• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
More dragon involvement would be in line with what I expect. Name of the game is probably gonna involve dragons.

I'm just having fun speculating. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Zelda using the tablet != playable Zelda, anyway. Could be a support character like the champion descendants in the previous game.
Oh, yeah. im just worried. there are so many people that are trying to wish playable zelda into existence,
and that will be dissapointed and diss the game for not being that.

But speculation is fine. i was over defensive =D

I don't know if it's Google translate, or an affectionate (and cautious) nickname, but everybody calling the game Cookout 2 is great lol

Oh, yeah. im just worried. there are so many people that are trying to wish playable zelda into existence,
and that will be dissapointed and diss the game for not being that.

But speculation is fine. i was over defensive =D

I've made my controversial opinion on this topic known, but I do take particular exception to the way this expectation of a thing that has not been promised and is not precedented has been set up as the defining metric for the game. It's ridiculous that some people are readying themselves to be outraged if the game turns out to have you play as Link like every other game in the series.

I for one hope the lack of Sheikah slate means that there is no Sheikah slate. It was super awesometastic in BOTW, but this is a new game. Let's have new stuff instead.

Last edited:
As someone who doesn’t really care about playable Zelda, I expect playable Zelda in botw 2. I just think it makes too much sense

I've made my controversial opinion on this topic known, but I do take particular exception to the way this expectation of a thing that has not been promised and is not precedented has been set up as the defining metric for the game. It's ridiculous the one some people are readying themselves to be outraged if the game turns out to have you play as Link like every other game in the series.

I for one hope the lack of Sheikah slate means that there is no Sheikah slate. It was super awesometastic in BOTW, but this is a new game. Let's have new stuff instead.
Took me a while to parse that first paragraph. Maybe because im not aware of youre controversial opinion.
I think i get it.

To the second one: im with you there. At the time where the wii u gamepad was a factor, it seemed like a lot of potential is there.
As it was used, it was fine, kind of an in universe way to explain the menues, but from a gameplay perspective...yeah.
Have other artefacts, or simply some magic. this game needs a lot of freshness, this is one aspect they should let go.
Or at least, have it only be a story mcgufin, but not again your main toolkit.

I've made my controversial opinion on this topic known, but I do take particular exception to the way this expectation of a thing that has not been promised and is not precedented has been set up as the defining metric for the game. It's ridiculous the one some people are readying themselves to be outraged if the game turns out to have you play as Link like every other game in the series.

God I know exactly what you mean, it does bother me.

Yeah, I think as they develop this huge open world with a specific progression system, balancing multiple playable characters is a challenge and I don't think a lack of playable Zelda should be held against the game. Though I do want Zelda herself to have more of a role in the ongoing story and I think that will happen anyway, as Zelda and Link investigating the underground is tied to Ganondorf reawakening. I speculate a twist to Zelda falling where (a) Link/Spirit Hand reverses the flow of time and quickly rescues Zelda or (b) Zelda falls deeper underground with the Slate and uses it to communicate with Link. Could be neither of course.

I think it's clear from the patents and last gameplay teaser that Link's arm will be the primary magic tool with multiple 'runes' - two of which are surface phasing and reversing time. But we do know from BotW's true ending that the Slate is still functional while the Divine Beasts are not. ("Vah Ruta... it looks like it stopped working"). We know from the memories and Age of Calamity that Zelda desires to study and use the Slate so it'd be fun if she had access to it in the sequel.

I think a distinction between this game and the previous is spirits vs. tech, the spirit green energy in Link's arm, the Champions' Ghosts, and the Eyegore vs. the Shiekah tech's blue energy and blue flames. A lot of speculation videos have covered this but the floating islands have imagery tied to spirituality and divinity like the Lotus and the architecture/clothing reminiscent of Shinto shrines and Greco-Roman civilization. So if BotW is Link wielding a chainsaw fighting robots on a motorcycle then BotW2... Link freefalling next to dragons shooting arrows at ancient possessed golems? Just daydreaming here.

This is a direct sequel, I don't think that they should throw things away for the sake of it. Which is to say, I'd miss the slate abilities, in particular Stasis and Magnesis. And I think Cryonis in the game was kind of lame, but it had enormous puzzle potential that went unused (partly because there wasn't any real water physics). I'd love to see all these things expanded, with additional abilities of the same kind (IE, abilities that manipulate the simulation). If they could just move them over to the magical arm then great. But to ditch them? Please, no :(

anybody know the name of the song from the BOTW2 E3 2021 trailer? I want it on my Youtube Music.
It‘s likely the main theme of the game and thus hasn‘t been officially released yet. There exist some fan-made renditions of it on youtube.

I watched the 2nd trailer again today, some of those sky islands really look like they could be turned upside-down. If some of those islands were flipped, they’d be very climbable, and this wouldn’t be something new for Zelda (MM and the 4th temple).

This is a direct sequel, I don't think that they should throw things away for the sake of it. Which is to say, I'd miss the slate abilities, in particular Stasis and Magnesis. And I think Cryonis in the game was kind of lame, but it had enormous puzzle potential that went unused (partly because there wasn't any real water physics). I'd love to see all these things expanded, with additional abilities of the same kind (IE, abilities that manipulate the simulation). If they could just move them over to the magical arm then great. But to ditch them? Please, no :(
I thought a good way to rescue Cryonis would be an upgrade that allows you to use it outside watery areas (would probably be a nightmare to balance though - maybe just on the overworld (with the rationale that the air in shrines is too dry). It seeing use as a more versatile instant-cover ability made sense. Being able to shunt blocks around like they're sliding on ice would be a good idea, so it could be used as a makeshift ground projectile. I could see it doubling as a prism-like light-refraction tool for some hypothetical laser-like ability/weapon too, so I can see puzzle or combo potential too.

I know the experimented with a hookshot and ultimately decided to bench it because it would trivialise too many of the other mechanics, but grapple arrows that are hard to come by might be a good compromise.

I think the replacement for Magnesis should be some sort of Jedi force power using the power of the green hand. Picking up objects will work similar to Magnesis but w/ added functionality to throw and pull objects and maybe even small enemies. I think that's a logically upgrade and allows for more interactions with the physics system.

I know the experimented with a hookshot and ultimately decided to bench it because it would trivialise too many of the other mechanics, but grapple arrows that are hard to come by might be a good compromise.
Grapple arrows would work well with the freefall archery mechanic as a way to safely latch onto a surface:
0bpju9nbek581.jpg

One year ago today, after two years of waiting we've got Sky islands, new Link's abilities and more. We made it to another year and in two weeks we will probably finally know the title of the game, can't wait!

One year ago today, after two years of waiting we've got Sky islands, new Link's abilities and more. We made it to another year and in two weeks we will probably finally know the title of the game, can't wait!
I should be beyond excited for this, but the possibility that they wait closer to launch to show BotW2 again remains. I guess we’ll know by the time they announce this Direct. If it’s not in it, they’ll surely say it beforehand. They know the expectations right now. If they don’t mention it in the announcement, I think it’s a lock.

I should be beyond excited for this, but the possibility that they wait closer to launch to show BotW2 again remains. I guess we’ll know by the time they announce this Direct. If it’s not in it, they’ll surely say it beforehand. They know the expectations right now. If they don’t mention it in the announcement, I think it’s a lock.
I think there is like 99% chance it will be there, they showed 5 seconds or so of new footage when they delayed it, they clearly have stuff to show. This would be 3rd Direct in a row when BOTW2 is not present, not happening imo.

I think there is like 99% chance it will be there, they showed like 5 seconds or so of new footage when they delayed it, they clearly have stuff to show. This would be 3rd Direct in a row when BOTW2 is not present, not happening imo.
I’m not worried that they have a ton of stuff to show. They must be more or less at the same point in development as BotW was when it was shown at E3 2016. The decision will be purely based on marketing. I remain cautious, but as you said, I don’t think we’re going into a third Direct where it is not present, especially in their summer Direct.

One thing that I'm really interested is to see how those patents will turn out. Aerial gameplay seems to be really fun.

On the other hand after BOTW, RDR2 and Elden Ring I think that huge open worlds are not for me. Usually they have a really good start but then repetition patterns shows up and my enjoyment curve nosedive. For now BOTW2 is my lowest hyped 3d Zelda. Hope they show something to change this situation.

Also having the same BOTW artstyle doesn't help that much either.

The concept of going through solid ground and getting access to new heights with it just to go down sky diving again sounds like so much fun. Really can't wait for the reveal of the gameplay loop!

The concept of going through solid ground and getting access to new heights with it just to go down sky diving again sounds like so much fun. Really can't wait for the reveal of the gameplay loop!
The patent also wrote, "Therefore, for example, the passing-through movement allows the player character to quickly escape from an underground cave or quickly move onto a roof from the inside of a building. Moreover, for example, when there is a cave beneath a building where the player character cannot enter because the entrance door is locked, the passing-through movement allows the player character to enter the building from the cave. Thus, the passing-through movement offers unprecedented moving methods, thereby enhancing strategic characteristics of the game."

So we'll be able to go from underground, to overworld, and not just overworld to sky islands, with the passing-through mechanic.

The patent also wrote, "Therefore, for example, the passing-through movement allows the player character to quickly escape from an underground cave or quickly move onto a roof from the inside of a building. Moreover, for example, when there is a cave beneath a building where the player character cannot enter because the entrance door is locked, the passing-through movement allows the player character to enter the building from the cave. Thus, the passing-through movement offers unprecedented moving methods, thereby enhancing strategic characteristics of the game."

So we'll be able to go from underground, to overworld, and not just overworld to sky islands, with the passing-through mechanic.
Yeah I know but thanks for the head up! Pretty hype if you ask me. Really sounds like something only Nintendo could pull off.

Imagine wandering around in the underground and then using this ability just for you to arrive in a completely new area or biome.

Yeah I know but thanks for the head up! Pretty hype if you ask me. Really sounds like something only Nintendo could pull off.

Imagine wandering around in the underground and then using this ability just for you to arrive in a completely new area or biome.
Hopefully you can use the phase through mechanic while swimming. I felt the lack of options to fight back while you were swimming in water kind of broken. Hopefully you can swim underneath raised enemy platforms and phase through to the top or something, as an example. EDIT: Being able to swim under a bridge and then phase through to be on the bridge would also be a cool addition.

So since we are getting close to more news I want to bring this up, as heard in new video by Monster Maze. When BOTW2 was announced it was spreading around that Aonuma said that BOTW2 will be more darker then BOTW, like Majora's Mask was.

From E3 2019:

This morning, you surprised everybody with a big, big trailer in the Direct, and we're all excited about that. I just played Link's Awakening, and I want to talk to you a lot about that, but I have to ask about the trailer. Everybody's buzzing with excitement: It seemed like this was a dark twist on Breath of the Wild, that reminded me of Majora's Mask, was that on purpose?
Mr. Aonuma: The new Breath of the Wild, or the sequel to it, it's not necessarily going to be related to Majora's Mask or inspired by it. It's just that it happened to be what we showed you currently is a little bit darker, and we're honestly still in production, so we can't really say exactly how it's going to be turning out.

This does not confirm it will be darker than BOTW. But also does not deny it, we will just have to wait and see however over the years it was like people misunderstood that quote and think it will be darker.

Last edited:
So since we are getting close to more news I want to bring this up, as heard in new video by Monster Maze. When BOTW2 was announced it was spreading around that Aonuma sad that BOTW2 will be more darker then BOTW, like Majora's Mask was.

From E3 2019:

This morning, you surprised everybody with a big, big trailer in the Direct, and we're all excited about that. I just played Link's Awakening, and I want to talk to you a lot about that, but I have to ask about the trailer. Everybody's buzzing with excitement: It seemed like this was a dark twist on Breath of the Wild, that reminded me of Majora's Mask, was that on purpose?
Mr. Aonuma: The new Breath of the Wild, or the sequel to it, it's not necessarily going to be related to Majora's Mask or inspired by it. It's just that it happened to be what we showed you currently is a little bit darker, and we're honestly still in production, so we can't really say exactly how it's going to be turning out.

This does not confirm it will be darker than BOTW. But also does not deny it, we will just have to wait and see however over the years it was like people misunderstood that quote and think it will be darker.
I try to tell folks this for 3 years now. Commonwealth Realm has to be the worst offender of this. Overemphasizing on how BotW 2 will be the 'darkest' Zelda and so on.

I've never expected the game will be the 'darkest Zelda ever', whatever that means. Myself included, I think most people feel like just from the first teaser alone, the game is already darker than Botw was.

Botw had it's focus on nature, and despite the calamity at the castle, not much really felt foreboding. Even the blights didn't feel much like evil entities, despite their looks. Rather, they were more like forces of nature. For this game, I think they're going to put more emphasis on dark and light themes in equal parts.

It seems like the overarching theme is similar to what they did with the Ancient Cistern, which is based on the story of 'The Spider's Thread'. The layers of the world, sky all the way to the underground. The sky seems divine, bathed in golden light, has prominent lotus symbolism and Buddist architecture. And I suspect the underground will reflect hell, as it did in Skyward Sword's Cistern.

Last edited:
It will be the most vertical open world ever made. You will have 3 layers of underground, ground, and sky to explore. The level design of the world will be how those 3 layers are vertically aligned to allow traversal (via the phase ability) to areas that are unreachable, etc.

You will probably start underground, acquire the phase ability, then phase upward to some location on the ground (it's the main mechanic of the game, similar to climbing). Then you will unlock more islands in the sky to go to by doing things underground and on the ground level. Sky will be the divine realm.

It will be the most vertical open world ever made. You will have 3 layers of underground, ground, and sky to explore. The level design of the world will be how those 3 layers are vertically aligned to allow traversal (via the phase ability) to areas that are unreachable, etc.

You will probably start underground, acquire the phase ability, then phase upward to some location on the ground (it's the main mechanic of the game, similar to climbing). Then you will unlock more islands in the sky to go to by doing things underground and on the ground level. Sky will be the divine realm.
Yeah, it definitely seems to me like going up (phasing) and down (free fall) will be the main mechanic of the game. Love that they are embracing the "open air" term they coined.

Sky, ground, & underground all seems likely at this point, but I’d assume there is more to the world than just that. I think there has to be a big change to the main part of the map to to keep that interesting. Personally, I’m expecting some sort of alternative timeline with Link being the legendary hero where many parts of Hyrule are restored. I’m also thinking that playable Zelda could finally happen, although not doesn’t necessarily change the world but perhaps how you interact with it.

Sky, ground, & underground all seems likely at this point, but I’d assume there is more to the world than just that. I think there has to be a big change to the main part of the map to to keep that interesting. Personally, I’m expecting some sort of alternative timeline with Link being the legendary hero where many parts of Hyrule are restored. I’m also thinking that playable Zelda could finally happen, although not doesn’t necessarily change the world but perhaps how you interact with it.

Changes to the main ground map will be caves to access underground. Hyrule Castle will be one of them but there will be more tucked around the landscape. Also, there will probably be some more settlements. I expect Hateno Village to be a bit bigger, etc.

So, you basically have 3 modes of traversal between these layers:
Phasing: Below -> Above (any layer)
Freefall: Above -> Below (sky to surface only)
Caves: Above -> Below (surface to underground only)

it will be interesting to see how dungeons could benefit from the phasing puzzle and level design wise. My imagination is running wild already.

Imagine you are entering a dungeon and there is this big room with 3 paths and doors. You need two items to form a key to enter one of the doors.

The other paths each lead to a room where you will have to phase through the ceiling, getting the key on the top level and now you have to navigate and fight your way back down to the first level again.

The two key paths could vary in gameplay style with one being combat orientated and the other more puzzle orientated.

After entering the third door with keys you will have to complete one more little challenge combining things from the 2 key paths and then you will get a reward.

You'll probably end up having to reverse the flow of time of moving platforms while simultaneously phasing through them. This is going to spawn another 6+ years of folks sharing their physics shenanigans and I'm going to love it.

You'll probably end up having to reverse the flow of time of moving platforms while simultaneously phasing through them. This is going to spawn another 6+ years of folks sharing their physics shenanigans and I'm going to love it.
the game will be glorious. I am sure of it. I remember people laughing when Nintendo proudly shared that the Octo expansion levels were also designed by BotW level designers. the dlc has the best levels and challenges in the franchise by far.

Can't wait to witness how they went wild with all of the mechanics in the sequel.

The best in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom