1. Not sure if it’s technically feasible to frame-1 teleport between islands but then again I don’t know anything about tech.
“The first warp point 103 and the second warp point 104 are kinds of movement means in the virtual space. The positions where the first warp point 103 and the second warp point 104 are present are separate from each other by a predetermined distance or longer in the virtual space. When the player object 101 moves to the position of the first warp point 103 and is placed on the first warp point 103, the player object 101 can move to the position of the second warp point 104 substantially instantaneously (e.g., in a time of one frame). Conversely, the player object 101 can also move from the position of the second warp point 104 to the position of the first warp point 103. That is, using warp points enables the player object 101 to move a predetermined distance that the player object 101 cannot move at a normal movement speed, in a predetermined unit time. In the exemplary embodiment, the predetermined distance is such a distance that how the sound is heard sharply changes unless processing described in the exemplary embodiment is applied”

The only thing that makes me unsure about it being for the tori gates is how it talks about the warp being instantaneous, like frame-1. Not sure if it’s technically feasible to frame-1 teleport between islands but then again I don’t know anything about tech.
“The first warp point 103 and the second warp point 104 are kinds of movement means in the virtual space. The positions where the first warp point 103 and the second warp point 104 are present are separate from each other by a predetermined distance or longer in the virtual space. When the player object 101 moves to the position of the first warp point 103 and is placed on the first warp point 103, the player object 101 can move to the position of the second warp point 104 substantially instantaneously (e.g., in a time of one frame). Conversely, the player object 101 can also move from the position of the second warp point 104 to the position of the first warp point 103. That is, using warp points enables the player object 101 to move a predetermined distance that the player object 101 cannot move at a normal movement speed, in a predetermined unit time. In the exemplary embodiment, the predetermined distance is such a distance that how the sound is heard sharply changes unless processing described in the exemplary embodiment is applied”
So if I’m understanding you correctly that means we might be able to place the two separate warp points ourselves? I’m also not understanding why we would need to move that fast, if it wasn’t to be used in way that provided a seemless transition from one point to another. I do see your point, by it not being technically feasible especially on the switch, but perhaps that is the reason for the patent. Nintendo seems to always find a way of taking an old idea and adding a new twist on it that makes it work it better some how.

Not sure if it’s technically feasible to frame-1 teleport between islands but then again I don’t know anything about tech.
If the game knows what Tori shrines are linked together it could start preloading the next island when you're nearing the teleportation point. Personally I think most connected shrines would be close by, so they wouldn't have to load that much besides LOD.

If this teleportation idea holds true though I sure hope for a few special Tori shrines that suddenly teleport you to an underground location, or one on the overworld. (Preferably - and now it might be getting overly ambitious - with the new landscape being visible through the shrine if you get close enough, corny '70s fantasty style 🤤.)

If the patent was dealing with warping long distances then the problem they are solving with (relocating nearby sound sources around the virtual microphone) would be irrelevant

If the patent was dealing with warping long distances then the problem they are solving with (relocating nearby sound sources around the virtual microphone) would be https://i.redd.it/8do6sqmgjfp91.jpg
It seems like it’s only for short distances as seen in figures 4 and 5
8do6sqmgjfp91.jpg

Figures 10 and 11 seem to describe the movement based on relation to sound and direction of sound. Interestingly it allows for up to 10 frames, which then calculates the distance, so it seems like it’s limitation is based around this aspect.
u_er296Aa8D_SWzcXU7vI4EOX1MdRvJj0UtqQx4C-iPrREqifGSPEC4LcSu8l93_sInrc08DedopeX-XUXI8scYo_B_c2SQvvq6xfjNUR8rjKVPpJqANxtGGo_ZSsA_FKNrV9GzYPnrCcg9z3npE-hoaoFekLKCWa50g1yI7E6qwoOCVL9vCrVtKUwBJzKuJ

10bDXdSqnWe-ur_Q7d4wmuPC1wpa1QNoHp8eH26jylfYlYz86y0qlqHg5FKANdjsck-47ENCKmGx7l346CHoctVpJIM4R70kD3cjkFtMNB-4mvtR6eoX-JhiXom0JVXPoMzZxWogwF5t6ir5Rl02Wdfv-sIYamocgswO3bXB9Umxuw_ncfojd-eNzXHiY0Ev

@ZeldaPY
The gist of the patent text is that they want to instantly warp the camera position and direction, but doing the same instant switch to the microphone can be uncomfortable on the ears/brain with sound instantly popping between left/right or loud quiet.
A simple solution is to just interpolate the microphone position & direction from the warp entrance to the new one across ~10 frames, which would normally be fine and give a comfortable result.

But.. what happens if you have, say a waterfall between your two warp points? The result would be you get a brief loud blast of water during those 10 frames, and that is the problem that the patent is solving,
The solution being to interpolate the relative angles and distances of each sound source independently and reposition them accordingly instead of just moving the microphone.
The result would be your waterfall sound would curve around to the left or right depending on which was closer, and never get louder than it was from each warp point.

It's really unlikely, but imagine if the "teleporting" we get in game is actually the Switch Hook from Oracle of Ages. For those who don't know, it's like a Hook Shot, except you swap positions with the object that you latch onto. It could lead to some really fun shenanigans with the BotW physics engine.
ee3bba6d8cbefc10d1f9e6e2a2e3d3904cd1c0f3_hq.jpg

Thats one of the aspects i WOULD like them to tke from JRPGs:
have some chunky sideuests with some superbosses at the end. I know, people will be pissed that the last boss is to easy...
but at the same time, tweak his skills by how many of those superbosses you killed. They already skill enemy stats in the first game.
Tweak some timing, have a hard to dodge ultimate attack that only gets used after superbosses, damage output, health.
Then the superbosseswould not be a hinderance for more causal gamers to finish the game / main story,
and it would have challenge for more experienced players and still not trivialize the final encounter.

Hitting hard doesn't mean much if Ganon's attacks were pretty telegraphed. Also, fully upgraded armor made tanking his attacks rather trivial, and that's not getting into all the materials you collected.

That said, I do think BotW making itself "easy to make easy" puts it above the old-fashioned difficulty setting, putting the difficulty control into the game rather than just a menu.

Also, I just really hated Master Mode. It made the early game tedious instead of normal's fairly good balance, while the endgame doesn't feel that different from normal's.
Yeah... i liked all of those things, but again, as some mentioned, it breaks the game for the people that want a challenge but also want to experience the game in its fullest. otherwise the logic is: you want a challenge to? no chance, just explore 4 regions and after that go to the castle.
As mentioned above, it should stay that way, but also give the player some option to make it hard again, like some specific progression triggers that are outside of the main path, but doesnt need the player to restrict themselves. have some cool special pieces of equipment hidden behind a sidequest thats pretty hard, and have the sidequest gate the dificulty. if you manage that side quest, it makes the final boss hard. (but dont trivialize it by giving away Ultima gear in that quest, just some neat unique stuff, not the literal strongest). Or take the ingame stats as a gage how good a player is: lost health, deaths over time, parrie count,... you can have a fairly good grasp how skilled a player is by that and adapt the bott behavior with that. Heck, this reminds me of RE4, where it would reduce the dificulty in the background without the player knowing.
Yeah, for long term teleportation there would be no need, but even if, the switch cant handle instantanious teleportation to far away.
Even Ratched and Klank, the showcase for that, did had the tunel to load, so you could just fade.

It for shure is short term teleportation...but i dont think its the tori gates. mind you,they could load all that in while you aproach it, and just set it visible, maybe when you enter you dont teleport but enter a different dimension where the colors are all twisted and you see stuff that was not there before -> no reload needed,just a "switch" to set stuff visible and effects like the ones with the bloodmoon. But i would argue, thats not teleportation... since you dont really change spot, so there should not be any distortion, except for the change in music, but that could be made with effects for a transition.

i feel like there will be a skill for short distance teleportation, and that will be used for combat and puzzles. Im honestly more interested how they handle the camera in that context.

-----------------------

Oh, and about the viles... why does everybody think its a game spanning central item. maybe its a literal retake of the TP tear collecting aspect?
You visit a place up there,and have to find all the tears for that shrine/region/temple/deity/whatever, and after that give the holder away again?

The concept would actually work way better then in TP. The exploration and finding part is way more pronounced and better handled in BotW,
while in TP it was a chore to climb around and stuff, and you always just wanted to get it over with, because it impaired other gameplay options:
you could not change to link, move to a different place, do other quests...here that would all be posible.

-------------------
reading the patent flowchart... that is pretty basic, but im curious how it will sound in use. Its clear a short distance teleportation, since the sound sources.

Essentially, either the teleport takes 10 frames (sounds reasonable), or it has some fade time for the sound to catch up so that it does not jump to jaring, and it essentially calculates the sound moving for 10 frames between your old position to the new one, as if you where moving from a-b in high speed instead of just teleporting.

not acurate, but a good compromise that it sounds rather acurate and not to distracting. Oh, and what im interested in, how does it handle sound sourced that only come into the loading zone in the new spot? because for that you cant take the last 10 frames... or are they ignoring it, because then the soundsource is already pretty low in volume because of distance (since it only loaded in), so that it it ignorable compared to other sounds?

Last edited:
@ZeldaPY
The gist of the patent text is that they want to instantly warp the camera position and direction, but doing the same instant switch to the microphone can be uncomfortable on the ears/brain with sound instantly popping between left/right or loud quiet.
A simple solution is to just interpolate the microphone position & direction from the warp entrance to the new one across ~10 frames, which would normally be fine and give a comfortable result.

But.. what happens if you have, say a waterfall between your two warp points? The result would be you get a brief loud blast of water during those 10 frames, and that is the problem that the patent is solving,
The solution being to interpolate the relative angles and distances of each sound source independently and reposition them accordingly instead of just moving the microphone.
The result would be your waterfall sound would curve around to the left or right depending on which was closer, and never get louder than it was from each warp point.
This makes a lot more sense now thanks for clarifying it.🙂 Should be interesting in what capacity they are going to introduce this warp mechanic, which seems a given that they have implemented it in the game because why come up with a solution to a problem if you aren’t using it.

Since the patent has the warp points as two separate points on the ground, I think it could work something similar to the portals in the portal games. Obviously they couldn’t do it exactly like portal, but I think there could be interactions with objects and enemies. Botw is built on multiplicative game design after all.

If we go on the Torii gates = fast-travel speculation route, my idea is this: You have to activate 2 gates that connect to each other, say, one on the south edge of an island, and one on the north edge of another.

Then, when both are activated, you can use both as fast travel points, as well as travel between them instantly. (With, what I hope is, no load times)

Or maybe the fast travel aspect isn't true, just the fact that 2 gates has to be activated in order for them to "work".

I've been wondering SO much about horizontal traversal in the air. The mechanical overboard sort of answered that, but I also think it would be cool to zap between island and island via the gates. Convenient, and having to be able to do that would still require exploration.

I worry that if we can just zap through island after island via the gates, it would make horizontal exploration in the sky too easy.

Oh, and about the viles... why does everybody think its a game spanning central item.

Personally I think so because it's so visibly attached to his hip. Why have it in such a prominent place if it's just a secondary part of the game? Then it would just be displayed in the menu.

Oh, and about the viles... why does everybody think its a game spanning central item. maybe its a literal retake of the TP tear collecting aspect?

It’s in the exact spot where the Sheikah Slate used to be. I think that’s evidence enough that it’s relevant to the games new mechanics imo.

Also… the new trailer convinced me even more I think that the long haired Link isn’t the same Link or it is but he’s way back in the past somewhere. He has what appears to be ancient type weaponry (look at the axe on his back) and you never see him with the vials on his hip. Plus his clothing. Only thing the two have in common is they both have the arm.

It’s in the exact spot where the Sheikah Slate used to be. I think that’s evidence enough that it’s relevant to the games new mechanics imo.

Also… the new trailer convinced me even more I think that the long haired Link isn’t the same Link or it is but he’s way back in the past somewhere. He has what appears to be ancient type weaponry (look at the axe on his back) and you never see him with the vials on his hip. Plus his clothing. Only thing the two have in common is they both have the arm.
I mean, if they are essential to open the temples and are major part of the gameplay loop as the slate was, i could see them hanging there,why not. And after you collect and use them, they dont need to hang there anymore, till you start the next hund?
IPersonally I think so because it's so visibly attached to his hip. Why have it in such a prominent place if it's just a secondary part of the game? Then it would just be displayed in the menu.
I mean, in TP they where importaint enough to be part of the UI for a while. Could be the same, while they are getting collected they hang there, because they are crutial for progression. Would explain why there are so many shots without them.

I mean, if they are essential to open the temples and are major part of the gameplay loop as the slate was, i could see them hanging there,why not. And after you collect and use them, they dont need to hang there anymore, till you start the next hund?

I mean, in TP they where importaint enough to be part of the UI for a while. Could be the same, while they are getting collected they hang there, because they are crutial for progression. Would explain why there are so many shots without them.

It’s not something that’s just hanging there though. It’s a part of his actual costume. Otherwise, why have slots for additional vials? Them showing this off in this trailer was a deliberate hint to show what Link has now to replace the Sheikah Slate. It’s not an accident it’s placement is in the exact same spot the SS used to be. As to why we haven’t seen it in prior trailers… either he hadn’t acquired it yet or they just more than likely didn’t include because they weren’t ready to show it yet.

The TP thing isn’t really comparable. Collecting the tears was an important part of the game, but it was a few temporary instances of directing the player in specific directions to collect the necessary items to fill up the vessel. It being part of the UI was just to help notify the player of how much is collected and how much more is needed. It was all temporary to serve a very specific gameplay moment.

The vials we’re seeing here on Link’s waist in TotK appear to be a permanent accessory that will be used throughout the game.

It is the same Link. I am 100% confident with that, I really don't know what purpose it would serve to play two different Links from a gameplay progression perspective. In a series where time travel isn't even unusual.

It is the same Link. I am 100% confident with that, I really don't know what purpose it would serve to play two different Links from a gameplay progression perspective. In a series where time travel isn't even unusual.
I'm still saying same Link, with his mind transported into the old body.
#QuantumLink

Maybe Zonai don’t use metal weapons because they were aware that Ganondorfs malice dissolves metal. That’s why every structure in the sky islands is made of stone, why only stone remains in Faron, why Links axe in the trailer seemed to be made of stone and bone (handle), and why the Zonai shield and bow look wooden.

Yeah. I think there is plenty of detail to show it is the same Link in these teasers (1) same paraglider (2) same ancient shield (3) same arm (4) he wears his Champion Tunic in the sky, so the toga appearance is not sky-exclusive (5) explicitly showing his face and the broken Master Sword in the delay announcement.

Link has let his hair down and worn different loose clothing in Breath of the Wild. The toga would just be another armor set (he even wears it with two different pant sets - the long pants, and sandals, in the 2021 teaser). I think "two different Links" is making too many assumptions.

As to why the vials aren't there in his toga outfit in the last teaser - could be he didn't get them at that point in the game. Could be disabled for debug purposes - it wasn't visible at all in the 2021 teaser. Maybe it is there and it's clipping through his outfit.

Maybe Zonai don’t use metal weapons because they were aware that Ganondorfs malice dissolves metal. That’s why every structure in the sky islands is made of stone, why only stone remains in Faron, why Links axe in the trailer seemed to be made of stone and bone (handle), and why the Zonai shield and bow look wooden.
Either that or they're worried about lightning strikes ;)

I don’t know what purpose it would serve either. Also don’t know what purpose it serves in changing his appearance and attire to match with wherever he is in the trailer. He has entirely different look to him, which does not necessarily indicate that it’s a different Link, but it just raises questions as to why. And believe more in it being same Link than it different one, just a curiosity seeing the differences between the two.

I'm still saying same Link, with his mind transported into the old body.
#QuantumLink

Isn’t he kind of that anyway? Link is always the same hero spirit embodying a new reincarnated hero to assist a reincarnated princess to defeat an ancient evil reincarnated into the form of a Gerudo that refuses to die. Lol

Isn’t he kind of that anyway? Link is always the same hero spirit embodying a new reincarnated hero to assist a reincarnated princess to defeat an ancient evil reincarnated into the form of a Gerudo that refuses to die. Lol
Same spirit, yes, but not necessarily same mind/person. And with a silent protagonist there isn't much of a functional difference, I just think it's gonna be "our" Link from BotW being zapped back into the body of the ancient Link, and thus the player along with him. Again, not functionality very different from playing two different Links or the same Link time traveling, but I think it'd be a good "story' reason for having two appearances across (assumedly) two different time periods.

I just think it's gonna be "our" Link from BotW being zapped back into the body of the ancient Link, and thus the player along with him.
I don't think an Ancient Link would have had his arm corrupted in the same way by Malice and wearing an identical gauntlet, having the same paraglider and shield, while also carrying the same melted Master Sword. The gauntlet part maybe, the rest eh.

It just feels easier to assume it's the same Link, same body, he's wearing different clothes. Maybe he himself is transported through time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom