• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m getting so amped. We could possibly getting a demo of this game finally being played next month. I just want to see everything

It is incredibly exciting, but also a bit unnerving?

We really haven’t seen the game yet. The teasers have barely set the scene, and if anything have been slightly discouraging - the landscape on display being unchanged and all.

I’m the last person that needs to be told they aren’t showing something significant, but until they do I think back to just how misguided the DLC efforts felt. Really hoping it can live up to the original game’s reputation.

Won’t be long now…

bvfeaoftl1u61.jpg
Which leads us back to

King Daltus said:
No, soldiers will not do. The Picori do not show themselves to anyone but children. Our soldiers could search for days and still find no sign of them.

You are definitely not alone in thinking that the second trailer could be a misdirect/feint, because nothing in the trailer made me think "yep, this is why the game is taking so long to make". There just has to be something that the devs don't want to show us yet.
Thats was my first thought. The trailer was a pure "we ned to show something, but its way to early to show our cards" thing.

Personally I just want the title and some new footage (preferably releated to the title like the E3 2016 trailer). I'm not greedy, not asking for big gameplay segments and everything, just something concrete beyond teasers.
I’m greedy, give me a 40 minute Treehouse segment.

Personally I just want the title and some new footage (preferably releated to the title like the E3 2016 trailer). I'm not greedy, not asking for big gameplay segments and everything, just something concrete beyond teasers.

This and a Artwork, so I can finally change my Wallpaper on both on my Mac & iPhone :p

Same here. I already feel like I know what I'm getting myself into (more BotW, new abilities) so we're reaching that point where it feels like too much more will delve into stuff I'd rather experience in the game. I'm already gonna buy the damn thing, it's a foregone conclusion. 😅
(yes I'm aware everyone else is hyped and wants to see more, I'll probably just close my eyes while the new trailer launches or something if it gets to be too much (yes I've done that with trailers before))

I am kinda curious on how well will they implevent HD rumble (BOTW didn't have it since Wii U and Switch versions had to be identical). I know some of you don't care about HD rumble but in Odyssey and many other titles it worked suprisingly well.

I am kinda curious on how well will they implevent HD rumble (BOTW didn't have it since Wii U and Switch versions had to be identical). I know some of you don't care about HD rumble but in Odyssey and many other titles it worked suprisingly well.

Would work well with the sheikah sensor, and replace the annoying beeping. Make it an improved dowsing mechanic or something.

I was wondering about how the sequel is going to deal with the collectible. What do you think about it? I would say the best collectables from BotW are the shrines, but I must say I kind of I would have liked more the korok seeds if I had been able to find them without guide.

I think looking for chest was one of the best ways to play without worrying about the main quest. We know the sequel it's going to use the same world, which is huge, so we should expect to have more collectible. What kind of collactables would you like to have?

For me, I loved the fairies from Majora's Mask. Imagine different fairies spread throughout Hyrule. The more you collect, the better habilities you get from the Great Fairy.

Last edited:
w9512gptug571.png

In the trailer we see a dragon head flamethrower bolted onto a regular wooden shield. I wouldn't be surprised if that was intertwined with some sort of collectible for item upgrades, like the rubies and diamonds from the first game, with weapon parts to fuse new tools. I also think this is a remediation of the weapon / shield durability mechanic, extending the lifespan of weaker weapons through fusion or allowing duplicate weapons to be merged. I think Age of Calamity had a similar mechanic. Also this is a subtle confirmation of dual wielding with ranged and melee weapons so you can cast elemental effects on an enemy without switching to fire arrows or a fire rod / weapon.

Yeah Zeltik is so passionate, he loves Zelda so much and it shows, great work.

Refreshing to have a "What I want in BOTW2" video that isn't short for "... is for it to fix BOTW", ie really complaining about BOTW. Apart from the one trivial thing, his items were all either new stuff or expanding further on what BOTW achieved.

I kind of I would have liked more the korok seeds if I had been able to find them without guide.
Since the Korok seeds are not meant to be found in their entirety, I really don't see how you need a guide to find sufficient numbers to complete the stash upgrades.

Quoted by: Eos
Since the Korok seeds are not meant to be found in their entirety, I really don't see how you need a guide to find sufficient numbers to complete the stash upgrades.
Well, as a completionist, I like to find and discovert everything even if I don't need it. In this case, I was able to find more than 800 seeds without guide. But the last ones were impossible. I would have liked to find on my own, just that. Similar to the Skultullas in OoT. You don't need to find the 100 tokens, but for some people it's fun. And in OoT it's easier because you know where to look for.

I also think this is a remediation of the weapon / shield durability mechanic, extending the lifespan of weaker weapons through fusion or allowing duplicate weapons to be merged.
This would be great.

Now that Xenoblade 3 is around the corner and we learned quite a lot about it, I’m starting to get hyped for BOTW2… the fact that we probably will get a new teaser/trailer in the next few weeks even if the game could be 10 months away is very exciting… I’m more optimistic about they expanding greatly the main map and changing enough of the original locations to the point the exploration and sense of discovery will be near like the original… *crosses fingers

Last edited:
Fusing together weapons in AoC was one of my favorite aspects of that game. Would love for something similar to return in BotW2.

This is already so nostalgic, 3 years old in 17 days. I like watching reactions for this from time to time, it was so unexpected and second it's nice to see when people realised it's actually new Zelda, some catch it when that green energy was spining and some catch it when that torch showed up.

Damn. It's been a while since I've re-watched the trailers...and never all that closely. So continuing my "theory" from 4 pages back, those glowing crystals in the underground look damn similar to the Timeshift Stones from SS. I know they're "luminous", but they're a totally different structure type than BotW Luminous Stone deposits, which as far as crystals go, is a more defining characteristic? (but what do I know, I'm not a geologist).

After re-watching the trailers, and a little googling about the timeshift stones, I see I'm not the only one who thought that.

And without looking up anything further, I'm probably not the only one who thinks that the mummy could be Demise. The flowing red locks, not quite as fiery as before. But that would happen if you're imprisoned underground for who knows how long. Not quite as buff as before either, as all the loose jewelry hanging off his depleted body demonstrates. And I know he was defeated and sealed within the Master Sword at the end of SS (spoiler alert). But that Demise was resurrected by Ghirahim after going back in time via, naturally, the Gate of Time.

That Demise had to be resurrected in the past because he had already been killed in the present, while in the form of The Imprisoned, by Link dropping the Sealed Grounds/Statues of the Goddess on his head (with help from the Groosenator). Or "seemingly" killed, because that type of thing can easily be retconned.

So maybe he was just almost destroyed and then kept imprisoned deep underground in his weakened state by that glowing manicured hand. And in the beginning of this trailer we see Link and Zelda stumble onto his prison, for whatever reason. So what could awaken this mummified Demise after all the time? Not sure if we see it for sure in the trailer (I can't pick out the Master Sword by the hilt, shame on me), but I am guessing that Link is carrying the Master Sword with him. The same Master Sword that has past-Demise imprisoned within it. Perhaps that's what awakens him and somehow sets him loose.

Also have a quick "theory" about how he gets loose. Cause I mean the glowing hand could maybe be enough to hold him still if there was nothing else going on. But then Zelda and Link shows up. And the mummy (sensing part of himself/his power in the Master Sword I guess) gets all fidgety, he starts twitching, his eyes start glowing, things start rumbling, flashes of light, etc...and Zelda gets a little scared.

So we are shown that the ground falls away and we also see Link reach down to save her (closeup shot of their hands - their right hands).
Then, I'm guessing, when Link is about to fall and both of them will die, the hands leaves its position on guard duty to save them (not shown, my "theory") cause of who they are.
We are shown the glowing hand reach down to grasp Link's left hand, so I am guessing that his right hand is still holding onto Zelda.
Then, I'm guessing, the red smoke attacks Link's right hand, he drops Zelda (we see a clip of her falling), then we see his arm being corrupted, we also see the glowing arm latches onto him.

And so I guess the spirit of Demise that was imprisoned inside the Master Sword escapes (we see the sword corrupted and corroded in the latest trailer), combines with the mummy, and then he floats up Hyrule Castle (maybe because it was built at the same site as the Statue of the Goddess or maybe not).

Sorry if this has been put out there by someone else, probably has. But I just had an itch to get it out there without confirming anything.

This is already so nostalgic, 3 years old in 17 days. I like watching reactions for this from time to time, it was so unexpected and second it's nice to see when people realised it's actually new Zelda, some catch it when that green energy was spining and some catch it when that torch showed up.

I remember seeing the spiral and thinking “game doesn’t look interesting”, then when it first showed Link and Zelda I thought, “Holy, new BOTW DLC”, and I thought that for the rest of the trailer, until they said it was a sequel.

And without looking up anything further, I'm probably not the only one who thinks that the mummy could be Demise. The flowing red locks, not quite as fiery as before. But that would happen if you're imprisoned underground for who knows how long. Not quite as buff as before either, as all the loose jewelry hanging off his depleted body demonstrates. And I know he was defeated and sealed within the Master Sword at the end of SS (spoiler alert). But that Demise was resurrected by Ghirahim after going back in time via, naturally, the Gate of Time.
The Gerudo jewelry, red hair, and wall art depicting a trident wielder on horseback suggests to me it's Ganondorf.

The Gerudo jewelry, red hair, and wall art depicting a trident wielder on horseback suggests to me it's Ganondorf.
My thoughts too, Demise was absorbed into the sword. It's almost definitely Ganondorf because Calamity Ganon seems to came from him/the body. And the man on horseback was wielding a trident, the classic Ganon weapon.

This trailer was so unbelievably superior to the recent one.

Still not over the flash of dry-ganondorf with a growl in the most recent trailer. Who thought that was spooky?

Neck cracking glowy eye dry-ganondorf from the first trailer is where it’s at.

This trailer was so unbelievably superior to the recent one.

Still not over the flash of dry-ganondorf with a growl in the most recent trailer. Who thought that was spooky?

Neck cracking glowy eye dry-ganondorf from the first trailer is where it’s at.
Absolutely 100% agree. This trailer is so mysterious and yet so hype, the recent one is good at music but here how it's in reverse, beating heart in it, it's just so superb.

I knew what it was at the moment I heard the first two reversed notes. Literally jumped out of my chair. I'm a true sucka for this shit.

I definitely wish the second BotW2 trailer was longer but I really like it. The music is excellent and the things it teased look really hype.

I've never understood the desire for Demise to come back directly. It doesn't really fit the ending of Skyward Sword, and imo it doesn't really do anything interesting for the story either. In terms of character, he's just Ganondorf before there was Ganondorf.

I say that as a big Skyward Sword fan too. Though personally, I think if Nintendo wanted to do anything else with Demise, they would've already. He's never been mentioned outside of Skyward Sword.

He's not though, he is the evil that is being reborn through the ages in the form of Ganondorf

(AFAIK from the zelda wiki)
Yeah, more than a Ganondorf before Ganondorf, he is the actual evil behind it all. To be more specific... he is the primal evil that has endured over the ages. The evil whose's hatred was incarnated in OoT Ganondorf and still dooms Hyrule to blood-soaked eras in the Downfall Timeline.

Yeah, more than a Ganondorf before Ganondorf, he is the actual evil behind it all. To be more specific... he is the primal evil that has endured over the ages. The evil whose's hatred was incarnated in OoT Ganondorf and still dooms Hyrule to blood-soaked eras in the Downfall Timeline.
In fact I would think it would even make the most sense if Demise came back for the "final chronological chapter" of Zelda

In fact I would think it would even make the most sense if Demise came back for the "final chronological chapter" of Zelda
Yeah, basically bringing the cycle to a proper close. One final battle between the Blood of the Goddess and the Demon King. The conditions are also there for BotW2 to be a bookend to what started with Skyward Sword. Princess Zelda has her power to the max and has purified her body in the springs, and Fi has partly reawoken from her slumber with the Master Sword shining bright once more. The latter which was given certain implications with SS.

Gaepora reciting the prophecy left to the Skyloftians said:
When the light of the goddess's sword
shines bright, the great apocalypse
will wake from its long slumber.

Do not fear, for it is then that a youth,
guided by my hand, shall reveal himself
in a place most sacred.

I knew what it was at the moment I heard the first two reversed notes. Literally jumped out of my chair. I'm a true sucka for this shit.

Same here! It's the same synth pad that is used in the intro song for Twilight Princess. Instantly recognised it.

Yeah, basically bringing the cycle to a proper close. One final battle between the Blood of the Goddess and the Demon King. The conditions are also there for BotW2 to be a bookend to what started with Skyward Sword. Princess Zelda has her power to the max and has purified her body in the springs, and Fi has partly reawoken from her slumber with the Master Sword shining bright once more. The latter which was given certain implications with SS.

And again, it would be even more fitting if this is how Ganondorf, who in truth is also a descendant of Groose, was able to be freed from a generations-long curse and truly reunited with his "friends", Link and Zelda, once more.

Groose obviously was the "unlucky friend" who Zelda didn't choose and was just a part of Link's story. If it turned out that Demise also "rewarded" Groose for running interference by setting up the conditions for him and his descendants to always be suffering in resentment far and away from Link and Zelda, and thus, lay the foundation for the kind of rancor and resentment that Ganondorf would embody generations later, I wouldn't be surprised.

And again, it would be even more fitting if this is how Ganondorf, who in truth is also a descendant of Groose, was able to be freed from a generations-long curse and truly reunited with his "friends", Link and Zelda, once more.

Groose obviously was the "unlucky friend" who Zelda didn't choose and was just a part of Link's story. If it turned out that Demise also "rewarded" Groose for running interference by setting up the conditions for him and his descendants to always be suffering in resentment far and away from Link and Zelda, and thus, lay the foundation for the kind of rancor and resentment that Ganondorf would embody generations later, I wouldn't be surprised.
Fuck

He's not though, he is the evil that is being reborn through the ages in the form of Ganondorf

(AFAIK from the zelda wiki)
I mean in terms of personality and what he actually does, there's no real reason to use him over Ganondorf. They're the same villain in practice, and I don't think he's any more interesting than Ganondorf. Honestly, outside the context of SS and its backstory, I feel he's less interesting.

I'm also fairly certain that Demise as a living entity is supposed to be gone for good.

Demise wouldn't even have to go that far. The Gerudo themselves are not that resentful of living in the desert. Even when they were banished from Hyrule in the Child Timeline, their response was to try and foster a more positive relation with Hyrule again. All Demise needed was just one individual, one individual to be raised apart from his tribe, and for that individual to be planted with a mere tad of hatred. The individual being Groose's descendant, living in the desert brought forth by Hylia's and Lanayru's mining activities, being an "extra touch" to facilitate planting the hatred.

If we go by that, Demise just needed one thing: for his subjects to make sure an individual like that was born. A condition that could be easily met if one of his subjects served as a surrogate. Two certain witches, that also mysteriously knew rituals to revive the Demon King, fit the bill and we know they are Ganondorf's surrogate mothers. Which would make Demise's "reward" one that was pretty planned out, even the time. Afterall, his first incarnation does come around the time when the unity of the races of the land was in shambles for the first time since the Era of the Goddess Hylia.

Demise wouldn't even have to go that far. The Gerudo themselves are not that resentful of living in the desert. Even when they were banished from Hyrule in the Child Timeline, their response was to try and foster a more positive relation with Hyrule again. All Demise needed was just one individual, one individual to be raised apart from his tribe, and for that individual to be planted with a mere tad of hatred. The individual being Groose's descendant, living in the desert brought forth by Hylia's and Lanayru's mining activities, being an "extra touch" to facilitate planting the hatred.

If we go by that, Demise just needed one thing: for his subjects to make sure an individual like that was born. A condition that could be easily met if one of his subjects served as a surrogate. Two certain witches, that also mysteriously knew rituals to revive the Demon King, fit the bill and we know they are Ganondorf's surrogate mothers. Which would make Demise's "reward" one that was pretty planned out, even the time. Afterall, his first incarnation does come around the time when the unity of the races of the land was in shambles for the first time since the Era of the Goddess Hylia.

I love it. Now, I want Koume and Kotake to come back, too. If they found out a way to revive themselves in at least one timeline branch, what's stopping them from doing so again (if they haven't already)?

I love it. Now, I want Koume and Kotake to come back, too. If they found out a way to revive themselves in at least one timeline branch, what's stopping them from doing so again (if they haven't already)?
That would probably take some time :/. In a way, Astor filled their possible role in Age of Calamity and Nintendo probably wouldn't want to do that in a main game so quickly after it is used in a "spin-off". Though considering the cave where Ganondorf's corpse is seems to have engravings of his past (the one Zelda lights up in the teaser seems like OoT Phantom Ganon or a Ganondorf with the Trident of Darkness). So they could potentially appear as part of those engravings showing Ganondorf's past.

Last edited:
I vaguely recall some kind of resurrection plot in the background by Koume and Kotake in the Oracle games but they didn't fully succeed. I wonder what Ganondorf will be like in this game and whether he'll be fully resurrected to the extent of being able to speak. It's difficult to say right now since we don't know what the story will be about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom