• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think an Ancient Link would have had his arm corrupted in the same way by Malice and wearing an identical gauntlet, having the same paraglider and shield, while also carrying the same melted Master Sword. The gauntlet part maybe, the rest eh.

It just feels easier to assume it's the same Link, same body, he's wearing different clothes. Maybe he himself is transported through time.
Ah yeah, fair enough.

I still can't figure why the same Link would go back in time and change his hair and clothes, unless it's to.. like.. blend in..?

Ah yeah, fair enough.

I still can't figure why the same Link would go back in time and change his hair and clothes, unless it's to.. like.. blend in..?
In the 2021 teaser Link's lying on a stone platform (with the ancient writing) shirtless, green energy swirling around his arm and his gaunlet 'activates'.

I think after he's attacked by Malice and 'rescued' by the spirit hand binding the Malice, Link is down for the count. Maybe his clothes are melted or destroyed, he's sent up to the Sky and is given this clothing. Maybe for ceremonial purposes, maybe it's just what they had - a standard sky outfit like the Hylian tunic.

It does look very cool though

Okay, so.

Toga Link -
  • Has hand
  • Has paraglider
  • Has messed up Master Sword
  • Has no vial thingy

Tunic Link -
  • Has hand
  • Has paraglider
  • Has vial thingy

It all sort of adds up except the fact that Toga Link does NOT have the vial thingy.

I'm under the impression that Link goes underground with Zelda, gets attacked, gets materialised in the sky as the hand "saves him", is down to 3 hearts, and this is the Great Plateau of the sky islands, and where he gets the toga. I think it's a theory sort of backed up by the primitive-looking axe, which looks a lot like an early game weapon.

And later on in the game, maybe when the beginning section is done, Link gets "back" messed up Master Sword and tunic. But I'm still not sure where vial thingy comes into play. Is it not connected to the hand, then? A later game item, perhaps? And how come Link comes to what I believe is a place where the Master Sword can be partially restored, WITHOUT vial thingy?

A part of me wonders if Nintendo just decided to have Link wear the toga outfit in different parts of the game just to mess with theorists, haha.

And later on in the game, maybe when the beginning section is done, Link gets "back" messed up Master Sword and tunic. But I'm still not sure where vial thingy comes into play. Is it not connected to the hand, then? A later game item, perhaps? And how come Link comes to what I believe is a place where the Master Sword can be partially restored, WITHOUT vial thingy?
I imagine you get the vial thingie and the vials as part of the various tutorials in the sky, like the runes of the Sheikah Slate.

How are the Zonai savage? Some superior savages if I’ve ever seen one. I think something is BS. They got screwed over by another race. They were used or something
Yeah the whole 'barbarian' moniker from the game is probably just like how ancient civilizations called foreigners barbarians because they didn't understand each other ("bar bar bar").

The Zelda Wiki calls the Zonai "prehistoric" but I don't see a source for that. I even combed through Creating a Champion, as far as I know they're just called ancient. If the Zonai have writing (as seen in the stone slabs and sky platforms) then by definition they are not "pre-" historic. (Yes this is me being "um actually", I know :'( )

Zonai being pure magic users and dragon worshippers might have freaked out the ancient Shiekah, who used Magitech. I'm guessing the ancient Lanayru Desert machines in Skyward Sword were Shiekah, based off the blue energy, eye symbols, worshipping Hylia / The Triforce, and Impa being from the Surface.

My guess is the Zonai coexisted or fought with the Shiekah, both worshipped the Triforce, the Zonai "disappeared" I'm guessing by ascending to the sky using their green spirit energy leaving behind ruins on the Surface. I have no idea how they got involved with Ganondorf though.

The Zelda Wiki calls the Zonai "prehistoric" but I don't see a source for that. I even combed through Creating a Champion, as far as I know they're just called ancient. If the Zonai have writing (as seen in the stone slabs and sky platforms) then by definition they are not "pre-" historic. (Yes this is me being "um actually", I know :'( )
I think you can basically have them fit "prehistoric" from the Hylian point of view since we know that the entire Zelda franchise before BOTW has faded into the "Age of Myth." But certainly they don't predate all of history from the player's view.

I think you can basically have them fit "prehistoric" from the Hylian point of view since we know that the entire Zelda franchise before BOTW has faded into the "Age of Myth." But certainly they don't predate all of history from the player's view.
That's true, I was thinking too literally.
If Zonai are pre-Skyward Sword civilization then that's an immense amount of time before Breath of the Wild.

Okay, so.

Toga Link -
  • Has hand
  • Has paraglider
  • Has no vial thingy

Tunic Link -
  • Has hand
  • Has paraglider
  • Has vial thingy

It all sort of adds up except the fact that Toga Link does NOT have the vial thingy.

I'm under the impression that Link goes underground with Zelda, gets attacked, gets materialised in the sky as the hand "saves him", is down to 3 hearts, and this is the Great Plateau of the sky islands, and where he gets the toga. I think it's a theory sort of backed up by the primitive-looking axe, which looks a lot like an early game weapon.

A part of me wonders if Nintendo just decided to have Link wear the toga outfit in different parts of the game just to mess with theorists, haha.
Honest question: is it at all possible that toga Link was an early design idea that they just scrapped? I know that's not really Nintendo's way of doing things (afaik), but the game has been in development for a long time, and they have refused to give a concrete release date for so long that I imagine new ideas just kept coming up and things getting scrapped during development. Maybe they just changed their idea on how Link should look? Sorry if this is dumb lol, I legitimately don't know since I haven't been following updates as closely as most people here. I just know that toga Link was shown pretty early on and then hasn't really been brought up again iirc?

I just know that toga Link was shown pretty early on and then hasn't really been brought up again iirc?
Switch_TLOZ_TOTK_screen_08.jpg

From the teaser 9 days ago

i wonder if there will be an actual zonai in the game. They could have just been hanging under ground or something

I hope TotK allows for multiple save files. It was so difficult for me to overwrite my original save earlier this week so I could replay the game for the first time. But I really wanted to re-immerse myself back into this world before TotK so I can be more aware of the changes that has happened to the map.

If this teleportation idea holds true though I sure hope for a few special Tori shrines that suddenly teleport you to an underground location, or one on the overworld. (Preferably - and now it might be getting overly ambitious - with the new landscape being visible through the shrine if you get close enough, corny '70s fantasty style 🤤.)
I would be down for that as fast travel from underground to the sky. It makes me think that all three layers of the underground, ground level and Sky level will be connected in some way.

Much like how I am still stuck on a really good use for the Vials, I still can’t wrap my head around what the menu maps will look like and how they will function. We basically will have 3 different worlds layered on top of each other, so are we only going to access one menu map at a time depending on whether we are in the sky, on the ground or underground? The only thing I can think of is to have a side cut out view of the map for the underground cave section, our normal menu map we used in BOTW and then perhaps a 3D map while we are on the Sky Islands, one we could rotate like we had when completing the Devine Beasts and Hyrule Castle. It would crazy trying to look at the cave system, ground level and the sky islands at the same time unless they found some clever way to overlap them some how.

Also the thing I am going to miss is having the map blacked out and uncovering it as you go along, like when you learn a new section of the map when you unlock a tower. It would be nice if the surface level map is at least broken up in a different way when you unlock that area of the map.

Maybe Toga Link is like those non FLUDD levels in Mario Sunshine and they take away your powers for optional challenges.

It's important to remember that we didn't know about the importance of Link's blue tunic until just months prior to the release of BOTW. Many people had assumed that it was just his starting outfit before getting his traditional green tunic. Then in the VGA trailer, we got more of a hint of its significance because we saw Zelda wearing a similar outfit. It was the final trailer and the Nintendo's press tour afterwards that we finally learned the full details of the Champions.

No doubt that the toga plays an important role in the backstory of TotK but it may not be revealed until close to release.

I hope TotK allows for multiple save files. It was so difficult for me to overwrite my original save earlier this week so I could replay the game for the first time. But I really wanted to re-immerse myself back into this world before TotK so I can be more aware of the changes that has happened to the map.
You can get multiple save files if you create another profile. Can't use internet unless you pay for it though

You can get multiple save files if you create another profile. Can't use internet unless you pay for it though

Yeah I’m aware of that, just didn’t want to do it under another separate profile. Don’t feel like I should have to either, but I’m not a developer and I’m sure there’s some reason as to why this game only had a single file as opposed to other Zelda games. I guess it wouldn’t have really mattered though if I had did another profile, I just like to keep it everything in one place. Either way, I’m enjoying doing everything again. Very impressed by how well the overworld still holds up with so many open world games having released in the last 5 years. Only game on the same level imo has been Elden Ring. Have to give the two a tie though tbh. So good in their own different ways and can’t pick one over the other.

You could have made a new profile on your switch, every profile has it's own safes.

Edit: Way too slow

I really appreciate how the logo isn't completely white - it has a pale yellow tint to it that makes it appear almost golden. Looks fantastic.
its quite beautiful indeed. Probably in general one of the best logos around. What a franchise.

It's important to remember that we didn't know about the importance of Link's blue tunic until just months prior to the release of BOTW. Many people had assumed that it was just his starting outfit before getting his traditional green tunic. Then in the VGA trailer, we got more of a hint of its significance because we saw Zelda wearing a similar outfit. It was the final trailer and the Nintendo's press tour afterwards that we finally learned the full details of the Champions.

No doubt that the toga plays an important role in the backstory of TotK but it may not be revealed until close to release.

We don't know the significance, but we can see that it is unique in revealing the whole of Link's strange right arm. That's what makes me think it'll be an early outfit, but there might be a similar more basic toga to begin with.

My bet about that is that you start the game with the Champion's Tunic, obviously, then the shit with Ganondorf happens, Link gets messed up, needs to change clothes. The tribe in the sky, whoever they are, helps him, give him the brace for his messed up arm and the green toga. THEN the game really starts. You can get back the Champion Tunic by... idk, finding it somewhere either in the sky or on the surface (or the underground, if that's a thing).

Mom can we buy 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐦
Mom: We have 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐦 at home

𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐦 at home

Mom can we buy 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐦
Mom: We have 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐦 at home

𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐦 at home

Hey at this point I would take anything even closely resembling the sequel.

Hot take:

The best thing about Zelda as a video game is all the interactivity the devs come up with. It is legit impressive how much you can do in most games in the franchise.

Last nigth I had a dream, Nintedo uploaded a small video of ToTK, it was about underwater swimming and fishing, beautiful enviroment with alot of colors, and in the distance we can see the great deku tree sunken.
At the end of the video they said that there will be a new trailer in early october.

Do you people intend to replay BOTW before TOTK?
I will just watch the cutscenes again. I want to forget even more about the regions to help me having a fresh experience. And also after 400+ hours between 2017 and 2018 I don't feel like playing the game again.
Personally speaking I plan to replay it again in early 2023. Refreshing my memory when it comes to various NPC's, dialogue and topography.

I will just watch the cutscenes again. I want to forget even more about the regions to help me having a fresh experience. And also after 400+ hours between 2017 and 2018 I don't feel like playing the game again.
I have a 700+ hours file, recently I play the game to revisit the places from the new trailer. (Thabanta and Farone). Sometimes I play the game in short sessions just to enjoy the vistas.

Part of me wants to, but no. I'm with you, especially if a lot of this game will be using the same locations in some ways, I want to forget as much of that as possible so a lot of it will feel new.

400+ hours? It continues to baffle me how people put so much time into games they don't like.

Even if I let go of my vain hope that we have been shown development footage so far (they did say gameplay footage was not final) and the final game actually contains a lot less familiar stuff than we think, I'm still going to make the assumption that the game is not being designed where the discovery aspects of the experience depend on you having not played the predecessor that everyone has played.

In other words, the devs don't intend any familiar territory to be where the sense of discovery happens.

So I still intend to do a playthrough this Christmas.

I'm definitely revisiting all the Zonai related places. The Labyrinths. Thundra Plateau. Thyplo Ruins. All of Faron.

400+ hours? It continues to baffle me how people put so much time into games they don't like.

Even if I let go of my vain hope that we have been shown development footage so far (they did say gameplay footage was not final) and the final game actually contains a lot less familiar stuff than we think, I'm still going to make the assumption that the game is not being designed where the discovery aspects of the experience depend on you having not played the predecessor that everyone has played.

In other words, the devs don't intend any familiar territory to be where the sense of discovery happens.

Who said they didn't like it? They just put a lot of time into it and got burnt out.

While it's my least favorite 3d Zelda(sometime swaping places with SS depending on my mood) I really like the game. Got burn out from it but had a great time. And the game is really fun and addicting(not necessarily on a positive way though). While I usually criticize some of it's choices I also really like some of the things it brought to the series. So I have a lot of reasons to look forward for the next one.

All of Faron.
Faron is my favourite place in BotW and it's a shame that it's quite small. They went to all the trouble of making that biome awesome, with loads of unique art assets, geometry style and monkey sound effects, I would've loved to see more rainforest.

Hopefully they expand upon it in TotK... Still not too optimistic about added regular landmasses though.

Breath of the Wild has some absolute bangers man:

Can't wait to hear more from Tears of the Kingdom's soundtrack. It sounds really great already.

Part of me wants to, but no. I'm with you, especially if a lot of this game will be using the same locations in some ways, I want to forget as much of that as possible so a lot of it will feel new.
Yeah I don't typically replay games but I'm definitely not going to replay BoTW this close to ToTK. I didn't put as many hours into BoTW as some people, and haven't done a full replay, so chances are most of the game will still feel relatively fresh to me even if everything was reused

But I do think most of the exploration is going to come from Sky Islands + whatever else "and beyond" refers to in that Aunouma quote. And honestly the more I think about it, the more I absolutely love the idea of a vertical exploration focused game using the already excellent open world of BoTW as a staging ground. There really isn't much in the way of open worlds that put that much emphasis on verticality and I think people are probably underselling that.

Basically, since when did freakin sky islands become "just sky islands"

Actually, I had a thought the other day. That I struggle to think of any game other than TotK that might actually sell gangbusters despite this level of sparse marketing. It really is a game that the less you know the better. Its gameplay and game experience relies so heavily on surprise, mystery and facing the unknown.

Nintendo knows this, and it makes me think that maybe it's for the best for the game to be marketed as such. The Zelda fanbase are as loyal as can be, the Nintendo community at large swallows everything whole and the equation of a 100 million install base + sequel to one of the most critically lauded games in decades really speaks for itself.

Nintendo can basically sell the game on mystery alone.

To toy with the thoughts: What if we don't even get a blowout story trailer in February, like many hope for? What if the only other piece of PR we get from now until release is a 2 minute launch trailer that only contains small hints of the story and the world?

Not saying that it will happen (or that anyone wants it) but it would be an interesting marketing move for sure, to have the guts to hold back so much until release.

Apologies if I'm armchairing marketing here. No expert.

Actually, I had a thought the other day. That I struggle to think of any game other than TotK that might actually sell gangbusters despite this level of sparse marketing. It really is a game that the less you know the better. Its gameplay and game experience relies so heavily on surprise, mystery and facing the unknown.

Nintendo knows this, and it makes me think that maybe it's for the best for the game to be marketed as such. The Zelda fanbase are as loyal as can be, the Nintendo community at large swallows everything whole and the equation of a 100 million install base + sequel to one of the most critically lauded games in decades really speaks for itself.

Nintendo can basically sell the game on mystery alone.

To toy with the thoughts: What if we don't even get a blowout story trailer in February, like many hope for? What if the only other piece of PR we get from now until release is a 2 minute launch trailer that only contains small hints of the story and the world?

Not saying that it will happen (or that anyone wants it) but it would be an interesting marketing move for sure, to have the guts to hold back so much until release.

Apologies if I'm armchairing marketing here. No expert.
I would rather have the 2nd option, I want to know as little as possible going in. This doesn't mean it's the right move for marketing reasons mind you. I do agree that Nintendo can most likely get away with this being a complete mystery as you said and those points make sense.

Basically, since when did freakin sky islands become "just sky islands"
Yeah that huge sky island in the distance shown in the last trailer makes me think the new landmasses combined could rival BotW Hyrule in size. Like a Johto : Kanto situation, but stacked on top of each other - and on steroids. Sky 'continents'.

I think the toga outfit is Link’s starting/tutorial outfit for the game. It’s most likely the game will begin with him waking up from recovering from his malice injuries with his arm replaced by the green arm. There will be at tutorial section in some of the sky islands developing the arm abilities, like TotK’s Great Plateau. Then the game fully opens up and he gets the green vial thingie. I can’t decide if there will be a flashback to the events of discovering Ganondorf’s body at this point or if the game opens with those cutscenes. I don’t know why people are so hung up on time travel. Nothing I’ve seen thus far points to that. Of course, I could be wrong.

Now that I’m replaying BotW, I’ve encountered what I now remember to be the most frustrating aspect of the game: these Nayru forsaken, forced motion control table-top segments in some of the Shrines. I just want to pull a Bokoblin’s teeth out with a pair of rusty pliers. I would pray to the goddess Hylia every night until the release of TotK if it means these things are no where to be found in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom