• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Kit & Krysta Podcast |ST|

It’s funny how the truth is so much more messed up, than all of the scenarios they thought of for the Helena/ Bayonetta situation.

Great podcast episode this week as always!!

My thoughts on the topic: Sony definitely wrote off the Japanese market cause it doesn't align with their global strategy. The Playstation brand has been established as a high power console that delivers blockbuster games, so trying to reclaim Japan by doing a hybrid next time would hurt them with their global audience they worked to cultivate and it would give a big lead to Xbox as the most powerful console.

The hybrid approach is perfect for Nintendo because they haven't been about chasing console power since the Wii era and so their audience comes to them for unique hardware and game ideas focused around the act of play more than visual spectacles or blockbusters.

Loved the Wii U episode. Nice to actually hear first hand that it was obvious to those working at Nintendo that the system had some huge flaws.

To this day I still have no idea how this system even came into existence.

- The Name: Wii U. Surely Wii 2 would have been better and more of an instant way of telling the audience of what the console was supposed to be - a successor to the Wii. The name Wii U just didn’t communicate anything at all. There was even a tablet for the Wii called U-Draw.

- The system: To the untrained eye, the system even looked like the original Wii. You wouldn’t instantly see the console itself and think - that’s something new, that’s something different. Imagine the PlayStation 2 was called the Playstation U and looked 90% the same as the original PlayStation! Just wouldn’t happen.

- Games: The Wii U was a generational leap in graphics over the Wii and was Nintendo’s first HD system. If you weren’t already confused by the name and the system looking almost exactly the same as the OG Wii, the lead title for the Wii U is called Super Mario Bros U and looks exactly the same as Super Mario Bros Wii! Imagine Nintendo launched the Nintendo 64 and the new Mario game looked exactly the same as Super Mario World. See how utterly mental that sounds? It happened with Wii U.

- Donkey Kong - Listen, I love Tropical Freeze but it was the right game at the wrong time. People were hyped to see a game which really pushed the new systems capabilities and they were hoping Retro Studios would be the game to do this. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is then shown and AGAIN, to the untrained eye, it looks exactly the same as Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii!!

- Game boxes. The games came in DVD cases instead of Blu Ray cases. This is only a smaller point but even something like this made the console feel inferior. At the end of the day PS3 and 360 game came in Blu Ray boxes. Everyone knows a Blu Ray is better than a DVD, so why are Wii U games in old fashioned DVD sized boxes? It’s not a good look.

- The two versions. Having an 8GB and 32GB made no sense at all. I remember Iwata doing an unboxing of the 32GB and he was talking as if 32GB was huge.

Then you add in the huge day 1 update, the super slow UI, only one gamepad per console etc. It’s just beyond comprehension how all this was managed.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel they, particularly Krysta, are getting much harsher about Nintendo lately? It's like as they've adjusted to life not part of the corporate machine, their pent up frustration is being let out.

Krysta even went as far as to repeat the falsehood that Nintendo have a bad track when it comes to backwards compatibility. Kit was sceptical about her position, but there was definite grudge energy there.

Just out of curiosity: When did Kit and Krysta start their Youtube channel? And when was the last time we had a Nintendo Treehouse with NoA employees on screen playing games?

Does anyone else feel they, particularly Krysta, are getting much harsher about Nintendo lately? It's like as they've adjusted to life not part of the corporate machine, their pent up frustration is being let out.

Krysta even went as far as to repeat the falsehood that Nintendo have a bad track when it comes to backwards compatibility. Kit was sceptical about her position, but there was definite grudge energy there.
I definitely thought that as well.
It could be them (her) adjusting, or she just knows that this is what brings in listeners and petreon subs.

It could be them (her) adjusting, or she just knows that this is what brings in listeners and petreon subs.

It would be bad if Krysta is cynically going for hate clicks and "negativity sells". Their entire appeal was the wholesome, pleasant vibe (okay and their insider experience). I would lose interest if they just became yet another lion in the colosseum. YouTube has enough of those.

@kitosan, what is happening?

If they start using thumbnails saying "<something> is TRASH!!" we'll know what their strategy is.

Last edited:
It would be bad if Krysta is cynically going for hate clicks and "negativity sells". Their entire appeal was the wholesome, pleasant vibe (okay and their insider experience). I would lose interest if they just became yet another lion in the colosseum. YouTube has enough of those.

Now, I wouldn't go that far - they still are pleasant and wholesome. But I would say they also know how to "keep the lights on"...
They'll for sure find the right balance (they already have found it, tbh) between "negativity and wholesomeness"

they're not shitting on nintendo to make more money come on

if anything (and this is a big "if anything"), it could be a subconscious reaction to nintendo kinda stinking right now. we know nothing about zelda, pikmin 4, 3D mario, hardware plans, etc

edit: they also have been talking about wii u a lot recently which they definitely have bad memories with lol

Last edited:

WHERE

DID

THAT

SWEATER

COME

FROM?

Also, the bell bag. I saw that in an earlier episode. I want that too.

@kitosan, what is happening?

If they start using thumbnails saying "<something> is TRASH!!" we'll know what their strategy is.

Is this because of the Wii U episode? If so, their reactions are totally justified. It was the most negative period in Nintendo’s console producing history.

I'm sorry in advance and I don't want to annoy people who enjoy their content, but personally I don't find them particularly relevant or particularly likeable. Maybe they specifically target an audience that isn't me, I don't know.

I tried several times to watch the channel they started on Youtube and at best I find them boring, at worst a bit annoying. However, this is exactly the type of content that interests me and that I usually like with other creators, for example on Youtube.

But there is something that I find quite artificial in their approach from the start. For me, they are always first and foremost marketing people rather than journalists, and I still don't like that the difference between the two professions tends to disappear so much.

They don't work for Nintendo anymore, but to me, even when they're critical, they still behave like people selling something – just something else.

Maybe I'm saying nonsense, but I really expected it to please me more, I had a far from negative preconception, and it really didn't do it for me at all .

Some unfortunate news: Nintendo's been privating the old Nintendo Minute videos.

Really disappointing they're erasing it all like this. Bleh. Hope there's an archive somewhere...

Just out of curiosity: When did Kit and Krysta start their Youtube channel? And when was the last time we had a Nintendo Treehouse with NoA employees on screen playing games?

They started their current show back in February, and the last Treehouse Live we got was in August.

Yeah its disappointing Nintendo's doing that but it's not at all surprising. Thought they would've done it sooner honestly.

I mean, they’ve been increasingly critical of Nintendo and though some of it is justified they also say a bunch of very uninformed stuff like when they were criticising the Splatoon 3 Direct with a lot of incorrect statements. Makes sense Nintendo wouldn’t want to leave up videos that indirectly promote them and their relationship with Nintendo. I don’t know how long they can continue to milk their career history but I’m already bored and haven’t watched any of their recent stuff. I’m guessing there will never be another program like that again too on Nintendo’s channel.

I mean, they’ve been increasingly critical of Nintendo and though some of it is justified they also say a bunch of very uninformed stuff like when they were criticising the Splatoon 3 Direct with a lot of incorrect statements. Makes sense Nintendo wouldn’t want to leave up videos that indirectly promote them and their relationship with Nintendo. I don’t know how long they can continue to milk their career history but I’m already bored and haven’t watched any of their recent stuff. I’m guessing there will never be another program like that again too on Nintendo’s channel.
They actually talked on the podcast why there likely won't be a program like that on Nintendo's channel ever again because they mostly don't want to have a human face on things anymore.

I don't remember what the Splatoon 3 Direct criticisms were, but on the backward compatibility I don't think they're totally wrong mainly in the regard that the Switch has no backward compatibility, restarting Virtual Console on 3 platforms and then not doing it on Switch. Yes some of their previous systems did BC well, such as the handhelds keeping compatibility with at least one generation back, Wii with GameCube, Wii U with Wii, but I think Virtual Console was a particularly big misstep with BC. Wii U kind of had something with the upgrade option, but otherwise you were stuck going into Wii mode if you chose not to upgrade. They did the drip feed again on both 3DS and Wii U.

They actually talked on the podcast why there likely won't be a program like that on Nintendo's channel ever again because they mostly don't want to have a human face on things anymore.

I don't remember what the Splatoon 3 Direct criticisms were, but on the backward compatibility I don't think they're totally wrong mainly in the regard that the Switch has no backward compatibility, restarting Virtual Console on 3 platforms and then not doing it on Switch. Yes some of their previous systems did BC well, such as the handhelds keeping compatibility with at least one generation back, Wii with GameCube, Wii U with Wii, but I think Virtual Console was a particularly big misstep with BC. Wii U kind of had something with the upgrade option, but otherwise you were stuck going into Wii mode if you chose not to upgrade. They did the drip feed again on both 3DS and Wii U.

Could you do all your Wii stuff on your WiiU? Yes. That the UX was sub-optimal doesn't change the answer so acting like it doesn't count is churlish. The Switch was a clean break, but there were reasons for that, reasons that don't apply this time. Dripfeed is irrelevant.

The reason Krysta is getting some raised eyebrows over her BC comments is because she dismissed all of that, and just went, "Backwards compatibility? Lol Nintendo!" It was a rather mean-spirited comment so it is somewhat understandable why Nintendo would start to get uncomfortable letting them continue to have a legacy role as the face of the company while their tone seems to be getting more hostile. You can't talk smack about a company and air their dirty laundry and expect to continue representing them (remember YouTube is somewhat time agnostic so my Kit & Krysta viewing habits are leading to more old Nintendo Minute videos in my feed).

Now that Nintendo have shot the hostage, this is a turning point. Will Kit and Krysta take the gloves off even more, or will they take the high road?

But even more importantly, will we see more awesome jumpers?

They hit 50k, Sonic Week incoming!

TlNzHH4.gif

Lol if anything it is better when people are more critical of Nintendo and it is only great to see that they can be critical and reflective as former employees.

Lol if anything it is better when people are more critical of Nintendo and it is only great to see that they can be critical and reflective as former employees.
Like I said, some of their criticisms were justified but some of their stuff is also very uniformed and full of click bait and I’ve stopped watching sometime ago. Anyway good luck to them or whatever.

just watched their lastest two episodes and I liked them a lot.
I agree with some stuff, others not so much, but in general, they seem to be improving a lot.

Back
Top Bottom