• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never expected the game will be the 'darkest Zelda ever', whatever that means. Myself included, I think most people feel like just from the first teaser alone, the game is already darker than Botw was.

Botw had it's focus on nature, and despite the calamity at the castle, not much really felt foreboding. Even the blights didn't feel much like evil entities, despite their looks. Rather, they were more like forces of nature. For this game, I think they're going to put more emphasis on dark and light themes in equal parts.

It seems like the overarching theme is similar to what they did with the Ancient Cistern, which is based on the story of 'The Spider's Thread'. The layers of the world, sky all the way to the underground. The sky seems divine, bathed in golden light, has prominent lotus symbolism and Buddist architecture. And I suspect the underground will reflect hell, as it did in Skyward Sword's Cistern.
You don't wanna know how many people I heard talking about that Aonuma quote implying the grand return of adult dark Zelda as if it ever existed in the first place.

I was wondering how if they’d keep the “go straight to the boss” nature with this game. If things stay as is with the castle floating, you’ll probably be able to phase up into it. Again, this is just limited knowledge on what we’ve seen. For all we know you may not be able to phase into the castle. The castle might move. The final boss might not be there, etc etc

I was wondering how if they’d keep the “go straight to the boss” nature with this game. If things stay as is with the castle floating, you’ll probably be able to phase up into it. Again, this is just limited knowledge on what we’ve seen. For all we know you may not be able to phase into the castle. The castle might move. The final boss might not be there, etc etc

I believe that the final boss is below the castle, with the castle serving as the dungeon, where Link must descend instead of ascend it, he drops down on it from a floating island, but can't approach from ground.

I don't think they will repeat this again. I really loved the way how they approached it with BotW but honestly they should make you work to reach Ganondorf this time.

He isn't a primitive force of nature (like Calamity Ganon) where you can just go to the castle to fight him. He always has a masterplan that he follows... wouldn't make sense that you can reach and beat him this early.

And if they do it again I hope they mix it up instead and design the progression differently in the sense of you can go to the last dungeon but it will be so much harder without the right items or you wont really understand the puzzles yet and so on instead of just giving us 4 bossfights before the endboss.

I think it will go something along the lines of "use time stop on a flying stick, while putting a fallen tree in front of it while yolo megnesising yourself to outer space" you then fall for 15 minutes straight and reach the final boss without effort!

I still hope for a fiscal year 22-23 release. Hopefully we are under 9 months away from launch

I believe there will be a heavy emphasis on restoring the Master Sword in this game so while I expect you can challenge the "final boss" he may be unbeatable without a fully restored MS. Which I think is fine, even in open world games part of the fun is being able to at least approach an immense obstacle and coming back later when you're prepared, like getting to level 7 early in the original Zelda and feeling overwhelmed.

I also hope the more you progress in the game, the more the mummified Ganondorf restores himself and if Link is fully powered up, there should be a 1:1 sword duel with the Gerudo king. Also bring back the hidden skills for the sword for some flair.

I hope they keep the Spirit Orbs but add things you can do with them. Like different upgrade possibilites outside of health and stamina. You should also get the equivalent to them outside of dungeons.

Would add a lot of replayability. It doesn't have to be as deep as RPG stats but some improved progression systems would be appreciated.

Maybe we will know all along where the final boss is but can't go there?
Either because we are completely elsewhere in space (another land/layer or version of hyrule) or time (time travel shenanigans).
Or the castle will be the highest point in the sky and the developers cut the sheikah slate only so no madman propuls themselves in the sky with bomb/stasis/magnesis combo.

I would personally like to see a more linear form of story telling, while keeping to freedom. This would allow for both shrines and traditional dungeons to exist.

They would probably need some kind of branching story with consequences to really nail it though. Something like, if you clear dungeon A before dungeon B, the delay of the hero getting to B would result in some kind of change to the land. Likewise if you do it the other way around, a different challenge for the same reason is added to dungeon A.

Not sure that Nintendo would go that route, but it would be really interesting to see in a Zelda game.

Last edited:
I've never expected the game will be the 'darkest Zelda ever', whatever that means. Myself included, I think most people feel like just from the first teaser alone, the game is already darker than Botw was.

Botw had it's focus on nature, and despite the calamity at the castle, not much really felt foreboding. Even the blights didn't feel much like evil entities, despite their looks. Rather, they were more like forces of nature. For this game, I think they're going to put more emphasis on dark and light themes in equal parts.

It seems like the overarching theme is similar to what they did with the Ancient Cistern, which is based on the story of 'The Spider's Thread'. The layers of the world, sky all the way to the underground. The sky seems divine, bathed in golden light, has prominent lotus symbolism and Buddist architecture. And I suspect the underground will reflect hell, as it did in Skyward Sword's Cistern.
Oh wow. You just blew my mind FRFR. I'm reading the Japanese version of The Spider's Thread (Kumo no Ito) for language study and I completely forgot hearing years ago that the Ancient Cistern is based on this story. 🤯 It's going to have a whole new layer of meaning now. Thank you!

589a2a380d0794e834dffd0959f48def1507f366r1-500-281_hq.gif

Do we think this big, heavy mount will have a gameplay role to fulfill? Like a mobile camp where you can store things for underground exploration? Or is it just for a cutscene?

Would be so cool if you would have this as a mobile base in the game. Maybe you have limited inventory in the sequel and you would think about what you bring to a dungeon. You could park it in front of the dungeon.

Problem is there are sky islands so idk.

Do we thinks this big, heavy mount will have a gameplay role to fulfill? Like a mobile camp where you can store things for underground exploration? Or is it just for a cutscene?

Would be so cool if you would have this as a mobile base in the game. Maybe you have limited invenotry in the sequel and you would think about what you bring to a dungeon. You could park it in front of the dungeon.

So if you run out of arrows you have to leave the dungeon? No thanks. That's worse than weapon degradation.

So if you run out of arrows you have to leave the dungeon? No thanks. That's worse than weapon degradation.
I mean they could design the game around it.... giving you arrows from enemies etc. But basically....

It could act as a mobile respawn point for example but you would also need to think about what you take with you when exploring because this thing can't move everywhere. Its a manifestation of an unlimited inventory you yourself have not. You would need to prepare for things. Maybe instead of 80 meals you can only take 5 with you or 10.

Do we thinks this big, heavy mount will have a gameplay role to fulfill? Like a mobile camp where you can store things for underground exploration? Or is it just for a cutscene?

Would be so cool if you would have this as a mobile base in the game. Maybe you have limited invenotry in the sequel and you would think about what you bring to a dungeon. You could park it in front of the dungeon.

I general, I think it would be really great if there was a very limited inventory that required you to prep for your adventures. Having mobile mounts that allow you to do certain actions (like access your larger inventory, or consume food, or whatever) would be a good change imo.

But clearly based on the other post, a controversial take!

I completely had forgotten about this clip. What trailer is it from?

Do we think this big, heavy mount will have a gameplay role to fulfill? Like a mobile camp where you can store things for underground exploration? Or is it just for a cutscene?
I 100% think it will have some gameplay purpose, with all of the items it's carrying - axe, firewood, blankets, a shield(?), lanterns, sacks, torches, etc. Would be a odd to have it just for a cutscene. Even BotW let you at least mount bears and deer for fun or a shrine quest. The previous game had stables for Link to camp out in safe areas, but I doubt there are stables in an underground world. So I agree with the idea that it will be a mobile base/respawn + rest point. I'm guessing the limited inventory will work like the last game and the extra bags on the mount are the extra slots.

The surface phasing patent confirms underground areas as far as I'm concerned.
Therefore, for example, the passing-through movement allows the player character to quickly escape from an underground cave or quickly move onto a roof from the inside of a building. Moreover, for example, when there is a cave beneath a building where the player character cannot enter because the entrance door is locked, the passing-through movement allows the player character to enter the building from the cave.
I actually think this area is underground but it's just a hunch. Related to the sky islands by architecture. Maybe it's buried underneath the surface and is forced out of the ground and into the sky. (What if you ... reverse the flow of time of an entire area and return it to its original state 👀)
zfv1de7gbh571.jpg

The surface phasing patent confirms underground areas as far as I'm concerned.

I actually think this area is underground but it's just a hunch. Related to the sky islands by architecture. Maybe it's buried underneath the surface and is forced out of the ground and into the sky. (What if you ... reverse the flow of time of an entire area and return it to its original state 👀)
zfv1de7gbh571.jpg

The architecture here is for sure related to the sky realm. It could be underground, or this could be a cave in one of the sky islands itself. But either way, I do think going underground to unlock new areas of the sky realm, and or vice versa, will be the main exploration loop.

I think it was a Monster Maze video theory that touches on this, but in Creating a Champion, there are unused concepts for Zonai towers that were elevators of some kind. It could be that in order to get to various parts of the sky realm you have to go underground to raise these towers to the surface, then these transport you to the sky.

Also, I think this Like-Like type enemy is awesome. I hope this is an indication of even more abstract, or non-humanoid enemies being included.

Last edited:
It has been pointed out that perhaps the flamethrower shot is not in a cave in the sky since he’s wearing the hylian/champion tunic combo, which is usually associated with ground shots in the trailers.

It has been pointed out that perhaps the flamethrower shot is not in a cave in the sky since he’s wearing the hylian/champion tunic combo, which is usually associated with ground shots in the trailers.
That’s probably reading to much into it imo.

So probably no Zelda news for awhile, unless we get a miracle July direct. This Zelda content drought is so depressing,
The next time we see it, we're going to SEE it, though. None of these weak teasers. We're going to see what this game is all about.
And then we're going to be in the marketing cycle.

The next time we see it, we're going to SEE it, though. None of these weak teasers. We're going to see what this game is all about.
And then we're going to be in the marketing cycle.
September/October at the latest, maybe it will be dedicated Direct or at least very big big portion in September one. This is going to be big showing for Zelda.

I'm thinking the next time we see it will be in dedicated Zelda show case or New Hardware Event. Typically Big new 3d Zelda games are separate from non E3 directs and BotW 2 would take a lot of attention away from the rest of the games.

6e3bbe06105804e2b010fb1ea88909596d19bb9c.gifv

This gif alone just excites me to no end. The implications are huge.

How vertical will this game be? What will be its highest point?
This gameplay snippet is quite overlooked in my humble opinion.
They could have easily just made the same game with more and bigger dungeons, some tweaked gameplay systems and everybody would have been happy.

Them going in a completely different direction was quite the 'wtf' moment for me in 2021.
In the next trailer I imagine we will see a similar scene but this time they will show off Link turning upside down mid air giving us a look at what the scale of the game really looks like.

Combined with a redesigned overworld and a potential underground world.... really can't wait.

"The adventure in this sequel will take place not just on the ground as in the previous game, but also in the skies above. However, the expanded world goes beyond that, and there will be an even wider variety of features you can enjoy." I am thinking about this quote every day. It's been a long wait but in September we will finally see it, at that point it will be 15 months since we last saw it (if am not counting new footage from the delay video).

"The adventure in this sequel will take place not just on the ground as in the previous game, but also in the skies above. However, the expanded world goes beyond that, and there will be an even wider variety of features you can enjoy." I am thinking about this quote every day. It's been a long wait but in September we will finally see it, at that point it will be 15 months since we last saw it (if am not counting new footage from the delay video).

I really hope so, the waiting is killing me....

I realised today that BotW was the biggest, most expensive game Nintendo had ever made. BotW2 will likely top that, so they have a lot riding on it.

September for more info sounds logical, but so did "E3 time"... So I don't really know what to hope for anymore.
Zelda Direct when they feel like it haha

Indeed, especially when considering the patents we got. This video does a fine job of explaining the patents and actually has 3d animations for each one.

I realised today that BotW was the biggest, most expensive game Nintendo had ever made. BotW2 will likely top that, so they have a lot riding on it.

September for more info sounds logical, but so did "E3 time"... So I don't really know what to hope for anymore.
"E3 Time" was always too far out.

Referring to my post at the beginning of the month, it was never logical once the delay happened. It was more logical to do the unveiling after Xenoblade and Splatoon were out the door. The only counter was having Zelda be yet again a no-show in a general direct, but they found an elegant solution to that.

Look at the announcement to release gaps these days.
Xenoblade - 7 months (before it was brought forward)
Kirby - 6 months
Metroid - 4 months

There is no reason to think that they would want to kick off the BOTW2 marketing push with nearly a year to go. Autumn makes the most sense as it will be the next big thing, especially if they don't have a notable holiday title.

And comparisons to BOTW are invalid. Back then, Nintendo had nothing else to offer. Playing up BOTW was a desperate plea that the audience not give up on them.

So many commentators are ignoring these factors.

Referring to my post at the beginning of the month, it was never logical once the delay happened. It was more logical to do the unveiling after Xenoblade and Splatoon were out the door. The only counter was having Zelda be yet again a no-show in a general direct, but they found an elegant solution to that.

Look at the announcement to release gaps these days.
Xenoblade - 7 months (before it was brought forward)
Kirby - 6 months
Metroid - 4 months

There is no reason to think that they would want to kick off the BOTW2 marketing push with nearly a year to go. Autumn makes the most sense as it will be the next big thing, especially if they don't have a notable holiday title.

And comparisons to BOTW are invalid. Back then, Nintendo had nothing else to offer. Playing up BOTW was a desperate plea that the audience not give up on them.

So many commentators are ignoring these factors.
Yeah, showing off BotW was the way for Nintendo to get through 2016.

not sure how much of your post was directed at me btw

not sure how much of your post was directed at me btw
It started out that way then seamlessly transitioned, like traversing Hyrule, to addressing a lot of the general gnashing of teeth (with particular attention to zeldadungeon.net and a bit to Hyrule Gamer).

So yeah didn't mean to sound overly critical of you personally.

Thought of an intersting idea for the title, I know there is a thread for title guesses but I have a guess there I like.

The Legend of Zelda: The Ruling Hand (or some combination of words in "the right hand rule")

Watched the 1st trailer last week and I noticed that the green, counter clock-wise spiral has malice moving upward through its centre to the ceiling. If you study electricity in physics, you'll quickly learn how electric currents can dictate magnetic field directions and vice-versa: if current moves in a counter clockwise spiral, a magnetic field will move upwards. These concepts are usually demonstrated with your right hand, and named "the right hand rule"; the hand/arm on Ganondorf is a right hand/arm. This all leans on the analogy of magic is like electricity though, but that's shown in the second trailer at 0:42.

I guess if the title had spoilers in it, it might be something related to time.

The Wild Through Time?

Or to Demise.

Rise of Demise?

Here's a thing I wish for with BotW2 that the original massively overlooked:

Give me a good staff roll.

Out of the main entries, LttP, Ocarina, Majora, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all had fantastic endings that pretty much detailed little NPC interactions in the form of "here's what happened afterwards". Skyward Sword did a slightly different thing but it closely resembled previous entries in that regard.

BotW could've stuck the landing with that, but failed to do so massively. In a game all about freedom, seeing little scenes with your choices in them would be fantastic. I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to program, too. Instead we got jpegs with some in-game music over them.

BotW doesn't have the most memorable sidequests, but even the "collect 10 rat asses" ones would be improved for, I imagine, every player, if they saw it make a difference within the world, and there's no better place for it than post-ending as other Zelda games pretty much do that.

For example: if you did the Crazy Flower Lady shrine credits could roll with a little cutscene of remaining Bokoblins stepping on them with her subsequently beating them up. A few shots of Tarrey Town could've been present, as well as Great Fairies you've helped. A few scenes from your house. Some people enjoying the beach you've cleared up as part of the Hateno quest. Koko cooking. Zora playing with or cooking frogs you've given them. That one dude running at hyper-speed after you gave him 50 mushrooms. All that.

In a game that stresses player freedom it doesn't do much to actually reward you, and I feel like something like that would've gone a long way to make sidequests more interesting and NPCs more memorable.

I just want the final fight to be a Link v fully revitalized/renewed/rejuvenated/regenerated Ganondorf. I really don't want it to be just Zombiedorf or some other non Ganondorf stuff. Ganondorf only.

A cool ass sword duel between the Hero of the Wild and the Demon King, make Link stab him in the head again

I just want the final fight to be a Link v fully revitalized/renewed/rejuvenated/regenerated Ganondorf. I really don't want it to be just Zombiedorf or some other non Ganondorf stuff. Ganondorf only.

A cool ass sword duel between the Hero of the Wild and the Demon King, make Link stab him in the head again
Honestly I can't see that happening. They've been trying to change the Ganon formula most especially starting with ALBW and SS. BotW shows again they want to do something different with Ganon. Why would they regress to OoT, WW, TP Ganondorf?

There's some kind of new twist with this incarnation of Ganondorf and I don't think it is something that will be easily predicted.

I wonder if we will get some of the concept enemies that was posted for BOTW, it would fit perfect if we did explore the underground world (it being a much more darker side of BOTW2)

Kind of like a

Hyrule - Middle Ground
Sky - Haven
Underground - Hell

tloz_botw_27.jpg

I wonder if we will get some of the concept enemies that was posted for BOTW, it would fit perfect if we did explore the underground world (it being a much more darker side of BOTW2)

Kind of like a

Hyrule - Middle Ground
Sky - Haven
Underground - Hell

tloz_botw_27.jpg
I hope so, BotW 2 could use some Eldritch horrors deep below Hyrule.

It looks like quite a few BotW 1 concepts are being redone and reused for BotW 2 so far. I think at least some of those enemy concepts will likely make it in the final build. I doubt they will be exactly like these, but the essence will remain. Kind of like Link's Sheikah arm with various attachment abilities -> Link's spirit arm with rune-like abilities.

EDIT: Maybe these creatures will be completely made of Malice? Maybe Ganondorf's body is a vessel for such a creature? The castle looked like it was being lifted by something with 4 - 6 arms of Malice.

I think there is still potential for Ganondorf's character, without it feeling like a retread.

WW and TP Ganondorf felt distinct from one another. WW's felt like a more stable, almost more sympathetic old man, while TP's has the air of a ruthless conqueror because of how their timelines played out differently.

We don't even know if BotW2's Ganondorf is the same one, or a reincarnation. We know at least that he was a trident-wielding Gerudo king who was sealed, mummified, and emits 'pure' red Malice. Raises a lot of questions about why he was under Hyrule Castle in the first place, who sealed him, what 'Calamity Ganon' is etc.

My theory is that he was a threat to Hyrule, was sealed and possibly experimented on for an energy source by either the ancient Shiekah, Royal Family, or other group. The Calamity Ganon boss room is similar to the Shiekah monk's chamber in the Trial of the Sword (also both have 360 degree maps of Hyrule??).

The first sequel teaser shows Link and Zelda exploring a path littered with luminous stones which are said to be related to / powered by spirits, like the energy in the Spirit arm and Eyegore. So we've got the 'red' (Malice), 'blue' (Shiekah tech), 'green' (Spirit) energies and it doesn't seem like a coincidence that these are tied to 'power', 'wisdom', 'courage'. Alright I'll stop myself before I start spinning into a speculative frenzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom