• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this game been in development since after BOTW shopped in March 2016 or did it go into development after the season pass launched later in the year? Do we have a good estimate as to what month/time they started working on this game?
I think you mean 2017 and we were told it was towards the end of 2017

Will we get anything for botw’s 5th anniversary?
"Many of you have been enjoying the Legend of Zelda breath of the wild game since its launch in 2017, so we've been working on remastering select Korok seeds from across the map and we'll be releasing them as paid downloadable content"

Just looked up Zelda release dates. Console releases are often in November. Wind Waker was December even (probably because they were scrambling to get it out for the Holidays). Handheld releases are often around June.

BOTW2 MARCH 2022 CHOO CHOO

just for fun: DREAM DUNGEON IDEAS

what would you like to see?

I would love a greenhouse/glasshouse-based dungeon full of glass, fog and strange plants. It could function as a glass maze with a room of mirrors - where you can see the room you need to get to but not how to get there! It could be really visually striking to have a glass maze in which some sections fill with fog, which could illuminate certain paths while obscuring others. Glowing plants and roots providing an earthy contrast to the crystalline structure. Key item could be a laser, mirror shield or torch. It could also take place in an underwater biodome.

Just looked up Zelda release dates. Console releases are often in November. Wind Waker was December even (probably because they were scrambling to get it out for the Holidays). Handheld releases are often around June.

BOTW2 MARCH 2022 CHOO CHOO
Only December in Japan, it was March or later everywhere else - but this just piles on the hope for the March 2022 hype train!

I remember reading something about Metroid Prime 2 where it was said the light beam would promote plant growth which didn't happen but a dungeon around that would be cool.

I know Ocean King has soured the idea but a massive dungeon that needs repeated trips and all items to get to the end could be cool if done well. Different wings needing different items so it doesn't matter what order you do other stuff might work in a BOTW style.

And bring back time stones, they were interesting in Skyward sword.

I would love a greenhouse/glasshouse-based dungeon full of glass, fog and strange plants. It could function as a glass maze with a room of mirrors - where you can see the room you need to get to but not how to get there! It could be really visually striking to have a glass maze in which some sections fill with fog, which could illuminate certain paths while obscuring others. Glowing plants and roots providing an earthy contrast to the crystalline structure. Key item could be a laser, mirror shield or torch. It could also take place in an underwater biodome.

I'm not sure I have any dream aesthetics. Boring I know, but I'll leave that to the team. I even loved the Shrine / Divine Beast aesthetic - it just got tiring because it didn't change.

For one, I want some dungeons to feel like they’re part of the landscape. I want multiple entrances and even some random exits that dump out into an otherwise tucked away alcove in the overworld. Hyrule Castle is similar on some levels, but I want more.

Much easier said than done, but I want them to bring that feeling of player choice found in the the overworld to the dungeons as well. Divine Beasts had the illusion of choice, letting players solve discrete puzzles in the beast in any order, but aside from employing clever physics/chemistry tricks, every player played the same dungeon. The same was not true of the navigating the overworld; Everybody's hero's path, korok seeds and shrine encounters are meant to be different. Perhaps one route into a dungeon could bring you into a specific room from above, revealing a slightly different puzzle / giving you a different way to progress than another player who might have entered a room from the ground floor. Neither player need complete the alternate path(s) to progress.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have any dream aesthetics. Boring I know, but I'll leave that to the team. I even loved the Shrine / Divine Beast aesthetic - it just got tiring because it didn't change.

For one, I want some dungeons to feel like their part of the landscape. I want multiple entrances and even some random exits that dump out into an otherwise tucked away alcove in the overworld. Hyrule Castle is similar on some levels, but I want more.

Much easier said than done, but I want them to continue that feeling of player choice that they get from the overworld within the dungeon as well. Divine Beasts had the illusion of choice, letting players solve discrete puzzles in the beast in any order, but aside from employing clever physics/chemistry tricks, every player played the same dungeon. The same was not true of the navigating the overworld; Everybody's hero's path, korok seeds and shrine encounters are meant to be different. Perhaps one route into a dungeon could bring you into a specific room from above, revealing a slightly different puzzle / giving you a different way to progress than another player who might have entered a room from the ground floor. Neither player need complete the alternate path(s) to progress.
This is my dream for dungeons if they’re implemented into BotW style.

And what’s funny is I SWEAR aonuma had said way way back before we even got the official BotW reveal that this was something he was thinking of. He described a massive cave dungeon that you’d seamlesssly enter from a beach that would have multiple exits and entrances. I’ve never been able to find the interview or quote but I know I wouldn’t make this up, and it’s what got me excited about the potential in the first place

Only December in Japan, it was March or later everywhere else - but this just piles on the hope for the March 2022 hype train!
WE WILL BE PRAISED FOR OUR PROPHET-NESS!
For one, I want some dungeons to feel like they’re part of the landscape. I want multiple entrances and even some random exits that dump out into an otherwise tucked away alcove in the overworld. Hyrule Castle is similar on some levels, but I want more.
I'd be stoked if they used Hyrule Castle as a template for every dungeon in BotW2. Divine Beasts were cute, but they didn't really fit the concept IMO. Hyrule Castle, however, did. It nails so much of what an "open" dungeon would be like. Maybe add in some slight progression stuff (there were hints of this with the Blight covering up hallways).

Zelda dungeons have often felt very artificial. You're entering this Temple, or Mansion, or Grotto etc, but it's still very obviously designed by a game designer. Hyrule Castle felt like a fascinating, tragic place with a history and a layout that made sense for the kind of location it was. BotW's Shrines also got around this by making the artificialness part of the story, but honestly I'm not sure if I ever want to see a Puzzle Bunker like that again after 120 of 'em =P .

And what’s funny is I SWEAR aonuma had said way way back before we even got the official BotW reveal that this was something he was thinking of. He described a massive cave dungeon that you’d seamlesssly enter from a beach that would have multiple exits and entrances. I’ve never been able to find the interview or quote but I know I wouldn’t make this up, and it’s what got me excited about the potential in the first place
Oh I remember that line too. Might have been pre-SS even (...the irony).
But it's possible it was part of the commentary during the first BOTW reveal, or they said something similar?

He never described a cave system, he just said that you can approach dungeons/locations from different directions and that holds true for Hyrule Castle for example.

The big problem with that is of course that with the essentially endless movement/physics options in the game it's hard to design puzzles that way which shows with Hyrule Castle. And that's why shrines and divine beasts exist.

Last edited:

I said it on Era a couple of times, and I'll reiterate, I'd freak out royally if there's an underground temple akin to something like Erebor.

If I find an opening in the middle of Thyplo Ruins and discover something like 2:30, I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

Hi everyone. I joined Famiboard family just today, but I have been reading you for a long time. I wanted my first post to be in this topic, because I consider BotW the best game ever and I look forward to this sequel!
I hope we will have news soon!

Hi everyone. I joined Famiboard family just today, but I have been reading you for a long time. I wanted my first post to be in this topic, because I consider BotW the best game ever and I look forward to this sequel!
Welcome! 🙂

Nice to have another Zelda afficionado on here, welcome :)

I can‘t wait for the info blowout in June, it‘s gonna be glorious!

iu6buT3.jpg

Nice to have another Zelda afficionado on here, welcome :)

Thanks.
I'm an old gamer (so old i can say i lived the famicom era :p) and no other game has ever given me the same emotions.
Only the recent Xenoblade saga, for different reasons, can do it.

Thanks.
I'm an old gamer (so old i can say i lived the famicom era :p) and no other game has ever given me the same emotions.
Only the recent Xenoblade saga, for different reasons, can do it.
I feel you!

I personally experienced a gaming renaissance with the first Xenoblade back in the Summer of 2011. I had kind of fallen off gaming since Twilight Princess, but this game overwhelmed me emotionally. The perfect blend of music, open world design, quirky characters, and just an epic story was exactly what I needed to realize how gaming could enrich my life.

I felt a very similar kind of magic with my first playthrough of BotW. I felt all these emotions I hadn't connected with in a very long time - joy, awe, wonder. I have such high hopes for the sequel.

Master Sword got absolutely fucked by Malice.

Now we know for sure that part of the story will involve restoring the Master Sword. Link's hand also has the same yellow glow as when he rewinds time in the last trailer.

Yup! There was also concept art of floating islands. Pretty sure they're taking this sequel as an opportunity to pull ideas back off the cutting room floor (which hopefully means underwater sections too)
Can’t wait for them new iron boots we have to go through 2 or 3 layers of menus to activate!

Aonuma talking about an expanded world makes me think the whole BotW map will be contained within Botw2's, which will naturally be much larger. That's honestly so hype I can't even conceive it.

I'm so happy that I'm not a Zelda YouTuber (although Zelda news does have a large influence on my own channel's numbers). Monster Maze recently started doing Elden Ring and this is precisely why: Zelda is a tentpole series, and as such doesn't release often.

Fortunately it's not as bad as Final Fantasy just yet 😬.
YES THAT WOULD BE SO COOL ❤️
There's so much stuff from the Creating A Champion book ending up in BotW2 which is cool! I'd love to have the more creepy monster and Divine Beast designs in there as well.

Master Sword got absolutely fucked by Malice.

Now we know for sure that part of the story will involve restoring the Master Sword. Link's hand also has the same yellow glow as when he rewinds time in the last trailer.
Colours remind me more of the Goddess Sword, which would bring in even more Skyward Sword.
Aonuma talking about an expanded world makes me think the whole BotW map will be contained within Botw2's, which will naturally be much larger. That's honestly so hype I can't even conceive it.
That's the silver lining for me, expanding the "regular" map as well. If they add indoor locations next to more of those succulent wild areas, increase the enemy variety, shake up combat and make meaningful additions to the "Chemistry" Engine - of which the time stopping is a good sign - then lawd... 🤤

I think we’ll be seeing a good amount more than just sky islands and the original map based on the video. Still hopping for an underworld personally.

I hope we get a trailer in "E3", we've seen so little lol. I can handle the delay but the lack of info kills me.

Please please please still something at E3
It will be their biggest game still within the next year, no way they don’t. Heck, they gave us like a 5 second new teaser in this delay announcement, they definitely are looking to show the game off, especially if this is more of a strategic delay for scheduling reasons than one needed to actually finish the game.

It will be their biggest game still within the next year, no way they don’t. Heck, they gave us like a 5 second new teaser in this delay announcement, they definitely are looking to show the game off, especially if this is more of a strategic delay for scheduling reasons than one needed to actually finish the game.
True, I’m just second guessing myself because if they are gonna show it, it would’ve been nice to have that as a condolence prize for today “however, we will reveal more information in June!” Or something

Hell AC’s delay was announced after its E3 trailer

A long-ass hands-on treehouse demo at E3 like BotW's would be perfect to show off the new mechanics (time rewind, phasing, freefalling) and exploration. I think they've heard so much talk of "where are the dungeons? why do I want to visit the same world again? breakable weaponsssssss?" that they're eager to answer these questions.

What's everyone's take on the Master Dagger?

I think it got corrupted by malice along with Link's right arm, as seen in the previous trailer, and it is now sort of broken, but I still think it'll be a key feature in the gameplay somehow.

Maybe a hint at weapon reforgery?

I believe a Zeldatuber a while ago, maybe it was Zeltik, made an observation about the arches as seen in trailer 2, how they resemble the restoration in the shinto religion or something along those lines., Maybe Link's recovery will be a huge part of the story?

Regardless, I think Link getting messed up by malice is a great plot way to bring him back to 3 hearts and no items. And the whole "become strong again to face off the big bad" will be the setup again.

What's everyone's take on the Master Dagger?

I think it got corrupted by malice along with Link's right arm, as seen in the previous trailer, and it is now sort of broken, but I still think it'll be a key feature in the gameplay somehow.

Maybe a hint at weapon reforgery?

I believe a Zeldatuber a while ago, maybe it was Zeltik, made an observation about the arches as seen in trailer 2, how they resemble the restoration in the shinto religion or something along those lines., Maybe Link's recovery will be a huge part of the story?

Regardless, I think Link getting messed up by malice is a great plot way to bring him back to 3 hearts and no items. And the whole "become strong again to face off the big bad" will be the setup again.
Corrupted Fi fanart time

Aonuma did say this was gonna be a darker entry than BotW was... 🤔
spoiler alert! zelda dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom