• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next info drop will likely be in February. TGA is a distant option though - if there is one Nintendo game that appeals to the TGA audience it's Zelda.

I'm still getting adjusted to "TotK". My mind always goes to The Origami King first from seeing the abbreviation, then "no wait, that's not right" and then "oh yeah, it's BotW 2".

Trailer but I have no doubt that like everything else it will get an overview trailer (maybe 5-7 mins) a month before launch

We are going to get a Mr. Sakurai Presents: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom where he plays through the entire story with two controllers.

ToTK will not get a Direct.
NeeiGbZ.jpg

Well given how things turned out in LOTR, are you suggesting that a TOTK Direct is guaranteed and will come to save us in our darkest hours?
uh... you know what, yes. And like the king of Gondor, it will be inexplicably hot.

I just need one trailer that makes what the game is actually about clear and I'm done.

I'd prefer a Direct tbh.
The 2016 blowout spoiled nothing, and that's with like 4+ hours of Treehouse?
But it sure gave a good idea of what the game was.
The teasers we've had so far have not done that for Tears of the Kingdom and I fear full length trailers won't either.

The people moaning the most about a lack of a big unveiling are the ones who are going to buy it anyway. Given that these games are all about discovery, Nintendo is saving them from themselves by ensuring they go in with precious little knowledge about what to expect.

I choose trailer at most and even then I think I'd prefer to miss it. I've already seen too much.

The ideal situation at the Direct would have been, and I'm being serious here, is instead of the teaser, Aonuma appears in his boud-noir and says, 'Minnasan konnichiwa. I know many of few have been waiting patiently for the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm pleased to say the wait is over. Later today, you'll be able to buy the game from the Nintendo eShop. I hope you enjoy it. Now leave me the fuck alone. Arigatou gozaimasu." And that's it! It's even listed on the eShop as The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. You only find out the name when the tile appears during the download.

The ideal situation at the Direct would have been, and I'm being serious here, is instead of the teaser, Aonuma appears in his boud-noir and says, 'Minnasan konnichiwa. I know many of few have been waiting patiently for the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm pleased to say the wait is over. Later today, you'll be able to buy the game from the Nintendo eShop. I hope you enjoy it. Now leave me the fuck alone. Arigatou gozaimasu." And that's it! It's even listed on the eShop as The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. You only find out the name when the tile appears during the download.
Yes.

Be more daring, the title should only appear in the end credits.
Actually yes to this instead.

"The title is hidden in BOTW. There is a download available that will update a very small area of the map with a small new detail, this detail will give you the title.

Good luck finding it...you'll need it."

I wonder if we get a trailer for this that mirrors the 2017 Switch Presentation trailer.

Fami, would you rather:

A 2017-sequel trailer for TOTK for infinite goosebumps and rewatch

Or

20-minute focused Direct in the style of the Xenoblade 3 Direct. Just an absolute blowout of info.
why choose, we're gonna get both

I hope the animals don't just disappear into thin air in Totk. I forgot how jarring it is to be chasing a deer, and it just vanish 2 feet away from you.

We had already discussed how the Shiekah eye symbol has a teardrop.

But I had straight up forgotten the Life in the Ruins trailer shows that tear drop falling to the surface and forming the land (0:04). Damn.

(Also weird to hear this music knowing it's Daruk's theme lol)

Lurve me some sleuthing. I still have a hunch that the cover art will change before release, it's missing something like a centrepiece. Wasn't BotW's cover art also updated before release?

This reminds me of MatthewMathosis' Breath of the Wild review, in which he mentioned that much of BotW's potential is being held back because of a lack of restrictions. You can bypass many interesting challenges and locations with the infinite gliding. Making the winds up high stronger so Link's action radius is limited would be a good way to curate gameplay experiences some more. (Although I sure hope there'll be plenty of BotW style freedom because I really enjoyed that =P ).

This'd also put the mechanical birds into context: your paraglider can't take you into a thunderstorm, but some mechanical avian assistance from Her Holiness Blupee Person could.
I think we can already kind of see how they are attempting to make the gliding contained to specific portions of the map by only having the really high islands situated towards the edge of the map. When I think about it, this might be the only opportunity to build a vertical game and still use the glider given Hyrule is so spread out, where you can’t just make it to a single high point and basically glide across the whole map.
Part of the problem was that we got all the runes in the beginning of the game, which I personally didn’t like, but it gave everyone the freedom they needed. I just don’t see how they can do it any different unless you limit the player to have to go through a central location where everyone who plays has to go through in order to get additional abilities Unless they aren’t necessary to complete the game and then we are right back with what you just pointed out about BOTW potential being held back with lack of restrictions because you could easily miss items and game play mechanics.

My first time looking at the key art really but is nobody talking about the giant inverted tornado?
It’s funny I never really looked at it other than thought it’s a tornado that blocks that area off, but your right I haven’t seen anyone even mention it anywhere either. So you wont able to fly through it because you would be sucked straight down. I’m sure it will be impossible to walk through on the ground. Which means, fingers crossed we need to travel underground in order to access the inside.

Zelda took the Sheikah Slate when she fell, right? Given that and the short hair I wonder if she'll be a (partial) replacement for shrines AND memories. You can go to certain places in the overworld and "watch" her memories. This could be why we've barely seen the caverns which featured so heavily in the original trailer.

Zelda took the Sheikah Slate when she fell, right? Given that and the short hair I wonder if she'll be a (partial) replacement for shrines AND memories. You can go to certain places in the overworld and "watch" her memories. This could be why we've barely seen the caverns which featured so heavily in the original trailer.

Whether she is playable or not, she certainly has the slate with her. It was hers to begin with and she's the one carrying it in BOTW's ending. I think she even straps with to her waist.

Whether she is playable or not, she certainly has the slate with her. It was hers to begin with and she's the one carrying it in BOTW's ending. I think she even straps with to her waist.
Yeah she's totally playable. Not fully playable in the world, but playable.

We had already discussed how the Shiekah eye symbol has a teardrop.

But I had straight up forgotten the Life in the Ruins trailer shows that tear drop falling to the surface and forming the land (0:04). Damn.

(Also weird to hear this music knowing it's Daruk's theme lol)

I’m telling you all, the tear drops are the tears of the goddesses and they’re being collected to restore Hyrule. I feel so confident that for the first time in Zelda history, we will literally be meeting the goddesses in this game: Hylia, Din, Nayru, and Farore.

I feel so confident that for the first time in Zelda history, we will literally be meeting the goddesses in this game: Hylia, Din, Nayru, and Farore.
ooooooooh this would be cooooool

Especially since Fujibayashi's other (attempted) Zelda trilogy actually featured versions of Din, Nayru, and Farore as in-game characters.

I don't think she has it on her when she falls down. At least we never saw it. Personally I wouldn't be a fan of a returning Shiekah slate at all. It felt like they got the whole potential out of that thing with the DLC.

I mean they could give it more abilities but why not concentrate that abilities on one character? I really hope they focus on one playable character. Because character swapping sucks ass most of the time.

I am all for playable Zelda but character swapping is just really immersion breaking to me.

Yes I know I sound like a broken clock.

I don't think she has it on her when she falls down. At least we never saw it. Personally I wouldn't be a fan of a returning Shiekah slate at all. It felt like they got the whole potential out of that thing with the DLC.

I mean they could give it more abilities but why not concentrate that abilities on one character? I really hope they focus on one playable character. Because character swapping sucks ass most of the time.

I am all for playable Zelda but character swapping is just really immersion breaking to me.

Character swapping would be done in very limited capacity. Not constantly.

Well in the Oracle games, they were just oracles who shared the same name as the goddesses. I don’t believe they were the actual goddesses themselves.
Yeah that's what I meant by "versions" of them. I know it's a bit of a reach but I just like the idea of Fujibayashi getting to fulfill this big dream he's had for twenty years.

I fully expect that cutscene to have significant changes in the final version. That cut was made for the 2019 trailer and I don't think having or not having the slate in that trailer is indicative of the final product.

The marketing for BotW was nearly flawless. I am not surprised that they are going that route again for TotK. They don't need to show substantial amounts of the game. Give us a taste of what's coming. Perhaps mention a bit more about the extent of the sky islands or how expansive the underground will be. One gameplay showcase of a beginning area à la Great Plateau in the sky and a hype trailer leading up to its release would suffice, I'd say.

Real talk though, the teasers are doing their job just fine. Just look at all the speculation and theories just from one teaser and a title reveal lol

The first two really left the community with more questions than answers, and I thought that with title and date reveal trailer, we'd finally get some answers. And while we do know the title now, we have more questions than ever before.

But it's fun, and part of Zelda!

I really wonder what's the opening of the game will be. Not necessarily story wise but from a player perspective. The Great Plateau was perfect to guide you and act as a tutorial of sort so how will it be handled in TotK? Do you get to go wherever you want right away, or will there be some linear path? And what will the first trip to the sky islands look like?

I really don't see Zelda going the route of showing more about Din, Nayru, and Farore. They are the kind of entity that should stay a mystery. It's more fun to not know about them and keep speculating about their nature (like them being aliens from a very advanced civilization). This kind of story is also taken by another Nintendo franchise: Xenoblade. So doing that for Zelda would overlap too much, but who knows how much influence Monolith Soft has on Nintendo nowadays (At this point they could pretend that Zelda and Xenoblade are the same multiverses, I would believe it)

Last edited:
About the vials:

In the concept art, vials were shown to be used to power up the slate, so is it too convenient to assume that they will power up arm powers? One vial per power.

That would suggest two things, first that the items won’t be given to you all at once, you have to hunt them down. Secondly, that their power will be limited, have magic power be a part of enemy drops. In short, making the use of the powers more restrictive.

Not sure if I’m into that, but I’m not sure about much else, besides them maybe be the tears collected in dungeons, and be some sort of magic abilities independent of the arm.

The vials are a real head-scratcher for me.

About the vials:

In the concept art, vials were shown to be used to power up the slate, so is it too convenient to assume that they will power up arm powers? One vial per power.

That would suggest two things, first that the items won’t be given to you all at once, you have to hunt them down. Secondly, that their power will be limited, have magic power be a part of enemy drops. In short, making the use of the powers more restrictive.

Not sure if I’m into that, but I’m not sure about much else, besides them maybe be the tears collected in dungeons, and be some sort of magic abilities independent of the arm.

The vials are a real head-scratcher for me.

That would technically mean that using the hand powers, which in case they work like the Slate in BotW, being your main "items" were in limited use?

Dunno, that sounds like a real bad decision unlike weapon durabilty where you can find just enough stuff to never be weaponless.

About the vials:

It makes sense but Link injecting vials of strange fluid into his arm for extra power has the potential to be... misinterpreted to say the least lollol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom